As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Tips for Finding a Kitty

witch_iewitch_ie Registered User regular
edited April 2009 in Help / Advice Forum
So it looks like my boyfriend is finally open to getting a cat (yes, we live together). The thing is he wants a "non-destructive" cat - one that won't rip up furniture or shred his tower speakers that really do look a bit like scratching posts. He also doesn't want a climber (for some reason he thinks kitty might want to climb the curtains). For myself, I just want a short hair (allergies) kitty that purrs a lot, likes people, and likes to be petted. It would be fun to play every now and then too. Our neighborhood has a lot of cats as well as skunks and raccoons, so if we get an indoor/outdoor cat, it has to be able to defend itself. Also, I will not declaw any cat, although I'm not averse to getting a kitty that has already been declawed.

Right now, I'm looking at going to the local humane societies to find our kitty, but since I've never picked out a cat before (previous ones have just kind of shown up and started living with my family), I'm not sure how to figure out which kitty we should bring home with us. So, how do I find the kitty that's right for us?

witch_ie on

• Options
    KilroyKilroy timaeusTestified Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Talk to the people at the shelter about it. All of those things you mentioned are personality traits that are going to vary from cat to cat. The folks at the shelter should be able to tell you what each cat is like.

Specifically in regards to climbing/scratching, get an older cat that's been used to living indoors. Or just train your cat not to scratch speakers and climb curtains. It's not that hard.

Kilroy on
  • Options
    QuothQuoth the Raven Miami, FL FOR REALRegistered User regular
    edited April 2009
    It might be best for you to look for people who foster cats in their homes, because they will be more likely to know the temperaments of the individual cats, and the cats themselves are more likely to be socialized.

Edit: Also, I always recommend getting two cats instead of just one, because they keep each other company and are less likely to be destructive.

Quoth on
  • Options
    zilozilo Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    There are surely cat rescue groups in your area that can help you out. If you've got a Petco or Petsmart near you, odds are there's a rescue group that holds cat adoption days in the store on weekends. There are a few things to keep in mind when shopping for a cat-

Get two if you can. If you can't get two, get one older cat (1+ years). Kittens are tiny engines of destruction when left on their own. They're less destructive in pairs but they'll still make messes and wreck up the place from time to time, so be prepared. Generally you want 2 kittens from the same litter. 2 males or a male and a female work well, two females can be bad news. Make sure they're spayed/neutered.

Cats will climb curtains. They just will. You can train them not to but it will be a long, arduous process and they'll surely climb them a bunch of times when you're not around before you get them trained. Consider ditching the curtains, or at least getting cheap crappy ones that they can claw to pieces while you train them to stay away.

Outdoor cats have an average life expectancy of 6 years. Indoor cats have an average life expectancy of 16-18 years. Letting your cat outside exposes it to things like FIV (cat AIDS) and other diseases transmitted through cat-to-cat contact, ticks, fleas, predators (incl. human), capture patrols for experimentation, cars, various toxins, weather, and so on.

You want a cat that's been tested for FIV and feline calcivirus at a minimum. Neither of these things are a death sentence for cats, nor are they transmissible to humans, but FIV+ cats require special care and calcivirus-positive cats can develop expensive health problems down the line. Most rescue groups have a panel of common diseases they test for so make sure you get a copy.

Most kittens that I've handled have made their friendly disposition apparent within the first few minutes, assuming the environment isn't too traumatic (very noisy, lots of foot traffic, etc). Don't be afraid to shop around until you find one (or two) that you like. Also, black cats (and tuxedo-colored cats) are the hardest to place in homes. Oftentimes people will overlook otherwise fantastic pets due to superstition, so their loss can be your gain if you don't care about color.

As is customary in cat threads, I'll post pics when I get home. :)

edit: oh, here's a piece of advice that has helped us out a lot with our cats. You want three things in every room you spend any time in- a scratching post, a bowl of water, and a squirt bottle. And don't hide the scratching post in a corner or behind furniture or the cats won't use it.

zilo on
  • Options
    ManonvonSuperockManonvonSuperock Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    I picked my cat by choosing the most aggressive kitten at the adoption place, and goin on five years later, he's still real fighty, which is awesome. Clearly, that's not what you want, but when you play with them, you can get a feel for what they're like.

