As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Dwarf Fortress: Be sure to "neuter" your cats at the butcher's shop

• Options
    MuddBuddMuddBudd Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Just found a map with a starting location with a brook (no carp), a magma pipe, a bottomless pit, flux stone and adamantine somewhere. Only thing missing is sand, which I may hax in. If anyone wants the world, just ask or PM me.

I've found that I don't need running water as much these days since sandy soil works great for farming. I wish there were a way to search for soil like that though. Or to move it around on the map with buckets.

MuddBudd on
    There's no plan, there's no race to be run
    The harder the rain, honey, the sweeter the sun.
  • Options
    NerdgasmicNerdgasmic __BANNED USERS regular
    edited November 2009
    Ugh, somehow a siege spawned inside my enclosed garden. I savescummed for now.

Nerdgasmic on
  • Options
    YamiNoSenshiYamiNoSenshi A point called Z In the complex planeRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Nerdgasmic wrote: »
    Ugh, somehow a siege spawned inside my enclosed garden. I savescummed for now.

Stupid goblin tunnelers.

YamiNoSenshi on
  • Options
    NerdgasmicNerdgasmic __BANNED USERS regular
    edited November 2009
    That'll be the day. :winky:
    D:

Nerdgasmic on
  • Options
    DudeMaYnDudeMaYn Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    My guards decided to kill both of my legendary miners... The reason?

Ban on the export of BRACELETS

Good thing the mayor got killed by the guards after throwing a table in a tantrum :D

DudeMaYn on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    My miner just made himself an artifact.

It's an Obsidian bed.

"This is a Obsidian bed. All craftdwarfship is of the highest quality. It is encrusted with Obsidian. On the item is an image of a Obsidian bed in Obsidian"

What is the name of this bed? - Clovendeviant the Steamy Pit

My miner is apparently a FREAK, in the 70s sense of the word.

MuddBudd on
  • Options
    MetalbourneMetalbourne Inside a cluster b personalityRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    This game infuriates me sometimes.

I designate a new section to be mined out. Leave, go do some stuff.

Check back, not a single square mined.

Well fuck, I really need a new room to put my new animal cages. Okay well they're just cats they can sit out in the rain for a couple days.

Or six months.

Okay, fuck it. I gave you enough time to stop dicking around miner, I'm going to activate your ass. I check the unit list and realize that an extra miner snuck in with the latest wave of immigrants.

The Irony of it all is, you know what both their jobs were? Dig.

Cocksuckers had finally decided to start digging just before I went to the unit list. Switching back, I found them both at the edge of the section I had mapped out.

Fuckers.

Metalbourne on
  • Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    The new sparring system sounds like it's turning out awesome: http://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/dev_now.html

It's set up so that when they spar they "play-fight" and try not to injure each other, and use blunt wooden training weapons. Plus if someone does get injured they stop sparring, so they don't keep fighting until they are bloody pulps. And they won't spar if the instructor thinks they are too green to handle it safely, instead they'll watch demonstrations by skilled dwarves or do drills until they're good enough.

BahamutZERO on
    BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    StregoneStregone VA, USARegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    The new sparring system sounds like it's turning out awesome: http://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/dev_now.html

It's set up so that when they spar they "play-fight" and try not to injure each other, and use blunt wooden training weapons. Plus if someone does get injured they stop sparring, so they don't keep fighting until they are bloody pulps. And they won't spar if the instructor thinks they are too green to handle it safely, instead they'll watch demonstrations by skilled dwarves or do drills until they're good enough.

Thats awesome. I only ever bother with marksdwarves simply because of the sparring mess.

Stregone on
  • Options
    DemiurgeDemiurge Registered User regular
    edited November 2009

This is so good, wish he'd be done soon so I can plaaay :P Also I hope we can set up arena's and watch dwarves fight to the death with each other/captured monsters.

Demiurge on
    DQ0uv.png 5E984.png
  • Options
    YamiNoSenshiYamiNoSenshi A point called Z In the complex planeRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Does it still include them stripping and leaving clothes on the barracks floor forever?

YamiNoSenshi on
  • Options
    ButtcleftButtcleft Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Does it still include them stripping and leaving clothes on the barracks floor forever?

