As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Diplomatic Envoys Walkout of UN Anti-Racism Conference

oldmankenoldmanken Registered User regular
edited April 2009 in Debate and/or Discourse
During a speech today by Iranian President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad, Western representatives got up and walked out as the Iranian President called Israel "totally racist." Links to the BBC and CNN stories. Prior to the walkout, two protesters attempted to disrupt the speech before being ejected.

What strikes me most is the people applauding, as seen in the video at the BBC, and I wonder, were they applauding for what Ahmadinejad was saying or because the Western envoys were walking out? Also, how does the US begin to approach Iran diplomatically with this guy in power? Do they just wait until after the next Iranian election?

oldmanken on

• Options
    PowerpuppiesPowerpuppies drinking coffee in the mountain cabinRegistered User regular
    edited April 2009
    It's probably worth keeping in mind that leaders of countries sometimes say what will keep them in power, not what they believe. The guy might well be reasonable behind closed doors.

Powerpuppies on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    StarcrossStarcross Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Israel is totally racist. Remember, just before their election when they tried to ban all the arab parties?

Starcross on
  • Options
    kildykildy Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Diplomatically, you ignore him because he's not really that important, and just serves as a loudmouthed dick that is useful to distract people. Amnijesusheneedsashortername isn't the guy you'd be negotiating with really.

That said, this conference was being boycotted already by a few nations, and it's pretty much just a circus event between Iran and Israel.

kildy on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    It's probably worth keeping in mind that leaders of countries sometimes say what will keep them in power, not what they believe. The guy might well be reasonable behind closed doors.

Except the general consensus is that his positions have not actually played well in Iran, and he is likely to lose the next election.

oldmanken on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Starcross wrote: »
    Israel is totally racist. Remember, just before their election when they tried to ban all the arab parties?

Parts of it are, they banned a political party for being racist against the arabs previously, iirc.

That said, let's not take this thread in a horrible direction already.

kildy on
  • Options
    Xenogears of BoreXenogears of Bore Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    The government of Israel comes off as pretty darn racist.

Of course hearing this from someone as equally racist, sexist, and generally loony toony doesn't really help.

Xenogears of Bore on
    3DS CODE: 3093-7068-3576
  • Options
    NarianNarian Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    It happens every time an election come up and every time it gets cuts down by the Supreme Court (or the Israeli equivalent) for being unconstitutional.

Narian on
    Narian.gif
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    kildy wrote: »
    Diplomatically, you ignore him because he's not really that important, and just serves as a loudmouthed dick that is useful to distract people. Amnijesusheneedsashortername isn't the guy you'd be negotiating with really.

That said, this conference was being boycotted already by a few nations, and it's pretty much just a circus event between Iran and Israel.

Unfortunately, that's not really the case. The President of Iran is responsible for foreign relations, and while the Supreme Leader can intervene, that has become less common and likely since the President and Prime Minister offices were merged.

oldmanken on
  • Options
    LawndartLawndart Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    oldmanken wrote: »

Except the general consensus is that his positions have not actually played well in Iran, and he is likely to lose the next election.

From what I've read, Ahmadinejad rode into power on a populist message of improving the domestic economic situation in Iran, and has used his increasingly bellicose foreign policy stances as a way to distract the Iranian populace from his utter failure to do so.

Lawndart on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Lawndart wrote: »

From what I've read, Ahmadinejad rode into power on a populist message of improving the domestic economic situation in Iran, and has used his increasingly bellicose foreign policy stances as a way to distract the Iranian populace from his utter failure to do so.

Yes, but I read a piece in the Economist a few months ago which seemed to indicate that the foreign policy stunts are not really distracting the Iranian population. If Khatami runs in the upcoming election, he'll likely win it.

oldmanken on
  • Options
    postinonthenetspostinonthenets Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    The government of Israel comes off as pretty darn racist.

Of course hearing this from someone as equally racist, sexist, and generally loony toony doesn't really help.

Gays do not exist in Iran!

postinonthenets on
    Solitude sometimes is best society, and short retirement urges sweet return

Twitter
  • Options
    SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Narian wrote: »
    It happens every time an election come up and every time it gets cuts down by the Supreme Court (or the Israeli equivalent) for being unconstitutional.

It's like saying Michelle Bachmann is representative of the United States.

SyphonBlue on
    LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
  • Options
    ScalfinScalfin __BANNED USERS regular
    edited April 2009
    SyphonBlue wrote: »

Except the whole thing with the Arab parties seemed to be personal. From all accounts, the Arab parties got into a pissing contest with the nationalist parties, and the nationalists won.

What probably prompted the walkout is Iran (I'm not going to bother trying to spell the name) saying Israel was the most despotic regime, when one can bet that the western countries that were there were there to try to address Darfur.

Honestly, I think Israel would be well served to raise a stink about the Uighurs in Xinjiang. It isn't as dependent on China as we are (in fact, China bankrolls most of its enemies) and needs the good will in the Muslim community. If it pulls it off, Israel could become a flag bearer of pan-Islam.

