Options

[EvE] It's slightly less boring than discussing politics

• Options
    delrolanddelroland Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Pel wrote: »
    Before they released the patch I thought they said that T3 would be easier to fly than T2? Did they scrap this idea?

T3's are cruiser-class, and so they have many of the same prereqs as HAC's. However, in order to use them, you don't need one skill; you need six:

Strategic Cruiser
    Offensive Subsystems
    Defensive Subsystems
    Propulsion Subsystems
    Engineering Subsystems
    Electronic Subsystems

Furthermore, each skill has four different versions corresponding to each of the four races.

Edit: doing further research, I found that each of the subsystem skills is (1x) learning speed, but each time you are in a T3 cruiser when it gets destroyed, one of your subsystem skills (randomly determined) loses a rank.

delroland on
    EVE: Online - the most fun you will ever have not playing a game.
    "Go up, thou bald head." -2 Kings 2:23
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    So fucking pissed right now.

Doing the Sisters of Eve epic story arc and I hit a snag. One of the last missions has you up against a battlecruiser, and I can't do enough damage in a frigate to overcome the NPC's armor repair, nor do I have enough skill to fly a cruiser.

Server downtime is up in 15m, and I miss out on a big bonus if I don't finish in the time limit, so I put out a call for help, asking if anyone can bring some extra firepower to drop this guy. Someone volunteers and says she is piloting a Thorax. Cool, that should do it. So I create the fleet, and the Thorax pilot flies out with five minutes left til server shutdown. Plenty of time, right?

EXCEPT THE FUCKING MORON DIDN'T BRING ANY FUCKING AMMUNITION TO LOAD HER FUCKING GUNS.

Fucking.

Fantastic.

And of course, by the time she gets to a station, buys some ammo, and gets back to the Deadspace area, the server shuts down. All in all, this costs me 155k, a decent chunk of change for where my character is currently at financially.

Thanks a lot, fuckwad.

delroland on
  • Options
    ZzuluZzulu Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    I really don't care about t3

It's another toy I probably will never use. Like Marauders or capitals.

Too expensive or too skill intensive (or both). I am doomed to fly my rokh for all eternity.

Which isn't so bad because the rokh is awesome <3

Zzulu on
    t5qfc9.jpg
  • Options
    BrilliantInsanityBrilliantInsanity Charleston, WVRegistered User regular
    edited April 2009
    I don't play anymore, but seeing B.O.B disbanded and so much space covered by Goonswarm gives me much glee and satisfaction.

BrilliantInsanity on
    steam_sig.png

Sixty -40- on Origin for some ME3 goodness.
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/brilliantinsanity/
  • Options
    electricitylikesmeelectricitylikesme Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    delroland wrote: »
    So fucking pissed right now.

Doing the Sisters of Eve epic story arc and I hit a snag. One of the last missions has you up against a battlecruiser, and I can't do enough damage in a frigate to overcome the NPC's armor repair, nor do I have enough skill to fly a cruiser.

Server downtime is up in 15m, and I miss out on a big bonus if I don't finish in the time limit, so I put out a call for help, asking if anyone can bring some extra firepower to drop this guy. Someone volunteers and says she is piloting a Thorax. Cool, that should do it. So I create the fleet, and the Thorax pilot flies out with five minutes left til server shutdown. Plenty of time, right?

EXCEPT THE FUCKING MORON DIDN'T BRING ANY FUCKING AMMUNITION TO LOAD HER FUCKING GUNS.

Fucking.

Fantastic.

And of course, by the time she gets to a station, buys some ammo, and gets back to the Deadspace area, the server shuts down. All in all, this costs me 155k, a decent chunk of change for where my character is currently at financially.

Thanks a lot, fuckwad.
    Firstly lol pubbies.

Secondly 155k means you're doing it wrong.

electricitylikesme on
  • Options
    MuddBuddMuddBudd Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Edit: doing further research, I found that each of the subsystem skills is (1x) learning speed, but each time you are in a T3 cruiser when it gets destroyed, one of your subsystem skills (randomly determined) loses a rank.

Wait, what?

That's fucking stupid.

Why the fuck would anyone ever use them then? Ship turnover in EVE is insane, nobody would waste their training time like that.

