Options

Sell me on a PS3

CpunkCpunk Registered User regular
edited May 2009 in Games and Technology
So I'm getting an HDTV as a present, but don't have cable or blu-ray. I've got a Wii and a 360 but that's about all the HD content I'll be seeing. I looked into a stand alone blu-ray player but decent ones go for ~250. Way I see it, I can get a $400 PS3 for a hundred and fifty bucks.

But I already have two systems and am not super stoked about having a third on the shelf.

If FFXIII were exclusive it would be a no-brainer, but other than that, I don't really know what's good for the PS3 that I can't already play on my systems. I've never actually even seen one up close.

So:

How is it as a blu-ray player? Is the remote classy? Could I possibly pass it off as just a movie player to ignorant family, or does AWSOMESTATION blink in blue lights on the front?

I hear Vagrant Story and LBP are good (amazing?). I would be seriously stoked for GT5 if I ever thought it was going to come out. Hakuna Matata sounds like my kind of party if I could get my hands on it. What am I missing?

Sell me on another goddamn video game system PA.

Cpunk on

• Options
    NailbunnyPDNailbunnyPD Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    PS3 can be had through Dell for less than $350 on a regular basis (though not right now.) Dell basically provided the price cut that Sony did not.

I paid $320, and while it lacks backward compatibility, I can live with that. Maybe I'll trade up if they ever come out with a new version with BC.

PS3 for $350 from Home Depot?

MGS4 bundle (with BC?) for $500 at Amazon

NailbunnyPD on
    XBL: NailbunnyPD PSN: NailbunnyPD Origin: NailbunnyPD
    NintendoID: Nailbunny 3DS: 3909-8796-4685
    steam_sig-400.png
  • Options
    No Great NameNo Great Name FRAUD DETECTED Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    No.

No Great Name on
    PSN: NoGreatName Steam:SirToons Twitch: SirToons
    sirtoons.png
  • Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited April 2009
    If you're mostly into RPGs, you'd be wasting your money on a PS3.

Just get a PS2, which has all you could ever want. Vagrant Story's a PS1 game.

All the PS3 has is Disgaea 3 and Folklore, and neither are quite traditional.

Oh, and the Valkyria Chronicles game, which is reportedly awesome.

But that's just one game.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    ZombiemamboZombiemambo Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    It's got electrolytes

but seriously

it's got the most powerful hardware of the three latest consoles on the market, and it's also the cheapest Blu-Ray player you can buy.

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
  • Options
    DashuiDashui Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    It's one of the best, if not the best, Blu-ray players. And don't let anyone tell you HD videos aren't worth it. Sit down with Planet Earth in HD and your eyes will thank you.

Noteworthy exclusives
    Out now:

Uncharted
    Folklore (RPG)
    LittleBigPlanet
    Metal Gear Solid 4
    Valkyria Chronicles (RPG)
    Ratchet & Clank Future
    Hakuna Matata (Import)
    Aquanaut's Holiday (Import)
    Demon's Souls (Import) (RPG)
    Warhawk
    Killzone 2
    Resistance
    Resistance 2
    The Eye of Judgment
    Disgaea 3 (RPG)

To Be Released:

Final Fantasy Versus 13 (RPG)
    Uncharted 2
    White Knight Chronicles (RPG)
    inFamous
    End of Eternity (RPG)
    God of War 3
    Heavy Rain
    Gran Turismo 5
    Atelier Rorona: Alchemist of Alando (RPG)
    Ratchet & Clank: A Crack in Time
    Shin Megami Tensei (RPG)

Am I missing anything? I don't think that's a bad list of exclusives. And speaking of Final Fantasy Versus 13, I'm looking forward to that more than the other 13 title. I didn't list any PSN exclusives either, like Flower, but there are numerous ones there, too.

Dashui on
    Xbox Live, PSN & Origin: Vacorsis 3DS: 2638-0037-166
  • Options
    UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    It sounds like you really want a PS3 but the price is a bit much for you and you are trying to find any way to rationalize it so you can buy it without regret.

