Options

[PbP On, OOC] Life After: WE ARE BACK! LOOK!

• Options
    INeedNoSaltINeedNoSalt with blood on my teeth Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    jdarksun wrote:
    Talonrazor wrote:
    And as a reminder, everyone is dressed in the PHOENICS jumpsuits. Unless, of course, you had changed previously.
    It was my intent for Dakin to change into fatigues (see quote below), but if I was too vague that's my problem. :)
    jdarksun wrote:
    "We're going to be all right, folks. Stay calm. Get cleaned up if you need to, get dressed, and get your things. Once we're armed and ready, we'll move out."

After he's offered the words of encouragement to the others, he returns to his tube and takes his own advice.

Will make an IC post when I get back from an errand.
    It's all up to you!

Do we shed PC blood before ever leaving the vault?

INeedNoSalt on
  • Options
    JacquesCousteauJacquesCousteau Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Good writing guys, it definetly feels tense on both ends. Just waiting for a response from my conversation partner so I can get on. :D

JacquesCousteau on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    PsychoLarry1PsychoLarry1 Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    It's going to be great when I get to start lecturing 8ft tall mutants on the intricacies of existentialism and Victorian england.

PsychoLarry1 on
  • Options
    ScooterScooter Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    It's going to be great when I get to start lecturing 8ft tall mutants on the intricacies of existentialism and Victorian england.

Heh, I gotta pull out a CoV reference, paraphrased...
    CoV Clue wrote:
    "I need to do my economics homework for Miss Huxley. She said I could get extra credit for it!"

The Freakshow's penmanship was impecable. And incredible.

Freakshow don't even have hands...

Scooter on
  • Options
    TalonrazorTalonrazor Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    I'll be posting mid-day tomorrow the GM post, wanting to give people a chance to get in and post.

If any more additional players join, they pretty much need to be another medical guy. I've got a feeling one medic just isn't going to cut it with this group. With this many people, there's a pretty good chance of two guys being hurt at the same time. Not to mention the ability to aid various communities.

Talonrazor on
    sig4.jpg
  • Options
    Anthrax! Please.Anthrax! Please. Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Warning, use of the name Matt will inevitably cause confusion, because we have both a Matthew and a Matthias.

You can refer to my character by his last name if that's easier.

Anthrax! Please. on
  • Options
    ThanatosThanatos Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Warning, use of the name Matt will inevitably cause confusion, because we have both a Matthew and a Matthias.

We'll just nickname you "Doc." :P

Thanatos on
  • Options
    Anthrax! Please.Anthrax! Please. Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Thanatos wrote:

We'll just nickname you "Doc." :P

I'll take it!

Anthrax! Please. on
  • Options
    GrimmyTOAGrimmyTOA Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    At some point we should pause and introduce ourselves, too. I currently have only "heard" one or two names, IC-wise.

Matthew is putting himself In Harm's Way. If Dakin is subjected to a melee or ranged attack, Matthew will take the hit.

GrimmyTOA on
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    It looks like you edited out the gear in our survival pack. I don't suppose you could edit that back in, as I have no idea what I have. And I stopped using colours since you guys are such whiners. :P

JacquesCousteau on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    All our equipment is on the wiki. Well, except for INNS and maybe a few others I didn't see lists for.

Scooter on
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    This game is going to need some serious information management and organization, since it's so large with so many interweaving characters. In this vein, I've completely overhauled the thread's OP and moved a lot of information over to the Wiki. I highly encourage everyone to use the Wiki as much as possible and to expand it the best you can. Over the next few days I'll see what I can do to make it a bit more functional. I've also revamped the thread's Roster. Now you can skim to very bottom and see which character is being played by who. Important links are now at the top and contain all the info you need. Be sure to check the OP and Wiki for important information.

I've decided that once the situation on the floor above is settled and work begins on getting the wounded out, I'll either time-jump to some kind of group meeting where everyone is oriented on the situation by the Survivors and meet each-other or a time-jump to after the team finishes exploring the bunker. Most likely we'll time-jump to some kind of group meeting/pow-wow/introduction stage then after that, time-jump to post-inventory. We'll see. I'm looking to time-jumping like Monday or Tuesday, we'll see how it goes.

Looking good so far people! Not sure if we'll end up sticking with the once-a-day schedule but you guys are rocking out so far.