Naked Wrestling is the only kind of wrestling dwarfs care about

Buttcleft on
  • Options
    jothkijothki Registered User regular
    edited November 2009

He apparently put in some effort to have a smarter way of handling that.

jothki on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    jothki wrote: »

He apparently put in some effort to have a smarter way of handling that.

So now they strip naked and then neatly fold and store the clothes?

MuddBudd on
  • Options
    TekDragonTekDragon __BANNED USERS regular
    edited November 2009
    Maaaan.

First my carpenter/mason went down with a bruised upper spine, broken nose and broken arm to a kobold thief who became enraged.

Then my dedicated carpenter when down to broken leg thanks to a goblin thief.

Now one of my Legendary miners has a bruised brain, a mangled upper left arm, a broken lower left arm and a broken leg (although she singlehandedly killed an entire ambush group while sustaining her wounds). She managed to limp halfway back inside before someone decided to come along an carry her to a bed.

My starting lineup is dropping left and right D:

I need to get my indoor watersupply up and running asap. Anyone know a good way to force 10 or so dwarves to do nothing other than fill my temporary pond?

Wardog pairs along the entrance tunnel. Works for me.

TekDragon on
  • Options
    HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    TekDragon wrote: »
    Maaaan.

First my carpenter/mason went down with a bruised upper spine, broken nose and broken arm to a kobold thief who became enraged.

Then my dedicated carpenter when down to broken leg thanks to a goblin thief.

Now one of my Legendary miners has a bruised brain, a mangled upper left arm, a broken lower left arm and a broken leg (although she singlehandedly killed an entire ambush group while sustaining her wounds). She managed to limp halfway back inside before someone decided to come along an carry her to a bed.

My starting lineup is dropping left and right D:

I need to get my indoor watersupply up and running asap. Anyone know a good way to force 10 or so dwarves to do nothing other than fill my temporary pond?

Wardog pairs along the entrance tunnel. Works for me.

That was over three weeks ago, Tek. :P

That fort now has three squads with 5 champion marksdwarves each and two squads with five champion hammer/swordwarf/legenadry armor+shield users. I don't eveb let the goblin sieges try to go through the trap corridor anymore. I just set all the squads station points to where the goblins are :D

HappylilElf on
  • Options
    InfestedGnomeInfestedGnome Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Just started a new fortress just looking for magma and iron. Got a surprise chasm that looks like a hand

I'd like to imagine its armok giving my fortress a high five

InfestedGnome on
    IGsig.jpg
    AKA [PA]Ilovepandas :D
  • Options
    hmxmosshmxmoss Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Man, I just generated a map with a major river, with two waterfalls (10 and 12 Z-levels) dropping into it from minor rivers. Lots of trees.

And tons of hippos, carp, and stingray in all the rivers. Oh, and some elephants.

And a crapton of hippie elves all over the place.

What should I do??? (I think if there was/is magma, I'd set the whole place on fire.)

hmxmoss on
    burning.jpg
  • Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    hmxmoss wrote: »
    Man, I just generated a map with a major river, with two waterfalls (10 and 12 Z-levels) dropping into it from minor rivers. Lots of trees.

And tons of hippos, carp, and stingray in all the rivers. Oh, and some elephants.

And a crapton of hippie elves all over the place.

What should I do??? (I think if there was/is magma, I'd set the whole place on fire.)

You should first get rid of that infestation. Steal all of their goods, and have them see their trees cut down before their eyes.

Couscous on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Whoa. Just got a fire imp in a wooden cage. What do I do with it?

oh boy and now i caught a giant eagle. Not sure how I nabbed it in a cage trap but it happened :D

InfestedGnome on
    IGsig.jpg
  • Options
    BlueDestinyBlueDestiny Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    The pokemon mod is hilarious. I just chopped a zombie Mankey's hands and legs off.

BlueDestiny on
  • Options
    SoaLSoaL fantastic Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Whoa. Just got a fire imp in a wooden cage. What do I do with it?

kill it with fire?

wait

Also dwarvemon sounds sweet

pokemon!

