As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Obsolete Fallout thread - go to the new one!

• Options
    DarkWarriorDarkWarrior __BANNED USERS regular
    edited May 2009
    Aegeri wrote: »
    Pony wrote: »
    uh is there a list of the level 20+ perks somewhere or what

i am curious

Lv. 22:
    Deep Sleep - Get the well rested bonus in any bed
    Puppies! - new Dogmeat everytime he dies
    Quantum Chemist - Every 10 Nuka colas you acquire are automatically converted into a Quantum

Lv. 24
    Devils Highway - Karma is instantly set to Very Evil
    Escalator to Heaven - Karma to Very Good
    Karmic Rebalance - Karma to Neutral
    No Weakness - All SPECIAL stats less than 5 become 5

Lv. 26
    Nerves of steel - Faster AP regen
    Rad tolerance - no effects from minor rad poisoning
    Warmonger - All custom weapon schematics added to your inventory

Lv. 28
    Party Boy - No alcohol withdrawal
    Rad Absorption - Rad level decreases automatically over time

Lv. 30
    Almost Perfect - All SPECIAL stats become 9 (Not sure if this will lower your 10's?)
    Nuclear Anamoly - At 20 HP or less you explode and do insane damage to everything around you, including your allies

Most of those seems pretty uninteresting.

Yeah, most of those perks suck pretty badly. There are a couple of good ones, but to be honest there is nothing in there that excites me much. Rad Absorption is decent, but I would want it at a much lower level than 28 to be honest.

Those are pretty terrible and dont even make a lot of sense. Did most of the perks in the vanilla game have non-personal effects like these do? Karma reallignments? Adding custom schematics to your inventory? What kind of perks are these? Theyre just cheats.

DarkWarrior on
  • Options
    deowolfdeowolf is allowed to do that. Traffic.Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Duffel wrote: »
    deowolf wrote: »
    I was really hoping they'd have achievements other than 'get to level 30 with _______ karma'. It's kind of disappointing.

Especially since they just added perks that allow you to save your game right before Level 30, take the Good Karma perk, reload, take the Neutral Karma perk, reload and take the Evil Karma perk.

If you're going to half-ass it, you might as well go all out and really half-ass it.

Oh, so that's your plan too?

Good to know.

Any word on some of those other miniquests that might have snuck in? Say in Megaton or Rivet City?

deowolf on
    [SIGPIC]acocoSig.jpg[/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    Darth NathanDarth Nathan Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Ok, for PC users, if you've already bought Broken Steel, go to your GFWL file history and re-download it, cancel the existing download if it's still on the retry/cancel install dialogue. The new download will be the fixed version. However, since the thing isn't on the Marketplace again yet, this fix will only work for people who've already bought the thing, unless you feel like paying 2,000,000,000 MS points for it.

Darth Nathan on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    CarcharodontosaurusCarcharodontosaurus Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Ok, for PC users, if you've already bought Broken Steel, go to your GFWL file history and re-download it, cancel the existing download if it's still on the retry/cancel install dialogue. The new download will be the fixed version. However, since the thing isn't on the Marketplace again yet, this fix will only work for people who've already bought the thing, unless you feel like paying 2,000,000,000 MS points for it.

Really? :D How do you know? Has there been an announcement?

Carcharodontosaurus on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited May 2009

Really? :D How do you know? Has there been an announcement?

According to the Fallout wiki, it's the only known work-around. I'm not saying it's gonna work, I'm only trying it cause I have a 200 gig data cap and I don't really care how much I download. I'll let everyone know if it works.

Darth Nathan on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    edited May 2009
    SkutSkut wrote: »
    It works automatically, look at the food stats with and without it.

Oh, I thought it was supposed to clean the food of rads entirely

Well what the fuck am I doing lugging around all this Abraxo cleaner? Jeez

Olivaw on
    signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
  • Options
    Sick MuseSick Muse __BANNED USERS regular
    edited May 2009
    hyperpower wrote: »
    BlackDove wrote: »
    I just finished The Shitt. Crappy expansion is crappy, a little better than Anchorage. Steel Ingot fetch questing is not my kind of thing. I'm not a fucking dog.

