Options

[D&D 4E] Shackled City (Game Thread)

• Options
    Mike DangerMike Danger "Diane..." a place both wonderful and strangeRegistered User regular
    edited April 2009
    "Fine by me," Quinn says, still standing awkwardly upright. He relaxes a little when he picks up the paper off the table.

"I hate riddles," he mutters under his breath.

Mike Danger on
    Steam: Mike Danger | PSN/NNID: remadeking | 3DS: 2079-9204-4075
    oE0mva1.jpg
  • Options
    GrimmyTOAGrimmyTOA Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Alead stands at the back of the crowd as the riddle is read out.

"I wonder..." His brow furrows as he thinks.

"No, nothing. Unless the message speaks of Ghelve's Locks," Alead smiles wryly, "which seems unlikely. We should check the orphanage, I think."
    History Check: Are there any other 'locks' in Cauldron? Water locks (as in a canal) for example? 1d20+11 = 31 Critical History! Whee!
    Insight Check: To tease any extra clues out of the riddle that I, the player, cannot guess at. MY COMPUTER CRASHED JUST AS I WAS ROLLING THIS DIE. IF THERE ARE MULTIPLE RESULTS, PLEASE USE THE LOWEST. 1d20+9 = 14
    Adding Memory of a Thousand Lifetimes to Insight Check. 1d6 = 2 Total: 16

GrimmyTOA on
  • Options
    simonwolfsimonwolf i can feel a difference today, a differenceRegistered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Alead:
    History wise, there aren't any locks in Cauldron that bear mention, in terms of canals. You do recall, however, that the one of the founding shops in Cauldron that runs to this day is Ghelve's Locks, a locksmithy in the south district.

You don't think there's any other clues to this that anyone could guess without experience and hindsight

simonwolf on
  • Options
    AlectharAlecthar Alan Shore We're not territorial about that sort of thing, are we?Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    "Ghelve's Locks, you say? What do you think, Alead, would it be faster to visit the city's oldest locksmith?"

Kellus thinks for a moment, then moves slightly, as if from a small shock.

"Of course! Unless our culprits are wielding truly impressive teleportation magics, the only way I know of to enter a building without leaving a sign is to have the key already. Milady, are you aware of who made the locks in the orphanage?"

Alecthar on
  • Options
    simonwolfsimonwolf i can feel a difference today, a differenceRegistered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Jenya shrugs her shoulders. "I'm a priest, child, not a building designer," she says with a motherly smile, "You would have to ask Gretchyn, the headmistress of the orphanage, where she got her locks from."

simonwolf on
  • Options
    AlectharAlecthar Alan Shore We're not territorial about that sort of thing, are we?Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    "Then a trip to the orphanage seems to be in order."

Alecthar on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    "Agreed."

Alead strides to the table and retrieves the potions, peering into the flasks with his mind's eye. Healing potions.

"Perhaps the front-line fighters would benefit most from these?"
    Arcana check on the potions: 1d20 + 9 = 10. Are we rolling dice or flipping coins? It's either a natural twenty or a one around here.

GrimmyTOA on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Oh, poop, I knew I forgot something.

Those of you with passive arcana instantly identify these as Potions of Healing.

simonwolf on
  • Options
    StygianSmileyFaceStygianSmileyFace Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Kreel, still chuckling from being called the merciful, simply stands in the back as the discussion unfolds. Stretching his shoulders from the weight of the Greataxe that now sits there, the Avenger cocks his head to the side as he ponders the riddle.

"Beyong the curtain. Sounds of magic." He shrugs. "At least things are looking up. I grow tired of standing in the open, I welcome a trip under this place." Another pause. "How small would half a dwarf be? I'd hate to step on the binder or whatever."

StygianSmileyFace on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    "In any case, gentlemen," Alek says in a gentle-but-firm manner, "I must be returning to my guard duties at the orphanage now. I don't think it would be wise for you all to come with me at this hour, though. Perhaps we can meet there at, say, ten o'clock in the morning? I'll inform the headmistress that you'll be visiting. Until then!"