SoaL on
    DKFA7.gif
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    oh god I went afk without pausing the game and apparently a few fire imps showed up and caught the entire country side on fire and killed my 2 games yet

InfestedGnome on
    IGsig.jpg
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    So I have a tower set up yet but haven't had time to train a crossbow force. I freaked when a force of invading goblins spawned.

...right on the just arrived human caravan!!!

Invaders gone!

MuddBudd on
  • Options
    OhtsamOhtsam Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    So I decided to start playing again after not having done so for several months and it has been a perfect storm of disaster.

So I examine the map I ended up with and noticed that I had an nice chasm and a large underground area between the chasm and the currently frozen river. I designate the dig so that my main entrance will only accesible from a drawbridge across the chasm later on. I unpause and almost immediately my fisherdwarf is ripped to pieces by batmen not 6 squares away from the damn wagon. Strangely enough the others were left alone. I continued on moving stuff inside and decided to begin creating a small aquifer underneath so I could have a well. Unfortunately my mason was unable to build the wall in time to separate the the new aquifer from the rooms I was digging underneath for workshops. No big deal I thought I'll just have the miners digging the walls out of the chasm for my bridge. I neglected however to check z-levels and what said squares were holding up. I lost both my miners in a very small collapse which knocked them in the deep chasm.
    SO now I'm down to 4 dwarves and we've barely started the first summer and to add insult to injury I have no picks nowso I'll have to suck it up and only have 4 6x6 rooms until the caravan arrives and possibly brings a pick

Edit: They are now naming all the batmen on the map

Ohtsam on
  • Options
    DisruptedCapitalistDisruptedCapitalist I swear! Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Stregone wrote: »

Thats awesome. I only ever bother with marksdwarves simply because of the sparring mess.

I just use the military as a way to cull the milkers and soa pers from my civilian ranks. So what if they all end up with spinal injuries; they'll be perfect candidates for the Royal Guard.

DisruptedCapitalist on
    "Simple, real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time." -Mustrum Ridcully in Terry Pratchett's Hogfather p. 142 (HarperPrism 1996)
  • Options
    xzzyxzzy Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    My training system goes something like:

Spend a year on the pumps to bulk up.
    Get recruited into the military, scrounge up the best armor and weapons the dwarf can find.
    Get ye to the barracks and start training.
    If injured beyond repair: become marksdwarf
    If no injuries: remain as infantry
    If dead: oh well, the next migrant wave should be here soon!

xzzy on
  • Options
    VicVic Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    xzzy wrote: »
    My training system goes something like:

Spend a year on the pumps to bulk up.
    Get recruited into the military, scrounge up the best armor and weapons the dwarf can find.
    Get ye to the barracks and start training.
    If injured beyond repair: become marksdwarf
    If no injuries: remain as infantry
    If dead: oh well, the next migrant wave should be here soon!

I found that a better system, at least until toady fixes unarmed sparring, is to skip the first step and recruit them as wrestlers in full armor. Their defensive skills will be high enough to protect them as they start training with weapons later.

Vic on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    That assumes you care if they survive or not.

Dwarves are expendable.. more are always waiting in the wings to crowd my fortress, by killing themselves off in training they're making my life easier.

Locking injured dwarves in their bedroom until they die from starvation is SOP for me. :)

xzzy on
  • Options
    ZypherIMZypherIM Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    What is scarier than a skeletal creature? One that is on FIRE.

fimps.png

Edit: I think one of dwarfs had a fling with the outpost liason. That or she left her romantic partner to come to Spuncrystal.

Also, got my first artifact in this fort! Sadly, it was a possessed mood (no experience gain).

omettomus.png

You'll note that he was a little single minded while crafting this.

ZypherIM on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    ZypherIM wrote: »
    Also, got my first artifact in this fort! Sadly, it was a possessed mood (no experience gain).

omettomus.png

You'll note that he was a little single minded while crafting this.

But but but how did he know what it would look like before he made it. Is your dwarf a time traveler? Did you renamed him The Doctor? Or did he just drill a hole in space and time?

The mind boggles.

YamiNoSenshi on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    What do the rest of you do when you start getting overwhelmed with migrants? I tend to have the problem of being short dwarfs but efficient with my first 7, then I usually don't get migrants until the 2nd year, when I get 19+. By the time I have those sorted out theres usually another 10+ showing up and I'm just out of stuff for them to do.

