Options

Sell me on a PS3

• Options
    KetarKetar Come on upstairs we're having a partyRegistered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Cpunk wrote: »
    It sounds like you really want a PS3 but the price is a bit much for you and you are trying to find any way to rationalize it so you can buy it without regret.

Personally, if I had a 360 and wanted a Blu-Ray player, I'd buy a BR player. If I didn't have a 360 then I would buy a PS3.

It's kind of the opposite really. It seems pretty logical, it's basically subsidized $250 by my Blu-Ray player fund, but I'm just not that jazzed about it. I just don't want to regret not spending $150 to get the PS3 if something comes out for it that blows me away.

And Valkyria Chronicles, that's what I meant.

I'd be hard-pressed to come up with exclusives I love beyond what has been listed already, but there are some very compelling titles up there already. Valkyria Chronicles is so good that it deserves all the publicity it can get, prompting me to use a sig picture for the first time on any board I've ever posted on. Little Big Planet. MGS4. Warhawk feels a little older by now but still provides plenty of crazy, great multi-player moments for me. For as much as I love something like COD4, it doesn't have anything as great to razz friends about later as shooting their plane out of the sky with your tank's cannon. Uncharted. Shooters like Killzone 2 and Resistance 2 are not quite the platform sellers many had hoped for, but they are good games and highly worthwhile for anyone who does get a PS3. And while I haven't imported Hakuna Matata yet, even my wife has given her approval to do so once I work through my current glut of games a bit.

I haven't picked up a game for the 360 that wasn't an exclusive since buying my PS3 in October of 2007. The PS3 is much quieter, which I love, and I don't worry that it might red ring on me at any given moment. I give something up in the way of a smaller multi-player community, but even though much smaller there's really never been a shortage of players/maps/whatever for me to play with/choose from in any game that I have played online.

Ketar on
  • Options
    urahonkyurahonky Resident FF7R hater Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Yeah please don't think I"m saying the PS3 is bad, because it's not. I love it. It's just hard to recommend to people WITH a 360 AND a Wii. Far too much overlap.

Plus with TVersity the 360 can play just about any movie and you can stream movies/music from your computer to it.

urahonky on
  • Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    urahonky wrote: »
    Yeah please don't think I"m saying the PS3 is bad, because it's not. I love it. It's just hard to recommend to people WITH a 360 AND a Wii. Far too much overlap.

Do what I did when I had the 360 and Wii! Once you get the PS3, sell your 360. :P

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    CpunkCpunk Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Yeah Last Remnant red-ringed my 360 a couple of days ago, and I'd think about selling whatever MS sent be back, but I have all my Rock Band DLC and Bioware (integrated graphics laptop).

Anybody have/use the remote? Oddly that being sexy (i.ie not the xXbox remote) would be helpful for my rationalization.

Cpunk on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    urahonky wrote: »

Do what I did when I had the 360 and Wii! Once you get the PS3, sell your 360. :P

I'm a sucker for consoles so I can never, ever recommend selling a console unless someone's being a douche about it. (I know there's a guy here who only posts in the Wii threads about how much he hates the console, yet he keeps it) :P

urahonky on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    My PS3 didn't come with a remote. I bet it's a separate accessory like the PS2/Xbox remote.

urahonky on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    It is.

But honestly, unless the PS3 controller really inconveniences you, it's not worth it.

I bought it so I wouldn't have to manually turn my controller on and off while watching TV shows on DVD and wanted to skip credits and such.

Then like, the next day they announced the auto-off feature for the controller.

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    ZerokkuZerokku Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    cloudeagle wrote: »
    There's some good PS3 exclusives, but there's just so damn much overlap between that system and the 360 (an overlap that shows absolutely no sign of abating) that I wouldn't buy a PS3 unless you're absolutely, positively enchanted by at least three or four of the exclusives.

And yes, I'd say the same thing if you owned a PS3 and were thinking of buying a 360.

This is really the best advice in the thread. There's such an overlap that like cloudeagle stated, Unless theres a few exclusives that you simply must have, theres no need for both. Judging by the fact you're even making this thread, I'd guess that isn't the case.

I was in the same boat, but when FFXIII got announced for the 360, I really had no reason to get a PS3 after that.

Zerokku on
  • Options
    klokklok Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    I didn't want to make a new topic so hopefully it's cool if I just ask this here. I was thinking about trading in my 360 for a ps3, I definitely want a ps3 but I'm not sure if the trade in credit I got for my 360 and the few games I have for it would be worth it. I also checked the gamestop website and apparently they have a ps2 trade in deal, ps2 + 3 games gets you 100 bucks off the purchase of a ps3.

