As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Castlevania: Portrait of Ruin

• Options
    The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Imitation wrote:
    Chorazin wrote:
    So this is out, right? I should go to my EBGames and pick it up? I just hope they give me the promo, or heads will roll.

It is a pre-order bonus, so if you didn't pre-order you won't get it. Seems logical, right?
    I did pre-order it. But I've been screwed by EB before. They didn't give me a bonus GBA>GC link cable when I pre-ordered final fantasy: Crystal Chronicles, and they promised me one when I pre-ordered it.

I just left my local Gamestop and was informed that they did not recieve as many pre order bonus's as pre orders. They only had enough to cover through mid November. So if you get to choose between checking now and later. I'd choose now.

Same here. I was pretty pissed, even though it's really the developers that decide how many pre-order bonus packs they send to each store, not necessarily GS's fault. I wonder if writing Konami an angry letter would do anything... I was really looking forward to that stuff.
    I doubt it. It's Konami. This is the same company that screwed the entire country of Canada out of MGS3:S special edition because the US had more preorders than actual copies.

The Wolfman on
    "The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options
    Arin ZephyrArin Zephyr Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Ah well. Also, I really should not be complaining in such a thread of AWESOME HAPPINESS.

It's on Gamefaqs and prolly already posted, but did you know you can play using the Japanese voiceovers instead of English ones by holding L when you select a game on the main menu?

Also I felt a rush of glee when (first five minutes but ohwells spoilers for those who don't have it)
    [spoiler:5ef35962aa]I entered the first painting and there was a new map and RATE % reset, indictating that the span of the areas you can enter is not limited to Dracula's Castle this time. Haven't gotten more than one area to get 100% in since Harmony of Dissonance or Symphony, and even those were just backwards, inside out or whatever.[/spoiler:5ef35962aa]

Castlevania never gets old. Ever. And it's just great that way.

Arin Zephyr on
    I'll put something pretty here someday
  • Options
    GinoGino Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    crash5s wrote:
    Gino wrote:
    Renzo wrote:
    ijdgaf wrote:
    22 actually.

Hey, I'm still playing catch-up on the Mario games. I'm trying to tackle these franchises one at a time. But I think Castlevania's next.
    I'd recommend trying 1 and 3 (Dracula's Curse, I think) on the NES, 4 (Super CastleVania IV) on the SNES, Symphony of the Night on the PS1, Aria of Sorrow on the GBA, Dawn of Sorrow on the DS, and Lament of Innocence and Circle of Darkness on the PS2. I assume Portrait will be good too.

Some will argue with my list, especially 2 is worth playing and that all three GBA games are worth it, but as long as you're catching up on an entire series, you might want to separate the wheat from the chaff for time's sake. And I'd argue that Aria is the best of the three GBA installments.

But I wouldn't fault you if you wanted to try all of them. Even the N64 games.

And they only started to resemble Metroid with Symphony of the Night. I actually prefer them to Metroid. All the RPG elements are beautiful.

did you just fail to recommend Simon's Quest? You loss at everything.

Simons Quest can be a bit of a turn off as an introduction to castlevania. It's definetly the odd ball out of the traditional 2d games. The game grows on you though if you've played through the others.

I'm shocked he left out Chi No Rondo. Which is regarded as the best in the series.

Let's hope it comes out on the VC.

Rondo of blood right? I never played it but it was for PC Engine right? Did it come to the states on the TG-16?

EDIT: It's not on the timeline.

Gino on
  • Options
    Shazkar ShadowstormShazkar Shadowstorm Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    This is really quite ridiculous because not only have I not beat Megaman ZX, Starfox Command, Final Fantasy 3, and Dragon Quest: Rocket Slime... but my Wii is at home and after finals I'm going to be playing Zelda all the time.

So how the fuck do I find time to fit in Castlevania?

Not to mention other Wii games or even older DS games I haven't beaten.

This is ridiculous.

Shazkar Shadowstorm on
    poo
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    This is really quite ridiculous because not only have I not beat Megaman ZX, Starfox Command, Final Fantasy 3, and Dragon Quest: Rocket Slime... but my Wii is at home and after finals I'm going to be playing Zelda all the time.