Personally, if I had a 360 and wanted a Blu-Ray player, I'd buy a BR player. If I didn't have a 360 then I would buy a PS3.
    It's got electrolytes

but seriously

it's got the most powerful hardware of the three latest consoles on the market, and it's also the cheapest Blu-Ray player you can buy.

This has been incorrect for a long time now.

UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    BigDesBigDes Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    It's got electrolytes

but seriously

Not anymore.

BigDes on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    SixSix Caches Tweets in the mainframe cyberhex Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    It's got electrolytes

but seriously

It was for a long time, but not any more.

It's still a very good br player, but it's not the cheapest.

Six on
    can you feel the struggle within?
  • Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Dashui wrote: »
    It's one of the best, if not the best, Blu-ray players. And don't let anyone tell you HD videos aren't worth it. Sit down with Planet Earth in HD and your eyes will thank you.

Noteworthy exclusives
    Out now:

Uncharted
    Folklore (RPG)
    LittleBigPlanet
    Metal Gear Solid 4
    Ratchet & Clank Future
    Hakuna Matata (Import)
    Warhawk
    Killzone 2

To Be Released:

Uncharted 2
    inFamous
    End of Eternity (RPG)
    God of War 3

Am I missing anything?

Disgaea 3.

It kind of boggles my mind that so few PS3 owners own that game when there's so little out there.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    In fact if a PC-based drive is good enough, you can get them for as low as $80.

Of course OP is looking for one to go with his TV, the lowest you can probably find for that is $200-$250.

EDIT: $150 BR player. $170 BR player.

UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    NailbunnyPDNailbunnyPD Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    cj iwakura wrote: »

Noteworthy exclusives
    Out now:

Uncharted
    Folklore (RPG)
    LittleBigPlanet
    Metal Gear Solid 4
    Ratchet & Clank Future
    Hakuna Matata (Import)
    Warhawk
    Killzone 2

To Be Released:

Uncharted 2
    inFamous
    End of Eternity (RPG)
    God of War 3

Am I missing anything?

Disgaea 3.

It kind of boggles my mind that so few PS3 owners own that game when there's so little out there.

Because they are still playing iterations of Disgaea 1?

NailbunnyPD on
    XBL: NailbunnyPD PSN: NailbunnyPD Origin: NailbunnyPD
    NintendoID: Nailbunny 3DS: 3909-8796-4685
    steam_sig-400.png
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    I updated that list with more titles than what you just quoted, too, cj iawkura, but I'll add Disgaea 3 on there now!

Dashui on
  • Options
    corin7corin7 San Diego, CARegistered User regular
    edited April 2009
    There really are like a dozen exclusives that make it worth owning if you are a gamer and want a Blu-Ray player. The 360 is my platform of choice this gen. I have 2 360s and around 60 games for it compared to only like 10 for the PS3 but goddamn if I don't love that black console. Dashui covered most of the good disc based games but psn has some silly good content on it too like wipeout, super stardust, everyday shooter, flower, and the pixel junk games.

I think you would be silly to not buy one if you have the cash for it.

corin7 on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    cj iwakura wrote: »

Noteworthy exclusives
    Out now:

Uncharted
    Folklore (RPG)
    LittleBigPlanet
    Metal Gear Solid 4
    Ratchet & Clank Future
    Hakuna Matata (Import)
    Warhawk
    Killzone 2

To Be Released:

Uncharted 2
    inFamous
    End of Eternity (RPG)
    God of War 3

Am I missing anything?

Disgaea 3.

Because they are still playing iterations of Disgaea 1?

Good point. Disgaea 1's got more replayability crammed into it than most games released nowadays.

The PS3 one must be ridiculous.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    edited April 2009

No it's not. It's not at all.