So does anyone know the average trade in value of a 360? I read that the 80gb ps3 can play a majority of psx/2 games so would the ps2 deal be a good idea?

klok on
  • Options
    ZerokkuZerokku Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    klok wrote: »
    I didn't want to make a new topic so hopefully it's cool if I just ask this here. I was thinking about trading in my 360 for a ps3, I definitely want a ps3 but I'm not sure if the trade in credit I got for my 360 and the few games I have for it would be worth it. I also checked the gamestop website and apparently they have a ps2 trade in deal, ps2 + 3 games gets you 100 bucks off the purchase of a ps3.

So does anyone know the average trade in value of a 360? I read that the 80gb ps3 can play a majority of psx/2 games so would the ps2 deal be a good idea?

There are currently no new PS3's on the market that can play PS2 games, unless you somehow find the now incredibly rare MGS4 Bundle PS3. I think the trade in value for a 360 for the system itself is about 80, not counting hard drive. (If I'm not mistaken theres a couple bonuses like +$20 on a system trade in, and +30% on regular items right now, though your store may vary.)

The PS2 --> PS3 deal is actually one of the best deals they have ever had. You could buy a used PS2 and 3 cheapo games, trade them in towards the PS3 and end up saving money.

Zerokku on
  • Options
    langfor6langfor6 Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    There are actually quite a bit of exclusives out there right now, so really your best bet is to investigate those.

I'm not a big online gamer, but I like knowing that if I want to play online it's free. I've messed around with GTA4 online, and play SF IV regularly online.

Which reminds me, if you want to play SF IV and don't want a stick, the PS3 controller is better than the 360. I don't know if that's enough to merit a purchase, but it's something to think about.

langfor6 on
  • Options
    solsovlysolsovly Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    LewieP wrote: »
    Team ICO

I think we have a winner.

Once they have an actual game out, then you can list this as a reason to buy a PS3 now.

solsovly on
  • Options
    CpunkCpunk Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    The whole point is I want to avoid buying a Blu-ray player if I'm going to want a PS3 in the next year and a half. So future titles totally count. If I get the player I'm pretty much committing to not getting PlayStation this gen.

Valkyria Chronicles, LBP, and Hakuna Matata all seem like games I would snatch up the day I got a PS3, and Versus and Team ICO's offering might make me end up getting one eventually anyways. I hadn't thought of those.

And thanks for the Dell.com tips, if I can get it for around $350 I can't afford not to. God damn it.

Advice for a new owner would be cool too. What else do I need in terms of headsets, cables, whathaveyou?

Again, really awesome responses from everyone, thank you.

Cpunk on
  • Options
    ReznikReznik Registered User regular
    edited April 2009

Advice for a new owner would be cool too. What else do I need in terms of headsets, cables, whathaveyou?

If you have an HDTV, get HDMI cables obviously. If you play a lot of multiplayer you should pick up a bluetooth headset. There's one that came with Warhawk, a Metal Gear Solid 4 one, and then a bunch of regular ones. I can't recommend one specifically because I don't do online very much, so I just plug in a webcam and use it as a mic.

A USB keyboard would be handy for text chat. Uhh.... PSEye if you plan on playing Eye of Judgement I guess. The memory card adapter if you want to transfer your saves from your memory cards to your hdd (but you should probably just borrow this from someone if you can since it's kind of a one time thing).

Other than that I can't think of much else. The only extra thing I bought when I got my 60gig was another controller.

Reznik on
    Do... Re.... Mi... Ti... La...
    Do... Re... Mi... So... Fa.... Do... Re.... Do...
    Forget it...
  • Options
    edited April 2009

Any bluetooth headset will work with the PS3; I use a Samsung model I bought from Amazon for around $25. As far as cables, you will need 1 HDMI cable, and that should be it. Looks like there's an Amazon vendor selling 6 ft HDMI for fifty cents plus $2.98 shipping right now, with a 4.5 star average on 1,763 reviews, heh.

Other than that? I did buy the DVD/VCR type remote and like having it, though you can get by just fine using a controller. That's pretty much it - everything else for me has been BDs and games.

Oh, and an exclusive I didn't really think about before - SingStar. If you enjoy karaoke at all, and especially if you have friends who would enjoy it, it makes a great combo with Rock Band/GH for a party night. And since it isn't instrument based at all it ends being a big hit with my wife's friends because the music available is generally more to their tastes.

