As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Is WoW on iPhone a dangerous idea?

• Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    It's nopt actually running on the phone it's probably VNCing to their home machine

for socially based games like this I think most people would end up using this kind of feature for social interactions and guild stuff rather than raiding.

there's plenty of folks who use WoW for little more than a chat client.

nexuscrawler on
  • Options
    UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    It's nopt actually running on the phone it's probably VNCing to their home machine

for socially based games like this I think most people would end up using this kind of feature for social interactions and guild stuff rather than raiding.

If it's the one I'm thinking of, it's not VNC. Or if it is, its' running a totally custom interface that fits perfectly on the iphone's screen complete with touch keyboard support and pinch zooming.

UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    redraptorredraptor Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Obs wrote: »
    The bright colors, simple shapes, sounds for just about every action, constant communication, constant reward- all contribute to making WoW addictive as fuck. Just another slot machine made of incredible math.

This is clearly why everyone plays it. It also explains why the #1 selling iphone app is man jingling keys and cooing at you like you are a baby.

redraptor on
  • Options
    DjiemDjiem Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    redraptor wrote: »
    Obs wrote: »
    The bright colors, simple shapes, sounds for just about every action, constant communication, constant reward- all contribute to making WoW addictive as fuck. Just another slot machine made of incredible math.

This is clearly why everyone plays it. It also explains why the #1 selling iphone app is man jingling keys and cooing at you like you are a baby.

It's time to develop an iPhone app!

Djiem on
  • Options
    RoshinRoshin My backlog can be seen from space SwedenRegistered User regular
    edited April 2009
    davincie wrote: »
    I'm not sure how this will work, I mean I get laggy if I go into Dalaran with my pretty good pc, how will a Iphone handle it?

The battery would run out before you even noticed the lag.

Roshin on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    EvanderEvander Disappointed Father Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Personally I'd be happier to see people become addicted to WoW over more dangerous alternatives (alcohol, drugs, etc.).

Really?

Because the alcoholics I know are still fun at parties, but the WoW addicts I know never show up to parties, a raid or something always comes up last minute.

WoW addiction may not be as detrimental physically, but it definitely does ruin your life. Just because it's a video game doesn't make it "safe"

Evander on
  • Options
    Bryse EayoBryse Eayo Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Uh guys. I realize there's a discussion but I think this is an elaborate site whore for the really shitty comic in the OP.

Bryse Eayo on
  • Options
    slash000slash000 Registered User regular
    edited April 2009

If it's the one I'm thinking of, it's not VNC. Or if it is, its' running a totally custom interface that fits perfectly on the iphone's screen complete with touch keyboard support and pinch zooming.

Like the one linked here

slash000 on
  • Options
    BiosysBiosys Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Bryse Eayo wrote: »
    Uh guys. I realize there's a discussion but I think this is an elaborate site whore for the really shitty comic in the OP.

This discussion really should be about how fucking terrible that comic is.

I'd tell you to click on it, but that would give the author hits, and I don't want that.

Biosys on
  • Options
    F-Zero_RacerF-Zero_Racer Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Evander wrote: »
    Personally I'd be happier to see people become addicted to WoW over more dangerous alternatives (alcohol, drugs, etc.).

Really?

Because the alcoholics I know are still fun at parties, but the WoW addicts I know never show up to parties, a raid or something always comes up last minute.

WoW addiction may not be as detrimental physically, but it definitely does ruin your life. Just because it's a video game doesn't make it "safe"

The alcoholics I know are general assholes when drunk and tend to be people you want to get away from. On the other hand, the WoW addicts I know I still hang out with on a daily basis.

Your milage may vary.

F-Zero_Racer on
  • Options
    langfor6langfor6 Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    My step-grandmother's brother is a heroin addict. He's not allowed over their house any more because he stole a bunch of her jewelry one Christmas. He was also hitting on my mom, and my drunk cousin wanted to fight him.

langfor6 on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    langfor6 wrote: »
    My step-grandmother's brother is a heroin addict. He's not allowed over their house any more because he stole a bunch of her jewelry one Christmas. He was also hitting on my mom, and my drunk cousin wanted to fight him.

At least he's not a WoW addict.

EDIT: I wanted to not give the OP a hit, but I did click on the link. What a terrible comic. Good thing there's a little newspost below it to tell us what the joke actually is.

