Options

GOP: Internet Forum Is Liberal Echo Chamber

• Options
    ShadowenShadowen Snores in the morning LoserdomRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    moniker wrote: »
    Taramoor wrote: »
    Is Al Franken a senator yet?

At this point, I'm pretty sure he'll be up for reelection before actually being seated.

That's probably a politician's wet dream. All the benefits of incumbency with none of the baggage of a voting record.

And being able to bury your opponent completely by blaming him for all of it.

Shadowen on
  • Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited June 2009
    Apparently O'Rly loathes Franken for some reason, so I look forward to clips of his rage when Franken finally sorts everything out.

I'm also very worried that people in positions of power make such boneheaded mistakes. On the other hand, I think affairs get way overblown. Some dudes just aren't meant to be married and worse, do it just because our fucked-up culture sees that as one sign of strong politicking.

Sterica on
    YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Rorus Raz wrote: »
    Apparently O'Rly loathes Franken for some reason, so I look forward to clips of his rage when Franken finally sorts everything out.

Some reason? It's pretty well known why he hates Franken - Franken beat him in court like a rented mule.

AngelHedgie on
    XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Some reason? It's pretty well known why he hates Franken - Franken beat him in court like a rented mule.
    I don't know much about either beyond one being a former comedy writer and the other being amazed by civilized black people.

Sterica on
    YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    EvanderEvander Disappointed Father Registered User regular
    edited June 2009

I'm also very worried that people in positions of power make such boneheaded mistakes. On the other hand, I think affairs get way overblown. Some dudes just aren't meant to be married and worse, do it just because our fucked-up culture sees that as one sign of strong politicking.

I think that affairs and politics should be kept separate

I also think, though, that the Republican party (and the individuals within it) should be held accountable for their "family values" rhetoric when it's clear that there's nothing behind it.

Evander on
  • Options
    GimGim a tall glass of water Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I don't know much about either beyond one being a former comedy writer and the other being amazed by civilized black people.

To back up AH's statement:
    On May 31, 2003, the cable network C-SPAN2 broadcast a panel discussion on political books that was taking place at BookExpo, a trade show for the book publishing industry. The panel included Franken, whose Lies and the Lying Liars Who Tell Them was scheduled for release in the autumn, and Fox News personality Bill O'Reilly, who was promoting his own book Who's Looking Out For You?, which was due for release at about the same time as Franken's. Saying that he felt the need to explain why a fellow panelist's face was on the cover of a book entitled Lies and the Lying Liars Who Tell Them, Franken told a story about O'Reilly's incorrect statements that his former program Inside Edition had won two Peabody awards, when it in fact won a Polk Award after O'Reilly left the show. The two then engaged in a heated confrontation, which culminated in O'Reilly's shouting, "Shut up! Shut up!" after Franken interrupted him. A link to footage of the program quickly circulated among blogs, which had the effect of providing valuable publicity for Franken's upcoming book.
    In 2003, Penguin Books published Franken's book Lies and the Lying Liars who Tell Them: A Fair and Balanced Look at the Right, which included a cover photo of Fox News commentator Bill O'Reilly and a chapter accusing O'Reilly of lying. In August of that year, Fox News sued, claiming infringement of its registered trademark phrase "Fair and Balanced." A federal judge found the lawsuit to be "wholly without merit." The episode with Fox focused a great deal of media attention upon Franken's book and, according to Franken, greatly increased its sales.
    In 2004, Franken began hosting a talk show, originally titled The O'Franken Factor, on the fledgling Air America Radio network. The program's title was a jab at Bill O'Reilly's show, named The O'Reilly Factor. Franken said that he chose the name to "annoy and bait" O'Reilly into filing another lawsuit.

Best of buddies.

Gim on
  • Options
    AtomikaAtomika Live fast and get fucked or whatever Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Evander wrote: »
    I also think, though, that the Republican party (and the individuals within it) should be held accountable for their "family values" rhetoric when it's clear that there's nothing behind it.

Hey, cut 'em some slack. It's tough to be the party that stands against every biologically human desire.

Atomika on
  • Options
    ronyaronya Arrrrrf. the ivory tower's basementRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009

Assorted leaders of the religious right have been getting involved in all sorts of eye-popping scandals for decades, but nothing has stuck: rape, adultery, tax evasion, blatant theft. Homosexuality is the only thing that can permanently damage a determined fundie; everything else can be pushed to the evil women or evil Federal prosecutors.

The fact is that even if the other guy railing about the sanctity of marriage between one man and one woman is a serial adulterer, pointing this out just never seems to fly with the people it needs to convince - maybe it reads too much like mudslinging, I dunno.

ronya on
    aRkpc.gif
  • Options
    CervetusCervetus Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    ronya wrote: »
    The fact is that even if the other guy railing about the sanctity of marriage between one man and one woman is a serial adulterer, pointing this out just never seems to fly with the people it needs to convince - maybe it reads too much like mudslinging, I dunno.