Ketar on
  • Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Keep in mind that if you want Hakuna Matata/Afrika/whatever they're calling that photo game, you'll have to import it since it's not getting a European/American release.

cloudeagle on
    Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    HalibutHalibut Passion Fish Swimming in obscurity.Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    solsovly wrote: »
    Team ICO

Once they have an actual game out, then you can list this as a reason to buy a PS3 now.
    Maybe for you that is a true statement. For me (and others, I imagine), the thought of the next Team ICO game alone is a reason big enough to justify a PS3.

Halibut on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Halibut wrote: »
    solsovly wrote: »
    Team ICO

Maybe for you that is a true statement. For me (and others, I imagine), the thought of the next Team ICO game alone is a reason big enough to justify a PS3.

I really hope they don't end up releasing a game just so all the people who bought a PS3 because of the thought of a game that may, or may not, suck and may, or may not, come out. Or something.

urahonky on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    cloudeagle wrote: »
    Keep in mind that if you want Hakuna Matata/Afrika/whatever they're calling that photo game, you'll have to import it since it's not getting a European/American release.

It was announced that National Geographic would be publishing it in North America, but this was announced back in November and haven't heard a word of it since. Still, I wouldn't discount it just yet. And either way, it's super-easy to import the game (and actually costs less than a $60 game over here!). I should be getting my copy sometime in the following week.

I hope your guys' faith in FFXIII on 360 is rewarded. I mean, for all the talk of PS3 ports performing a little more rough when compared to their 360 counterpart, I have to wonder if the reverse will be true for XIII. Last Remnant performed like absolute shit on 360, so I guess we'll see.

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Fuck you honky.

Whatever "point" it proves, wishing that we don't get a new Team Ico game is fucked up.

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Fuck you honky.

Whatever "point" it proves, wishing that we don't get a new Team Ico game is fucked up.

It's kinda like FFXIII, I know plenty of people that bought the PS3 because they knew they'd be able to play FF games on it... Then it was announced multiplatform. Bricks were shat.

I'd actually laugh if the next Team Ico game comes out for the PS4 or the PSP.

urahonky on
  • Options
    RentRent I'm always right Fuckin' deal with itRegistered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Fuck you honky.

Woah woah woah woah woah
    Calm the fuck down, dude
    He's saying that he doesn't want team ICO to rush a game just for the sake of the PS3 owners who bought a PS3 just to play a team ICO game
    That is all he is saying

Rent on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    There was no real legitimate reason for FFXIII fans to get pissed. They still have the lead console that it was developed for.

I liken this to people who got all pissy about RE4 coming to PS2. I bought a GameCube for RE4, but I didn't mind because

1) It was a great game and reaching a broader base
    2) The game had more extras on PS2 but performed much better on GC, providing me with
    3) Reasons to buy both.

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Rent wrote: »
    Fuck you honky.

Woah woah woah woah woah
    Calm the fuck down, dude
    He's saying that he doesn't want team ICO to rush a game just for the sake of the PS3 owners who bought a PS3 just to play a team ICO game
    That is all he is saying

No it wasn't. Methinks you got confused.

Read it again, and also his response post.

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Yeah I mean we know they're making a game. I just think it's pretty stupid to buy a console just because a game MIGHT be coming out on it. Hell you don't even know if it'd be any good if/when it comes out, but that alone is enough to sell you on a $400 console?

I wish I had that kinda money. :-/

urahonky on
  • Options
    EvanderEvander Disappointed Father Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Fuck you honky.

Supid, maybe, but "fucked up"?

Are you afraid that honky has magic powers, and his wishes are always granted?

Evander on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    No.

No one game is enough to sell me on a $400 console before it releases.

Though if the game came out and were good enough, it could certainly do just that. I bought a Wii just for Super Mario Galaxy.

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    If my wishes were granted, we wouldn't be worrying about this swine flu bullshit, we'd be amidst a zombie apocalypse. :(

urahonky on
  • Options
    DarkWarriorDarkWarrior __BANNED USERS regular
    edited April 2009
    :( I to dream of the days of zombie flu where I shall reign as King Skull, lord of all I see, and the corner store.

DarkWarrior on
  • Options
    LawndartLawndart Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    So I'm getting an HDTV as a present, but don't have cable or blu-ray. I've got a Wii and a 360 but that's about all the HD content I'll be seeing. I looked into a stand alone blu-ray player but decent ones go for ~250. Way I see it, I can get a $400 PS3 for a hundred and fifty bucks.

If you're already looking to get a Blu-Ray player and you have the extra $150 or so, I'd say splurge on the PS3. It's no longer the cheapest BR player out there, but from the reviews I've read it's a better BR player than the cheaper models and is much easier to update.