Djiem on
  • Options
    slash000slash000 Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    At least WoW addicts can't drive on the road while 'high on wow' and endanger other people the way drunk drivers do. 'Course, if they make WoW available on the iPhone, then maybe this will start to happen... dun dun dunnn!

slash000 on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    To be totally honest I actually love the comic a few clicks back about the dump stat

It's a shame that this person has some other unreasonable views but what are you going to do

UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Oddly enough, I think it makes total sense to make WoW available to the same people who would dump cash on trendyware like an iPhone. A market segment full of people who pay out the ass for an iPhone along with an overpriced data plan? And many of them are willing to throw money away every month on a game which goes nowhere and is specifically designed to just keep you playing forever without actually concluding anything and filled mostly with players who will never actually interact in the real world?

Sounds like a match made in corporate heaven to me.

On the upside, it would help consolidate two groups which I detest: people who buy iPhones instead of something useful and people who are so addicted to WoW that they can't even leave the house without wanting to play more. Then if I see someone playing WoW in public on an iPhone, I can skip straight from the "having an iPhone might not be a bad idea" perspective straight to the "not a bright person, avoid at all costs".

Ninja Snarl P on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Ninja Snarl is right, people who play WoW have no life and are not having fun. Also, owning an iPhone is wrong. Nothing sucks more than good-looking phone that uses the iPod system for MP3 and that can also connect to wireless networks.

I thought it wasn't cool anymore to shit on WoW and iPhone.

Djiem on
  • Options
    DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Djiem wrote: »
    Ninja Snarl is right, people who play WoW have no life and are not having fun. Also, owning an iPhone is wrong. Nothing sucks more than good-looking phone that uses the iPod system for MP3 and that can also connect to wireless networks.

This is the internet, it's always cool to shit on WoW and the iPhone.

Darmak on
    JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    BiosysBiosys Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Darmak wrote: »

Shit on anything you think is remotely popular, it's cooool.

Biosys on
  • Options
    ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited April 2009
    How someone with such an awesome avatar/note/location can be so wrong simply baffles me.

Forar on
    First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • Options
    urahonkyurahonky Resident FF7R hater Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Playing WoW on an iPhone would be fucking awful. Hell on my 19" screen it's hard enough to see the 100 icons that I need to hit in order to do an attack.

urahonky on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    urahonky wrote: »
    Playing WoW on an iPhone would be fucking awful. Hell on my 19" screen it's hard enough to see the 100 icons that I need to hit in order to do an attack.

ITT: we learn that Urahonky is a dirty, dirty clicker.

Forar on
  • Options
    langfor6langfor6 Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Darmak wrote: »

LOLSONY.

Now the trifecta is complete.

langfor6 on
  • Options
    urahonkyurahonky Resident FF7R hater Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Forar wrote: »
    urahonky wrote: »

ITT: we learn that Urahonky is a dirty, dirty clicker.

How else do you get the ones on the right side and the 2nd one from the top of the screen?

ALT + SHIFT + CTRL +1? Screw that. I'll click. :)

urahonky on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    >.>

<.<

I hotkeyed extensively, but yeah, there was plenty of shit that I only used out of combat or a few times per day/week that got clicked.

Forar on
  • Options
    DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    edited April 2009
    I always click, I'll be damned if I'm going to try and learn hotkeys, especially since I usually play in the dark and I can't see my keys. Also, I use the mouse to turn and look and the arrow keys to move so I'd have to stop running to do things.

I'm not even talking about WoW, I'm talking about EQ...

Darmak on
    JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    MinionOfCthulhuMinionOfCthulhu Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Man, that comic was awful.

MinionOfCthulhu on
    mgssig.jpg1152dt.gif
  • Options
    ArkanArkan Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    If anything this would be a boon for the stereotypical troglodytic WoW addict because it'd mean they'd be getting out of their dank, cavernous lairs more often.

Arkan on
    Big, honkin' pile of WoW characters
    I think it's hard for someone not to rage at mario kart, while shouting "Fuck you Donkey Kong. Whose dick did you suck to get all those red shells?"
  • Options
    SoaLSoaL fantastic Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Arkan wrote: »
    If anything this would be a boon for the stereotypical troglodytic WoW addict because it'd mean they'd be getting out of their dank, cavernous lairs more often.

trying to find good reception?

SoaL on
    DKFA7.gif
  • Options
    ArkanArkan Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Well if they're in their house, why would they be using the shitty iphone app to play? There'd be no reason to when their fully functional WoW-running computer is right there.

Arkan on
    Big, honkin' pile of WoW characters
    I think it's hard for someone not to rage at mario kart, while shouting "Fuck you Donkey Kong. Whose dick did you suck to get all those red shells?"
  • Options
    edited April 2009

Really?