This is ridiculous.

well you should have beaten Starfox, Megaman and Rocetslime already.

I beat those months ago.

Gino on
  • Options
    crash5scrash5s Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Gino wrote:
    crash5s wrote:
    Gino wrote:
    Renzo wrote:
    ijdgaf wrote:
    22 actually.

Hey, I'm still playing catch-up on the Mario games. I'm trying to tackle these franchises one at a time. But I think Castlevania's next.
    I'd recommend trying 1 and 3 (Dracula's Curse, I think) on the NES, 4 (Super CastleVania IV) on the SNES, Symphony of the Night on the PS1, Aria of Sorrow on the GBA, Dawn of Sorrow on the DS, and Lament of Innocence and Circle of Darkness on the PS2. I assume Portrait will be good too.

Some will argue with my list, especially 2 is worth playing and that all three GBA games are worth it, but as long as you're catching up on an entire series, you might want to separate the wheat from the chaff for time's sake. And I'd argue that Aria is the best of the three GBA installments.

And they only started to resemble Metroid with Symphony of the Night. I actually prefer them to Metroid. All the RPG elements are beautiful.

Simons Quest can be a bit of a turn off as an introduction to castlevania. It's definetly the odd ball out of the traditional 2d games. The game grows on you though if you've played through the others.

I'm shocked he left out Chi No Rondo. Which is regarded as the best in the series.

Rondo of blood right? I never played it but it was for PC Engine right? Did it come to the states on the TG-16?

It was out for the PC Engine and it never made it to the states for the TG-16.

There was a (rather sloppy in comparison) "port" of the game called dracula X for the SNES that did make it to the states. Which, on it's own, is not a half bad game. However it's no where near the quality of Rondo and lacks most of the elements that made Rondo great.

Rondo only has one blemish on it... it's easy. Not as easy as SoTN or all the GBA/DS games, but compared to the SNES/NES/Sega games it's a walk in the park.

The animated cut scenes are a laugh riot though.

crash5s on
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    crash5s wrote:
    Gino wrote:
    crash5s wrote:
    Gino wrote:
    Renzo wrote:
    ijdgaf wrote:
    22 actually.

There was a (rather sloppy in comparison) "port" of the game called dracula X for the SNES that did make it to the states. Which, on it's own, is not a half bad game. However it's no where near the quality of Rondo and lacks most of the elements that made Rondo great.

Rondo only has one blemish on it... it's easy. Not as easy as SoTN or all the GBA/DS games, but compared to the SNES/NES/Sega games it's a walk in the park.

what is so great about it? in my expierance people often thing the greatest game in the series is the one that is impossible to get. Are you sure it's not just that?

Gino on
  • Options
    crash5scrash5s Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Gino wrote:
    crash5s wrote:
    Gino wrote:
    crash5s wrote:
    Gino wrote:
    Renzo wrote:
    ijdgaf wrote:
    22 actually.

what is so great about it? in my expierance people often thing the greatest game in the series is the one that is impossible to get. Are you sure it's not just that?

The CD audio tracks on it are absolutely incredible, nearly the quality of SoTN (though some would claim Rondo is still better).

The cut scenes are (despite the cheesey animation which was quite good for it's time) better then anything they have tried to push since. The gameplay is simply great. It's a lot more well thought out then any of the other level based CV's. You can play as maria (though she's extremely abusive). A lot of play elements in later games started off in Rondo, as well as a lot of the art (literally reused in many cases).

Plus the overall style of it just oozes quality.

It's only fault is that it's to easy. SoTN and all the "castletroid" games are easy to the point where you shouldn't die going through them... even without using the broken weapons/combos. Rondo is just as easy.

But where as in SoTN and the other games you can run through the game and equip crud weapons to make the game harder there isn't really an option in rondo.

If you can finish CV1/3/4 at all, odds are you can finish Rondo without having to continue.

I

crash5s on
  • Options
    SirUltimosSirUltimos Don't talk, Rusty. Just paint. Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    EB called me and told me the game is in, but I do not have a way to get out there. This is most disturbing.