MuddBudd on
    There's no plan, there's no race to be run
    The harder the rain, honey, the sweeter the sun.
  • Options
    DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    MuddBudd wrote: »

Why the fuck would anyone ever use them then? Ship turnover in EVE is insane, nobody would waste their training time like that.

It's all part of the race to have a reward for the guys who have a bajillion more SP and isk than normal folks that doesn't make it so new characters are utterly worthless. Sure, a 15m SP character who never has more of a buffer than 100m isk won't fly one, but people who have been playing much longer sometimes don't even have anything they want to train anyway.

Darkewolfe on
    What is this I don't even.
  • Options
    DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    edited April 2009

Wait, what?

That's fucking stupid.

Well I imagine people will be more willing to eject before their shit gets wrecked, if you eject before you blow up you don't lose any of those skillpoints. And the reasoning behind it is that you're even more hardwired into the t3 ships so that when they're destroyed it hurts you too. Or something. I'm sure there's some balance reasons for it as well, to make it a tiny bit less appealing so that everyone doesn't switch over to t3 ships and never fly t2 or t1 or something, fuck I don't know anything.

Darmak on
    JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    blackdegreeblackdegree Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    as a part of a wormhole cartel, i don't care, but it's making us all rich

blackdegree on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    MelMel Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Darkewolfe wrote: »

It's all part of the race to have a reward for the guys who have a bajillion more SP and isk than normal folks that doesn't make it so new characters are utterly worthless. Sure, a 15m SP character who never has more of a buffer than 100m isk won't fly one, but people who have been playing much longer sometimes don't even have anything they want to train anyway.

This. It's a skill-sink designed for high sp characters with nothing useful left to train. The subsystems only take 5 days to get to level 5, so it's really not a big loss for anyone with nothing better to train. As it stands, it'd take most players a lot longer than that to build up enough isk to replace the loss, so yeah.

Anyway it's irrelevant because they seem to be pretty terrible. It'd make sense if: a) they weren't such a huge money-sink in addition to the skill cost; b) the benefits of flying one actually justified the skill and/or money cost.

Mel on
    71854.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    the only ones that appear worth flying are the ones built from subsystems that haven't been released yet XD

blackdegree on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Firstly lol pubbies.

Secondly 155k means you're doing it wrong.

Not if you're in empire space soloing with a new character. I know the real money is in 0.0, and I plan to go there, but not until my skills don't completely suck.

It doesn't take long to hit 10m ISK when the missions pay 100-400k per, but it's annoying to lose out on a 150k bonus because of someone else's idiocy.

---

If I'm going to do the exploration thing, is it even feasible with the t1 frig in 0.0? Or should I just wait until I can fly a covert ops?

delroland on
  • Options
    Teslan26Teslan26 Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    It's like LEGO in space, only more awesome.

I vote this for new thread title.

Yes, yes I do.

As an aside, jump clonesa are spare bodies which you get to use with impunity cause if they blow up... lol.

Right?

Are they expensive? How does one get one (last corp I was in they talked about needing permissions to have one)?

Teslan26 on
  • Options
    EQDuffyEQDuffy Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Finally resubscribed. I haven't played in over a year, so I wasn't so surprised I'm not in Merch anymore, I sent an application.

The real pain in the ass is going to be getting all my stuff from 77s to Delve. Just suck it up and sell it?

EQDuffy on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    if you think you can sell it, yeah, that will be the best bet. There isn't really a safe route from 77s -> delve anymore. If you have a cap, you can try to ninja/ctrl+q jump through stain with cyno alts, but results not guaranteed.

blackdegree on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    EQDuffyEQDuffy Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Kinda figured. It's just a few battleships, a hac, and some fittings, so I guess I'll put them on the market. I have enough isk to buy and fit a ratting ship once I get back out to 0.0, so it's not like I'm crippled.

It really has been a while since I played, the warp and jump effects are completely different.

EQDuffy on
  • Options
    ToneLoc777ToneLoc777 Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    It doesn't take long to hit 10m ISK when the missions pay 100-400k per, but it's annoying to lose out on a 150k bonus because of someone else's idiocy.

While I agree the Thorax coming to help without any ammo is pretty dumb, you can't lay the full blame on him. You gotta do your homework before going into a mission to make sure you have a ship that not only can tank the mission, but is capable of putting out enough damage to finish it.

