Options

MOTW 4-29-09: Swine Flu free! Now with FCBDness!

• Options
    wirehead26wirehead26 Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Dark Avengers was great this week. I don't know how Deodato Jr. can draw it that well and keep up a monthly schedule. It proves that Ellis was the one who delayed Thunderbolts unless Deodato was sick or something. The Hickman and Remender Cabal stories were great as well.

wirehead26 on
    I'M NOT FINISHED WITH YOU!!!
  • Options
    TeaSpoonTeaSpoon Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Also, Madame Xanadu was very good this week too.

Words aren't enough to express the admiration I feel for the writer and the artist. Wagner managed to intertwine history and legend, both real and superhero mythology, into something that makes sense. Madame Xanadu herself has been remade into a full, complex character with interesting and believable motivations.

And the art is really, really good. We never see Xanadu in the same position twice. And it's the same with her expression, which changes subtly every panel. You can literally read her thoughts on her face. It's awesome.

I really hope this version of Madame Xanadu sticks around for a while.

TeaSpoon on
  • Options
    AlgertmanAlgertman Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Lo3W was wonderful. Was Hal Jordan's scene with the Big 7 JLA a teaser of what's to come with Johns?

Algertman on
  • Options
    Golden YakGolden Yak Burnished Bovine The sunny beaches of CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Dark Avengers was indeed great. That scene at the end? Awesome.

Golden Yak on
    H9f4bVe.png
  • Options
    WildcatWildcat Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Sharp101 wrote: »
    TexiKen wrote: »
    That reminds me, Apparently the Cabal One-Shot isn't that good. I picked it up, and the employee at my LCS who kind of knows what stories I like said it wasn't that great. Nothing important in it apparently, just a bunch of 5-6 pages stories.

Yeah, I was disappointed. The only good story was the first one about Doom.
    TC3.jpg
    How was the Namor story? That's really all I was planning to pick it up for.

Wildcat on
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited April 2009
    I can't stand Madame Xanadu, because I have always hated Nimue, and I think I might forever.

Fencingsax on
  • Options
    Sharp101Sharp101 TorontoRegistered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Wildcat wrote: »
    Sharp101 wrote: »
    That reminds me, Apparently the Cabal One-Shot isn't that good. I picked it up, and the employee at my LCS who kind of knows what stories I like said it wasn't that great. Nothing important in it apparently, just a bunch of 5-6 pages stories.

Yeah, I was disappointed. The only good story was the first one about Doom.
    TC3.jpg
    How was the Namor story? That's really all I was planning to pick it up for.

Eh. All it did was introduce a new Mutant Fish Man.

Sharp101 on
  • Options
    Diablo FettDiablo Fett Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    i was disappointed in Dark Avengers #4 because apparently Bendis doesn't know how dinosaurs work

Diablo Fett on
  • Options
    Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Yeah, I didn't get the presentation on time travel in DA at all.

Robos A Go Go on
  • Options
    KVWKVW Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    wirehead26 wrote: »
    Dark Avengers was great this week. I don't know how Deodato Jr. can draw it that well and keep up a monthly schedule. It proves that Ellis was the one who delayed Thunderbolts unless Deodato was sick or something. The Hickman and Remender Cabal stories were great as well.

We always knew it was Ellis. Deodoto even said he was waiting for pages and had to go out and get side jobs, like covers and one-shots, to fill in the time while he waited for more of Ellis' stuff.

KVW on
  • Options
    mattharvestmattharvest Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Yeah, I didn't get the presentation on time travel in DA at all.

Near as I can figure (and this is iffy): Doom has interacted with Morgana in the past, but the Morgana in this issue of DA comes from a time BEFORE some of those interactions, so if Doom killed her, it would create a paradox, but this doesn't jib with him sending her back to the dinosaurs.

I'm more concerned with the power of the Cube he used to restore his castle, since it seems way out of scale.

mattharvest on
  • Options
    KVWKVW Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    I thought it was just a time cube and he brought a castle back from just before it was destroyed (or some other random time).

KVW on
  • Options
    DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    edited April 2009
    KVW wrote: »
    wirehead26 wrote: »

We always knew it was Ellis. Deodoto even said he was waiting for pages and had to go out and get side jobs, like covers and one-shots, to fill in the time while he waited for more of Ellis' stuff.

Ellis did take the blame for a lot of his books being late. Something to do with hard drives failing.
    Black Summer was late twice because of printing errors, according to emails I exchanged with Avatar.

DouglasDanger on
  • Options
    Golden YakGolden Yak Burnished Bovine The sunny beaches of CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited April 2009
    i was disappointed in Dark Avengers #4 because apparently Bendis doesn't know how dinosaurs work

It's probably a reference to something.

Golden Yak on
    H9f4bVe.png
  • Options
    psycojesterpsycojester Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Maybe Doom does that to a lot of people?

"You have spilled the soup of Doom! FUCKING DINOSAURS FOR YOU!"

psycojester on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Anyone else read Wonder Woman this week? What did you think of the reveal that
    Genocide is dead Wonder Woman from the future, reanimated with hate and rage and brought back to the present to destroy the Amazons.

Lucascraft on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Lucascraft wrote: »
    Anyone else read Wonder Woman this week? What did you think of the reveal that
    Genocide is dead Wonder Woman from the future, reanimated with hate and rage and brought back to the present to destroy the Amazons.

Ha, seriously? That sounds awful.

Robos A Go Go on
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited April 2009
    I want to see where it goes, because Simone usually pulls something wonderful out at the end.

Fencingsax on
  • Options
    HankScorpioHankScorpio Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Everyone was throwing around theories in the Marvel Cosmos thread, maybe you remember it from there.