Talonrazor on
    sig4.jpg
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    Some CoHifications:

Helen Clays
    helen.JPG

Michael King
    King3.JPG

Scooter on
  • Options
    Al BaronAl Baron Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Scooter wrote:
    Michael King
    *pic*

Is that an I8 emote?

Al Baron on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    Nah, older, at least I6 or so. It's ;research, and I think there's a ;researchlow for doing it kneeling.

Scooter on
  • Options
    Al BaronAl Baron Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Scooter wrote:
    Nah, older, at least I6 or so. It's ;research, and I think there's a ;researchlow for doing it kneeling.

Hm. Yeah, you're right.

BTW, Talon, you need to make the group(s) meet this SOB sometime down the road:

kenshiroxi5.jpg

Al Baron on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    Just announcing a Sense Motive roll made in the IC thread.

http://invisiblecastle.com/find.py?id=771201

GrimmyTOA on
  • Options
    PsychoLarry1PsychoLarry1 Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Susan B. Anthony? I'm 34 dammit! You'll pay for this Thanatos!
    Also, is Anax going to need to do another Treat Injury check soon? I'm not sure how much time we're considering has passed since the last one.

PsychoLarry1 on
  • Options
    Grid SystemGrid System Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Hey guys, I rolled up some stats on Invisible Castle. Hopefully I assigned them well. Let me know what you think about Phil.

To reiterate my goals, I want a tracker/survivalist type. High constitution seems to be a necessity for anyone living in this post-apocalyptic world. Also, if Phil is going to go the Tough Hero/Survivalist route (which seems most likely), then I guess constitution is important for that. Wisdom comes next because a tracker who can't make good spot and listen checks (for example) isn't going to be of much use. I took Talon's advice about skills to heart and gave the next highest score to intelligence. Now that I think about it, if I want Phil to be stealthy at all I should have made dexterity 13 and strength 12, but it's a bit late for that now. Oh well. In my defence I was thinking that Phil could be used as a secondary melee meatshield with her high constitution, so maybe I'll run with that. Charisma is more or less irrelevant since Phil doesn't much care for talking.

I've also decided I want a character born post-apocalypse - I'm thinking a year or two after the bombs fell. Still working out most of the other details, but I'm thinkling that Phil is a woman of about 25 who was raised by an old outdoorsman after her parents died (mother in childbirth, father of cancer a year or two later).

The real questions now are, of course, to do with classes, skills, and all that good stuff. One thing I've decided is that Phil is illiterate. She can speak english, but the old man who raised her never taught her to read or write; let's face it, after the end of civilization as we know it, who needs all that fancy book learnin' anyway? :P

So, thoughts?

Grid System on
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    So do we know that we woke up early? Judging by the last posts I'd assume so, but I'm not 100% sure.

JacquesCousteau on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    Jafar also just said that we probably don't know much of what's happened over the last 27 years, which (coupled with Shell's question about people entering the vault at an age of memory) is going to start twigging some brain cells fairly quickly.

At least, among those of the characters who heard the conversation.

GrimmyTOA on
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    Susan B. Anthony? I'm 34 dammit! You'll pay for this Thanatos!
    Hey, you're a nerdy-looking woman; I had to call you something. :P

Besides, there's a reason Harold is helping the Doc, while you're helping Crash. :winky:

On the year thing: one of Crash's first priorities, once we get the emergencies ironed out, is going to be establishing the date, probably by getting someone to do it via the computer. He has to know the date in order to navigate. I mean, compasses are nice and all, but if we actually want to know where we are, it's gotta be via celestial navigation, and for that, you need a date.

Thanatos on
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    GrimmyTOA wrote:
    Jafar also just said that we probably don't know much of what's happened over the last 27 years, which (coupled with Shell's question about people entering the vault at an age of memory) is going to start twigging some brain cells fairly quickly.

At least, among those of the characters who heard the conversation.

This is correct. Only those who are talking with the survivors have any clue it might be a bit early. Both Jafar and Shell lived pre-bomb era, so they are going to be dropping clues about the timeline. Feel free to have your characters, the ones talking to the Survivors, connect the dots according to their abilities Those down below would be thinking it's much later in the future then it is.

Keep in mind when writing your posts that the reason the entire program is having the teams emerge 100 years later is to give the Earth a chance to heal and stabilize. Projections showed that the first fifty years or so would be pretty rough, with soil drying up, massive clouds of acid rain moving about and the East Coast (and other large urban areas) still emitting radiation. So the fact that you are actually right in the middle of the worst post-nuclear conditions possible should be considered when having your characters realize all this.