God I hope they at least do SOMETHING to move the main story forward, even a bit in Broken Steel.

Precisely why I hated the Pitt.

The Pitt was not what I was expecting. The end is a bit more morally grey but still, no major different result for either path much like everything in the game. I was expecting a series of intense fights with lots of dialogue outside as I rise up the ranks of the Pitt as a slave and earn the ire of the leader who pushes the advantages towards my opponents and then I break out and save the day. Instead I just collect bits of metal and fight a few fights that are over in 5 minutes total.

It's Bethseda. This should kind of be expected by now.

Sick Muse on
    einvolk.gif
  • Options
    DarkWarriorDarkWarrior __BANNED USERS regular
    edited May 2009
    Sick Muse wrote: »
    hyperpower wrote: »
    BlackDove wrote: »
    I just finished The Shitt. Crappy expansion is crappy, a little better than Anchorage. Steel Ingot fetch questing is not my kind of thing. I'm not a fucking dog.

God I hope they at least do SOMETHING to move the main story forward, even a bit in Broken Steel.

Precisely why I hated the Pitt.

The Pitt was not what I was expecting. The end is a bit more morally grey but still, no major different result for either path much like everything in the game. I was expecting a series of intense fights with lots of dialogue outside as I rise up the ranks of the Pitt as a slave and earn the ire of the leader who pushes the advantages towards my opponents and then I break out and save the day. Instead I just collect bits of metal and fight a few fights that are over in 5 minutes total.

It's Bethseda. This should kind of be expected by now.

Oh I know but still, I keep thinking that after all the attempts they will finally get it right.

DarkWarrior on
  • Options
    SkutSkutSkutSkut Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Olivaw wrote: »
    SkutSkut wrote: »
    It works automatically, look at the food stats with and without it.

Oh, I thought it was supposed to clean the food of rads entirely

Well what the fuck am I doing lugging around all this Abraxo cleaner? Jeez

I dunno, save it though, put it in your house it's needed for nuka grenades.

SkutSkut on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Here's a question: is there a mod that makes shit rarer?

Because when I'm going through a ruined house and I find shit in it, my first instinct is to take all of it. This is a post-apocalyptic wasteland, I'm gonna need it to survive, you know? But I can't, because there's too much of it and I'm already decked out in armor and I have like nine other suits for different situations and over a dozen weapons for various situations and ammo out the fucking wazoo, so what do I need with it?

I mean I appreciate it and all, since it constantly rewards you in the beginning, but after a while it just don't feel right. There's gotta be a mod out there that makes the world feel a little harder to live in, something I can use for another playthrough

Olivaw on
    signature-deffo.jpg
  • Options
    CastigadorCastigador Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    You've got FWE. It makes everything harder to get, from caps to food to stimpaks. I do think there's a standalone version of that part of that mod, so if you don't want the whole FWE you can get the parts you want.

And hey, is the 1.5 Fallout patch do anything for VATS? or should we still stick to 1.04 and Fake Patch?

Castigador on
  • Options
    KrathoonKrathoon Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    I like how they say nothing about the problem on their main site. Corporations always turn a blind eye to their mistakes.

Krathoon on
  • Options
    DoronronDoronron Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Lv. 22:
    Deep Sleep - Rarely ever sleep.
    Puppies! - Dogmeat breaks my sneaking.
    Quantum Chemist - Got by just fine without Quantum Grenades

Lv. 24
    Devils Highway - Don't care about achievements
    Escalator to Heaven - Don't care about achievements
    Karmic Rebalance - Don't care about achievements
    No Weakness - Might actually be useful.

Lv. 26
    Nerves of steel - Grim Reaper's Step makes this redundant
    Rad tolerance - Radiation isn't a threat.
    Warmonger - Custom weapons are a novelty. I found it easier to headshot deathclaws with Lincoln's Repeater and kill them rather than cripple them and piss them off

Lv. 28
    Party Boy - Just see the damn doctor and pay the caps.
    Rad Absorption - Radiation isn't a threat.