Or maybe it's because they're fucking retarded.

Cervetus on
  • Options
    electricitylikesmeelectricitylikesme Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Cervetus wrote: »

It's this. We're not talking about a demographic who display the hallmarks of being able to be swayed, usually.

Ok that's not true: we have a split demographic - batshit insane fundies, and moderates. Moderates don't care about stuff like this because they don't really care about the "family values" rhetoric, and are focussed more on economic issues (would be my superficial guess from some of what I've seen of this forum).

electricitylikesme on
  • Options
    edited June 2009

Yeah, I definitely think hypocrisy should be highlighted for all to see. Especially since, in this case, the person committed an act which he believes is a good reason for a person to step down from office.

Sterica on
    YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    CervetusCervetus Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Cervetus wrote: »

It's this. We're not talking about a demographic who display the hallmarks of being able to be swayed, usually.

Ok that's not true: we have a split demographic - batshit insane fundies, and moderates. Moderates don't care about stuff like this because they don't really care about the "family values" rhetoric, and are focussed more on economic issues (would be my superficial guess from some of what I've seen of this forum).

After all, it doesn't read too much like mudslinging when it's their people dragging everyone else through the tar.

Is "Dragging [someone] through the tar" an expression? If not, I've now started it and you should all use it.

Cervetus on
  • Options
    OptimusZedOptimusZed Registered User regular
    edited June 2009

I could give three shits who this guy is or isn't sleeping with, honestly. But when you've got people using "family values" as a bludgeon against their political opponents, I think it's entirely reasonable to call them out as hypocritical assholes when they're banging people other than their wife (I'd add /husband, but I can't remember a prominent female Republican caught in this kind of situation).

Turnabout is fair play, and all that. Especially when it's self-inflicted.

OptimusZed on
    We're reading Rifts. You should too. You know you want to. Now With Ninjas!

They tried to bury us. They didn't know that we were seeds. 2018 Midterms. Get your shit together.
  • Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    edited June 2009

Hey, cut 'em some slack. It's tough to be the party that stands against every biologically human desire.

GOP '12: A Return to the Traditional American Values of the 1950s, when nobody pooped.

KalTorak on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Has anyone come out to talk about how this can all be blamed on gay marriage yet?

OptimusZed on

They tried to bury us. They didn't know that we were seeds. 2018 Midterms. Get your shit together.
  • Options
    SpeakerSpeaker Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    KalTorak wrote: »

GOP '12: A Return to the Traditional American Values of the 1950s, when nobody pooped.

Strength, Peace, Constipation.

Speaker on
  • Options
    QinguQingu Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    So, those Sanford e-mails.

Does anyone else think they're kind of ... adorable? The oblique, embarrassed references to titties? The high-school drama of an impossible love?

Also, I don't think it's fair to criticize him about skipping town on Father's Day. He's the father. The day is for him, so he gets to do whatever he wants. Sort of like how you get to act like an emperor and order your friends and family around on your birthday.

Qingu on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Qingu wrote: »
    Does anyone else think they're kind of ... adorable? The oblique, embarrassed references to titties? The high-school drama of an impossible love?
    They read like the obvious product of a lifetime of imposed puritanism combined with an early marriage of political convenience.

OptimusZed on

• Options
    Gabriel_PittGabriel_Pitt (effective against Russian warships) Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Sort of like how you get to act like an emperor and order your friends and family around on your birthday.
    Where can I get birthdays like these? I mean, I get a cake, if I bother to bake one.

Gabriel_Pitt on
  • Options
    RichyRichy Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    OptimusZed wrote: »
    ...an early marriage of political convenience.

Ah, the traditional definition of marriage.

Richy on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    DeebaserDeebaser on my way to work in a suit and a tie Ahhhh...come on fucking guyRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009

Motherfucker, where's my ICE TEA!

Greatest WTF Bill O'REilly Quote ever

Deebaser on
  • Options
    The Raging PlatypusThe Raging Platypus Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    OptimusZed wrote: »
    They read like the obvious product of a lifetime of imposed puritanism combined with an early marriage of political convenience.

He could have at least come up with a better euphemism for boobies.

"When you hold your twin love pillows in the sunlight, they glisten like watermelons at dawn after a spring shower.....oh, but that would be going into sexual details. Penis."

See, Gov. Sanford? No sweat.

The Raging Platypus on
    Quid wrote: »
    YOU'RE A GOD DAMN PLATYPUS.
    PSN Name: MusingPlatypus
  • Options
    PantsBPantsB Fake Thomas Jefferson Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Deebaser wrote: »
    Motherfucker, where's my ICE TEA!

Greatest WTF Bill O'REilly Quote ever
    I don't know....