The alcoholics I know are general assholes when drunk and tend to be people you want to get away from. On the other hand, the WoW addicts I know I still hang out with on a daily basis.

Your milage may vary.

Addiction doesn't mean just liking something a lot. If you're spending a lot of time hanging out with a WoW "addict" outside of the game world, then they aren't a real "addict".

It IS possible to be functional in a social gathering while drunk. It's not possible to be functional in a social gathering while playing WoW.

Evander on
  • Options
    ParadisoParadiso Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Only way this is dangerous is if people do this shit while driving. So help me, if I catch one of you raiding in traffic, there shall be a reckoning.

Paradiso on
  • Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Getting drunk once in a while with friends /= alcoholism

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    edited April 2009

Really?

Your milage may vary.

Addiction doesn't mean just liking something a lot. If you're spending a lot of time hanging out with a WoW "addict" outside of the game world, then they aren't a real "addict".

It IS possible to be functional in a social gathering while drunk. It's not possible to be functional in a social gathering while playing WoW.
    Considering WoW is a social gathering, this is a contradiction in terms. If you narrowly define social gathering to mean "drinking with some friends in close physical proximity" then of course in that situation drinking is more acceptable than using a computer.

My (real life) friends and I don't get together and get drunk. We play WoW together and use ventrilo, and it's hardly different from being in the same room playing a board game or something. Shooting the shit and doing whatever.

Also if by "WoW addict" you mean someone who doesn't hang out in the real world from time to time, then this heinous addiction is much less of a problem than is commonly thought.

UncleSporky on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Getting drunk once in a while with friends /= alcoholism

Absolutely.

The point is that alcoholism is not mutually exclusive from being sociable in the real world. A constant need to drink can be fulfilled without being by yourself in the basement. It's still not a GOOD thing, and will negatively impact your relationships, but it doesn't neccesarily cut you off from other people (unless you are ashamed and trying to hide it)

Evander on
  • Options
    donhonkdonhonk Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    You guys are getting way too serious about this, say I want to check auctions on the crapper? WHO ARE YOU TO STOP ME!!!!!!!!!!?!?!?!?!?

*sniffs crack*

donhonk on
  • Options
    DsmartDsmart Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Even so, it wouldn't be that bad for just running around killing enemies to level up. You probably just can't do big instances or raids with it.

"Forar, why is your DPS below half what it usually is, and why are you dying on every single trash pull? You don't usually die at all during this raid!"

"Oh, I don't have my usual mods, and my fps blows."

"... you're playing from your iphone again, aren't you?"

"yes"

Forar has been removed from the party.

this is disgusting

the language of the thing offends me personally. how I hate modern mmo's

Dsmart on
  • Options
    edited April 2009

Really?

Your milage may vary.

Considering WoW is a social gathering, this is a contradiction in terms. If you narrowly define social gathering to mean "drinking with some friends in close physical proximity" then of course in that situation drinking is more acceptable than using a computer.

My (real life) friends and I don't get together and get drunk. We play WoW together and use ventrilo, and it's hardly different from being in the same room playing a board game or something. Shooting the shit and doing whatever.

Also if by "WoW addict" you mean someone who doesn't hang out in the real world from time to time, then this heinous addiction is much less of a problem than is commonly thought.

Online socializing is no replacement for real world socializing. I don't have any data in front om to back that up, so rather than this devolving into a shouting match, I'm just going to assert that, and then agree to disagree, and walk away.

Evander on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    donhonk wrote: »
    You guys are getting way too serious about this, say I want to check auctions on the crapper? WHO ARE YOU TO STOP ME!!!!!!!!!!?!?!?!?!?

*sniffs crack*

THAT IS THE TIME TO BE CHECKING YOUR TWITTER!

Evander on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Dsmart wrote: »
    Even so, it wouldn't be that bad for just running around killing enemies to level up. You probably just can't do big instances or raids with it.

"Forar, why is your DPS below half what it usually is, and why are you dying on every single trash pull? You don't usually die at all during this raid!"

"Oh, I don't have my usual mods, and my fps blows."

"... you're playing from your iphone again, aren't you?"

"yes"

Forar has been removed from the party.

this is disgusting

the language of the thing offends me personally. how I hate modern mmo's

Your language offends me personally. No capitalization or punctuation, and an apostrophe as if MMO is possessive. How I hate forums.

UncleSporky on
  • Options
    DsmartDsmart Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Grammar bores me a lot less than WoW.

I should read up on it.

Dsmart on