SirUltimos on
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    Gino wrote:

This is ridiculous.

well you should have beaten Starfox, Megaman and Rocetslime already.

I beat those months ago.

Man, you're right.
    College makes this so hard. Damn having friends and work. Back at home all my friends lived car rides away and I had no work, but now all the friends are right outside the door, and wanting to play Smash Bros.

THERE IS NO ME TIME!

Shazkar Shadowstorm on
    poo
  • Options
    Anonymous RobotAnonymous Robot Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Guys I went to get this game, but stopped to get some gifts for my brother and sister. Walking in, I saw the guy in the store take home the last preorder materials. Kinda bummed about that.

Anonymous Robot on
    Sigs shouldn't be higher than 80 pixels - Elki.

photo02-film.jpg
  • Options
    DraysothDraysoth Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Well, I'm what... just past 2 bosses in, and I can wholeheartedly recommend this game.

Also, geek points for me... I told the girl I already had my preorder bonus when she almost gave me a 2nd set (and a 2nd for MGS:PO)... I couldn't live with myself if someone ended up with my sweet sweet bonuses for this one cuz they were greedy.

I'll post my friend code in a bit... from the manual, looks like you don't actually lose any items if other people shop in your shop via wi-fi. How cool is that?

Draysoth on
    WiiU ID - Draysoth1
    Xbox Live - Draysoth1
    PSN - Draysoth
    Steam - Draysoth
    3DS - 2320-6133-3744
    Please let me know if you add me!
  • Options
    RuinsRuins Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Will the extendable stylus fit in the old DS slot?

Ruins on
    ach.png
  • Options
    Neo RasaNeo Rasa Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    I'm glad the ninja maids have returned. The "Yokoso!" voice over is intact, plus now the vaccuum ones instinctively attempt to vaccuum you as they're first action. All it does is partially suck up your jacket for 0 damage (though in Charlotte's case it almost pulls her skirt up, which is hilarious because she does that Alucard-esque "WHAT?!" type exclamation).

Ninja maids make any game funnier.

The English voice overs are pretty good too, I didn't think the ones for common enemies would be anything to write home about but I don't find them irritating at all. Even the "I SEE YOU!" those harpy sniper things say is cool.

Neo Rasa on
    "You know how Batman hangs people over the edge of buildings and gets them to spill information. That's Neo Rasa's way of it, but instead of information, he just likes to see people suffer." ~Senor Fish
  • Options
    LotharsLothars Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Mr_Rose wrote:
    No, wait, bonus extra rant: I goddamn hate the fucking customs charges in this country. AARRGHH!!!

Same here, I bought a year of live and the camera and than I find out when today there's 20 dollars in customs charges on it now, which is just bull

I wish Custom would just not exist

Lothars on
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    Cymoro wrote:
    Oh my god, the preorder bonus.

oh my god it is so good

<3

I preordered the game on monday and I got a preorder bonus when I picked up the game today :D

I am excited to see what it's like, it looks like it will be amazing

Lothars on
  • Options
    YesNoMuYesNoMu Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Castlevania get! The bonus is very slick. Ripping the CD now, it's friggin' huge. The artbook is fantastic. Not as long as it could be, but still pretty comprehensive. I'm reminded of just how bland DoS's art was, though. Flipping between it and Aria, it's night and day. The artist ought to be embarrassed to be in the same book as Kojima. PoR's is better, but still a big step down. Still, next to Wind Waker's as the best preorder bonus ever.

Why didn't Kojima work on PoR's art, anyway? Is there another console CV in the works?

YesNoMu on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    BlueBlueBlueBlue Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Ruins wrote:
    Will the extendable stylus fit in the old DS slot?
    No, it's the same size as the lite stylus, too thick.