ZypherIM on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    What do the rest of you do when you start getting overwhelmed with migrants? I tend to have the problem of being short dwarfs but efficient with my first 7, then I usually don't get migrants until the 2nd year, when I get 19+. By the time I have those sorted out theres usually another 10+ showing up and I'm just out of stuff for them to do.

You could always draft them to the military, station them in a pit, and release various caged monsters in there to see who can survive.. The Gauntlet

Buttcleft on
  • Options
    hmxmosshmxmoss Registered User regular
    edited November 2009

First, newly received immigrants are great for clearing piles of rubble/stone in those areas where you want to clear some stockpile space.

Second, crush them with a drawbridge.

Third, profit! :winky:

hmxmoss on
    burning.jpg
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Maybe I should start more megaprojects, and just having them all churning out stone blocks. Its just the pace of the arrivals isn't well spaced. You go for a while having to make due, and then you've got about a dozen slackers sitting around trying to throw parties. I should try to engineer my dining room to sit 2/7-3/7 full of water so they all learn some swimming.

ZypherIM on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Recruit all migrants into the military as soon as they arrive, and lock the doors to your fortress. They eventually go crazy and tear each other apart.

If one manages to survive, obviously he's the best dwarf and should be welcomed into your society.

xzzy on
  • Options
    MetalbourneMetalbourne Inside a cluster b personalityRegistered User regular
    edited November 2009
    But but but how did he know what it would look like before he made it. Is your dwarf a time traveler? Did you renamed him The Doctor? Or did he just drill a hole in space and time?

The mind boggles.

Obviously one was the original blueprint, and the other was a drawing he made after he completed it.

I bet there was space for him to make a picture of himself building the bed. The slacker.

Metalbourne on
  • Options
    edited November 2009

The mind boggles.

Obviously one was the original blueprint, and the other was a drawing he made after he completed it.

I bet there was space for him to make a picture of himself building the bed. The slacker.

On the item is an image Urist McCrazyass carving Himself carving an image of carving an image an carving an image of Fluke of Shoves the obsidian bed.

Buttcleft on
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    One thing that does keep my dwarfs busy at first is bringing in all my wood. For the price of 1 steel axe you can bring 100 logs, without having to risk a dwarf outdoors. I like to bring a bunch of wood, and trade for more. As long as you aren't running smelters off ash it pretty much handles your wood needs. Just making the 200-something trips to bring it all inside takes forever though. Maybe I should start building a wall around my wagon instead.

Edit: So the dwarvern caravan killed some troglodytes, and I was collecting their bones for instruments. One came out of nowhere and rushed my worker. Unluckily for him, I have all my 7 dwarfs mine at the start, and this guy has 3 increases in strength. The first swing he buries his pick into the things left eye, and then proceeds to tear it apart.

headshotei.png

I've also found a solution for my problem with immigrants. I got a legendary mason out of a strange mood, set up a garbage dump right next to his shop, and marked about 100 stones for dumping. Then I reclaimed them, and set him to work. He puts out about 3 items by the time a hauler takes one out of his shop to the stockpile 9 squares away. I have this image of him yelling for a hauler to clear his shop, them taking an item, pausing at the door to look back, and he has made another 5 doors and is having to reach around one in order to make a 6th.

Apparently a really easy way to mark large amount of stone for dumping is to just go (z)->stocks->stones. You can pick entire types for dumping.

ZypherIM on
  • Options
    ProPatriaMoriProPatriaMori Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Maybe I should start more megaprojects, and just having them all churning out stone blocks. Its just the pace of the arrivals isn't well spaced. You go for a while having to make due, and then you've got about a dozen slackers sitting around trying to throw parties. I should try to engineer my dining room to sit 2/7-3/7 full of water so they all learn some swimming.

I think it's an oft-overlooked fact that parties/meeting areas in general help the social skills, which can curtail things like tantrums. I think the person with the most friends/acquaintances is also generally the person elected mayor so long as you have elected positions going.

ProPatriaMori on
This discussion has been closed.