Anyways, cool stuff you'll be missing out on if you don't get a PS3 (games out now or eventually):

Afrika (Hakuna Matata)
    Aquanaut's Holiday
    Demon's Souls
    Disgaea 3
    Final Fantasy Versus XIII
    Folklore
    God of War III
    Gran Turismo 5 (eventually)
    Gran Turismo 5 Prologue for now
    Heavenly Sword
    Heavy Rain
    Infamous
    Katamari Forever
    Killzone 2
    LittleBigPlanet
    Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots
    MotorStorm: Pacific Rift
    Ninja Gaiden Sigma 2
    Quantum Theory
    Ratchet and Clank Future: Tools of Destruction
    Ratchet and Clank Future: A Crack in Time
    Resistance 2
    Twisted Metal
    Uncharted: Drake's Fortune
    Uncharted 2: Among Thieves
    Valkyria Chronicles
    White Knight Chronicles

The bolded ones are RPGs or have RPG elements.

Also, you'll be missing some cool downloadable games:

Crash Commando
    Echocrome
    Flower
    Noby Noby Boy
    PixelJunk Eden
    PixelJunk Monsters
    Ratchet and Clank: Quest for Booty
    Super Stardust HD
    Wipeout HD

Finally, there are some PS1 games available for download as well, though the selection isn't really that abundant. We do have Suikoden 1, however, which is nice.

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    RentRent I'm always right Fuckin' deal with itRegistered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Valkyria Chronicles
    Valkyria Chronicles is worth buying a PS3 for
    It is the best JRPG of this generation (Even objectively; it has the highest rating on Metacritic out of all JRPGs)

Rent on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Stop quoting my outdated list, dammit! In any case, there are plenty of PS3 exclusives out now or coming out soon that should be more than enough to warrant your consideration.

Dashui on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    It sounds like you really want a PS3 but the price is a bit much for you and you are trying to find any way to rationalize it so you can buy it without regret.

Personally, if I had a 360 and wanted a Blu-Ray player, I'd buy a BR player. If I didn't have a 360 then I would buy a PS3.

It's kind of the opposite really. It seems pretty logical, it's basically subsidized $250 by my Blu-Ray player fund, but I'm just not that jazzed about it. I just don't want to regret not spending $150 to get the PS3 if something comes out for it that blows me away.

And Valkyria Chronicles, that's what I meant.

EDIT: Wow thanks for all the quick responses.

And as per the sub $200 players, I keep reading about them not playing some Fox disks, taking 45 seconds to load the movie, etc. I want something that's going to last me until UV ray or whatever.

Cpunk on
  • Options
    ArtereisArtereis Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Definitely keep an eye on Dell.com if you want a PS3. Cheapassgamer.com tends to have their deals listed pretty quickly.

Artereis on
  • Options
    chrono_travellerchrono_traveller Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Stop quoting my outdated list, dammit! In any case, there are plenty of PS3 exclusives out now or coming out soon that should be more than enough to warrant your consideration.

He's already considering it. I think thats why he posted this thread. :P

chrono_traveller on
    The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it. ~ Terry Pratchett
  • Options
    ThreepioThreepio New Westminster, BCRegistered User regular
    edited April 2009

Of course OP is looking for one to go with his TV, the lowest you can probably find for that is $200-$250.

STOP. BD was an unfinished format when it launched. Neither of these players support the final format referred to as "BD Live".

BD Live requires 1GB of onboard storage + networking (wired or wireless) in order to access online content. If you're not looking to hamstring your BD experience, spend the money and get a BD Live compatible player or a PS3. The PS3 remains the best investment for most people looking for a Blu-ray player due to its inherent flexibility.

Threepio on
    142.jpg
  • Options
    urahonkyurahonky Resident FF7R hater Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    I'd say hold off. I read somewhere that Samsung is supposed to be putting a ~$100 Bluray player this holiday. If so I'd just pick that up.

I own all three consoles, and if you're just looking to get a Bluray player I don't think the PS3 is going to be the answer. Just pick a BR player this holiday and you'll be fine.

urahonky on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Threepio wrote: »

STOP. BD was an unfinished format when it launched. Neither of these players support the final format referred to as "BD Live".