Plus, it plays PS3 games. The PS3 game lineup may not seem worth spending $400 to play, but again, since you're in the market for a BR player already, you're not spending the cash just for the games. Your mileage may vary, but the PS3's current lineup is already worth an extra $150 to me.
    How is it as a blu-ray player? Is the remote classy? Could I possibly pass it off as just a movie player to ignorant family, or does AWSOMESTATION blink in blue lights on the front?

I haven't done a head-to-head comparison (since I'm not rich enough to own both a PS3 and a stand-alone BR player), but I've yet to read a review that faults the PS3's BR playback. And damn, it looks pretty. So, so pretty.

The used PS3 I bought came with a third party Nyko remote that's about the size of a cigarette pack, and does what it's supposed to do. I didn't want to futz around with trying to use the PS3 controller as a remote, but I guess it's an optional purchase.

Oh, and passing off the PS3 is a Blu-Ray player is how I got my notoriously anti-gaming wife to let me buy one, so I doubt you'll run into fiercer resistance unless your family is Amish. It's a big honkin' console, but it's not any more garish than a 360.

Also, make sure you get a HDMI cable (and don't spend a fortune on one).

Lawndart on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Yes, he's correct.

If you get the PS3 and have an HD setup, you need need need an HDMI cable.

It's cool, they're like under $2 on amazon.com and monoprice.com

Also you should pick one up for your 360 as well, if you don't have one currently.

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    I hope your guys' faith in FFXIII on 360 is rewarded. I mean, for all the talk of PS3 ports performing a little more rough when compared to their 360 counterpart, I have to wonder if the reverse will be true for XIII. Last Remnant performed like absolute shit on 360, so I guess we'll see.

Not to mention it's designed to work optimally on a PS3 first, and pushes it to it's limits according to Square. You'd kind of hope that they don't have to do too much when porting it to the 360 aside from the 15 DVD's it's going to be on.

-Loki- on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Yes, he's correct.

If you get the PS3 and have an HD setup, you need need need an HDMI cable.

It's cool, they're like under $2 on amazon.com and monoprice.com

Also you should pick one up for your 360 as well, if you don't have one currently.

Assuming he has a newer 360, that has an HDMI port... Mine certainly doesn't.

Ketar on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    No.

No one game is enough to sell me on a $400 console before it releases.

Though if the game came out and were good enough, it could certainly do just that. I bought a Wii just for Super Mario Galaxy.

I bought my PS3 for flOw

no regrets

Evander on
  • Options
    rvrv Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    I don't know if it's been addressed yet, but I had read an article a few weeks back on the BBC that referenced some patented technology for Blu-ray reaching the end of it's exclusivity period for the company that filed it in November of this year, which should make the overall price of Blu-ray players drop dramatically around Christmas time. I'll see if I can fish up the article in an edit.

EDIT: I couldn't find anything with a quick search of the few sites I read, so maybe I'm completely incorrect. That's how I remember it though.

rv on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    rv wrote: »
    I don't know if it's been addressed yet, but I had read an article a few weeks back on the BBC that referenced some patented technology for Blu-ray reaching the end of it's exclusivity period for the company that filed it in November of this year, which should make the overall price of Blu-ray players drop dramatically around Christmas time. I'll see if I can fish up the article in an edit.

Even if true, it doesn't mean that prices WILL drop, it just means that prices COULD drop.

Prices will only drop if one company chooses to be the first to drop them. Otherwise, they will all decide to simply accept the extra profit bump.

Evander on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    For the record I use my memory card adapter all the time. The PS3 is hooked up to my HDTV, which is also the TV my wife and son watch primarily. I have my old PS2 hooked up in the bedroom, and there have been plenty of times where I've grabbed a save file off of the PS3 to go play in the other room.

For me it was a great purchase, but if you're in a situation where you'll only use it once, just buy it and return it. That's actually what I did before the firmware update that allowed two way transfers, so then I had to go out and buy it again.

langfor6 on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    oh, they allow two way transfers now?

that's pretty neat. no use for it (never owned a PS2, that's why getting a BC PS3 was so important to me) but it was one of those things that seemed like a real oversight.

Evander on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    I want to say it was patched in over a year ago. I've been using for what seems like forever. I suppose I could not be lazy and look up the firmware update.

langfor6 on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    eh, all I know is that it was one-way as of early February last year. (Yes, I owned a PS2 memory card, but no PS2. I had like two games that I would play on friends' machines.)

Evander on