ManonvonSuperock on
  • Options
    VisionOfClarityVisionOfClarity Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    I went to the Boston pound, saw a BIG kitten, went oooh she's pretty, held her for awhile and she was down with me then took her home the next day. Then found out she's a Maine Coon and not just a domestic medium hair. Almost a year late she's huge but I love her. Also worked out because I wanted a cat that enjoys playing but is independent and Maine Coons are known for that kind of behavior.

Also, do not let the cat outdoors. That's just irresponsible pet ownership.

Also, make sure it's fixed asap if it doesn't come from the shelter that way.

VisionOfClarity on
  • Options
    dispatch.odispatch.o Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    I went to the Boston pound, saw a BIG kitten, went oooh she's pretty, held her for awhile and she was down with me then took her home the next day. Then found out she's a Maine Coon and not just a domestic medium hair. Almost a year late she's huge but I love her. Also worked out because I wanted a cat that enjoys playing but is independent and Maine Coons are known for that kind of behavior.

The not letting it outside thing is kind of misleading. I know plenty of people with tons of space out in the country who have outdoor cats who go out for a couple of hours during the day and never even cross the road or leave the front yard. Most have lived for 12+ years at this point.

So I will agree, do not let it outside unless you have an acre or two and are away from other roads and dogs/raccoons are not a problem.

Also, like was said above. Cats are lazy fucks. If they can scratch on the couch next to them, or go in the other room for the scratching post, nothing is going to stop them. I keep our posts near the main walkways in the living room and bedroom. Instead of walking in and leaning back to scratch the couch or bed, the post is much more convenient.

Also, don't declaw your cat. If you have to declaw it, you don't need to be getting a cat.

edit: Do invest in some decent small animal nail clippers, though. Don't just use toenail clippers as you can crack their claw and they will hate you for a month. You only have to cut the very very tips off, there should be no blood or discomfort at all. We do this about once a week.

Also, I suggest going to a shelter and picking out a cat that's 1 year old or so, kittens never have a problem being adopted and older cats who were stray or otherwise abused REALLY appreciate a good home. So much so they can act as guard dogs. Ours will literally bark and grumble if she thinks something is threatening her home. She was a stray for 2 years, and had kittens on our doorstep. Two litters back to back. No one was feeding her so we took all the cats in for 6-8 weeks, got them all fixed, then kept the runt and a cat from the first litter plus the mama. (who is still named mama by the way). She is the most affectionate creature known to man, but she's independent as hell. My only complaint is she loves laying next to me in bed and purring in my ear, but she sounds like a lawnmower.

(edit: Yes we had 11 cats living in our apartment for almost two months.)

dispatch.o on
  • Options
    EntriechEntriech ? ? ? ? ? Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Get the cat some sort of tree or scratcher. Once our new cat understood that that was the right place to scratch, any other incidences of scratching became minimized. Make sure you keep the litterbox(es) clean. Improper litterbox maintenance is one of the main reasons for inappropriate elimination. Cats like schedules and routine, so making an effort to maintain one will help settle the kitty.

Best thing you can do for picking out a cat is to spend time with it. Go in to the shelter of your choice, ask to see the cats, and ensure you can spend a good amount of time with the cat out of its cage. This won't be a perfect personality test, but you can definitely pick up on some stuff. If you're unsure, come back at later dates to revisit the same cat.

Please, please, please adopt from a shelter. There's a ton of cats out there that need good homes.

I would definitely keep your cat indoors, but supervised outdoor visits are okay too. I take my cat out every other day or so on a harness and leash. You get some funny looks from passersby, and it's nothing like walking a dog, but he seems to enjoy it. Lots of interesting smells, etc.

Don't be afraid of adopting a slightly older cat. People obsess over the young kittens because they're so cute, but an older cat has a better chance of their personality being set, so you don't adopt an adorable furball only to have it turn into hellcat a year later.

Also you can totally adopt just one cat, you just need to make sure they have the means of entertaining themselves when they want to, and that they get a lot of love and attention when you are around.