Scalfin on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    The rest of you, I fucking hate you for the fact that I now have a blue dot on this god awful thread.
  • Options
    Phoenix-DPhoenix-D Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Scalfin wrote: »

Except the whole thing with the Arab parties seemed to be personal. From all accounts, the Arab parties got into a pissing contest with the nationalist parties, and the nationalists won.

What probably prompted the walkout is Iran (I'm not going to bother trying to spell the name) saying Israel was the most despotic regime, when one can bet that the western countries that were there were there to try to address Darfur.

Honestly, I think Israel would be well served to raise a stink about the Uighurs in Xinjiang. It isn't as dependent on China as we are (in fact, China bankrolls most of its enemies) and needs the good will in the Muslim community. If it pulls it off, Israel could become a flag bearer of pan-Islam.

Can I assume you meant "Iran" there and not Isreal? o_O

Phoenix-D on
  • Options
    ElJeffeElJeffe Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited April 2009

I'm not sure where you're going with that point, but Michelle Bachmann is representative of a pretty large minority of the US.

ElJeffe on
    I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • Options
    EmanonEmanon __BANNED USERS regular
    edited April 2009
    Even the UN's drama is irrelevant. Such an impotent organization.

Emanon on
    Treats Animals Right!
  • Options
    SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    ElJeffe wrote: »

I'm not sure where you're going with that point, but Michelle Bachmann is representative of a pretty large minority of the US.

She is A representative, but she is not representative.

SyphonBlue on
    LxX6eco.jpg
  • Options
    GungHoGungHo Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Who?

GungHo on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Crazy rep from Minnesota.

postinonthenets on

Twitter
  • Options
    QinguQingu Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Ahmadinejad is basically the geopolitical equivalent of an internet troll. Like any troll worth his salt, some of his quips contain elements of truth in them. There is racism in Israel and their treatment of Palestinians is unjust in many ways, but the way he points out these issues is just trolling.

I don't think the proper response is to walk out on him though. Maybe laughter would be better.

Qingu on
  • Options
    EmanonEmanon __BANNED USERS regular
    edited April 2009

I'm calling the NTSB, another thread has been derailed into right-wing bashing... again.

Emanon on
    Treats Animals Right!
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Emanon wrote: »

I'm calling the NTSB, another thread has been derailed into right-wing bashing... again.

I meant representative, not repub.

But okay...

postinonthenets on

Twitter
  • Options
    edited April 2009

But okay...

Just ignore it.

SyphonBlue on
    LxX6eco.jpg
  • Options
    SageinaRageSageinaRage Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Ok, I'm confused, because I was under the impression israel was fairly racist. Of course not everyone, but rather large chunks. Is this not the case? I mean, even if it did get overturned, they did vote to deny political parties based on race.

SageinaRage on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    SentrySentry Registered User regular
    edited April 2009

But okay...

He knows what you meant... to the extent that he can ever really "know" anything not dictated to him by Fox News.

Regardless.... Israel is racist, but in much the same way the U.S. is racist. It's policies can be abhorrent, but they aren't representative of all the people the states encompass.

Frankly, getting a lecture from the guy who hosted the Holocaust is Bullshit symposium is pretty fucking rich.

Sentry on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    wrote:
    When I was a little kid, I always pretended I was the hero,' Skip said.
    'Fuck yeah, me too. What little kid ever pretended to be part of the lynch-mob?'
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Ok, I'm confused, because I was under the impression israel was fairly racist. Of course not everyone, but rather large chunks. Is this not the case? I mean, even if it did get overturned, they did vote to deny political parties based on race.

Some of their population/parties are really fucking racist. While it's considered rude to point this out on a national stage (up there with pointing out the Armenians and expecting Turkey to not throw a rock at you), the Iranian president likes to take it 8 steps too far as a hobby.

kildy on
  • Options
    LawndartLawndart Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Qingu wrote: »
    Ahmadinejad is basically the geopolitical equivalent of an internet troll. Like any troll worth his salt, some of his quips contain elements of truth in them. There is racism in Israel and their treatment of Palestinians is unjust in many ways, but the way he points out these issues is just trolling.

I don't think the proper response is to walk out on him though. Maybe laughter would be better.

At least one of the protesters was wearing a rainbow-colored clown wig and threw red clown noses at Ahmadinejad. Which may not fall under the definition of a "proper" response, but I found it amusing.

Lawndart on
  • Options
    EvanderEvander Disappointed Father Registered User regular
    edited April 2009

And the fact that he is absolutely corrupted by the drive for power would make him better?

Evander on
  • Options
    HozHoz Cool Cat Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Yes, but I read a piece in the Economist a few months ago which seemed to indicate that the foreign policy stunts are not really distracting the Iranian population. If Khatami runs in the upcoming election, he'll likely win it.
    He dropped out of the race because another moderate entered the race and he didn't want to split the votes.

Hoz on
  • Options
    edited April 2009

There is some racism, but it's pretty consistent with other nations (Israeli Arabs only complain that veterans get special treatment, and Israel tends to frown on Muslims serving because it doesn't want to force people to fight family or violate their beliefs [the Quaran outlaws intermuslim combat], and some trouble visiting family in the PT). There is a fair bit of nationalism, though.