Just finished Runaways #9. Moore wrapped up his run, and while it wasn't great, it advanced the Staff of One plot and had just a nice little ending where Moore recognizes how Molly and Klara are some of the better new characters Marvel has created.

I agree about Runaways. The ending with Molly and Klara was perfect, and very sweet.

HankScorpio on
    Scorpiohank.png
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    I wish Moore's arc had started with something like the zombies. I think the relaunch would've been a bit more successful with the team tackling something new like that.

Robos A Go Go on
  • Options
    TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    The first arc had its hiccups because he was writing the first issue or two blind while waiting for Whedon to get his stuff done, so those issues really couldn't connect with anything. That's why Xavin was a guy for the first issue, not reflecting the switch in Whedon's arc.

But the first arc was weak in the latter half.

And Old Lace was totally absent from #9 too, now that I think of it.

Moore really only got 3 characters; Chase, Molly, and Klara.

TexiKen on
  • Options
    DelduwathDelduwath Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    I totally forgot: my Moment of the Week was seeing a (Ultimate) panda lay the smackdown on Ultimate Wolverine. Not gonna say that scene was worth the absurd delay or anything, but it was certainly a good scene.

Delduwath on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Here are the last two pages from Runaways #9, an awwwww moment:
    r9a.jpg

r9b.jpg

TexiKen on
  • Options
    TachTach Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Moment of the Weak: I forgot to pick up L3W yesterday, and made a reminider to go back for it today.

I just fucking spoilered it for myself.

God Dammit!

Tach on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Tach wrote: »
    Moment of the Weak: I forgot to pick up L3W yesterday, and made a reminider to go back for it today.

God Dammit!

No one's mentioned the shocking last-page surprise yet, you've still got that.

Not as good as the other surprise, though.

Golden Yak on
    H9f4bVe.png
  • Options
    VirralVirral Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Golden Yak wrote: »
    Tach wrote: »

God Dammit!

No one's mentioned the shocking last-page surprise yet, you've still got that.

Not as good as the other surprise, though.

You mean the bit at the end where we learn
    not to be like Tach and read spoilers for stuff we are planning on buying?

Virral on
    2vlp7o9.jpg
  • Options
    PookieMan357PookieMan357 Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    I've really, really enjoyed all of the Punisher Max stuff so far. I was a little nervous about the first non-Ennis trade, but you're right- it's damn good.

PookieMan357 on
  • Options
    ZaylenzZaylenz Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    TeaSpoon wrote: »

Words aren't enough to express the admiration I feel for the writer and the artist. Wagner managed to intertwine history and legend, both real and superhero mythology, into something that makes sense. Madame Xanadu herself has been remade into a full, complex character with interesting and believable motivations.

And the art is really, really good. We never see Xanadu in the same position twice. And it's the same with her expression, which changes subtly every panel. You can literally read her thoughts on her face. It's awesome.

I agree with you on Madame Xanadu, it's probably one of my favorite books at the moment. I do wonder where they're going to go from this point, as they only have so much history to jump forward through left. I'm curious how they'll handle the shop.

Zaylenz on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Zaylenz wrote: »
    TeaSpoon wrote: »

I agree with you on Madame Xanadu, it's probably one of my favorite books at the moment. I do wonder where they're going to go from this point, as they only have so much history to jump forward through left. I'm curious how they'll handle the shop.

Well, if they have another shadowpact miniseries, she'll probably be in it. And eventually, she's going to need Zatanna's help, or Traci's going to need her help or whatever, So she may appear in JLA or Titans. Although... It may be better if she doesn't.

Fencingsax on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    I think because she's now a Vertigo character she can't interact in the DCU, because Didio said so or something.

TexiKen on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    I think because she's now a Vertigo character she can't interact in the DCU, because Didio said so or something.
    I forgot about that.

Fencingsax on
  • Options
    HankScorpioHankScorpio Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Here are the last two pages from Runaways #9, an awwwww moment:
    r9a.jpg

r9b.jpg

Klara sitting with her legs pulled into her shirt is the cutest thing ever.

HankScorpio on
    Scorpiohank.png
  • Options
    edited May 2009

Not sure how well that holds considering the series has the Phantom Stranger as it's other star and Zatara just featured in the last two issues. Also not like Zatanna's a stranger to Vertigo either. I wouldn't be surprised to have a bunch of the magic users from DC show up in one form or another eventually. They've already mentioned Etrigan and have had Spectre show up for example.

Zaylenz on
  • Options
    CrimsondudeCrimsondude Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Oh. So that's where DC's magical characters went after Reign in Hell.

Crimsondude on
  • Options
    FaynorFaynor Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Speaking of Magic, has there been any more word on that magic centric Marvel event/story thing they were planning that was mentioned a while back by Bendis?

Faynor on
    do you wanna see me eat a hotdog
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    DnA mentioned that there's a reason why Adam Warlock is magical now and that it ties into that event, but that's the last I've read about it.

Crimsondude on
  • Options
    DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Scalped vol 4 arrived today.

First chapter consists of Dash and what'shername banging like 3 times and her doing drugs three or four times. Yay noir comix.
    (tattoo'd boobs are not my thing)

DouglasDanger on
  • Options
    VirralVirral Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    DnA mentioned that there's a reason why Adam Warlock is magical now and that it ties into that event, but that's the last I've read about it.

<3<3<3 Adam Warlock has always been magical <3<3<3

Virral on
    2vlp7o9.jpg
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Oh. So that's where DC's magical characters went after Reign in Hell.

Yeah, even Death of the Endless showed up in one issue and was her usual perky goth self.

Zaylenz on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Virral wrote: »

<3<3<3 Adam Warlock has always been magical <3<3<3

Die in a fire.

And your little genetic experiment, too.

Crimsondude on