Keep this link handy for either in-game or out of game, it's pretty helpful for making sure you've got the right damage type to deal and set up resists for and knowing what you're up against:
    http://eve-survival.org/wikka.php?wakka=MissionReports

ToneLoc777 on
    ToneLoc777.png
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Darmak wrote: »

Wait, what?

That's fucking stupid.

Well I imagine people will be more willing to eject before their shit gets wrecked, if you eject before you blow up you don't lose any of those skillpoints. And the reasoning behind it is that you're even more hardwired into the t3 ships so that when they're destroyed it hurts you too. Or something. I'm sure there's some balance reasons for it as well, to make it a tiny bit less appealing so that everyone doesn't switch over to t3 ships and never fly t2 or t1 or something, fuck I don't know anything.

Also, because of the inherent value of t3 cruisers, there's a halfway decent chance that the attacker will allow the t3 pilot to eject just so that they can grab the newly abandoned ship and repair it up. I know I would, keeping their ship as ransom in exchange for not podding them.

delroland on
  • Options
    ArcSynArcSyn Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    How long's it take to get Merch Inc forum access? I was wonderfully giving the right direction last night to get my skills up to snuff to start helping out with the ships that are available for newbs, but I was hoping to read up on some of the things in the forums while I wait the ~3 days for my skills to finish.

ArcSyn on
    4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • Options
    TheLawinatorTheLawinator Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Yea, I'm still waiting on that too, I evemailed whoever we're supposed to mail but that might be outdated.

TheLawinator on
    My SteamID Gamertag and PSN: TheLawinator
  • Options
    MadpandaMadpanda suburbs west of chicagoRegistered User regular
    edited April 2009
    I just mentioned it in corpchat in the morning and somebody auth'd me.

Madpanda on
    camo_sig2.png
    Steam/PSN/XBL/Minecraft / LoL / - Benevicious | WoW - Duckwood - Rajhek
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    EQDuffy wrote: »
    Kinda figured. It's just a few battleships, a hac, and some fittings, so I guess I'll put them on the market. I have enough isk to buy and fit a ratting ship once I get back out to 0.0, so it's not like I'm crippled.

It really has been a while since I played, the warp and jump effects are completely different.

keep in mind you can just insurance fraud your battleships, and you can probably try to move your HAC up to some RA owned station and be able to unload it pretty easily there.

blackdegree on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    What happens if you put a 10MN ab on a frigate? Are we talking speed +1000%?

delroland on
  • Options
    littwentythreelittwentythree Registered User regular
    edited April 2009

On the frigates that you can fit a 10mn afterburner, it'll basically be like a 1mn microwarpdrive that uses less cap, doesn't bloat your signature radius, and makes you align in 20+ seconds.

littwentythree on
    newsig.png
  • Options
    KiTAKiTA Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    We were unable to locate a patchfile for your build no. (3913).
    Your Operating System Windows
    Your Build 3913
    Latest Build 85476
    File Size FULL

So it turns out my client is a little old. Whoops.

In addition my client keeps complaining about DirectX 9.0b, when I'm running Vista and according to the DirectX files, I have the latest DX9 stuff. Any ideas? Just a quirk of the older client?

KiTA on
  • Options
    Teslan26Teslan26 Registered User regular
    edited April 2009

On the frigates that you can fit a 10mn afterburner, it'll basically be like a 1mn microwarpdrive that uses less cap, doesn't bloat your signature radius, and makes you align in 20+ seconds.

I assume, assume, that the big issue would be power grid for fitting that? You'd not have much left for anything else.

Teslan26 on
  • Options
    MadpandaMadpanda suburbs west of chicagoRegistered User regular
    edited April 2009
    KiTA wrote: »
    Your Build 3913
    Latest Build 85476
    File Size FULL

In addition my client keeps complaining about DirectX 9.0b, when I'm running Vista and according to the DirectX files, I have the latest DX9 stuff. Any ideas? Just a quirk of the older client?

Just download the new installer from the website, I am running Vista x64 and it didn't bother me about DirectX. Friendslists and notes are stored server side, the only thing you would loose is portrait cache and overview settings.

Madpanda on
    camo_sig2.png
    Steam/PSN/XBL/Minecraft / LoL / - Benevicious | WoW - Duckwood - Rajhek
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Madpanda wrote: »
    Your Build 3913
    Latest Build 85476
    File Size FULL

Just download the new installer from the website, I am running Vista x64 and it didn't bother me about DirectX. Friendslists and notes are stored server side, the only thing you would loose is portrait cache and overview settings.

