As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

An Ode to Dynamix Studios

Dangerou-DaveDangerou-Dave __BANNED USERS regular
edited May 2009 in Games and Technology
(A note: This OP turned more into a gush-fest story about my introduction to PC gaming than a salute to Dynamix. I apologize for the nostalgia-fest)

Dynamix-logo.jpg

What a sad day it is when the etchings on Dynamix's tombstone have weathered away

Known for Mech Warrior and Red Baron for the DOS, Dynamix later bloomed into the studio that may have developed many of your favorite PC games of the past. The Incredible Machine, Betrayal at Krondor, Space Quest V, 3D Ultra Pinball...

However, my love affair with Dynamix began when I got my first computer with one of those new fangled "graphics accelerators" or "graphics cards" rather...

This was the first game I bought, with zero knowledge as to the game itself. I simply found the box art and screenshots to look cool. Boy was I surprised.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=voOJ__7Cqrg

Starsiege was the first game that took me from the old days of Wolfenstein, DOS, 7th guest, etc. and HURLED me into what was then modern PC gaming. It was the first online deathmatch game I had ever played, and that alone was amazing.

The loved the music at the time, too:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Ak52Hkg50c&feature=related

I came into the relatively modern world of PC gaming with ZERO knowledge of what was good, what was bad, what the elitists were playing, or anything like that. But with the name recognition of "Starsiege" and "Dynamix" I had gained from my first-ever PC game, I picked up my second-ever PC game.

tribes.jpg

Ho-lee-shit. I can't stress enough the lack of context I had as far as what the good games were, etc. For all I knew, Tribes was the norm, or at the very most...a decent PC game. I was thrust into the world of 32 person capture the flag, vehicle based combat, base-to-base battles...armor upgrades...multiplayer 'classes'. The ability to build vastly different sentry guns, upgrade stations, and so on.
For fucks sake you guys, this was 11 years ago! Most of my friends were playing Goldeneye when I bought this game. I had to often bite my tongue (hell, I had and loved Goldeneye, too).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d_tYMRyaj8s

I was sold. Dynamix, I thank you for introducing me to this crazy world of PC gaming.

What's funny is...to carry on this whole "I was totally ignorant to the world of PC gaming" thing further (which is true. There was no gamerankings back in the day, and I didn't frequent gaming boards or review sites, or anything at the time)...my next game I bought was, once again, based solely off the appeal of the boxart and screenshots.

That game was Half-life...with Team Fortress Classic coming out the subsequent year. Needless to say, I was incredibly lucky with my first go at PC gaming. I never looked back after this. This time in my life is a vast nostalgia reservoir...when I was a teenager and could spend hours and hours in front of the glowing screen. It was a good time to be a PC gamer.

Dangerou-Dave on

• Options
    solsovlysolsovly Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    My hardcover book came with a copy of the game. That's the best book tie in bonus I've ever gotten.

solsovly on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Starsiege came from a different era as far as packaging goes.

It had the large box, with the front panel that flipped open to reveal a ton of screenshots and art on the inside. Not only did it come with a full color 100+ page trade back manual...it also came with a 150+ page trade back art/story book that I absolutely DEVOURED in my early teens. It was one of those books laced with quotes from fictional heroes, intricate timelines, concept art for the mechs, back story, etc. etc.

I never threw it away...I'm sure it's around somewhere, boxed up in my parents basement or something.

Dangerou-Dave on
  • Options
    greeblegreeble Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    I never played star seige or tribes. I did however play the shit out of Tribes 2. Great game. And yeah its pretty amazing how advanced PC games were compared to their console brethren at that time.

greeble on
    PSN/steam/battle.net: greeble XBL: GreebleX

Let me tell you about Demon's Souls....
    I’ll tell you what happens in Demon’s Souls when you die. You come back as a ghost with your health capped at half. And when you keep on dying, the alignment of the world turns black and the enemies get harder. That’s right, when you fail in this game, it gets harder. Why? Because fuck you is why.
  • Options
    angrylinuxgeekangrylinuxgeek Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    For fucks sake you guys, this was 11 years ago! Most of my friends were playing Goldeneye when I bought this game. I had to often bite my tongue

this is so true. I was playing a game that is still years ahead of console games and my buddies were just starting to understand what deathmatch was. Tribes was so amazing.

angrylinuxgeek on
    sQwJu.png
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    For fucks sake you guys, this was 11 years ago! Most of my friends were playing Goldeneye when I bought this game. I had to often bite my tongue

this is so true. I was playing a game that is still years ahead of console games and my buddies were just starting to understand what deathmatch was. Tribes was so amazing.

I have fond memories of...

*Someone enters game*

Voice-command: Hi

voice command onslaught from the 20 other people responding:

Hi!
    Hiiii!
    Howdy!
    SHAZBOT!
    Heya

Dangerou-Dave on
  • Options
    GalagaGalaxianGalagaGalaxian Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    I love Dynamix and I loved both Tribes and Starsiege, though I sorta regretted that Tribe's massive popularity somewhat killed any chance of a sequel to Starsiege.