Good luck!

Edit:

Oh, yes. Feed your cat an appropriate diet! Cats are obligate carnivores. Contrary to what many companies would like you to think, cats do not need vegetables and grains and fruit. This site has a lot of good information, although the author comes off as quite millitant on occasion. This site contains nutritional information for various wet and dry cat foods in terms of how much carbs, fat and protein content they have. Surprisingly this is really hard to determine from the labels normally. An ideal food would be low in carbs, and higher on protein. Wet food is better than dry, cats have a very weak thirst drive as they're accustomed to consuming most of their water intake via small, dead animals. While a feline eating dry food will drink more water, one eating wet food will on average consume more moisture. Given the high incidence of bladder, kidney and urinary tract issues cats can face, this is a good thing.

And along with that, make sure they always have fresh water available. We change ours every time we feed the cat.

Don't overfeed your cat. It makes them fat. Yes, your cat may get a bit hungry sometimes before a meal, and be a whiny bitch. It's no different than when one of us has a grumbling stomach. He/she won't perish from being hungry for a half hour or so. Some cats just don't know when to stop eating, or don't move around enough to burn off what they'd eat if allowed to eat all they want. This makes free-feeding less desirable in my opinion, and if the food is of poor quality it can compound the issue. Imagine if a child was fed via an endlessly replenishing supply of twinkies.

Entriech on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    We actually bought one of those fountains that cycles the water through a filter and constantly gives them a stream to drink out of. Though one of them likes cleaning his feet in it once a week :(. It works really well. Also get used to putting down the toilet seat covers.

dispatch.o on
  • Options
    HevachHevach Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    I agree - go to fostered cats. The foster owners are likely to have a good idea of the cat's personality, where a shelter cat you can't be sure, being in cages like that effects how they act.

Also, I suggest not getting a kitten. It's very rewarding watching them grow up, but they change a lot along the way, and you can never really be sure how their personality will develop until it already has. Also, I feel adult cats tend to "need" adoption more - kittens will always find a home somewhere, but adult cats tend to get overlooked when families see the cute little fuzz balls.

Hevach on
  • Options
    CrashtardCrashtard Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    dispatch.o wrote: »
    We actually bought one of those fountains that cycles the water through a filter and constantly gives them a stream to drink out of. Though one of them likes cleaning his feet in it once a week :(.

So my cat isn't the only one that does this eh? I though my cat was just a weirdo (which I suppose is still possible). She loves to use the water in her bowl for cleaning herself and not so much for drinking.

I'll also echo adopting a cat from a shelter. Usually the cats there are really nice and just need someone to love them, and it saves it from being put to sleep.

Crashtard on
    I pinky swear that we will not screw you.

Crashtard.jpg
  • Options
    CelestialBadgerCelestialBadger Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Is it an American thing, the belief that cats should not go outdoors because it is unsafe? I am from the UK, and every cat-lover I know would almost report you to the RSPCA for cruelty for suggesting such a thing (except if you live next to a busy road, of course)

My experience is that cats mostly get diseases from the shelter/cattery, not from wandering around the neighbourhood. Fights between cats result in superficial wounds in general - they are not fighting to kill (if the wounds get infected, the vet can give antibiotics) The only real, serious danger to cats is roads. Maybe wild animals are a danger in the USA, I don't know.

Also, all cats are destructive to some extent. Some more than others, but clawing the furniture is a given. A lot of American pet owners declaw their cat to solve this problem. (Again, British cat owners would have a heart attack considering such a thing)

CelestialBadger on
  • Options
    RikushixRikushix VancouverRegistered User regular
    edited April 2009

Good god, I want a Maine Coon so badly.

Rikushix on
    StKbT.jpg
  • Options
    TomantaTomanta Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Also, all cats are destructive to some extent. Some more than others, but clawing the furniture is a given. A lot of American pet owners declaw their cat to solve this problem. (Again, British cat owners would have a heart attack considering such a thing)

Not sure on the outside thing, and while it is true that many people declaw their cats the rest of us think those people should have the tips of THEIR fingers cut off as part of the process.