Lv. 30
    Almost Perfect - (Not sure if this will lower your 10's?). Many stats were 10 by level 20, anyway, and I don't know if it's worth avoiding stat bobbleheads just for this.
    Nuclear Anamoly - Looks like fun, but only comes into play if you gimp your character enough to regularly hit 20 or less HPs around level 30.

I can think of a few older perks that'd been better candidates.

I'll play for the new crap anyway, though. Wonder what Point Look is about?

Doronron on
  • Options
    RubberACRubberAC Sidney BC!Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    I wish they'd make radiation more of an issue in this game
    I shouldn't be able to take a swim through an irradiated lake, then chug a few gulps of it and not even be affected by it

RubberAC on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    It would've been easy to add in with one of the DLCs, just make the water do something similar to the area just outside 87 (probably not as extreme), and make the NPCs immune to it so Megaton's not a ghost town the second time you enter.

Doronron on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    I just made a simple mod that, among other things, triples the radiation you get from water while also tripling the effects of radiation poisoning. Does the trick nicely. Oh, it also makes Radaway and Rad-X much more expensive, so it's harder to get rid of your radiation as well.

Carcharodontosaurus on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    I don't have a computer that'd do PC Fallout 3 properly. Just the 360 version here.

Doronron on
  • Options
    edited May 2009

Ok, quoting myself cause this actually works and I'm too lazy to retype it.

Darth Nathan on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    DuffelDuffel jacobkosh Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Well, quantum chemist would actually be an awesome perk for an explosives character, since Nuka-Colas are pretty common when you search random containers.

Duffel on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Well, quantum chemist would actually be an awesome perk for an explosives character, since Nuka-Colas are pretty common when you search random containers.

As a way to supply quantum grenades, that's it's primary purpose, but I've found regular frags kill normal things just as dead, and against behemoths, you're better off with a nuke launcher or the alien blaster, anyway.

Doronron on
  • Options
    Funguy McAidsFunguy McAids Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Here's a question: is there a mod that makes shit rarer?

Because when I'm going through a ruined house and I find shit in it, my first instinct is to take all of it. This is a post-apocalyptic wasteland, I'm gonna need it to survive, you know? But I can't, because there's too much of it and I'm already decked out in armor and I have like nine other suits for different situations and over a dozen weapons for various situations and ammo out the fucking wazoo, so what do I need with it?

I mean I appreciate it and all, since it constantly rewards you in the beginning, but after a while it just don't feel right. There's gotta be a mod out there that makes the world feel a little harder to live in, something I can use for another playthrough

I have a mod that does just this to ammo. Pretty much perfectly makes me run out of ammo types and have to alternate weapons from time to time. Also made being high charisma with barter skill useful because it helped me afford to buy ammo I normally wouldn't have via scavenging.

When I get home i'll figure out which of my hundred mods it is if you'd like.

Funguy McAids on
  • Options
    SorensonSorenson Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Even then you'll still have to do a shit-ton of scrounging, though, and the rarity of the stuff combined with having to swap 30 quantums for one of the schematics always just put me the hell off it. Having the perk be that you could simply use a regular NC in the place of a quantum would made it a lot more enticing.

And Jesus Christ all this shit you people're talking about's making me glad I'm waiting for a box set with all the expansions to come out. Yeesh.

EDIT: Or better yet, Dirty Water+Nuka Cola. The water's already radiated to hell and the soda provides the additional fizzing.

Sorenson on
  • Options
    DarkSymphonyDarkSymphony Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    good lord, I've been reading up on the 3 expansions and it honestly sounds like broken steel is the only one worth paying the asking price. Obviously since I don't actually have them yet I can't say if I personally feel that that's the case, but why couldn't Bethesda have thought of much more interesting and unique perks to add to Broken Steel?