BD Live requires 1GB of onboard storage + networking (wired or wireless) in order to access online content. If you're not looking to hamstring your BD experience, spend the money and get a BD Live compatible player or a PS3. The PS3 remains the best investment for most people looking for a Blu-ray player due to its inherent flexibility.

I own a ton of Blurays and have never ONCE used this feature.

urahonky on
  • Options
    LewiePLewieP Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Team ICO

LewieP on
  • Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Neither have I, but it doesn't mean others won't.

Hell, I rarely even watch special features, but I wouldn't support removing those from DVDs/Blu-rays.

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    SAW776SAW776 Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Yeah.. what exactly does BD Live do? I've never been gutsy enough to click okay..because I don't want to get dumped into a chatroom or something stupid while watching the movie.

SAW776 on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    PSN: SAW776
  • Options
    edited April 2009

Hell, I rarely even watch special features, but I wouldn't support removing those from DVDs/Blu-rays.

Still, saying that it hamstrings it because they don't play it seems a little... Over zealous. If I were looking into watching HD movies I'd only be worried about getting the best price and quality ratio.

urahonky on
  • Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    There's some good PS3 exclusives, but there's just so damn much overlap between that system and the 360 (an overlap that shows absolutely no sign of abating) that I wouldn't buy a PS3 unless you're absolutely, positively enchanted by at least three or four of the exclusives.

And yes, I'd say the same thing if you owned a PS3 and were thinking of buying a 360.

cloudeagle on
    Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    ReznikReznik Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    If you can speak moon language, you should import Yakuza 3. Because if it's anything like Yakuza 2, it is completely awesome and will take 8 million years to be localized and released in North America.

Other awesome points about the PS3 (since pretty much all the best games have been mentioned already)

-You can swap out the hard drive with ease, replacing it with any 2.5 inch hard drive you want
    -It is excellent for streaming media
    -PSN is free
    -The controllers keep their charge really well, and are super quick to recharge, and can also be used with your PC if you download a driver on account of they plug in with USB
    -It's a future proof Blu-ray player since it can download updates (I don't know how big of an issue this is nowadays, but I remember when BR players first came out some specs weren't finalized or something so now some old players are obsolete)
    -It's super quiet
    -Very reliable hardware

And.... well seriously, pick up Valkyria Chronicles and Uncharted and Ratchet

Reznik on
    Do... Re.... Mi... Ti... La...
    Do... Re... Mi... So... Fa.... Do... Re.... Do...
    Forget it...
  • Options
    chrono_travellerchrono_traveller Registered User regular
    edited April 2009

I think the point is that, even while urahonky has the ability to use those features, he doesn't use them, and, in the words of Threepio, doesn't feel his "BD experience is hamstrung".

Side question: What the hell does BD standfor? Blue Disc? I've never seen it referred to by that acronym.

chrono_traveller on
    The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it. ~ Terry Pratchett
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Maybe wait a bit though, I bet there will be a major price drop before Christmas.

LewieP on
  • Options
    ReznikReznik Registered User regular
    edited April 2009

Side question: What the hell does BD standfor? Blue Disc? I've never seen it referred to by that acronym.

Blu-ray Disc.

I guess with the hyphen, Blu-ray is supposed to be one word. I always go BR though.

Reznik on
    Do... Re.... Mi... Ti... La...
    Do... Re... Mi... So... Fa.... Do... Re.... Do...
    Forget it...
  • Options
    greeblegreeble Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Why you want a ps3.

As you said its not much more $$ than a good blu-ray player and some of those cheap ones take a real long time to load.