And I don't even own a cat! (although I am considering it at some point in the future, so I like to read these threads :)).

Tomanta on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Is it an American thing, the belief that cats should not go outdoors because it is unsafe? I am from the UK, and every cat-lover I know would almost report you to the RSPCA for cruelty for suggesting such a thing (except if you live next to a busy road, of course)

My experience is that cats mostly get diseases from the shelter/cattery, not from wandering around the neighbourhood. Fights between cats result in superficial wounds in general - they are not fighting to kill (if the wounds get infected, the vet can give antibiotics) The only real, serious danger to cats is roads. Maybe wild animals are a danger in the USA, I don't know.

No, cats get FIV among other things from fights. They also get ticks, fleas and can die from poisons used to keep rodents under control.

Edit: Maybe in the UK there's a better rate for having feral cats fixed or put to sleep so you dont end out with a bunch of diseased strays? Quite honestly though, I don't care where you live. If you let your cat outside to roam the neighborhood, you are a douchebag. People don't want cats roaming around their back yards. Your cat, your problem. It's not a jungle, especially in an apartment complex where the last thing someone wants is a cat pissing on or digging up their plants.

dispatch.o on
  • Options
    RikushixRikushix VancouverRegistered User regular
    edited April 2009
    As far as clawing goes, buy a clawing post. Clawing posts work wonders, or at least have with all my family's cats.

As a backup, get a small spray bottle from a gardening store and fill it with water. If your cat starts testing its claws on the leather sofa just spray it right in the face. No lasting harm and it should more often than not curb them of that habit.

Parents had to resort to the spray bottle to stop our kitten from clawing the screen door a year or so ago.

Rikushix on
    StKbT.jpg
  • Options
    OrogogusOrogogus San DiegoRegistered User regular
    edited April 2009

It might be a US thing. My shelter made me sign a form promising to keep my cat indoors when I adopted her. And I mention this in a lot of cat threads, but a lot of outdoor pets in Southern California get eaten by coyotes. Anecdotally, about a third of my coworkers', friends, etc. outdoor cats have been eaten or disappeared, and a few dogs.

I wouldn't say that a lot of American pet owners declaw their cats. My shelter made me promise not to do that, either. I think it would be optimistic to say that a lot of them spay or neuter them, like you're supposed to.

I have a cat fountain, and it's extremely popular with my cat and my roommate's cat. We even have a neighbor cat that climbs up to our second story apartment to drink out of it. My roommate's cat doesn't wash herself with that water, she uses (human) drinking water from glasses that people leave sitting out for that.

Orogogus on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Orogogus wrote: »

It might be a US thing. My shelter made me sign a form promising to keep my cat indoors when I adopted her. And I mention this in a lot of cat threads, but a lot of outdoor pets in Southern California get eaten by coyotes. Anecdotally, about a third of my coworkers', friends, etc. outdoor cats have been eaten or disappeared, and a few dogs.

I wouldn't say that a lot of American pet owners declaw their cats. My shelter made me promise not to do that, either. I think it would be optimistic to say that a lot of them spay or neuter them, like you're supposed to.

I have a cat fountain, and it's extremely popular with my cat and my roommate's cat. We even have a neighbor cat that climbs up to our second story apartment to drink out of it. My roommate's cat doesn't wash herself with that water, she uses (human) drinking water from glasses that people leave sitting out for that.

Even raccoons which are just about everywhere will fuck up a dog or cat and possibly give it some pretty terrible diseases. Those things travel in packs and have vicious claws and teeth.

dispatch.o on
  • Options
    Mad_Scientist_WorkingMad_Scientist_Working Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Tomanta wrote: »

Not sure on the outside thing, and while it is true that many people declaw their cats the rest of us think those people should have the tips of THEIR fingers cut off as part of the process.

And I don't even own a cat! (although I am considering it at some point in the future, so I like to read these threads :)).
    Declawing cats is a bit weird. My mother and I have never been able to figure out what it is that our declawed cat (It was found that way) is not supposed to be able to do that it can still do. We've seen it climb trees. We've seen it kill animals.

