As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

MOTW 4-1-09: Where YOU are the fool...

13»

• Options
    ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited April 2009
    My MOTW, as usual, involves stuff that's so old it might've been read by the Dinosaurs.

But to digress; I knocked off The Walking Dead hardcovers 2, 3 and 4 this past weekend. They were amazing.

Also; HOLY SHIT!

It's cost effective to keep up on the trades with Fables and the Walking Dead, but I admit it feels a bit off to be shocked/excited for stuff you guys were discussing months or years ago.

Forar on
    First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • Options
    HadjiQuestHadjiQuest Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    TexiKen wrote: »
    JSA has been bad since the Lightning Saga, and the Alex Ross issues were about 4 issues too long (8 if you count the one shots). I think I might be the only one who liked the Black Adam arc, and I attribute that to Ordway.

And Green Lantern hasn't been good since Sinestro Corps war, and GL Corps has been consistently better over the past year. Secret Origins was unnecessary and a waste of Reis on art.

His Action Comics issues were good though. Balls good.

He spread himself too thin, and needs to regroup. Its like Morrison 3 years ago. Pick 2 books, and that's it (which I think he is doing now, GL and Flash)

He's still master of ceremonies to a degree with planning on the Superman books. I guess he's plotted out everything for Rucka and Robinson right through midway next year, probably a couple storylines past Kal's return to earth.

Ohh, right. That's because he's going to be doing Superman: Secret Origins over the summer. Then he's supposed to come back to Action Comics after WoNK is over.

HadjiQuest on
  • Options
    Witch_Hunter_84Witch_Hunter_84 Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    War of Kings #2 for sure.
    The way the Inhumans are using Blackbolts voice to poswer all their weapons to deliver screaming death to the Shi'ar is just too sweet. Not to mention the tension that's starting to happen between Crystal and Medusa over the whole "peoples' princess" thing.

Witch_Hunter_84 on
    If you can't beat them, arrange to have them beaten in your presence.
  • Options
    ScooterScooter Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    The way the Inhumans are using Blackbolts voice to poswer all their weapons to deliver screaming death to the Shi'ar is just too sweet. Not to mention the tension that's starting to happen between Crystal and Medusa over the whole "peoples' princess" thing.

It's also a good way to explain how the Kree are able to fight at all considering what they've been through recently, compared to the Shi'ar only having a minor civil war.

Scooter on
  • Options
    KVWKVW Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Scooter wrote: »

It's also a good way to explain how the Kree are able to fight at all considering what they've been through recently, compared to the Shi'ar only having a minor civil war.

I dont know, Cassandra Nova did fuck their shit up pretty bad when she took Xavier out there. Vulcan coming in later with his Commodus-like reign didnt help either. No Annihilation Wave or Phalanx, but still not exactly a walk in the park for them. I just want to kno wwhere the Badoon are. They should be conquering everyone.

KVW on
  • Options
    valiancevaliance Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Immortal Weapons Mini_Series? http://www.newsarama.com/comics/040904-FatCobra.html yesplz

valiance on
  • Options
    MunchMunch Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Golden Yak wrote: »
    Munch, you need to do a post that comprehensive every week.

If only there was that much great material coming out every comic book day...

I usually try to do a few scans and some mini-reviews every week, but sometimes it slips my mind. Glad you enjoyed it though! I always like exposing people to comics they might otherwise be unaware of.
    KVW wrote:
    If only someone else did something similar every week on their blog *hintblatantblogwhoringhint*.

For what it's worth, I love your blog. It's one of my favorites, right up there with 4th Letter and Funnybook Babylon.
    I do see the Moebius/Darrow influence as well. This is a guy I'll be keeping an eye out for... unless I forget again.

Yeah, I'm really excited to see what he does next.

Munch on
  • Options
    Unco-ordinatedUnco-ordinated NZRegistered User regular
    edited April 2009
    TexiKen wrote: »
    JSA has been bad since the Lightning Saga, and the Alex Ross issues were about 4 issues too long (8 if you count the one shots). I think I might be the only one who liked the Black Adam arc, and I attribute that to Ordway.

And Green Lantern hasn't been good since Sinestro Corps war, and GL Corps has been consistently better over the past year. Secret Origins was unnecessary and a waste of Reis on art.

His Action Comics issues were good though. Balls good.

He spread himself too thin, and needs to regroup. Its like Morrison 3 years ago. Pick 2 books, and that's it (which I think he is doing now, GL and Flash)

Totally agree on Green Lantern, his writing has been tacky as hell since Sinestro Corps. Rewriting his origin just to fit in Blackest Night references, really? Hal Jordan = Captain Planet, really? His writing was pretty mediocre between Rebirth and Sinestro Corps too, so hopefully he'll repeat himself and make Blackest Night really good.

I can't agree at all with you on JSA though. 4 issues too long? It was at least 10 issues too long. I still can't believe that entire storyline took place over 17 bloody issues (including the Annual and the three one-shots), it could've been condensed down to a 6-issue arc, with the Earth-2 arc happening in a seperate 3-issue arc. I can't say I liked the Black Adam arc but I doubt Johns had that much to do with it anyway, Ordway seemed to be writing it. None of the characters seemed to act in-character and Mary's inclusion made no sense at all given what happened in Final Crisis (Ordway didn't even seem to know that Desaad had actually possessed her).

Action Comics, yeah I liked most of it but I don't really understand why they feel the need to wave a retcon wand around everything. Is it really THAT hard to stick with a single origin?

Unco-ordinated on
    Steam ID - LiquidSolid170 | PSN ID - LiquidSolid
  • Options
    JoeUserJoeUser Forum Santa Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    KVW wrote: »
    Golden Yak wrote: »
    Munch, you need to do a post that comprehensive every week.

If only there was that much great material coming out every comic book day...

If only someone else did something similar every week on their blog *hintblatantblogwhoringhint*.

Hey, I read your blog! I didn't know that was you!

JoeUser on