Good media player. (photos, mp3/aac, divx .vob blu-ray either local or streamed via UPNP)
    Valkyria Chronicles
    Pixel Junk (Monsters, Eden, new game)
    Uncharted 1/2
    Killzone 2
    Resistance 2
    White Knight Chronicles
    Demon's Souls (import)
    MGS IV

There is other stuff too like Rachet and Clank and neat PSN titles like, Comet Crash/Savage Moon, Fat Princess, Crash Commando, The Last Guy, Flower, Everyday Shooter/Super Star Dust etc.

greeble on
    PSN/steam/battle.net: greeble XBL: GreebleX

Let me tell you about Demon's Souls....
    I’ll tell you what happens in Demon’s Souls when you die. You come back as a ghost with your health capped at half. And when you keep on dying, the alignment of the world turns black and the enemies get harder. That’s right, when you fail in this game, it gets harder. Why? Because fuck you is why.
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    LewieP wrote: »
    Maybe wait a bit though, I bet there will be a major price drop before Christmas.

Given that the high execs at Sony are violently concentrated on having each PS3 sold make a profit at any cost, I wouldn't count on that.

Edit: Didn't White Knight Chronicles come out in Japan to a resounding "meh?"

cloudeagle on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Team ICO

I think we have a winner.

Cpunk on
  • Options
    Captain ElevenCaptain Eleven The last card is a kronk Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    I have a sub-$200 Blu-Ray player and it works just fine. Loading times are maybe a tiny bit long, but not so long they become an annoyance. And I've never once felt the urge to use BD Live or whatever the heck the online part is.

That being said, if you want a Blu-Ray player AND there are PS3 exclusives out now or in the near future that interest you, get the PS3. If not, don't waste the cash and get a Blu-Ray player.

Captain Eleven on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Surely they must be starting to get some serious cost cutting going on in production now though?

LewieP on
  • Options
    RainbowDespairRainbowDespair Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    As an owner of a 360 & Wii, these are games I'd like to get if I ever buy a PS3, listed in relative order of importance from greatest desire to least (but still want)

Siren: New Translation
    Demon's Souls
    Valkyria Chronicles
    Pixeljunk games
    SuperStarDust HD
    Flower
    LittleBig Planet
    Wipeout HD
    Uncharted
    Ratchet & Clank
    Folklore

My main problem is the price. It's hard to justify a $400 console when I have enough trouble keeping up with games on my current consoles. Plus, I'd want high definition and I don't think my current setup would work with that (I have my 360 hooked up to a monitor) so I'd have to buy an HDTV which would jack prices up further.

Chances are, I'll just pick up a PS3 near the beginning of the next console generation when they're cheap & the games are easy to find in bargain bins.

RainbowDespair on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Surely they must be starting to get some serious cost cutting going on in production now though?

Honestly? Not really. Component costs haven't dropped as quickly as they anticipated, and the PS3 is allegedly just now reaching the break-even point.

cloudeagle on
  • Options
    DarkSymphonyDarkSymphony Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    PS3 is the shit and is in much better standing than it was 2 years ago. It's the expensive system this gen (which sucks), but all the sony IP's are proving awesome (minus a couple) as well as it being a really awesome media center.

I'd say get it if you really like metal gear, gran turismo, god of war, killzone 2, the naughty dog games...etc. Basically, it's all about the first party stuff for me (whereas I do love all the good 3rd party stuff, being that you have a 360 it's irrelevant in "selling" you a ps3).

MGS4 ended up being amazing and tied the story off very well
    Killzone 2 is the shit, multiplayer is awesome and the single player was very well done
    Motorstorm games are a lot of fun if you like racing games
    Uncharted and the 2 ratchet games so far are great

also, the exclusive PSN games are usually outstanding. Flower, flOw, Crash Commandos, Burn Zombie Burn, Super Stardust HD, Pixel Junk Monsters, Pixel Junk Eden, WipEout HD, The Last Guy are all really really good.

free online play (not as robust as Live)

It's definitely my system of choice and I have all 3 (of which I'm going to be selling off the 360 and the Wii). I *never* use my 360 and rarely use the Wii (albeit a lot more now that I have MadWorld which is fucking awesome).

DarkSymphony on