Mad_Scientist_Working on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    It's kind of sad you can't let cats wander outside in the USA. I always enjoy meeting friendly cats in the neighbourhood, especially since I move house too much to get a cat of my own. I always thought it was one of the advantages of cats that they basically walk themselves, and bury their own waste in the garden. So much less work than dogs!

CelestialBadger on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Edit: Maybe in the UK there's a better rate for having feral cats fixed or put to sleep so you dont end out with a bunch of diseased strays? Quite honestly though, I don't care where you live. If you let your cat outside to roam the neighborhood, you are a douchebag. People don't want cats roaming around their back yards. Your cat, your problem. It's not a jungle, especially in an apartment complex where the last thing someone wants is a cat pissing on or digging up their plants.

There don't seem to be a lot of stray cats around, it is true. The only strays I've ever seen have been instantly adopted by the people whose gardens they wandered into.

Also, please do not call people who chose to let their cats wander douchebags, since you are calling every person I know who owns a cat a douchebag. People do things differently in different countries.

CelestialBadger on
  • Options
    OrogogusOrogogus San DiegoRegistered User regular
    edited April 2009
    You can let cats wander outside, and lots of people do. There are two or three that wander around the complex I live in, including the super-cat who makes himself at home in my place. No one's going to arrest or cite you if you let your cat out, and although I had to sign a form, the shelter doesn't actually have any authority to take my cat away if I don't keep my word.

Orogogus on
  • Options
    noobertnoobert Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Some breeds of cat, such as the burmese will get themselves killed VERY quickly if allowed outside. They will see a car coming and think "OOO BIG NOISEY THING GOTTA KILL!". While other breeds, like the Ocicat, will be bringing home several birds a week... even with a bell. Each time he will look up at you as if to say "i found it like this...".

My main advice would be to identify the breed and read up as much as you can about them.

noobert on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Yes its cruel to cruel to prevent an animal from going outside where it might actually deal with animals that won't give two shits about ripping anything that is antagonizing it. I see these animals all the time when I used to live on Long Island. I disturbingly enough still see them all the time now that I live right smack dab in the middle of Boston.
    /End Sarcasm

Mad_Scientist_Working on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    noobert wrote: »
    My main advice would be to identify the breed and read up as much as you can about them.

Huh, I've never met a cat who wasn't a pure British moggy. Probably due to all the wandering!

CelestialBadger on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Yes its cruel to cruel to prevent an animal from going outside where it might actually deal with animals that won't give two shits about ripping anything apart for getting to close to it. /End Sarcasm

There are not a lot of dangerous wild animals in the UK, which probably accounts for the different attitudes. The only real predators are badgers and foxes, and they don't generally go for cats.

CelestialBadger on
  • Options
    MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Yes its cruel to cruel to prevent an animal from going outside where it might actually deal with animals that won't give two shits about ripping anything apart for getting to close to it. I see these animals all the time when I used to live on Long Island. I disturbingly enough still see them all the time now that I live right smack dab in the middle of Boston.
    /End Sarcasm

From how I've heard it, those non-Americans view pets differently - it's more of a semi-wild animal adopting you than you adding one to your family.

MichaelLC on
  • Options
    DeathwingDeathwing Registered User regular
    edited April 2009

Maybe. Personally, when we got our cats, part of the contract the breeder had us sign included not letting them outside - there are many other dangers besides busy roads. They are quite happy and entertained inside, it's certainly not a form of cruelty like you seem to be implying.
    Maybe wild animals are a danger in the USA, I don't know.

In some areas, yes. In most places it's more that several nasty diseases can be caught by contact with other infected cats, rodents, insects, etc. Not to mention getting into stuff like rat poison, antifreeze, lawn chemicals, and so on.
    A lot of American pet owners declaw their cat to solve this problem. (Again, British cat owners would have a heart attack considering such a thing)

I'm curious what makes you think this - none of the people I know with cats have had them declawed. I don't think our vet would do it even if we asked (and we won't, ever), and we also had to agree not to declaw as part of the contract when we got our kittahs on top of all that.
    I always thought it was one of the advantages of cats that they basically walk themselves, and bury their own waste in the garden.