For Grid System - It's looking like your character will fit in nicely. You can swap Dex and Str if you so desire. I think your concept will work great for the group; this will be the second Survival oriented character and the only one with Survivalist. This means you can provide help provide food. Scan through everyone's characters and get an idea of skills represented. Overall, she's looking good. Do you think you can have her done in a day or so? I'm thinking about getting you and Eela6 both in the bunker BEFORE the time-jump to facilitate building the group.

For anyone still thinking about playing in the game or building a character, the party could sure use another medical character.

Pyscho Larry - Every half-hour a check needs to be made, we aren't close to that yet.

I'll be getting a post up later tonight I think, after I get back from evening classes. We've still got a number of people needing to post.

Everyone, notice that I have Wiki Pages now linked for every character. Go over your own page (password: phoenics) and edit in the information you want. Bio, stats (or link to them), pics, family history, quotes, whatever you want.

Talonrazor on
    sig4.jpg
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    Phil

I've made some progress, but before I go any further, it'd be nice if somebody could look over what I've got so far and offer any suggestions, and point out my inevitable errors.

I'm not entirely happy with my feat selection and I get the feeling that I could have done better skills wise. More specifically, I'm not sure that I need quite so much in Concentration, and the Focused feat might not be entirely necessary.

Suggestions for mutations are also appreciated. I was thinking Radiation Resistance for 3 points, and Chameleon Skin and Direction Sense for 1 apiece.

Grid System on
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    Phil

I've made some progress, but before I go any further, it'd be nice if somebody could look over what I've got so far and offer any suggestions, and point out my inevitable errors.

I'm not entirely happy with my feat selection and I get the feeling that I could have done better skills wise. More specifically, I'm not sure that I need quite so much in Concentration, and the Focused feat might not be entirely necessary.

Suggestions for mutations are also appreciated. I was thinking Radiation Resistance for 3 points, and Chameleon Skin and Direction Sense for 1 apiece.

Can you pop on IRC at all, #bombfell? Could go over it there, otherwise I'm booking out in about an hour and will be back later tonight. I can go over it then and post some ideas.

Talonrazor on
    sig4.jpg
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    I'm on a uni computer right now, so IRC is unfortunately out.

I should probably eat something and try to finish my papers now anyway, so there's no particular rush.

Grid System on
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    I'm on a uni computer right now, so IRC is unfortunately out.

I should probably eat something and try to finish my papers now anyway, so there's no particular rush.

Haven't sat down and fully looked over it but at first glance it appears to be good. If you've got a name picked out and everything, I'll work you in with Eela6.

You two will be at the top of the tunnel as yet even more Survivors that joined Shell's wandering band. You'll head down the tunnel once you hear noises/see lights. Thus it gives you an excuse for being attached to other characters and appearing in the room at the same time. No one in Shell's party really gave out any concrete numbers of the group so it should flow well enough.

If I can, I'll try to work you in (if Eela6 is ready to enter) in tonight's GM post. If not, we'll work you guys in the post after.

Talonrazor on
    sig4.jpg
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    We've hit a bogging stage and thus I'm time-jumping the game for the good of the people. I'm moving you guys an hour or so into the future, where you'll see the bunker, meet the survivors, etc. I'll bring you guys to a large gathering where you figure out to do now while Shell tells you of the outside world. From that point on, you really begin as a group in a post-apoc world.

Talonrazor on
    sig4.jpg
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    Phil

Yeah, you shouldn't be using concentration really at all, unless you've got a good IC reason for it. Also, you don't seem to have an occupation (or, if you do, you haven't noted it). Since you're a survivor, it's going to depend on your character background (which you should give us some idea of; I know your numbers, I don't know what your character is though; what's her background, where did she learn what she knows, etc). You should probably dump Focused. Combat Martial Arts would be something good to take, since it would prevent you from taking attacks of opportunity when you fight unarmed. Streetfighting would also be good, if you planned to fight with, say, a knife.

From your basic description, I'd say Adventurer might be appropriate, as might Religious, Domestic, Bohemian, or Tribal (depending on what type of guy your mentor was, how he treated you, and what your character's outlook on life is). This will give you a couple of full-time class skills, along with maybe a feat. Hide and Move Silently, if you're going to take stealthy, would be good to get as full-time class skills. You definitely want to max out spot, because it's very useful in seeing some of the crazy post-apocalyptic weather patterns forming.