BlueBlue on
    CD World Tour status:
    Baidol Voprostein Avraham Thetheroo Taya Zerofill Effef Crimson King Lalabox Mortal Sky ASimPerson Sal Wiet Theidar Tynic Speed Racer Neotoma Goatmon ==>Larlar Munkus Beaver Day of the Bear miscellaneousinsanity Skull Man Delzhand Caulk Bite 6 Somestickguy
  • Options
    JJJJ DailyStormer Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    YesNoMu wrote:
    Castlevania get! The bonus is very slick. Ripping the CD now, it's friggin' huge. The artbook is fantastic. Not as long as it could be, but still pretty comprehensive. I'm reminded of just how bland DoS's art was, though. Flipping between it and Aria, it's night and day. The artist ought to be embarrassed to be in the same book as Kojima. PoR's is better, but still a big step down. Still, next to Wind Waker's as the best preorder bonus ever.

Why didn't Kojima work on PoR's art, anyway? Is there another console CV in the works?

You're going to share, right?

cute-blonde-lab-puppy-picture.jpg

JJ on
  • Options
    harvestharvest By birthright, a stupendous badass.Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    God damn, one ass-raping boss after another. I haven't been so challenged by a Castlevania game in ages.

harvest on
    B6yM5w2.gif
  • Options
    MinionOfCthulhuMinionOfCthulhu Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    I can't open it yet because it's a Christmas gift, but I picked up my preorder of Castlevania today. It appears to be covered in black paper and closed with a wax seal. Is this it? I had imagined the package to be bigger.

MinionOfCthulhu on
    mgssig.jpg1152dt.gif
  • Options
    sethsezsethsez Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    For some reason I'm not finding the bosses particularly difficult. Each one seems to have one cheesy attack that they're hopelessly weak to. They deal a lot of damage, but their attack patterns tend to be VERY predictable.

One tip, though: always send your second character away for bosses. The extra damage isn't worth the inevitable MP drain when they get hit by stray attacks.

sethsez on
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    I'm going to be so depressed for about a week that I forgot to preorder and get the slick bonus even though I knew about it for weeks and weeks.

Shazkar Shadowstorm on
    poo
  • Options
    cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    hmph. so it's probably this, EBA, and TP for Xmas.

god damnit Jesus, why couldnt you get born quicker?

cooljammer00 on
    steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • Options
    Neo RasaNeo Rasa Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    YesNoMu wrote:

Her being busy with Curse of Darkness' artwork was one reason given for her not doing Dawn of Sorrow, the other though was that Aria supposedly had very bad sales due to the cover being too complex for consumers to comprehend. So they decided to switch to a more generic and insipid anime style. :(

sethsez: I summon the parter to one spot very often during the boss fights. The bosses have patterns but I find it really easy to exploit how they lock on by planting the parter in one spot, then just recalling them after the boss begins whatever its slow build up+massive damage attack in that direction. So I constantly get free hits on the bosses. It's the Colt 45 of boss fight strategies. Works every time.

That said, minus that exploit the boss fights ARE more challenging than the other handheld Igarashi-centric games (though not as intense as Circle of the Moon's yet). They have a higher variety of attacks, the attacks come out a little faster and they do a good amount of damage to you as well.

Neo Rasa on
    "You know how Batman hangs people over the edge of buildings and gets them to spill information. That's Neo Rasa's way of it, but instead of information, he just likes to see people suffer." ~Senor Fish
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    Serious question.
    Serious.
    Fill in the blank:

If I can get the preorder bonus on eBay for ____ dollars, I should do it.

Shazkar Shadowstorm on
    poo
  • Options
    Target PracticeTarget Practice Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Well, I've been playing Castlevania: Portrait of Ruin for about an hour. Here is my one-sentence review:

Compared to this game, Dawn of Sorrow is dogshit.

I was skeptical about the whole "controlling two characters" thing, especially because Charlotte seemed useless at first, but it really works out well (although I've been avoiding using the "partner" system where the computer controls one of the characters; it doesn't seem to know how to dodge or anything. The whole "going inside pictures" thing is a silly conceit, but it does offer Castlevania a respite from the whole castle theme, if you know what I mean.

Target Practice on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    BartholamueBartholamue Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    EB can go die, seriously. I didn't get my pre-order bonus when I went to buy it. Not like it matters, that was just icing on the cake.

