As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Fantasy Sandbox]Dwarfs (and non Dwarfs) go Adventuring (and Zombie Survival-ing)

• Options
    Kristmas KthulhuKristmas Kthulhu Currently Kultist Kthulhu Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    That's my last day of finals. Sign me the hell up.

Kristmas Kthulhu on
  • Options
    SUPERSUGASUPERSUGA Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Ultros64, psycojester and WDDBM it is. A party of three is my perfect number. We'll do this as a seperate thing to the group that played last time. Do you want to plunge into the same sandbox (map somewhere in this thread, perhaps with a different starting point) or try your hand at zombie survival?

SUPERSUGA on
  • Options
    Kristmas KthulhuKristmas Kthulhu Currently Kultist Kthulhu Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Are you joking of course zombies.

Kristmas Kthulhu on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    I've been so silly. Obviously the solution is to dump my zombie scenario in the sandbox I made and get the best of both worlds.

On this map...

sandbox.jpg

...you'll be arriving at the village of Redway, which is exactly five hexes (about 15 miles) south of Bluewater. Would be helpful if your characters knew eachother beforehand and had some casual reason to be going into this village.

I think this time I'll say no optional rules, unless I tell you otherwise. This means no racial perks this time, as they're awaiting a little tweaking from myself, so let's keep charaters core. Of course, there's nothing stopping you being a Dwarf without taking any dwarf perks, so I'd say aim for dwarf or human characters, considering the area.

SUPERSUGA on
  • Options
    psycojesterpsycojester Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Okay so basically we're going to playing mercenaries/adventurers/whatevers fleeing from a George Romero style zombie apocalypse in a fantasy world and wound up together in some podunk nowhere backwater town?

psycojester on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    Ultros64Ultros64 Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    I'm good with either option. Zombies might get a little too predictable after awhile, but I guess you could fight zombies in different situations.

Ultros64 on
    It doesn't matter what I say, as long as I sing with inflection
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Can we use the extra class perks?

For my fellow adventurers, my character idea is a human rogue who uses a crossbow and throwing knives.

Edit: @ Ultros

While I personally think zombies are really cool, the way to keep things interesting when they're your main antagonists is to switch up the situations.

One zombie? Maybe not a big deal. Fifteen zombies? Now you're talking.

That not doing it for ya? How about a squad of zombie giants being commanded by an evil wizard? The zombies are also on fire.

The possibilities are nearly endless.

Kristmas Kthulhu on
  • Options
    INeedNoSaltINeedNoSalt with blood on my teeth Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    boo, i missed this?

lame

INeedNoSalt on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    boo, i missed this?

lame
    There'll be another chance! Or feel free to get another game going.

As for concerns of zombies getting predictable, it's not like it's "all zombies, all the time". They're just the focus of this first little scenario. Plus it's a sandbox, so if you don't like it you can just walk away and find somewhere else to explore.

It's certainly not zombie apocalypse, but I don't want to go into it too much for the sake of spoilers. Rest assured most of the world is zombie-free.

As for the extra class perks... I'll say yes. But on the condition that if I somehow made one broken and forgot about it I can veto it off your character. Shouldn't be a problem.

SUPERSUGA on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Rahim of the Dead Mire
    Human Bayou Hunter

Body 5
    Shooting 5, Grace 5, Wisdom 2, Melee 1
    Precision: +2 damage on critical hits with weapons of damage 3 or less
    Dagger x2, Longbow, 20ft rope
    Bless

Gold
    Dre__s_Archer_by_darkfong.jpg

Decided not to use the extra perk anyway, SUGA. I've also got a backstory in the works.

Kristmas Kthulhu on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    I'll be using the same guy as I rolled up before.

Mordrim the Dutiful
    Cleric of Kurzah the Just (Scholar, Dwarf)
    Body 5
    Wisdom 7
    Melee 4
    Shooting 2
    Craft 1

Perks
    Learned - +2 Wisdom
    Spellbook - Learn 2 spells

Spells
    Healing Touch
    Practical Magic

Items
    Staff
    2 Days Worth of Rations
    Robe

3 GP (6 - 3 http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/2038229/ )

Backstory
    Mordrim is an initiate of the High Clergy of Kurzah, the God of Justice and Law. While Kurzah holds no preference for his worshippers, many of his devoted are Dwarves who admire the stoic and honorable nature of his judgements. Clerics of Kurzah are not typical in their worship; unlike other deities whom grant blessings to followers helping the needy or poor, the followers of Kurzah act as Judges and experts of law. Their verdicts are known to be fair and just, and their courts are among the most incorruptible in the lands. Many creatures, be they Man, Dwarf or Elf, have traveled many miles to their High Halls seeking a fair trial.

The High Halls of Kurzah are currently located in an immense Dwarven city named "Kurzaalathrum", translated literally meaning "Hall of God Law". This is the town where Mordrim hails from, and his clan makes up a majority of the High Clergy. Having reached the respectable position of Initiate, he now travels to bring justice and equality throughout the land in his deity's name.

I got other stuff too, but I thought I would keep it brief.

Ultros64 on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Looks good!

SUPERSUGA on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Since we've got a scholar and a rogue already would it be a more balanced party if i went warrior or would two rogues work alright?

psycojester on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    It's up to you, really. Neither character is particularly fragile, the Cleric's practically a fighter, so I wouldn't worry too much about creating an ineffective group. Go for whatever you want, I say.