You also haven't chosen your Tough talents. I'd suggest either two energy resistance feats (acid, fire, and cold would all make sense, because of the rain and the elements), or Robust and Stamina (which would also make sense, because you're a badass). If you go with the resistances, I'd suggest putting your extra level 4 point in Constitution instead of Dexterity for the extra point of resistance.

Heh, I think that's about it. :P

Thanatos on
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    Well, I've time-jumped us, that bastard of a GM post is up. The name of this post is "In Which Plot Forwarding Speech 101 Is Given!". The length equals the goal I have for the length of posts that start the Acts. So enjoy the fucker. I know it's not perfect and I know the entire "suddenly there are two more survivors" really sucks ass but fuck it it's finals week and I've spent waaayy too much time getting that post ready to go. It's 1 AM over here and I've still got two reports due and a Biology final to cram for. On the plus side, I just finished the last English class I'll ever have to take for my degree. So that is pretty fucking awesome.

*ahem*

I wrote the post to be as vague as possible, you guys can fill in who did what and even put in some dialouge that leads up to the moment described in the post. The explict goal is to have your character interacting at that moment, however. Putting in thoughts of your character as you go about doing the stuff described in the time-jump is cool and awesome but don't hold a conversation that happened twenty minutes ago. The idea is directly after everyone came upstairs, everyone fractured and explored the bunker in a daze, gathering items. Some of the leader-types got everybody together, took inventory then kinda had a powwow where everyone did the "My name is Scooter and I'm addicted to furry catgirl porn" introduction shit. After that someone had Shell re-explain what he told the guys who were first talking to him at the top of the stairs.

So that's basically that. Now you guys can feel free to jump into discussion of "what the hell do we do now". Form a plan, get your shit organized and save the fucking world. Also, note that I probably will not have a post up either Tuesday or Wednesday due to finals but you can expect more badass posts Thursday.

For Dr. Galtar: It's been about three and a half hours, so Dacks needs to roll seven Treat Injury rolls accordingly. If he fails more then three, Galtar will require immediate surgery or die in twenty minutes. If he succeeds all checks, Galtar will live but will still require a blood transfusion within a day or die.

I am going to try and get this equipment list up without fucking up but I do not guarantee success. Scooter took 20 on a Search check and Charlie rolled also. For RIGHT NOW, I'm not dividing it up by personal finds. If 3lapwoa2903 and Scooter want to do that, then I can edit it later. For right now, this is all the shit you can find in the bunkers.
    4x M4A3 - from Ultramodern Firearms
    1x SOPMOD Kit - from Ultramodern Firearms
    6x MREs
    20lbs. of Preserved Food
    1x Medical Kit
    1x Surgery Kit
    6x 5gal. water cans
    1x Nuclear-Biological-Chemical (NBC) Suit
    1x Bolt Cutters
    2x 1qt. blood pack
    1x bottle of plasma
    4x batteries
    1x Disc Shooter
    2x Rock Launcher
    1x Ruger .22 bolt-action rifle
    1x 12gauge double-barreled shotgun
    136x 5.56mm bullets
    13x 12guage shells
    9x .22 bullets
    11x .22 casings
    3x 12gauge casings
    40x 5gal. jerry cans of fuel
    1x Survival Bag
    1x Duffel Bag
    1x Portable Stove
    1x 4-man tent
    Rope (300 ft.)
    2x Climbing Gear
    1x Search-and-rescue kit
    2x Flashlight (battery flood, w/battery)
    10x Chemical Sticks
    1x Binoculars (standard)
    2x Walkie-talkie (basic)
    4x Duct Tape
    2x Compass

I am in the process of creating a very basic map, it'll be a map that Shell gives you. You can use this map to chart additional places and record communities in whatever your quest ends up being (rebuilding America/forging an Empire/building a Nation of Sith Lords). When whoever the designated cartographer records a place IC, I'll update the map with the markings. I want you to chart it as you go, to shape the world with your own borders and features. It'll have places like the Republic of Texas, the Zones and the Kingdoms on there.