This would be one big reason why a lot of people don't like cats being left to roam...many of us fail to see the attraction of a cat burying waste around stuff we plan to eat later.
    Good god, I want a Maine Coon so badly.

They are wonderful cats :) Ours are Siberians, sort of a Russian version of the Maine Coon - our boy is a total lovebug most of the time, but good lord he's built like a fluffy tank:
    nikkidesk.jpg

Deathwing on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Yes its cruel to cruel to prevent an animal from going outside where it might actually deal with animals that won't give two shits about ripping anything apart for getting to close to it. /End Sarcasm

There are not a lot of dangerous wild animals in the UK, which probably accounts for the different attitudes. The only real predators are badgers and foxes, and they don't generally go for cats.
    Yeah yeah yeah. Im sure you actually know every single animal that lives in your backyard. I sure do.
    /End Sarcasm
    Also that animal that I was referring to in the previous post isn't technically a predator more than it is an animal that is extremely dangerous to humans, cats, dogs, and anything that is dumb/curious enough to draw it's ire. It was the weirdest animal I have ever seen in the middle of a city because it was the size of a medium dog and capable of amputating small limbs.

Mad_Scientist_Working on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Yeah yeah yeah. Im sure you actually know every single type of wildlife actually lives in your backyard.
    /End Sarcasm

Huh? There is a very limited amount of wildlife living in the UK. We have been systematically exterminating anything dangerous for hundreds of years :-D Badgers and foxes are pretty much it when considering carnivores that could take on a cat. We simply don't have raccoons, jackals, whatever. They don't exist here. Maybe this is derailing the thread a bit. However it is worth mentioning in case any British people reading this thread get the idea that they are being cruel by letting their cats out.

CelestialBadger on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Yeah yeah yeah. Im sure you actually know every single type of wildlife actually lives in your backyard.
    /End Sarcasm

Huh? There is a very limited amount of wildlife living in the UK. We have been systematically exterminating anything dangerous for hundreds of years :-D Badgers and foxes are pretty much it when considering carnivores that could take on a cat. We simply don't have raccoons, jackals, whatever. They don't exist here. Maybe this is derailing the thread a bit. However it is worth mentioning in case any British people reading this thread get the idea that they are being cruel by letting their cats out.

Except even if your cat isn't going to get killed, shitting in my lawn and digging up my plants or attacking my cats who live comfortably on my back enclosure will make me feel like snapping its neck and throwing it in a dumpster.

edit: I will leave this here but I am done, this will derail the thread quite a bit.

dispatch.o on
  • Options
    ThanatosThanatos Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Don't get your cat declawed, do get it fixed, and whether or not you can let it wander around is largely going to depend upon your neighborhood and the temperament of the cat.

All three of those subjects are to be considered closed, and I don't want to see any more posts regarding them.

Thanatos on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Except even if your cat isn't going to get killed, shitting in my lawn and digging up my plants or attacking my cats who live comfortably on my back enclosure will make me feel like snapping its neck and throwing it in a dumpster.

D: I really love cats and hearing people talk of hurting them upsets me, especially from someone who apparently owns cats.

People who want an animal that can be trained and controlled all the time should investigate the concept of "dogs". Cats are always somewhat wild, and I wouldn't have them any other way. It's a marvellous thing to go wandering off in the woods and find your cat playing happily there.

CelestialBadger on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    I refuse to believe you because that would mean you must live in the most god awfully boring country on the face of the earth.

True! LOL :P

CelestialBadger on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    I refuse to believe you because that would mean you must live in the most god awfully boring country on the face of the earth.

True! LOL :P
    I would like to apologize to the moderator. I made that post before I read that one.
    People who want an animal that can be trained and controlled all the time should investigate the concept of "dogs". Cats are always somewhat wild, and I wouldn't have them any other way. It's a marvellous thing to go wandering off in the woods and find your cat playing happily there.
    Cats can be extremely needy. I have one cat that knows how to manipulate the television remote to get my mother's attention. My grandpa has a cat that wails like it is dying every time someone visists because it wants to have its head rubbed. And why can't cats be trained? My one cat knows how to play fetch and is mastering the art of drinking out a straw.

