Play nice. If someone is trolling, don't respond to them. Report the post.
Gentlemen, welcome to EVE Online.
EVE Online is an MMO set in the space region called New Eden, irrevocably separated from Earth after an incident involving the Eve Gate, the one connection between New Eden and Earth.
The game world spans hundreds of solar systems, divided into several regions of varying security level from 1.0 to 0.0 -- the former being highly patrolled by NPC police, the latter being lawless territory for the largest player corporations to war over. It would take several hours at best to travel from one side of the galaxy to another.
Not only is the game world vast in a spatial sense, but in a player sense. Eve Online is entirely unsharded -- every single player shares the same game world, with between 15,000 - 55,000 players online at any given time.
The mechanics of Eve, allowing player corporations to claim sovereignty over resource rich 0.0 space, has led to the emergence of player-created geopolitics that, for many, are far more interesting than the game content itself.
Space is divided into three general security levels on a scale from 1.0 to 0.0. 1.0 to 0.5 is considered high security Empire space, where players who commit aggressive acts against other players will swiftly and inevitably have their ships destroyed by the NPC police organization CONCORD. High security space is not a TOTAL guarantor of safety, but it's close.
0.4 to 0.1 is considered low security Empire space, where aggressive acts can take place without CONCORD retribution, but your personal security status will dive and automated turrets around stations and gates will open fire for a time.
0.0 is lawless space; there is absolutely no retribution for aggression, and most players consider it to be where the real meaty stuff takes place. It also has the best resources in terms of NPC bounties and asteroids to mine in the game. It's completely player-run. Players hold sovereignty over space, and players make the wars.
Here is the current map representing alliance influence, updated daily here
, if you really
need to actually read who those nebulous blobs of color represent.
Also, a good resource for sovereignty and territory information is DOTLAN
so check that out too.
This is a quick look at current influence holdings as of april 7th:
I will attempt to keep this section as barren as possible, in the interest of generating speculation and controversy. If someone does a decent rundown of known spaceholders and their current situations it may be placed here.
Major Events / News of the past months
- BoB disbanded as an alliance in EvE, gets turned into a Goonswarm Corporation
- Goonswarm takes Delve with the help of their Brosefs
- Kenzoku Alliance (previously BoB) join with -A- and many other friends and try to take back delve. Currently have gained ownership of a station system in querious; 49-. Battle still rages for control.
- Some stuff with Pandemic Legion trading dread fleets in a big brawl over northwards, some 90+ caps destroyed
- Kenzoku dread fleet destroyed in a hot drop. Speculation about if the dreads were replaced or not still rages.
- xXdeathXx and solar doin some same ol same ol over by drone regions I think they are p. happy with their stuff
- IRC/ED tried to open a second front on RA to help out A.S.S.C.A.K.E.S. to ease pressure but they got all their alliance assets stolen and the entire NC reset them instead.
- Some russian guy sold $100 000 worth of timecards to help his alliance and buy stuff for them
If I missed anything gimme a shout.
This thread not strictly war / politics, but should be considered more of an Eve General Bullshit thread -- possible mechanics / patch changes, inane tidbits about what you did in Eve today, discussion of how awesome exotic dancers are, they're all fine here.
Newbies or non-players who like chatting about the game's politics or general news should feel free to hop in, but please keep newbie questions related to joining Merch Industrial or newbie questions related to basic Eve information like skills/fittings questions to the threads linked at the top (which I hope vets will post in, to help the newbies out both in-game and here).
It's also not an GS vs. ?????? thread. Merch Industrial is part of Goonswarm, so naturally the information and discussion will tend that way, but honestly I'm always curious what the fuck is going on up north, in the drone regions, or in Providence and Catch because I never hear about them anymore. So if you're from there, fill us in, and I'll try to keep the OP updated.