I'm getting pics and information for the rest of the vehicles, for right now here's a pic of the Desert Jeep, which is actually a Hummer in desert mode. The Hummer only has the .50 cal pictured, not the other machine guns. Of course, you don't actually have any .50 caliber bullets so...

hmmwv_05_m998a2_sov.jpg

Talonrazor on
    sig4.jpg
  • Options
    piLpiL Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Wondering how much of what Shell is saying is truth and how much is deception: http://invisiblecastle.com/find.py?id=773250

piL on
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    piL wrote:
    Wondering how much of what Shell is saying is truth and how much is deception: http://invisiblecastle.com/find.py?id=773250

I'm going to tell you here so you can work it into your post.

The results are positive, the guy's basically pouring out his "story" to yet another group of people. He's telling the truth, as much as he knows it.

Talonrazor on
    sig4.jpg
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    I've updated Phil's character sheet. Only thing left to do now is fill out the rest of her equipment.

Thanks to Thanatos for the advice.

Also note that I'm assuming pretty much all of the terrain we're going to encounter is desert, so the Naturalist (Desert) class feature should provide what is for all intents and purposes a permanent +2 bonus to the skills it modifies.

Grid System on
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    I've updated Phil's character sheet. Only thing left to do now is fill out the rest of her equipment.

Thanks to Thanatos for the advice.

Also note that I'm assuming pretty much all of the terrain we're going to encounter is desert, so the Naturalist (Desert) class feature should provide what is for all intents and purposes a permanent +2 bonus to the skills it modifies.
    Since you went with tribal, it gave you a bonus feat (you already have several of the ones it offers as possibilities), so you need to choose another feat.

You are also shorting yourself three skill points, two that you didn't distribute, and one because you get speak (English) for free.

I'd recommend going with spot as a permanent class skill instead of listen, and spending them there, because, like I said earlier, it'll let you warn our asses of acid rain and shit.

I'll look over it better in the morning.

Thanatos on
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    About skills, I thought I could only have a rank of 3 + character level, which should be 9. If I can put the extra three points into Spot than I will, but otherwise don't they need to go into a different skill?

Grid System on
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    About skills, I thought I could only have a rank of 3 + character level, which should be 9. If I can put the extra three points into Spot than I will, but otherwise don't they need to go into a different skill?
    I'd swear it was 6 when I looked at it. :P

Yeah, they do, though if Spot isn't one of your full-time class skills, they'll all have to go there, since Spot isn't a Survivalist class skill (which makes absolutely zero sense, but there you go).

EDIT: Nevermind, I see you made it your full-time class skill.

I would put the three in hide/move silently, then.

Thanatos on
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    Also, Grid, instead of Toughness, take Tough Plus out of the D20 Future book. It'll give you two talents from two separate trees, so you can either end up with DR 2/-, two energy resistances, one talent one energy resistance, or robust or second wind plus DR 1/- or an energy resistance. Way more worth it than three hit points.

Thanatos on
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    PMing might be a good idea. You could post that your character walked over to the target character (of the whisper) and mumbled something into his or her ear.

That is, if the whispered conversation takes place in front of people. That way everyone would (as in real life) know that there was a secret being passed around, but wouldn't be able to meta-game. Know what I mean?

Of course, secrets in a heavily armed and stressed group ought to lead to some entertainment if they go too far. Which is, I think, good. :D

GrimmyTOA on
  • Options
    3lwap03lwap0 Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Man, keeping track of all this stuff is gonna be hell.

Talon - I kind of did my search before even meeting the bunker crew - before I lump my stuff in with them, what did I find? Some I might want to keep for myself (namely just the shotgun shells -if I found them), but I don't intend to horde it all to myself.

3lwap0 on
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    3lwap0 wrote:
    Man, keeping track of all this stuff is gonna be hell.

Talon - I kind of did my search before even meeting the bunker crew - before I lump my stuff in with them, what did I find? Some I might want to keep for myself (namely just the shotgun shells -if I found them), but I don't intend to horde it all to myself.

I'll get to this in a bit. In addition, I'll be giving you a map of Nebraska that's marked with stuff you know, plus a background of the surrounding area. Wisdom that you may dole out as you see fit. I'm really running to get all this shit done before the semester wraps up so I can't promise anything for at least a day or two.

Grid System, Eela, I've got you both in the room so you can start participating if you wish. I'll be linking your Wiki pages and putting you in the roster tonight.

Talonrazor on
    sig4.jpg