Bartholamue on
    Steam- SteveBartz Xbox Live- SteveBartz PSN Name- SteveBartz
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    I can't open it yet because it's a Christmas gift, but I picked up my preorder of Castlevania today. It appears to be covered in black paper and closed with a wax seal. Is this it? I had imagined the package to be bigger.

Anyone?

MinionOfCthulhu on
    mgssig.jpg1152dt.gif
  • Options
    PoochPooch Registered User regular
    edited December 2006

Anyone?
    Yeah, there a few pictures of it a page or two back and from your description it sounds the same.

Go back to page 2 i think and they also have it all opened up.

Pooch on
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    Pooch wrote:

Anyone?
    Yeah, there a few pictures of it a page or two back and from your description it sounds the same.

Hm. So it appears. I did think it was going to be bigger. I guess the actual game is buried somewhere inside?

MinionOfCthulhu on
    mgssig.jpg1152dt.gif
  • Options
    TelMarineTelMarine Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    I'm a few hours in and I'm loving the game. I have already died multiple times, this game is definitely harder than Dawn of Sorrow. Also, the coop attacks are simply awesome.

TelMarine on
    3ds: 4983-4935-4575
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    JJ wrote:
    YesNoMu wrote:

awww
    That depends. Know anyplace I can upload a 104 MB file for free, preferably without signing up for anything?

YesNoMu on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    Pooch wrote:

Anyone?

Hm. So it appears. I did think it was going to be bigger. I guess the actual game is buried somewhere inside?
    No, the game is completely separate from the bonus. And yes, the package is pretty small, about the same as a thinner videocassette. It's got a lot of stuff inside, though.

YesNoMu on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    NailbunnyPDNailbunnyPD Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Pooch wrote:

Anyone?

No, the game is separate. The black cardboard box, fastened with velcro covered with a plastic faux-wax seal, contains the artbook, games case, extendable stylus branded with Castlevania 20th, and music CD, with the tracks printed on the inside of the cardboard case.

NailbunnyPD on
    XBL: NailbunnyPD PSN: NailbunnyPD Origin: NailbunnyPD
    NintendoID: Nailbunny 3DS: 3909-8796-4685
    steam_sig-400.png
  • Options
    harvestharvest By birthright, a stupendous badass.Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    So guys, three hours in, I think I just got the (these are real spoilers by the way) [spoiler:dc193b1d1b]terrible ending[/spoiler:dc193b1d1b].

[realspoiler:dc193b1d1b]I fought the two girls you see in the intro movie, and kicked their asses. Their daddy swoops in, and warps out with them, destroying the castle. Game Over. Anyone else this far?[/realspoiler:dc193b1d1b]

harvest on
    B6yM5w2.gif
  • Options
    StigmaStigma Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Spoilers be damned, I need a general outline of what I need to think about to get the good endings.

Same with Dawn of Sorrow, are there multiple endings? What do I need to do to not fuck up?

Stigma on
    YHWHYinYangblueblackblueborder.jpg
  • Options
    JJJJ DailyStormer Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    YesNoMu wrote:
    JJ wrote:
    YesNoMu wrote:

awww
    That depends. Know anyplace I can upload a 104 MB file for free, preferably without signing up for anything?

Contact Kurt Kalata at the castlevania dungeon

http://castlevania.classicgaming.gamespy.com/dungeon.html

He has a fileplanet account which he uses to distribute other mp3s and such.

JJ on
  • Options
    ViolentChemistryViolentChemistry __BANNED USERS regular
    edited December 2006
    Stigma wrote:
    Spoilers be damned, I need a general outline of what I need to think about to get the good endings.

Same with Dawn of Sorrow, are there multiple endings? What do I need to do to not fuck up?
    Dawn of Sorrow the trick was pretty much "find Paranoia".

ViolentChemistry on
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    Wanderer wrote:
    No, but I assure you, it was not for a lack of trying.

Lynxara and I might do some strategy articles on Portrait once she can get her hands on a copy, though. I'm currently working on a walkthrough for the Nest of Evil, the optional dungeon.

I would love to have seen a portrait of ruin strategy guide from Double Jump

I have the Dawn of Sorrow Guide and it's amazing, I can just imagine what the Portait of Ruin guide would be like.

Lothars on