Options

Torchlight: It's got a new thread now!

• Options
    El GuacoEl Guaco Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Dang, this is very soon! It's going to be a fun week and then my loyalties will be split with Borderlands, followed by LFD2! This is going to be a great month of gaming for me.

Edit: Oops. They are coming out the same week (on PC at least). It's going to be hard to decide which one to play first!

El Guaco on
  • Options
    thepizzaelementalthepizzaelemental Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    You know, this looks a whole lot like Fate.

Which wasn't a bad game. It had some good features.

thepizzaelemental on
    MH3: B77AE9 - Natou
  • Options
    VolbardVolbard Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Hi guys, sorry I've been away from the thread for a while.
    El Guaco wrote:
    Wait...I thought the dungeons were randomly generated...so why would they release a level editor?

We don't generate levels totally randomly, because they get pretty muddy and uninteresting if you do that. We make lots of level chunks, and then those are put together in random ways to make the levels. We're using bigger chunks this time than we did in Mythos, because like devoir said it lets us do more interesting stuff within a room.

It's also possible to make totally static dungeons in the editor, if that's what you're into.
    Delzhand wrote:
    Also, question for the devs: roughly how many polygons are in a model like this?
    About 1800 I think. I'm not an artist, but our art team has answered a lot of questions like this on our forum.
    4rch3nemy wrote:
    While the trailers look great and get me pumped to play.. what progression system are they aiming for? Skill points? Talent trees? Stat points?

Also what kind of equipment system are they going to have?

Skill points with a tree that is limited by character level, stat points that increase damage and are required to equip some weapons and armor. You can build your characters in really different ways, investing in strength and defense to make a melee alchemist for example.

We have lots of equipment, and it can all get random magic affixes and sockets, and there are unique versions of most pieces that look different. Hope that's the sort of information you're looking for!
    schmads wrote:
    Speaking of which, has anyone seen the system requirements listed somewhere? I'm not finding them on the site, and I'm wondering if my decrepit laptop will play it (unlikely).

It might! We have it working on crappy netbooks, with lowered settings. The game doesn't use any shaders, our min spec is 800MHz with a Geforce2. The website has more details.

And... I see now that you found them already.
    Silpheed wrote:
    So, is there a concrete release date for this game?
    Yes, Oct 27th. There is not a concrete hour, we're working on it.
    You know, this looks a whole lot like Fate.
    We have pretty much the whole original Fate team here at Runic. We worked on Mythos after that, and now we're on to Torchlight. We like action RPGs.

Thanks for checking the game out guys, tell your friends! ¦^)

Volbard on
  • Options
    KrathoonKrathoon Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I like where the animation is going with this one. Nice and smooth. No rigid movements.

Krathoon on
  • Options
    s3rial ones3rial one Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    How is the leveling speed in this game relative to Mythos?

I really liked the art and the skill system in Mythos, but the leveling always felt too slow, and that made putting skill points into the tree itself (as opposed to the skills) feel like torture.

I always wound up building my character around skills that you could get in the first 2 or 3 tiers, because the later ones took forever to get, let alone level up.

That said, I'll probably be holding off until the multiplayer is added in. These kind of games don't hold my interest for very long without friends to play with.

s3rial one on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Oh, so now it's coming out on Steam on the 27th as well. It's another game to add to the list of games coming out that week that I MUST play. What a great problem to have.

El Guaco on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    El Guaco wrote: »
    Oh, so now it's coming out on Steam.

Damn it, there's that word again. Please tell me this isn't going to require some internet-activation nonsense. I hate having to take down my PC and drag it to my parents' house to borrow their internet just to play a game I'm only going to be playing single-player on anyway.

thepizzaelemental on
  • Options
    Lars_DomusLars_Domus Registered User regular
    edited October 2009

Damn it, there's that word again. Please tell me this isn't going to require some internet-activation nonsense. I hate having to take down my PC and drag it to my parents' house to borrow their internet just to play a game I'm only going to be playing single-player on anyway.

You can buy it directly from Runic's site as well. As I understand it, that won't require a connection apart from for the initial download/registration.

Edit: Also, the developers get a larger share of the money that way.

Lars_Domus on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Lars_Domus wrote: »

You can buy it directly from Runic's site as well. As I understand it, that won't require a connection apart from for the initial download/registration.

That still requires me to move my PC and borrow some internet. Not that I'm against the devs getting more money. I'd rather they get my money than Valve or some other publisher.

thepizzaelemental on
  • Options
    Lars_DomusLars_Domus Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Lars_Domus wrote: »

That still requires me to move my PC and borrow some internet. Not that I'm against the devs getting more money. I'd rather they get my money than Valve or some other publisher.

Oh, I see where you're coming from now. I thought this was about that stuff I keep hearing about Steam requiring an active connection just to be able to launch your games (I don't know, I've never used it.)

Guess you'll just have to wait and see how their registration scheme works, then.

Lars_Domus on
  • Options
    SilpheedSilpheed Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Yeah, I'll be getting this from the developers site as well. I want to support them as much as possible over feeding the european branch of Steam.