Nice to know about the Friends and Notes et all.

Hm. I apparently was punted from MerchI for inactivity. At least, my forum account was killed off. Have to see what's going on, I guess.

KiTA on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Teslan26 wrote: »

I assume, assume, that the big issue would be power grid for fitting that? You'd not have much left for anything else.

Rifter with 3 power arrays and Engineering V has 83.75 to 91.25 power grid, depending on the quality of the arrays. A 10mn afterburner uses 50, so you could still fit a webifier (1), scrambler (1), and 4 nos (32).

delroland on
  • Options
    DeadlySherpaDeadlySherpa Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Your Build 3913
    Latest Build 85476
    File Size FULL

if you've got the really old client, it went through several iterations- classic, which they enhanced with some premium graphics, and now the premium lite which is a whole new bag of fish and you'll have to download as a completely new client.

DeadlySherpa on
    tf2_sig.png
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Your Build 3913
    Latest Build 85476
    File Size FULL

if you've got the really old client, it went through several iterations- classic, which they enhanced with some premium graphics, and now the premium lite which is a whole new bag of fish and you'll have to download as a completely new client.

Yeah... 45 minutes left on the new client. I last played um, a few months back. Trinity or whatnot had came out recently.

I think I'm gonna roll up a new toon (er.. I mean... start a new character) and go through the tutorial again. Maybe firesale all my old stuff and reclaim the name, or somesuch.

The UI was really um, hard to get used to. I was at the point that I could drone tank and spank 3 1.5M+ Rats at a time, but it was iffy at best. I was thinking of switching to a different combat style, probably lasers or something. Drone combat was just... MEH.

Wonder if it'd be wiser just to start training my existing character over towards that, instead of deleting and rerolling... Hm...

KiTA on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Wonder if it'd be wiser just to start training my existing character over towards that, instead of deleting and rerolling... Hm...

Prolly be easier to go Caldari and keep the existing character. That way you can still use hybrid turrets until you get missles trained up.

delroland on
  • Options
    edited April 2009

Prolly be easier to go Caldari and keep the existing character. That way you can still use hybrid turrets until you get missles trained up.

Existing character is Gallente, I believe.

Edit: Yeah. IIRC the last thing I did in game was get myself a Dominix.

CharDump:
    Xython

Attributes
    Intelligence: 17.28
    Perception: 19.44
    Charisma: 9.72
    Willpower: 16.20
    Memory: 15.12

Corporation Management
    level1.gif Anchoring
    Total Skillpoints in Group: 750

Drones
    level1.gif Combat Drone Operation
    level1.gif Drone Durability
    level5.gif Drone Interfacing
    level5.gif Drone Navigation
    level4.gif Drone Sharpshooting
    level5.gif Drones
    level4.gif Gallente Drone Specialization
    level5.gif Heavy Drone Operation
    level1.gif Mining Drone Operation
    level1.gif Repair Drone Operation
    level4.gif Scout Drone Operation
    Total Skillpoints in Group: 3,401,306

Electronics
    level1.gif Cloaking
    level2.gif Electronic Warfare
    level5.gif Electronics
    level0.gif Electronics Upgrades
    level1.gif Long Range Targeting
    level2.gif Propulsion Jamming
    level0.gif Sensor Linking
    level0.gif Signature Analysis
    level3.gif Survey
    level4.gif Targeting
    Total Skillpoints in Group: 318,332

Engineering
    level3.gif Energy Emission Systems
    level5.gif Energy Grid Upgrades
    level4.gif Energy Management
    level0.gif Energy Pulse Weapons
    level4.gif Energy Systems Operation
    level4.gif Engineering
    level0.gif Shield Management
    level0.gif Shield Operation
    level0.gif Shield Upgrades
    Total Skillpoints in Group: 754,284

Gunnery
    level2.gif Controlled Bursts
    level3.gif Gunnery
    level1.gif Medium Hybrid Turret
    level3.gif Motion Prediction
    level0.gif Rapid Firing
    level0.gif Sharpshooter
    level0.gif Small Energy Turret
    level3.gif Small Hybrid Turret
    level5.gif Weapon Upgrades
    Total Skillpoints in Group: 547,582