With that, he strides out of the room. In the distance you hear him cry, "Onward, Avenger," and a horse neigh, followed by galloping. Jenya walks around her desk and towards the door, beckoning you to follow.

"We've had five beds made up for you," she says kindly, "And we've run a bath for each of you." She gives the Goliath a glance and continues, "We wouldn't want any evil blood to seep into you, now do we? In any case, your rooms are up these stairs. The acolytes will wake you in the morning."

She begins to walk down the hall and away from you, then pauses and turns. "Thank you again," she says, "Goodnight."

With that, she turns and walks into another room, the door closing softly behind her.

Apparently, it's time for bed.
    Extended rest time, Sisters. Give me a !ready when you're wanting to wake up and go to the orphanage.

simonwolf on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Alead's eyes blaze like stars as he grits his teeth.

"Would not be wise to go at this hour," he snarls. "We wait here then? The people of this city are blind to the decay around him. The Merchants, the Priests, the so-called Guardians. This city will come apart at the seams while they busy themselves with their conveniences and their distractions -- their hemming and hawing. Their palaces and their tables of profits. Some of them are whoring and gambling, some are building monuments, others jotting down notes, and around them the innocent vanish. Even we, the only ones who purport to act, sleep instead. Fine -- it will be as it will be. If more children disappear this night, however, it will be upon our heads."

The fire in Alead's eyes dims a bit, and he turns to face the wall. He seems equally enraged and embarrassed by his outburst.

GrimmyTOA on
  • Options
    Mike DangerMike Danger "Diane..." a place both wonderful and strangeRegistered User regular
    edited April 2009
    "Funny name for a horse," Quinn remarks. He walks off to one of the rooms, and pulls the door shut behind him. From within, there is the tinkling of chainmail being shrugged off, and then a splash followed by a deep sigh.
    I am !ready whenever

Mike Danger on
    oE0mva1.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Kreel gives himself a quick sniff and turns to the others.

"All this time building monuments and taking notes from their God, but she still has time to note my odor."

Another sniff.

"Well. Perhaps she has a point."

StygianSmileyFace on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Kellus whirls towards the deva, the crackling of the air around him becoming more pronounced.

"What would you have us do, Alead? Charge off into the night? Perhaps it has escaped your notice, but this is their hour, their time of power. Only you and I avoided the blows of our enemies earlier tonight, and I doubt we'd be so lucky a second time. What good will we do these victims if we die by the hands of some Last Laugh hirelings in the middle of the night? No, better by far to rest, rejuvenate, and then begin in earnest in the morning, with clear heads and the light of day to aid our investigations."

Alecthar on
  • Options
    UtsanomikoUtsanomiko Bros before Does Rollin' in the thlayRegistered User regular
    edited April 2009
    "Midnight is as good enough hour for rest as any. The caretakers at the orphanage will need a good night's sleep as much as we do. Then we'll have the rest of the day to look for locks and curtains and the like." Blublo takes to his prepared room, leaves his equipment next to his bed and heads off to sleep on top of the covers in his well-worn clothes, hands folded behind his head.
    !ready. You guys ran through a lot of stuff in the damnable hours of the night. Some of us have work in the morning. :P

Utsanomiko on
    hmm.gif
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Kreel watches Alead and Kellus argue for a moment, head cocked to the side within the depths of his hood as he does so.

"Nobody can get no sleep with this bickering, and all you're doing is standing on each other's toes." The Avenger shrugs. "I'm going to follow Quinn's lead and doze."

The Goliath wanders off to his room, absently scratching at the Raven Queen tattoos on his arms and muttering to himself. "His horse is named Avenger?"
    !ready

StygianSmileyFace on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Alead turns and looks down at Kellus.

"Yes, I would have us charge off into the night. Children are missing. More may be in danger. They have been disappearing at night. This is exactly when we should be at the orphanage protecting them -- or do you believe that the stuffed sock who just rode off can keep them safe? I don't."

Alead shrugs his shoulders and continues in a more moderate tone.