Mad_Scientist_Working on
  • Options
    starmanbrandstarmanbrand Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    OP, are you sure a cat is the right thing for you and your relationship? If your boyfriend is only now coming around to cats and there are a bunch of hurdles that must be jumped...I don't know. It's hard to "control" a cat like that.

Maybe you could get a cat and it would be perfect and loveydovey and never ruin anything...But I mean, if even once that cat fucks something up, I doubt your boyfriend would be all "Well it's ok its such a cutiewootie." It would be hard to take in an animal and then have to kick it out after a few months, or worse a year or more, because it became incompatible with the requirements.

I had some cats when I was younger and I was heartbroken when we had to get rid of them because they wouldn't stop clawing on our sofas.

starmanbrand on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    DogDog Registered User, Administrator, Vanilla Staff admin
    edited April 2009
    I'd just like to say that my cat (a rescue) is a huge climber, but he has never climbed the curtains, tower speakers or clawed up my furniture.

Just talk to the people that work at the humane society, they'll probably know everything you want to know about them.

Unknown User on
  • Options
    HK5HK5 Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Just to echo starmanbrand - make sure your boyfriend has a realistic expectation of pet ownership before you get the cat. It sounds like he may not be fully prepared for everything that a new pet can bring into your life. There are going to be some downsides especially in the beginning and it might cause a strain on your relationship if your expectations of the experience are different.

Sit down and have a talk about what you both feel is a reasonable behavior to put up with in the short term and long term and what you think are reasonable solutions to the inevitable problems that might arise. How much are you willing to spend to keep your cat healthy, how will vet and food bills be divided, who will be responsible for training? Figuring it all out beforehand saves a lot of arguments down the road.

HK5 on
  • Options
    KidDynamiteKidDynamite Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    I definitely +1 the shelter Idea.

I have dos gatos, and one kind of came with the apartment (hate the previous owner for leaving her, but just cause it is mean.) And she is her own person for sure. She was living in the hall, and then one day kind of came in the apt. and I guess decided to stay. That is milly. She is declawed, but not by me.

We adopted Yojimbo our 2nd after deciding that we needed another.

he was 6 wks old, and had been dropeed off at the shelter when he was I think 2 weeks. Bottle-fed from a nice lady at the shleter, and is the sweetest most loving cat I've ever known.

I didn't see them mentioned here, but we used the softclaws things (little caps for their claws) they last about 2-3 weeks and then you glue new ones one. And that seemed to really help with the clawing behavior. After a couple of months we tried it without them and they don't scratch too much. (except baskets and anything that looks like their post, but hey I probably would too.)

Get one of those cool cardboard things for them to claw on. Ours love theirs (on our 5 or 6th one).

KidDynamite on
  • Options
    witch_iewitch_ie Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    I really appreciate all the responses. If anyone thinks of anything else that could be helpful, please continue to post.

As far as my boyfriend is concerned, even though I would like to go out this instant to get our kitty, I'm going to wait a couple of weeks just to make sure we're both ready. My family included a cat for 14 years when I was growing up (he adopted us), so I know what to expect on that front. I'm very excited and promise to post a pic when we finally do get our kitty.

witch_ie on
  • Options
    ArminasArminas Student of Life SF, CARegistered User regular
    edited April 2009
    You can have my cat, she loves attention and likes to be pet and doesn't destroy furniture or climb on anything higher than my arm chair after I taught her not to climb on top fo the kitchen cabinets. Take her, please?

I kid, she's just been a little crazy and demanding the last few days because I went on vacation for a week and had a cat sitter drop by my place everyday to take care of her. Anyways, I also recommend dropping by a shelter and getting to know a couple of the cats there and picking one that both you and your boyfriend enjoy.

But I would like to emphasize that a pet is also a responsibility! You're a little more restricted on travel and how much time you can spend away from home because your pet will require basic care as well as attention everyday if you can. I hope you can make a happy home for an animal and I give you props for wanting to adopt these days! With these tough times, adoptions in needy animal shelters are down.

Arminas on