Free Mars! :P

GalagaGalaxian on
    Remember the compliments you receive, forget the insults; if you succeed in doing this, tell me how.
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    I love Dynamix and I loved both Tribes and Starsiege, though I sorta regretted that Tribe's massive popularity somewhat killed any chance of a sequel to Starsiege.

Free Mars! :P

Indeed, I loved the story most of all. I just checked some stuff out online that I remember reading from the compendium that shipped with the game.

Scientists reports of prometheus's "child-like naivete, incapable of deception, lacks creativity."
    And transcripts from prometheus's 'orders' : "Acknowledging new directive. >>EXECUTING 'FIRE.'<<"

or the little poems and aphorisms

"E is for Earth,
    which is pretty and blue.

Don't trust the Earthborn,
    they're greedy as glue"

Dangerou-Dave on
  • Options
    RenzoRenzo Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    If valhalla exists, it probably has a Tribes server.

Renzo on
  • Options
    iusehappymodiusehappymod Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    I spent 9 years playing Tribes 1. Annihilation, TroC, and Base...

there is so little that can compare with it.

iusehappymod on

Hamlet will be Hamlet
    An ineffable tragedy of the human spirit that still resonates, even today.
  • Options
    NickTheNewbieNickTheNewbie Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    I had red baron for the mac by dynamix. I was like 10, so i had no idea how the fuck it worked.

NickTheNewbie on
  • Options
    DoronronDoronron Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    I want another Red Baron, Aces of the Deep, or the planned Aces game with all the weird WW2 fighter prototypes. My combat sim franchises got left behind when the company folded.

Doronron on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    I just want a good quality WWI Flight sim period.

GalagaGalaxian on
    Remember the compliments you receive, forget the insults; if you succeed in doing this, tell me how.
  • Options
    MordrackMordrack Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    riseofthedragongamecove.jpg
    Rise of the Dragon is still one of my favorite adventure games. I replay it almost annually.

Dynamix made some good adventure games. Willy Beamish and Heart of China are both great too.

Mordrack on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    DietarySupplementDietarySupplement Still not approved by the FDA Dublin, OHRegistered User regular
    edited May 2009
    I'm having a very hard time remembering, but: there was a turn-based version of EarthSiege, and I cannot for the life of me find any info on it right now, but that was my favorite ES game. I can't view any site with "game" mentioned anywhere on the page or else the work filters go bonkers...

DietarySupplement on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Mission Force: Cyberstorm.

GalagaGalaxian on
  • Options
    BanichiBanichi Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Betrayal at Krondor was the first PC RPG I ever played. It was also the first modern non-text-interface-based PC game I ever played. Playing Betrayal at Krondor, Heretic, Doom, Quest for Glory II, Legend of Kyrandia, King's Quest VI, and Tank Wars at a friend's house over a couple of summers inspired me to purchase my first PC as a teenager (a HP 486DX2 w/300MB HDD, and 8MB RAM, iirc).

Thank you Dynamix and Sierra.
    Playing the sewer portion of getting into Krondor and not knowing how to control the party/fight/light-a-torch is a classic experience everyone should share.

Banichi on
    VC_sig.jpg
  • Options
    TK-42-1TK-42-1 Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Mordrack wrote: »
    Willy Beamish

now i have that rap song from any given sunday stuck in my head

TK-42-1 on
    sig.jpgsmugriders.gif
  • Options
    RobmanRobman Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    I miss Tribes 2

Robman on
  • Options
    mcdermottmcdermott Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Oh man, Dynamix.

*pours a sip for the homies*

Seriously, it was a wellspring of fuckawesome for a long, long time. I actually never played Tribes. I did, however, play Earthsiege and Battledrome, the ancient ancestors of Starsiege. And Red Baron. And Aces of the Pacific. And Abrams Battle Tank. And A-10 Tank Killer. And a few others.

Earthsiege was actually my first taste of hawt mech-on-mech action, and that shit hasn't gone stale since.

mcdermott on
  • Options
    MordrackMordrack Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Linked to the wikipedia page just in case. I've had great success running it on newer versions of Windows. So if you can get it, do so. It's so choice.

Mordrack on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Holy shit they made A-10 Tank Killer? Hard the fuck core.

Robman on
  • Options
    DietarySupplementDietarySupplement Still not approved by the FDA Dublin, OHRegistered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Robman wrote: »
    I miss Tribes 2

Pretty sure you can download and play for free now... I thought there was a thread floating around here...

Oh wait, here it is.

http://forums.penny-arcade.com/showthread.php?t=79371

DietarySupplement on
  • Options
    IgelIgel Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Aces of the Pacific was one of my first video game experiences. Later I picked up Aces of the Deep, but I never really figured out how to play it. (I was young) Still had a blast with them, and the manuals, oh the manuals. They were awesome, I still have the Aces of the Pacific one around here somewhere. It had interviews with WW2 pilots. How can you beat that?