GOP '12: A Return to the Traditional American Values of the 1950s, when nobody pooped or saw a black person

PantsB on
    11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
    QEDMF xbl: PantsB G+
  • Options
    SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    PantsB wrote:

GOP '12: A Return to the Traditional American Values of the 1950s, when nobody pooped or saw a black person and the only Hispanic was on I Love Lucy

SyphonBlue on
    LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
  • Options
    emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Also, I don't think it's fair to criticize him about skipping town on Father's Day. He's the father. The day is for him, so he gets to do whatever he wants. Sort of like how you get to act like an emperor and order your friends and family around on your birthday.

*murders Qingu and assumes his identity*

Now, I am emperor!

emnmnme on
  • Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    emnmnme wrote: »

*murders Qingu and assumes his identity*

Now, I am emperor!

Damnit, now no one can stop him from wearing yellow.

KalTorak on
  • Options
    DelzhandDelzhand Hard to miss. Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I'm about as liberal as it gets, but this whole "it's worse because they play the family values card" doesn't really fly with me. Even if it's true, it's impossible to stick it to anyone else in the party. I mean, you can't attack some other republican up for election for Sanford's affair.

Delzhand on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Delzhand wrote: »
    I mean, you can't attack some other republican up for election for Sanford's affair.
    Who is saying that "we" are going to do this?

OptimusZed on

• Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Are people just making fun of the family values thing because a Republican fucked up, or did some political figure make a specific statement I missed?

Henroid on
  • Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I'm about as liberal as it gets, but this whole "it's worse because they play the family values card" doesn't really fly with me. Even if it's true, it's impossible to stick it to anyone else in the party. I mean, you can't attack some other republican up for election for Sanford's affair.

Well they expect everyone to live a moral code(that they're fine pushing as law) that they themselves cannot live up to.

nexuscrawler on
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited June 2009

Well they expect everyone to live a moral code(that they're fine pushing as law) that they themselves cannot live up to.

I would say that especially applies to the neocons, who want to assimilate the globe into their religion and ways of life.

Henroid on
  • Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    edited June 2009

Yes this is the party that as a whole wants to keep gay people from being married, ban abortion, and generally involve themselves in the personal lives of the voters. Yet when their ass gets in trouble they like that they have the choice to have an abortion, and wish people would respect their privacy.

Preacher on
    I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    DuffelDuffel jacobkosh Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Sanford is on record himself as saying Clinton should resign because of Blowjobgate a few years ago.

To be fair, though, I wouldn't be surprised if Sanford himself does actually resign or at least not seek another term when this is all over with. A plain old affair wouldn't have been nearly as damaging, but the whole thing has become so cartoonish and ridiculous it's hard to imagine his career continuing after this thing.

Then again, I would have thought a strongly anti-gay senator trying to solicit anonymous, homosexual buttsecks in an airport bathroom stall would have ended his career, too.

Duffel on
  • Options
    edited June 2009

But you forget that these Christian folk are big on forgiveness.
    Except when it comes to colored people on death row.

Qingu on
  • Options
    edited June 2009

I think it's the Catholics who are big on forgiveness actually. I realize it must seem like splitting hairs but... I can't help it.

Henroid on
  • Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Duffel wrote: »
    Sanford is on record himself as saying Clinton should resign because of Blowjobgate a few years ago.

To be fair, though, I wouldn't be surprised if Sanford himself does actually resign or at least not seek another term when this is all over with. A plain old affair wouldn't have been nearly as damaging, but the whole thing has become so cartoonish and ridiculous it's hard to imagine his career continuing after this thing.

Then again, I would have thought a strongly anti-gay senator trying to solicit anonymous, homosexual buttsecks in an airport bathroom stall would have ended his career, too.

I believe he's up for term limits with regards to being governor. But I don't think he'll resign.

Preacher on
    I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Henroid wrote: »

I think it's the Catholics who are big on forgiveness actually. I realize it must seem like splitting hairs but... I can't help it.

Catholic = Christianity.

I am also splitting hairs but I think you're thinking of the term "evangelical".

EDIT: Although even that is a bit too broad to be a useful demographic term.

Duffel on
  • Options
    edited June 2009

Catholic = Christianity.

I am also splitting hairs but I think you're thinking of the term "evangelical".
    Neither Catholics nor evangelicals are Christians, according to each other.

Qingu on
  • Options
    DajianDajian Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Are people just making fun of the family values thing because a Republican fucked up, or did some political figure make a specific statement I missed?

I think most of it comes from the fact that both John Ensign and Mark Sanford were republicans that vocally called on Clinton to resign his office after he admitted to an affair and they have both been caught cheating in the last year.

Back in 1998:
    “Very damaging stuff. This one’s pretty cut and dried.” Calling the overall situation messy, he added: “I think it would be much better for the country and for him personally [to resign]."

Dajian on
  • Options
    edited June 2009

Catholic = Christianity.

Neither Catholics nor evangelicals are Christians, according to each other.

This is why "Christian" is almost a meaningless term, theologically speaking.

Demographically and historically speaking, though, is a different story.

Duffel on
This discussion has been closed.