SUPERSUGA on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Remigo Devante

Body: 4

Melee: 5
    Grace: 5
    Awareness: 2
    Shooting: 1

Perks:
    Athletic
    Weapon Master (sword)

Equipment: Light armour, Sword, Dagger, cloak, torch, hat
    gold 3g
    Chi_Fong_by_darkfong.jpg I was trying to find something in the style of the traditional highwayman look, but its bloody difficult to find something appropriate

Backstory:
    Remigo was born the 5th son of a wealthy mercantile family. Knowing he was too far down the order of inheritance to ever inherit the family fortune, Remigo instead devoted himself to drinking, dueling, wenching and generally having a good time on the families money. This extravagant lifestyle came to an end with the untimely death of Remigo's parents in an untimely carriage accident, leaving Remigo's eldest brother Lucio as head of the family. Within the hour of his succession Lucio had dredged Remigo out of a tavern, explained to him the importance of maintaining the family's name and image amongst the community, presented him with a large pouch of gold and told him that if he wasn't gone from the city by sundown he'd be leaving it via the river in cement shoes.

Since then Remigo has made a living by the sword, hiring himself out as an arms master, caravan guard or sell-sword to whomever have need of his services. These jobs rarely last for any length of time as Remigo never learned to keep a civil tounge in his head and tends to find himself fired with alarming frequency and rapidity. Most recently Remigo can be found drinking away the last of his gold following a short stint as a arms instructor to a minor nobles son.

psycojester on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Sword, Dagger, Cloak and Hat? I like.

SUPERSUGA on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Reminder: This will begin at 7pm GMT tomorrow in #TAT on irc.magicstar.net

For the timezone-illiterate I'm posting this at 4:45pm

SUPERSUGA on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Roger. About how long was your last session? And are we just going to go until it feels done, or do you have a specific stopping point in mind?

Kristmas Kthulhu on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    I think the last session ran just under 3 hours, but I find it's best to see how it feels.

Do you guys have any strong feelings on starting off knowing eachother or encountering eachother for the first time at the start of play? I can work either way into things but having you already be together for whatever reason would get us into the proper game quicker.

SUPERSUGA on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Just logged on to check out how it works. I couldn't connect to irc.magicstar.com, but I could connect to irc.magicstar.net.

I'm assuming this is the correct server or whatever?

Kristmas Kthulhu on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    irc.magicstar.net is the right one, sorry. Edited to avoid confusion.

Anyhow, I'm in #TAT now

SUPERSUGA on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    I'm there now also.

Kristmas Kthulhu on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    An hour behind schedule now, are you still planning on coming, Ultros and psyco?. I'll stick around for a while longer but I don't want to start too late in the evening.

SUPERSUGA on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Hey losers, remember when you were all "Hey, we should play this game soon." And I was like "Yeah, let's do this shit." And Suga said "So we're doing it on Thursday." And then you guys didn't show up?

It kinda sucked.

:(

Kristmas Kthulhu on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Hey i showed up, turns out i just fucking suck at working out timezones.

psycojester on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    I'm so sorry, but I had my car break down on my way back from work and spent a huge amount of time trying to get it to a shop. Couldn't get a hold of anyone at all, and it took forever.

Again, very sorry. If it makes you feel any better, I had to spend $473 dollars on a new starter and a fried battery. :/

This shouldn't happen again.

Ultros64 on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    No worries, Ultros. I figured you'd have a good reason, so don't feel bad. We got a stand in and had a fun session, but will definitely try and do a follow up. Working your character in shouldn't be difficult at all if you can make it next time.

A proper writeup may materialise soon. Hope you all enjoyed it.

SUPERSUGA on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Well, I'm really sorry to hear that, Ultros. Hopefully your car will stay functioning for a good while. But yeah, we had a good time. It'd be great if you could make it next time.

Kristmas Kthulhu on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Yeah it was a lot of fun, and Remigo could always use more bag carriers.

psycojester on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    One minor change to the rules. The rule where a natural 6 always hits a natural 1 is back. No more zombie-immunity for you, Remigo.

SUPERSUGA on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    So would you guys be up for continuing this on Thursday at 8pm GMT? That's the time that psycojester actually showed up at, thinking it was 7pm.

Ultros, I'm sure I can work you in if you can make it.

SUPERSUGA on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Yes indeed.

Kristmas Kthulhu on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Yep works for me.

psycojester on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    We'll make it happen. Room will be #TAT on irc.magicstar.net as usual. I'll try and be in there beforehand but if you're super-early I'll be around in #rpgnet and #rpg_design

SUPERSUGA on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    I'm not sure if I'm going to be able to get there this week. I'm spending the week out in Arizona to visit some relatives and I'm not sure how much access I'll have to a computer.

You have no idea how much I want to test out this system, yet it seems that I'm repeatedly barred from doing that. :/ I'll keep you updated as I find out my schedule.

Ultros64 on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Well rest assured, even if you miss this opportunity there'll be others. I need to test the hell out of this right now.

SUPERSUGA on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Reminder. We're scheduled to begin 2 hours 35 mins from now. A slight problem may arise that leads to me being up to 30 mins late, but I won't be any later than that. Chances are it won't be an issue at all, so still assume we'll begin at the planned time.

SUPERSUGA on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Okay. The time is now.

SUPERSUGA on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Oh shit. That was today, wasn't it?

Kristmas Kthulhu on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Sorry about missing it guys, i think i might pull out for any future sessions as well. 5 in the morning just isn't workable.

psycojester on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]