DarkSymphony on
  • Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    EDIT: Or better yet, Dirty Water+Nuka Cola. The water's already radiated to hell and the soda provides the additional fizzing.
    Diry Water+Nuka Cola+Pop Rocks.

Couscous on
  • Options
    Funguy McAidsFunguy McAids Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    good lord, I've been reading up on the 3 expansions and it honestly sounds like broken steel is the only one worth paying the asking price. Obviously since I don't actually have them yet I can't say if I personally feel that that's the case, but why couldn't Bethesda have thought of much more interesting and unique perks to add to Broken Steel?

My opinion is that Anchorage isn't worth the price, but The Pitt is.

Operation Anchorage is a mostly linear shooter without any challenge and you'll finish it in an hour or 2.

The Pitt has awesome atmosphere, takes a lot longer, and has multiple karmic paths to choose that make me interested in going back to it again and again. I fucking love the set design in The Pitt.

I agree the perks for Broken Steel look lame as fuck. Then again some of them are likely more applicable to console play.

Funguy McAids on
  • Options
    CastigadorCastigador Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Is there a way to run the three DLCs without upgrading to 1.4/1.5? I don't feel like sacrificing my VATS fun for that.

Castigador on
  • Options
    StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    edited May 2009

Ok, quoting myself cause this actually works and I'm too lazy to retype it.

I can't even see the DLC on the GFWL client anymore. It's fucking scary. I hope it shows up again.

Stormwatcher on
    Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    randombattlerandombattle Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    I agree the perks for Broken Steel look lame as fuck. Then again some of them are likely more applicable to console play.
    Besides being able to take multiple level 20 perks is way more awesome.

randombattle on
    itsstupidbutidontcare2.gif
    I never asked for this!
  • Options
    CroakCroak Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Sadly, while The Pitt was a much better gameplay experience, I find myself liking the loot from Anchorage a lot more.

Not a big fan of melee, and all the good Pitt stuff was melee. But the Gauss rifle is a hoot, and if you don't mod or cheat, it has better ammo availibility than say, the Victory Rifle or Lincoln's Repeater (and even with the Pitt, it's a PIT(T)A to run back over there to use the ammo press.

I give my Repeater to Charon to use, I keep the Gauss for myself.

Croak on
  • Options
    StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Croak wrote: »
    Sadly, while The Pitt was a much better gameplay experience, I find myself liking the loot from Anchorage a lot more.

Not a big fan of melee, and all the good Pitt stuff was melee. But the Gauss rifle is a hoot, and if you don't mod or cheat, it has better ammo availibility than say, the Victory Rifle or Lincoln's Repeater (and even with the Pitt, it's a PIT(T)A to run back over there to use the ammo press.

I give my Repeater to Charon to use, I keep the Gauss for myself.

The Metal Blaster Laser Shotgun is really fucking awesome, it's on the Pitt and it's energy weapon. There is also the better scoped-silenced-rifle.

Oh, and the Gauss is unfixable, unlike the two weapons I mentioned.

Stormwatcher on
    Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Sorenson wrote: »
    Even then you'll still have to do a shit-ton of scrounging, though, and the rarity of the stuff combined with having to swap 30 quantums for one of the schematics always just put me the hell off it. Having the perk be that you could simply use a regular NC in the place of a quantum would made it a lot more enticing.

And Jesus Christ all this shit you people're talking about's making me glad I'm waiting for a box set with all the expansions to come out. Yeesh.

You can (and should) get the schematics elsewhere, from the travelling merchants. Although I agree that another formula like the one you mentioned would have been a better deal (not to mention giving all that dirty water a purpose).

Also, ten nuka-colas is a bit excessive, especially in such a late-level perk. They're just grenades, after all - they're the most finite form of ammunition in the game. Being able to sling around nuka-nades like dollar bills at a strip club really isn't too much to ask by that late in the game.