Silpheed on
  • Options
    RowengaunttRowengauntt Registered User new member
    edited October 2009
    korodullin wrote: »
    Okay, I'm not going to let this thread die this quickly. There's been an interview with Travis Baldtree about Torchlight, and it's cleared up a few things, namely that it's actually a single player game that's being developed first in order to fund an MMO set in the same world.

It's also being developed as "highly moddable," with mod tools slated to be released alongside the game. Aside from that it's a moderately decent interview, with a lot of talk about influences (Lovecraft? Dwarf Fortress?) and tech talk about their new game engine that they've built over the past few months.

I'm really stoked for this, especially since it's not going to be an MMO right off the bat. Seems like Runic's the anti-Flagship now.
    I totally agree with you on the topic of it being modable. I don't think people understand how extensive the tools they are releasing are. If you think something like the MedianXL mod for DII was fun to play with than be sure to look foreward to what fans will do with this. I guess I see this as a sort of Academic peer review involved in the process of making games. I hope it's great!

Rowengauntt on
  • Options
    DelzhandDelzhand Hard to miss. Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I don't think people understand how extensive the tools they are releasing are.

They ought to, I've posted videos in the thread.

Delzhand on
  • Options
    devoirdevoir Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G2SNjfah3as Possibly NSFW for pillowfight.

devoir on
  • Options
    jhunter46jhunter46 Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    If this runs even decently well on a netbook than I'm sold.

jhunter46 on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    It does. It even has netbook specific presets.

devoir on
  • Options
    MikestaMikesta Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    The only complaint I had about Mythos was that it didn't have a strong single-player component (well, obviously, I guess). Honestly, it felt like a version of D2 with only side quests.

So, hearing that this game is primarily single-player has me pretty excited!

Mikesta on
    untitled.jpg

You mess with the dolphin, you get the nose.
  • Options
    FireWeaselFireWeasel Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Is this being released in retail? Or is it specific to web?

FireWeasel on
    AC:CL Wii -- 3824-2125-9336 City: Felinito Me: Nick
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    FireWeasel wrote: »

Retail is so 18th century.

Mikesta on
    untitled.jpg

• Options
    KiTAKiTA Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Mikesta wrote: »
    The only complaint I had about Mythos was that it didn't have a strong single-player component (well, obviously, I guess). Honestly, it felt like a version of D2 with only side quests.

So, hearing that this game is primarily single-player has me pretty excited!

True, except they keep mentioning wanting to make it into a Guild Wars style MMO eventually. That is odd. Although with a certain number of tweaks (challenge dungeons randomly by the server that are shared with all players once a week/month/etc, for example) it could be great.

KiTA on
  • Options
    FireWeaselFireWeasel Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Mikesta wrote: »
    FireWeasel wrote: »

Retail is so 18th century.

I'm an 18th-century man. I'm hoping to pick it up at Ye Olde Vendore after I go get treated for scurvy.

FireWeasel on
    AC:CL Wii -- 3824-2125-9336 City: Felinito Me: Nick
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    It'll be available in physical box format in January.

devoir on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    I loved the animations in Mythos, and it looks like you guys have carried that quality over into this new game. I'm really excited to kill my first zombie and watch it die.

Mikesta on
    untitled.jpg

• Options
    TzyrTzyr Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    http://store.steampowered.com/app/41500/

Torchlight is available to be pre-ordered on Steam, for 2 bucks off (17.99). Probably like a lot of Steam's pre-release sales, this sale will go till the release.

I'm definitely excited, both who is behind the game and also using Ogre3D, an engine which I've used as well. Though I am also really curious as to how they will handle the MMO version.

In the mean time, I will enjoy playing Machinarium.

Tzyr on
  • Options
    KiTAKiTA Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Oh hey, Ogre3D is open source. Neat!

KiTA on
  • Options
    arcatharcath Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I just found out about this game.

I cant for the life of me understand how I missed this for so long.

This is going to be a day 1 purchase for sure.

arcath on
    camo_sig.png
  • Options
    kerskkersk regular
    edited October 2009
    If this game had multiplayer I would so throw down $60 for it right now, no questions asked.

I don't mean an MMO, I just mean Diablo 2-style multiplayer with ~4-8 player co-op with some friends.

The game looks amazing right now, but without multiplayer for this type of game, it went from a no questions purchase at $60 to a borderline maybe at $20.

Breaks my heart. :-(

kersk on
  • Options
    VolbardVolbard Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    arcath wrote: »
    I just found out about this game.

I cant for the life of me understand how I missed this for so long.

This is going to be a day 1 purchase for sure.

Sweet, tell your friends!
    arcath wrote:
    The game looks amazing right now, but without multiplayer for this type of game, it went from a no questions purchase at $60 to a borderline maybe at $20.

Sorry, multi-player would have taken a lot longer to make. Since you're on the fence you should try the demo when it comes out next week and see what you think. Multi would be a lot of fun, but single player games have their own strengths.