"I have no desire to endanger myself or our companions, Kellus. I will not let more children be endangered, however. Pelor will not allow me to. If we must rest, we must rest. I do not like it, though."
    Unless Kellus wants to talk more, I'm fine with being !ready. We can assume that Alead went reluctantly to bed and stared at the ceiling for a long time before he got to sleep.

GrimmyTOA on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    "I see, Alead, Pelor selected you, but you cannot put your trust in another of his choosing? I didn't realize Deva made such excellent hypocrites."

Kellus turns to his room, opens the door and begins to step through, but adds one last comment before shutting the door.

"The point is moot anyhow, unless you prefer to act alone. After all, the only thing you stand to lose is time. Only those of us with a single life to live risk all in this endeavor."

Settling into his trance, Kellus waits for morning.
    !ready

Alecthar on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    That's everyone, then! Now for the next part of the story...

After the events of evening, sleep comes easily to you all - except Alead, who seems to have spent most of the night scowling and complaining to himself about how many orphans he could be saving right now.

Some would comment that it's a little odd that the person least at home in this temple of Pelor was the Pelor-devoted Invoker - others wouldn't comment on such a situation because they're liable to get some radiant damage where the sun doesn't shine.

After being awoken from your sleep by several nubile young acolytes (who, after noticing certain looks and comments, assure you that they have all sworn vows of chastity), you are given a hearty, modest breakfast and sent out the door with directions on how to get to the Lantern Street Orphanage.

Something strange has happened overnight, however - as you walk through some of the roads closer to the lake, people start pointing and applauding you. Obviously, they've heard of your gallant deeds the previous night in uncovering the traitorous guard - however, when they start beginning to cheer you on with the words, "You did great, Sisters of Mercy," you suspect someone else might have been spreading the word on your behalf.

The orphanage rests on the corner of Lantern Street and Lava Avenue, its charcoal-coloured stones held together with mold-encrusted mortar. The windows on both stories and tightly shuttered, but a few slivers of light manage to escape from within. Lanterns hang on either side of the oaken front door, mounted to which is a green copper knocker shaped like a smiling gargoyle's visage, its nostrils pierced by a copper ring.

You've managed to arrive at the orphanage at around ten o'clock, as expected, but Alek is nowhwere to be seen - nor is any horse tied to the hitching post. From within the building, you can hear the high, exuberent voices of children at play.

simonwolf on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    "I don't know whether to say 'I told you so' or congratulate you on being right, Alead. Our Paladin friend doesn't appear to have made it to the orphanage. Either he couldn't be trusted, or the night is alive with more than just the petty thugs we defeated yesterday."

Kellus walks into the orphanage, stopping to inspect the lock on the main door.
    Probably won't buy me anything but:
    Perception: 1d20 → [13] = (13)
    Uncertain if he sees the markings on the door correctly, Kellus motions for his fellows to inspect the door, perhaps they can make things out more clearly.

Alecthar on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Quinn frowns at the absence of his brother in the crusade. "You would think he'd be here by now." He leans against the building and removes a foul-looking cigar from somewhere underneath his battered helmet, but then stops at the sound of the children and scowls, stowing it away.

"Those acolytes, though..." he grins a nasty old-man grin. "Not bad."

Mike Danger on
    oE0mva1.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Kreel looks around warily and looses his Greataxe.

"Perhaps his horse threw a shoe?"

However, the image of the various nubile young acolytes still clouds his thoughts and he finds difficulty in focussing on the task.

StygianSmileyFace on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Alead follows the others down the street, oblivious to the cheering crowds and the bright sun. On the outside, he may have appeared as impassive as usual, but inside the Deva was in turmoil. The conversation -- confrontation -- with Kellus still rankled, even more so because Alead knew that the sorcerer was right. His past lives hissed in his mind, but Pelor was silent.

Why don't we trust the Paladin? Why were we so willing to endanger our allies? Is this hubris born of confidence, or something... darker? Could I be in danger of Falling?

Alead grimaced. Too much to think about, now. The Missing must be his first -- his only -- concern. The state of his soul would have to wait for a while.

