As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

"We have a new era in boxing"

Dangerou-DaveDangerou-Dave __BANNED USERS regular
edited May 2009 in Social Entropy++
Well, that's what was said after Mike Tyson, at age 20, defeated Trevor Berbick to win the heavyweight title 23 years ago. I forgot how amazingly hard Tyson used to hit. I'm not sure if I'd survive even one of those swings.

"Tyson's punches even sound different from other heavyweights.":

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_MY3RtJUrD8

So anyway, this is a thread more specifically about the documentary, "Tyson." It's received an 88% at Rotten Tomatoes and looks damn good. Anyone see it yet? I'm still trying to find time to go.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gJ9-rCyakME

Dangerou-Dave on

• Options
    scarlet st.scarlet st. Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    pacquiao on Friday :o

scarlet st. on
    japsig.jpg
  • Options
    HighfireHighfire Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Everybody get your earmuffs.

Highfire on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    pacquiao on Friday :o

I'll probably go to a bar to watch it for free. It's going to be swell.

Dangerou-Dave on
  • Options
    Penguin IncarnatePenguin Incarnate King of Kafiristan Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    More like Raping Bull.

Penguin Incarnate on
  • Options
    DefenderDefender Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    It's a shame that Tyson went from someone with so much promise to such depths of failure. Fuck you, Don King.

Defender on
  • Options
    RinderRinder Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    What a wasted talent. He had good boxing fundementals back when he was younger.
    The death of Cus D'Amato and then the firing of Kevin Rooney were the death knell for Tyson.
    A shame at how sloppy his boxing became and with no guiding mentor his personal life fell apart.

Rinder on
  • Options
    Metzger MeisterMetzger Meister It Gets Worse before it gets any better.Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Don King really is just a fucking scumbag.

Metzger Meister on
  • Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Defender wrote: »
    It's a shame that Tyson went from someone with so much promise to such depths of failure. Fuck you, Don King.

I read an interview about Tyson a few months back. It's really interesting how jaded he has become to the sport, and he seems to put most of it squarely on Don King.

Blake T on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Tyson did an hour-long interview with Adam Corolla and seemed to have grown up quite a bit. He seemed genuinely interested in his kids, and leaving a lot of that past stuff behind. His talk reminded of those sort of adult epiphanies you have around your early twenties, only twenty years late.

Dangerou-Dave on
  • Options
    GravesGraves Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Don King kills motherfuckers who fuck with him.

Graves on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Tyson did an hour-long interview with Adam Corolla and seemed to have grown up quite a bit. He seemed genuinely interested in his kids, and leaving a lot of that past stuff behind. His talk reminded of those sort of adult epiphanies you have around your early twenties, only twenty years late.
    And with rape.

Penguin Incarnate on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    And with rape.

That's just Tyson being Tyson

Dangerou-Dave on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    GQ had a really good review on this film that's worth checking out.

Huh. This is a quick aside, but apparently T4 is doing TV adds now. Good to know.

Penguin Incarnate on
  • Options
    TheRealBadgerTheRealBadger Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Hmmm.

Well, in other news this man:

pic11.jpg

... is set to make his debut on the undercard of Anthony Mundine's title fight May 27. Should be interesting

TheRealBadger on
  • Options
    The EverymanThe Everyman Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    This dude comes up on the Nevada Sex Offender Registry within two miles from my house.

The Everyman on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Yeah, you're definitely gonna get sex offended by Mike Tyson.

Penguin Incarnate on
  • Options
    The EverymanThe Everyman Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Sex offended right in face

with a boxing glove.

The Everyman on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Ugh, I remember that Lewis shit... Tyson has a long way to go to convince me he's a better man.

Henroid on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    I am torn. I want to see this movie, but I don't want to give a scum bag like Mike Tyson my money.

Penguin Incarnate on
  • Options
    TonkkaTonkka Some one in the club tonight Has stolen my ideas.Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    I have heard that this is a good documentary.