Duffel on
  • Options
    DiannaoChongDiannaoChong Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    RubberAC wrote: »
    I wish they'd make radiation more of an issue in this game
    I shouldn't be able to take a swim through an irradiated lake, then chug a few gulps of it and not even be affected by it

Man, on my first playthrough I thought this was a nobrainer, and I avoided water like the plague. It was a pain working my wait to a bridge to get to the inner city, and then after my playthrough, I watch my buddy play and he just jumps right in the deepest part for +5. What the hell?

So whens the release date for broken steel on PC Again? /rimshot

DiannaoChong on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    SithDrummerSithDrummer Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Nuka-nades do ridiculous amounts of damage, though - instakills for most enemies.

SithDrummer on
  • Options
    CangoFettCangoFett Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    So i played through as a rather righteous BoS type character, and beat it. Great game.

I started playing through again as an evil sneaky melee character. But.. I just cant..

Like, I just blew up megaton. But I just cant tell people, "Oh yeah, i blew up your city ah ha."

On the other hand, I love stealing crap, and putting grenades into peoples' pockets

CangoFett on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    CangoFett wrote: »
    So i played through as a rather righteous BoS type character, and beat it. Great game.

I started playing through again as an evil sneaky melee character. But.. I just cant..

Like, I just blew up megaton. But I just cant tell people, "Oh yeah, i blew up your city ah ha."

On the other hand, I love stealing crap, and putting grenades into peoples' pockets

You do realise its possible to resolve the Power of the Atom quest by doing something unspeakably fucking evil to Tenpenny Tower?

Carcharodontosaurus on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    I know what you mean

The option to be a huge evil dickhead in this game sort of makes sense because, you know, post-apocalyptic wastelands tend to have more of those than other environments, but I still can't do it

Part of it is because I just can't do it when I have the option of being good

Part of it is Bethesda's tendency to present one "i love puppies and sunny days" good option, one normal option, and one "i'ma skullfuck you for fun" evil option with no real middle ground option to just sort of be a douche most of the time

Olivaw on
    signature-deffo.jpg
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    I know what you mean

The option to be a huge evil dickhead in this game sort of makes sense because, you know, post-apocalyptic wastelands tend to have more of those than other environments, but I still can't do it

Part of it is because I just can't do it when I have the option of being good

Part of it is Bethesda's tendency to present one "i love puppies and sunny days" good option, one normal option, and one "i'ma skullfuck you for fun" evil option with no real middle ground option to just sort of be a douche most of the time

There are a few quests in the game that break that tendency though. I won't say what they are, but you'll know them when you see them.

Carcharodontosaurus on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    SorensonSorenson Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    I'd say it's more the matter of that I don't want to be an evil dickhead who's skullfucking you for fun but instead an evil magnificent bastard that plays every side for his own gain and for his own agenda. Any moron can deep-dick your eye socket, but it takes a special brand of evil to start and lead a peasant revolt against the asshole slavers in town only to completily corner the slave market by hunting down and tagging raiders and feral tribals and other scum of the earth.

EDIT: Not to mention that unless you're using a ramped-up spawn booster there aren't that many situations where you can really justify using a nuka-'nade.

Sorenson on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Nuka-nades do ridiculous amounts of damage, though - instakills for most enemies.
    Definitely true. But a full discharge of VATS wielding the android plasma rifle, terrible shotgun, Vengeance or a Shishkebab + pyro is going to drop just about anything, too, by that point in the game.

As it stands explosives is always going to be a supplementary instead of a primary combat skill. Which, you know, is probably logical, but it kind of discourages me from using them even though they can come in pretty damned handy. There's a plasma-wielding enclave trooper in the Roosevelt tunnels that's damn near impossible to hit without a good explosives skill.

As far as the quests go, although I'm always Good, I have to admit I enjoy the quests where all my good efforts are in vain or where there's no clear answer. I just can't bring myself to do Tenpenny Tower, though. I feel too sorry for poor old Dashwood.

Duffel on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Yeah, the quests themselves are interesting, and they at least present ambiguous situations, if not choices, but their writing could really use some work is all I'm saying

Olivaw on
    signature-deffo.jpg