They actually didn't ban parties based on race. As I noted earlier, both Arab parties were involved in a pissing contest and lost. If I remember correctly, one of the party's leaders said something the nationalists didn't like, and so the MKs started hurling insults at each other. The other Arab party joined the fray with some insults, and the nationalists were able to get enough of the Knesset to say "fine, whatever" to kick the two parties out.

Scalfin on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    The rest of you, I fucking hate you for the fact that I now have a blue dot on this god awful thread.
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Hoz wrote: »
    He dropped out of the race because another moderate entered the race and he didn't want to split the votes.

Yeah, I saw that after I posted. Apparently a poll from the end of March puts this new candidate, Mir-Hossein Mousavi, at about 52%, whereas Ahmadinejad is only coming in at about 32%. I think you're going to see a bit of a change in the regime come June.

oldmanken on
  • Options
    edited April 2009

There is some racism, but it's pretty consistent with other nations (Israeli Arabs only complain that veterans get special treatment, and Israel tends to frown on Muslims serving because it doesn't want to force people to fight family or violate their beliefs [the Quaran outlaws intermuslim combat], and some trouble visiting family in the PT). There is a fair bit of nationalism, though.

They actually didn't ban parties based on race. As I noted earlier, both Arab parties were involved in a pissing contest and lost. If I remember correctly, one of the party's leaders said something the nationalists didn't like, and so the MKs started hurling insults at each other. The other Arab party joined the fray with some insults, and the nationalists were able to get enough of the Knesset to say "fine, whatever" to kick the two parties out.

Indeed.

It was two specific parties who were targetted, not all arabs/muslims

If you ask me, the whole barring them from the elections was STILL wrong (I lean to the left when it comes to Israeli politics.), but let's not misrepresent things.

Evander on
  • Options
    PowerpuppiesPowerpuppies drinking coffee in the mountain cabinRegistered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Evander wrote: »

And the fact that he is absolutely corrupted by the drive for power would make him better?

The idea was that it's conceivable for a reasonable person trying to make progress leading his country to say bullshit things to stay in power so that he can make progress leading his country. It appears that this guy is not a reasonable person, to say the least. I'm not very knowledgeable about middle eastern politics, it appears that while my comment may be true in the general case it is highly unlikely in this case.

Powerpuppies on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    edited April 2009

The idea was that it's conceivable for a reasonable person trying to make progress leading his country to say bullshit things to stay in power so that he can make progress leading his country. It appears that this guy is not a reasonable person, to say the least. I'm not very knowledgeable about middle eastern politics, it appears that while my comment may be true in the general case it is highly unlikely in this case.

Would you trust peace made with a man who is so comfortable with lying?

I'm sorry, but your whole covert-ops take on fixing a country from within by pretending to be a bigot so that you can get elected is cute, but it is also the stuff of Hollywood, not the stuff of reality.

Evander on
  • Options
    edited April 2009

Would you trust peace made with a man who is so comfortable with lying?

I'm sorry, but your whole covert-ops take on fixing a country from within by pretending to be a bigot so that you can get elected is cute, but it is also the stuff of Hollywood, not the stuff of reality.

We're getting off-topic, but yes I would, and I think it's more naive to think that in some cases good politicians* say things they don't believe to stay in power than to think this never happens. It's a moot point anyway because it seems the overwhelming evidence is that the Iranian prez is not a good politician*.

*defined as politicians who are worth approaching diplomatically and may be willing to make reasonable compromises

Powerpuppies on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Phoenix-D wrote: »

No, I'm talking about how Israel can get on its neighbor's good side by being a frontrunner in area interests ((Xinjiang is pretty much Tibet with Muslims). It's kind of like all those GE ads about how green it is.

Scalfin on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    I'm not saying that people don't bend the truth to their own benefit.

I'm saying that a man like Ahmadinejad who is willing to go SO FAR in what he says is not a man to expect things to come from. There are limits to propriety.

Evander on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Phoenix-D wrote: »

No, I'm talking about how Israel can get on its neighbor's good side by being a frontrunner in area interests ((Xinjiang is pretty much Tibet with Muslims). It's kind of like all those GE ads about how green it is.

I think you're placing too much Power in Israel's hands.

Israel will never be seen as a champion of the Islamic world as long as certain extremist clerics are still having attention paid to them. Arab/Muslim Rejectionism will paint Israel in a negative light no matter what they do.

Evander on
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Even the UN's drama is irrelevant. Such an impotent organization.
    Oh yes, because decaying diplomatic relationships are just hi-larious.

Fencingsax on
  • Options
    ElJeffeElJeffe Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited April 2009
    ElJeffe wrote: »

She is A representative, but she is not representative.

She gets a ton of support for even her most vile comments from the mouthpieces on the right, and thus by the people who listen to those mouthpieces. I'm not saying she's representative of the entire country, or even the entire GOP, but there is a not-insignificant number of people who fully embrace her rhetoric. Hence "pretty large minority".

But, yeah, this is off-topic; I just wanted to clarify what I meant.

ElJeffe on
    I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.