Industry
    level1.gif Industry
    level4.gif Mining
    level2.gif Refining
    Total Skillpoints in Group: 47,050

Leadership
    level0.gif Leadership
    Total Skillpoints in Group: 51

Learning
    level4.gif Analytical Mind
    level4.gif Clarity
    level3.gif Eidetic Memory
    level2.gif Empathy
    level4.gif Focus
    level4.gif Instant Recall
    level4.gif Iron Will
    level4.gif Learning
    level3.gif Logic
    level5.gif Spatial Awareness
    Total Skillpoints in Group: 757,965

Mechanic
    level4.gif Hull Upgrades
    level1.gif Jury Rigging
    level4.gif Mechanic
    level1.gif Remote Armor Repair Systems
    level2.gif Remote Hull Repair Systems
    level4.gif Repair Systems
    level3.gif Salvaging
    Total Skillpoints in Group: 208,849

Navigation
    level0.gif Acceleration Control
    level4.gif Afterburner
    level0.gif Evasive Maneuvering
    level0.gif Fuel Conservation
    level1.gif High Speed Maneuvering
    level4.gif Navigation
    level4.gif Warp Drive Operation
    Total Skillpoints in Group: 137,031

Science
    level0.gif Astrometric Rangefinding
    level0.gif Astrometrics
    level0.gif Biology
    level1.gif Cybernetics
    level2.gif Infomorph Psychology
    level0.gif Research
    level4.gif Science
    Total Skillpoints in Group: 47,426

Social
    level0.gif Social
    Total Skillpoints in Group: 145

Spaceship Command
    level2.gif Battlecruisers
    level0.gif Destroyers
    level5.gif Gallente Battleship
    level4.gif Gallente Cruiser
    level4.gif Gallente Frigate
    level1.gif Gallente Industrial
    level5.gif Spaceship Command
    Total Skillpoints in Group: 2,638,809

Trade
    level1.gif Trade
    Total Skillpoints in Group: 250

Total Skillpoints: 8,859,830
    Total Number of Skills: 92

Skills at Level 1: 15
    Skills at Level 2: 8
    Skills at Level 3: 8
    Skills at Level 4: 23
    Skills at Level 5: 10

KiTA on
  • Options
    edited April 2009

Existing character is Gallente, I believe.

Edit: Yeah. IIRC the last thing I did in game was get myself a Dominix.

Yeah, I assumed Gallente being that you were speccing drones. Caldari ships grant hybrid turret bonuses, so there's some skill overlap; all you'd have to train are the Caldari ship skills and missles. Of your almost nine million skill points, half are dedicated to Gallente stuff, meaning you have 4.5 million generic skill points that apply to any ship you fly.

delroland on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Hm. There are pirate ship designs that are hybird between 2 racial ship designs, right? What's the Caldari / Gallente design like?

Edit: This Certificate thing is a brilliant idea. :)

KiTA on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Worm (Frigate), Gila (Cruiser), Rattlesnake (Battleship). They are Guristas Faction ships. They are all generally useless, and you won't be flying them unless you love being primary constantly, and are made of isk.

Worm is like a slightly better merlin, Gila is a terrible cruiser with split bonuses, the rattlesnake could be considered "just okay," but there are other ships that do anything it tries to do better, for a fraction of the price. DBRB lost a couple when his nyx got fucked. :V

blackdegree on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    SonelanSonelan Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    So merchi moved from e-pros right? I'm assuming its no longer friendly and all that?

Sonelan on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Sonelan wrote: »
    So merchi moved from e-pros right? I'm assuming its no longer friendly and all that?

Definitely not. I accidentally undocked and couldn't redock. Then some AaA guys ganked me. A great welcome back to EVE. :)

KiTA on
  • Options
    SonelanSonelan Registered User regular
    edited April 2009

Definitely not. I accidentally undocked and couldn't redock. Then some AaA guys ganked me. A great welcome back to EVE. :)

Hmm. That poses a problem for me since almost all my ships and gear were in the e-pros and neighboring stations.

Sonelan on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited April 2009

Hmm. That poses a problem for me since almost all my ships and gear were in the e-pros and neighboring stations.

Yup. Me too! Current plan is to fly this shiny new Velator to Jita, park it, create a newbie, and go through the tutorial again. Not quite sure what all to do in game, probably going to get my bearings and reapply to MerchI in a few days. :)

KiTA on