Igel on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    I miss Tribes 2

Pretty sure you can download and play for free now... I thought there was a thread floating around here...

Oh wait, here it is.

http://forums.penny-arcade.com/showthread.php?t=79371

Holy fucktits. If I wasn't in the final stages of procuring an excellent-condition x52 flight control system/penis enhancer to play Freespace 2 and every other space/flightsim known to man, I would totally be all for reliving my Tribes 2 addiction.

Robman on
  • Options
    TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    OUR FLAG IS NOT IN THE BASE

WE NEED MORE DEFENSE

GOING OFFENSE!

TychoCelchuuu on
  • Options
    PasteePastee Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Nice Thread!

I played the "Tank Series" to death. (Stellar 7/Arctic Fox on my C64 and Nova 9 on the PC)

The original Red Baron was one of my favorite flight simulators ever!

Pastee on
  • Options
    ScrubletScrublet Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    I support this thread. And I had Red Baron too. I saw Red Baron Arcade pop up on the PS3 and got so excited, downloaded the demo immediately. What a fucking piece of shit that was.

Scrublet on
    subedii wrote: »
    I hear PC gaming is huge off the coast of Somalia right now.

PSN: TheScrublet
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    I just want a good quality WWI Flight sim period.

Too bad Full Canvas Jacket's pretty much gone these days. $35 or so to Amazon for RB3D and a copy of that pretty much solves the problem until hardware support ceases to exist.

I do want an updated Red Baron, though. Tired of WW2.

Doronron on
  • Options
    MalkorMalkor Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    I think Tribes might have been the first game that I would dream about when I didn't play it for periods of time.

Malkor on
    14271f3c-c765-4e74-92b1-49d7612675f2.jpg
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Doronron wrote: »
    Tired of WW2.

Yes, I think we have enough WW2 FPS games now.

Scrublet on

• Options
    lowlylowlycooklowlylowlycook Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Scrublet wrote: »
    I support this thread. And I had Red Baron too. I saw Red Baron Arcade pop up on the PS3 and got so excited, downloaded the demo immediately. What a fucking piece of shit that was.

I didn't buy it but wasn't even Red Baron II or whatever the sequel was called a disappointment?

lowlylowlycook on
    steam_sig.png
    (Please do not gift. My game bank is already full.)
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Tired of WW2.

What there needs to be is an RTS based on WWII naval combat. A really hardcore military naval combat sim.

Robman on
  • Options
    lowlylowlycooklowlylowlycook Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Tired of WW2.

What there needs to be is an RTS based on WWII naval combat. A really hardcore military naval combat sim.

Indeed. Might as well include some WWI action since even some of the ships are the same.

[edit] Didn't someone recently rerelease Carriers at War or something?

lowlylowlycook on
    steam_sig.png
    (Please do not gift. My game bank is already full.)
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    WWII had carriers, and the Iowa class.

That could be a beautiful game.

Robman on
  • Options
    mcdermottmcdermott Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Now you've got me all nostalgic over the Great Naval Battles series (from SSI). Not quite what you're talking about, but damn those were fun.

mcdermott on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    It just clicked in my head what I loved so much about Homeworld and Homeworld 2, those games were basically WWII naval sims in 'space'.

Robman on
  • Options
    edited May 2009

I didn't buy it but wasn't even Red Baron II or whatever the sequel was called a disappointment?

I don't remember hearing about it so I'm guessing the answer is yes.

Scrublet on

• Options
    edited May 2009
    The Problem was that Red Baron II's flight model wasn't considered as good as the original's. That is perhaps the case, but I couldn't tell. I think it had more aircraft. It certainly had better terrain. The campaign mode was largely the same. No clouds in the sequel, but in the original, the AI had perfect sight, anyway. AI seemed to be about the same. Red Baron 3D solved the issues people complained about, added in glide and 3DFX graphics (great for the time), and released it as a free super patch for existing customers.

It's been at least five years since I played Red Baron 2 last, and much, much longer since my last game of the original, so I don't have hard evidence or fresh recollection.

As for naval stuff, I think Pacific General did an excellent job for WW2 naval combat. There was a game released a while ago that had theater level naval strategy for the Pacific that scaled down to RTS combat and also allowed the player to fly individual aircraft during battles. However, I got the impression that it was largely crap. Tried to do too many things at once, I guess.

Doronron on
  • Options
    PasteePastee Registered User regular
    edited May 2009

I agree. I was so excited, expecting it to be an updated version of the original. What I ended up downloading made me cry....

I bought Red Baron II back in the day. It was horrible. I added the patch hoping it would fix everything. It made the game playable, but it was still a horrible sequel to a classic game.

They had everything great to build on. In my opinion the original Red Baron was flawless. Hell, the same game with updated graphics would have been awesome. It's like they had to put in some serious effort to fuck it up.

Pastee on
  • Options
    DaemonionDaemonion Mountain Man USARegistered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Red Baron, fuck yeah!

The menu music for 3D was fucking fantastic, by the way.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lupk2oqy4JU

Daemonion on