Volbard on
  • Options
    schmadsschmads Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    In thinking about it, I am more interested in MMO-style games if they have single-player games to get me sucked in. I mean, I played WoW for 4 years, but I haven't been able to get any other MMO to stick for more than a month or two. Why? For me I think it's because I already had a frame of reference for the world (Warcraft II & III, which I played single-player only because I suck at RTS), and therefore I had some idea of why I was bothering to collect 18 boar jawbones. I will be very curious to see if this model works out well for Torchlight (I sincerely hope it does).

You know, I was going to buy this from them directly, but Steam makes it so very easy for me to uninstall and reinstall games on my various systems as I like, I may have to get it there. I hope that they still get a reasonable profit from Steam sales. I see it's #10 in the current top sellers list on there, so maybe that will help raise it's visibility!

schmads on
    Battle.net/SC2: Kwisatz.868 | Steam/XBL/PSN/Gamecenter: schmads | BattleTag/D3: Schmads#1144 | Hero Academy & * With Friends: FallenKwisatz | 3DS: 4356-0128-9671
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    I'm waffling between getting it on Steam or getting it directly from Runic.

1) $2 off on Steam. It's not much, but it appeals to the inner cheapass.
    2) Steam's offline mode is a pain in the ass to use and requires prior knowledge of needing it.
    3) Higher margins for a direct sale.
    4) I contribute to getting it on the top-seller charts on Steam and thus getting it more publicity and sales.

Or is Runic just getting royalties based on the total number of copies sold, and Perfect World is the one more concerned about profit margins per unit depending on sale source?

devoir on
  • Options
    korodullinkorodullin What. SCRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    devoir wrote: »
    2) Steam's offline mode is a pain in the ass to use and requires prior knowledge of needing it.

It does? I've been on a spotty wireless connection the past few weeks, and have had to go into offline mode with Steam many times so I could play Arkham Asylum and Mass Effect, and it went into offline mode and started both games without a care in the world, despite being already offline when I did so.

korodullin on
    ZvOMJnu.png
    - The Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse (2017, colorized)
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Hrm, interesting. I've had issues in the past when trying to run a LAN game through Steam at the office before we hooked up the gaming switch up to the 'net.

In the case, there's one of my worries gone.

devoir on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    I'm waffling between getting it on Steam or getting it directly from Runic.

1) $2 off on Steam. It's not much, but it appeals to the inner cheapass.
    3) Higher margins for a direct sale.
    4) I contribute to getting it on the top-seller charts on Steam and thus getting it more publicity and sales.

Or is Runic just getting royalties based on the total number of copies sold, and Perfect World is the one more concerned about profit margins per unit depending on sale source?

Even if you give the money directly to Runic, they have to pay for the servers & bandwidth to deliver it to you. So it's not like they're just losing the money by going through Steam, they may be breaking even dollar-wise, but gain a lot more sales through the exposure. Without the actual numbers, we'd never know, but apparently they think it's in their best interest to do so, so I'd rather take the stance of the consumer's best interest comes first and buy it where it makes the most sense to you. The developers will follow the money in terms of distribution.

El Guaco on
  • Options
    korodullinkorodullin What. SCRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Hrm, interesting. I've had issues in the past when trying to run a LAN game through Steam at the office before we hooked up the gaming switch up to the 'net.

In the case, there's one of my worries gone.

I mean, I've had issues getting Steam into offline mode as well, but that was, like, four years ago. No problems now.

korodullin on
    ZvOMJnu.png
    - The Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse (2017, colorized)
  • Options
    GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    KiTA wrote: »
    Oh hey, Ogre3D is open source. Neat!

If you go to the Ogre3D forums, there is a Torchlight thread where one of the guys from Runic posts, and he's been very forthcoming with how they used Ogre, even giving some pretty interesting technical details.

As someone who has used Ogre for years (since before 1.0), it's really neat to see it being used in a bigger-than-tiny commercial title.

GnomeTank on
    Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Boughted on Steam. Offline mode working clinched it for me.

devoir on
  • Options
    What Is Schwa?What Is Schwa? Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Super boughted on Steam. This looks so awesome.

What Is Schwa? on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Oh, and Volbard, the italian concept artist you have working for you deserves a medal and a half. Your entire team are great with the community and on your own forums, but he's probably single handedly responsible for some fifty confirmed preorders due to his communication and enthusiasm on the Something Awful forums, not counting those who haven't chimed in about their purchase or are planning to buy direct day 1.

A shining example of developer/customer relations, as opposed to crappy shilling.

devoir on
  • Options
    surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Bought it on steam, this shit is the bestest.

surrealitycheck on
    obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    DelzhandDelzhand Hard to miss. Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Oh, and Volbard, the italian concept artist you have working for you deserves a medal and a half. Your entire team are great with the community and on your own forums, but he's probably single handedly responsible for some fifty confirmed preorders due to his communication and enthusiasm on the Something Awful forums, not counting those who haven't chimed in about their purchase or are planning to buy direct day 1.

A shining example of developer/customer relations, as opposed to crappy shilling.

Yeah, I long for the day when execs realize "create a rapport with people who might actually want your product" is more effective advertising than "pretend your product is the best thing since sex and anyone who doesn't want it lives an incomplete life"

Delzhand on