He nods at Kellus' barb. It was well-deserved. The noise of the children inside seemed proof that nothing more had gone amiss. The Paladin's absence was troubling, though. Alead's voices subsided as he looked around.

GrimmyTOA on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Kellus and Kreel:
    Neither of you notice anything particularly note-worthy, aside from what appears to be one of the young acolytes from before arm-in-arm with a young man. Swindled!

Kreel:
    You don't get any dark vibes from the orphanage - the sound of the children inside doesn't make it seem like it's an abbatoir in there.

simonwolf on
  • Options
    UtsanomikoUtsanomiko Bros before Does Rollin' in the thlayRegistered User regular
    edited April 2009
    History check on Cauldron's orphanage reputation; where its orphans most often come from, how they're viewed and treated, the apparent nature of the building and how it's run, et cetera:

1d20+7 → [7,7] = (14). My kingdom for an 11 to 16. Thirteen would have been swell. Maybe from now on I think I'll just ask "what do I passively know about..."

For instance, I have a passive 13 Streetwise. Anything basic I might know about typical kidnappers trafficking people around a town like this? Doubtful that this is a mundane instance of kidnapping, of course.

"Ought to check in with the headmasters, perhaps he had to take leave," Blublo shrugs and puts his hands on his hips. The gnome marches up to the door and gives the gargoyle a good couple of rapid knocks.

"It is Blublo, knight of Phillippei!" he hollers. "Sent by Sir Tercival of Pelor! I come with allies, aid, and questions!"

Utsanomiko on
    hmm.gif
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Blublo:
    You can't recall any specific information about the orphanage situation in Cauldron.

A few moments after the gnome knocks on the door, you hear a shuffling coming from the other side. The door opens a crack, barely large enough to stick a foot through. Through the small gap, however, you see an elderly halfling woman staring out at you.

She glances over your group quickly, but her eyes don't flash with any kind of recognition - rather, they seem to flicker with suspicion. "Who sent you?" she asks curtly.

simonwolf on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Blublo had been quiet most of the morning until now; today would be a full day for making things happen.

"Alek Tercival, of the Pelorite temple here in Cauldron. He said he would be here at this time, such that we may aid in investigating the disappearance of the children from this place."

Utsanomiko on
    hmm.gif
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    "You might know the name of the paladin, gnome, and you can say you're investigating the missin' children," the woman says gruffly, "But I don't know you, and nobody I know is vouchin' for you. So unless you've got some way of provin' your good intentions, I'm not going to let you in here."

She closes the door a touch - all you can see through the gap now is her eye. Waiting and watching.

simonwolf on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    "Surely he must have returned here last night and informed of our arrival?" Blublo removed his blue felt cap and scratched his scruffy head with a huff.

"I am sorry, I am without proof beyond Tercival's words and my own. But we must continue our search. If nothing else, can you at least tell us where you acquired this buildings' locks? We have reasons to believe a lock-maker of some sort is suspect."
    Diplomacy: 1d20+8 → [4,8] = (12) . Why do I even bother?

Utsanomiko on
    hmm.gif
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    The halfling woman squints her eye somewhat. "What, tell you who made my locks so you can find an easier way to break in, eh? Not bloody likely. Although..."

She pauses to think for a moment, then continues, "Alek did say some people would be comin' this mornin'... do you have anything with the temple's seal on it? He said you had been given a potion or somethin' of the sort. You best have it on you now, though, else I'll be locking this door and callin' the guard on you."

simonwolf on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    I'll take the opportunity to presume Blublo took one potion, unless somebody else said they hoarded them all.

"Oh, yes, I suppose that would make sense," Blublo roots around among his bandolier pouches and procures a small potion from the temple, holding it up with the front of the bottle facing the door.

Utsanomiko on
    hmm.gif
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    "Oh, well," says the woman, opening the door wide, "That changes everythin'!"

She stands to the side and beckons for you all to enter the entrance chamber. "You'll have to forgive me for bein' so gruff before," she says, "But we can't afford to be anything less that completely careful these days, eh? The name's Gretchyn Tashykk, I'm the headmistress here at the orphanage."