I might go see it if someone promises me explosions.

Tonkka on
    Steam: evilumpire Battle.net: T0NKKA#1588 PS4: T_0_N_N_K_A Twitter Art blog/Portfolio! Twitch?! HEY SATAN Shirts and such
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Only emotional ones.

Penguin Incarnate on
  • Options
    TonkkaTonkka Some one in the club tonight Has stolen my ideas.Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Shit. Those are the crappy tear explosions.

Tonkka on
    Steam: evilumpire Battle.net: T0NKKA#1588 PS4: T_0_N_N_K_A Twitter Art blog/Portfolio! Twitch?! HEY SATAN Shirts and such
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    I know how you feel. They promised me the same kind of explosions with The Joy Luck Club. The worst of it is, it totally worked. Family is so important, guys.

Penguin Incarnate on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Family.

Tonkka on
  • Options
    Mister LongbaughMister Longbaugh Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    i just watched a clip of the lennox/tyson knockout with japanese commentators. it was pretty hilarious

Mister Longbaugh on
  • Options
    GodfatherGodfather Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Can someone summarize the story behind Tyson and all the hatred?

I never bothered to look up the details, I was just taught that he was scum from the get go.

Godfather on
  • Options
    redfenixredfenix Aka'd as rfix Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Godfather wrote: »

I never bothered to look up the details, I was just taught that he was scum from the get go.

http://tinyurl.com/djdr5q

redfenix on
  • Options
    lostwordslostwords Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    pacquio fight is gonna be awesome doggies

lostwords on
    rat.jpg tumbler? steam/ps3 thingie: lostwords Amazon Wishlist!
  • Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited April 2009
    I'm looking very forward to this movie. I used to love watching Mike Tyson fight when I was a kid. Heavyweights don't fight like that anymore. If Cuss D'amato hadn't died and been able to keep Tyson under control he would have gone down as the best ever.

Raijin Quickfoot on
  • Options
    GodfatherGodfather Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    redfenix wrote: »
    Godfather wrote: »

http://tinyurl.com/djdr5q

heheheheh

dang

Godfather on
  • Options
    wusoldjrwusoldjr Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Great career ruined by a bullshit rape charge. All the shenanigans after prison were his own fault, but prison will fuck you up. Doesn't matter who you are.

and this
    If Cuss D'amato hadn't died and been able to keep Tyson under control he would have gone down as the best ever.

wusoldjr on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    um

bullshit charge

since when?

redfenix on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    this isn't another 'rape isnt painful' thing, is it?

redfenix on
  • Options
    wusoldjrwusoldjr Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    redfenix wrote: »
    um

bullshit charge

since when?

Lots of details didn't jive with her story, Desiree Washington. I'm not really going to look it all up now, but there was definitely a shadow of a doubt. This was pretty much a make up call for the domestic violence issues with Robin Givens.

wusoldjr on
  • Options
    AirAir Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    "ill fuck you til you love me"

classic

Air on
    darjeelingshortsig95.jpg
  • Options
    Vargas PrimeVargas Prime King of Nothing Just a ShowRegistered User regular
    edited April 2009
    I was already interested in seeing this, but I heard a really great interview with James Toback last week and now I'm really eager to watch it.

Toback knows Tyson really well, and the film sounds like it's a real no-filter look at him as a person, with none of the prejudices that might come from passing knowledge of his antics over the years.

Vargas Prime on
  • Options
    eryu90eryu90 Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    pacquio fight is going to awesome, also the Fight Night demo goes live day of the fight.

eryu90 on
  • Options
    TreelootTreeloot Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Don King really is just a fucking scumbag.

Are there any boxing promoters who aren't assholes that cheat their fighters?

Treeloot on
  • Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited April 2009
    eryu90 wrote: »
    pacquio fight is going to awesome, also the Fight Night demo goes live day of the fight.

I'm so fucking pumped for Fight Night. It took them too damn long to come out with a sequel. It better be revolutionary.

Raijin Quickfoot on