Outside in the distance, you hear the galloping of hooves. From around the corner comes a paladin clad in shiny scale armour, riding a jet black horse. The horse begins to slow down as it approaches the orphanage, and with a cry of, "Ease, Avenger," it slows down to a stop. The paladin lifts his helm to reveal none other than Alek.

"Sorry about being late, gentlemen," he says, "But I got caught up with my own, uh, investigations."

You notice him wiping a suspicious crumb from his short beard.

"Don't worry none, lad," says Gretchyn, "They showed me the potion, like you said they'd have. Now, I suppose you lot want to ask me some questions? I've already told everything I thought relevant to the town guard and those odd half-elf investigators, but if you want to know somethin', I'm more than happy to answer."

simonwolf on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    "Now that you trust our intent, I hope you can see the relevance in my question about the locks. If the scoundrels passed through an entrance without trouble, there must be something about its locks that is wrong, by make or by magic."

Blublo scratches his goatee in unconcious mimickry of the Pelorite paladin's action. Blublo may not notice everything, but he knows when somebody's being suspiciously irresolute.
    Insight for Tercival's inexplicably late arrival: 1d20-1 → [12,-1] = (11) Or not, worth a shot. :P

Utsanomiko on
    hmm.gif
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    "Oh, I can see the relevance! But it's impossible anyone could have broken into these locks unless they were an incredibly skilled thief or magician - they're the finest kind you can purchase from Keygan Ghelve, down at his locksmithy. I bought them from him many years ago, and he charged a pretty coin for them, let me tell you!"

simonwolf on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    "And I fear we may be dealing with such a magical thief. Or thieving magician..." Blublo adds. His bushy eyebrows perk up at the mention of a potentially-followable lead. "Is he still an active smith? Do you suppose many other people use his locks?"
    What does Blublo know about locksmiths here?
    1d20+8 → [20,8] = (28) I told you it pays off eventually.

Utsanomiko on
    hmm.gif
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Kreel keeps a careful eye on the Paladin and frowns at the horse.

"Avenger, indeed." He mutters as he returns his attention to the old woman. After listening to the speech for a few moments he grows bored and goes to see if he can inspect any of the locks while the woman is talking.

StygianSmileyFace on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Blublo:
    Like Alead, you remember that Ghelve's Locks is one of the few stores to have been open and running since Cauldron was founded well over two centuries ago.

Kreel:
    Looking closely at the locks, you notice that above the keyhole there's a tiny inscription - an eight-cogged gear with two dwarven runes written inside the gear. Being fluent in Dwarven, you recognise the runes as the Dwarven equivalents of the Common K and G.

"Oh, he's still active, alright - probably will be for another hundred years, what with bein' a dwarf and all. Besides, he's got a large customer base to work with - everybody knows he makes the finest locks in the city, bar none. Hell, I'd be surprised if any other locksmiths were even in business in Cauldron anymore."

She shakes her head slighty. "But Keygan's a great fellow, an upstandin' citizen. I doubt he'd be involved in any of this kidnappin' business."

"He may have been robbed recently," suggests Alek from atop Avenger, "I just finished speaking with the head of the town guard - apparently they've got a backlog of reported crimes to investigate. Since the kidnappings started, there hasn't been much time or manpower to focus on anything but them."

simonwolf on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Kreel turns back and looks at Alek

"The town guard may find their ability to finish their backlog increased if they got more rest at night, no?"

StygianSmileyFace on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    "We should certainly have a look around the orphanage and see these locks in person," Blublo says to his compatriots. "Whether any of their entrances can be merely bypassed. Then we can make haste for this locksmith and compare the nature of his locks for sale."

Utsanomiko on
    hmm.gif
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Alek glares at Kreel with disdain. "Not all the guard are evil, Goliath, nor are they all as weak as the few you've encountered so far. Perhaps when the city's fear of the kidnappings fades away, there can be rest for the guard at night. Until then, they'll continue their duty to try and protect this city."

simonwolf on