As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Beyond!

kdrudykdrudy Registered User regular
edited December 2006 in Graphic Violence
I thought there was a thread on this at one time and I couldn't track it down so I figured I'd make a new one since Beyond! 6 came out this week, the last issue, and it had one big event in it regarding one of the folks involved.

[spoiler:88e9fb1f67]So basically it wasn't the Beyonder doing this, it was The Stranger, another of Marvels weird cosmic beings. He wanted to study people from Earth since they are growing so much in power every day that they could someday become a real threat to the major powers in the universe. The Watcher shows up and uses the psychology of his presence to bascially get the Stranger to let everyone go, but there was a catch.

The catch was that Battleworld only existed because of his will and he no longer needed it, so it was going to destroy itself and their ship home was far away. Gravity ended up using some fancy tricks with his powers to shoot everyone to the ship and hold the entire planet together long enough for them to escape.[/spoiler:88e9fb1f67]

[realspoiler:88e9fb1f67]The upsetting part of all this is that the strain was too much and Gravity died. The exciting part is at the very end, the Watcher is musing to himself about what everyone thought his reason for being there was and none were correct. In his words:
"I was there to witness the death of a great hero, a being of profound destiny whose influence had just begun. His death, as the world will soon discover, is far from the end of his story..."[/realspoiler:88e9fb1f67]

So yea, a big suck and promise for the future that can hopefully mean something good. Overall the series seemed more a setup for the ending, but it was an interesting group of folks involved.

tvsfrank.jpg
kdrudy on

• Options
    robosagogorobosagogo Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    I want more of The Hood after reading this and his original mini.

I never read Gravity. What was his origin? Did it tie into the end of the series?

robosagogo on
  • Options
    kdrudykdrudy Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Gravity was basically a normal Wisconsin teen until an accident during a storm when out sailing with his famly caused him to gain the ability to manipulate gravity, I haven't really seen them explain it much past that, but that's where he came from. At the beginning of his limited series he's come to New York to go to college and become a super hero since New York is where the action is at and his hero is Spider-Man. He has a very Invincible vibe, nice good natured kid with powers that just wants to do good with them, and does just as often as he gets in over his head since he's so inexperienced.

Also The Hood was interesting, I'd be curious to see more of him as well, same with the new Kraven, he had style.

kdrudy on
    tvsfrank.jpg
  • Options
    deadonthestreetdeadonthestreet Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Everyone asks him if he's on the X-Men because his suit has the gravity symbol on it.

It's awesome.

deadonthestreet on
  • Options
    HenslerHensler Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Gravity was the flagship character for the launch of the Marvel Next imprint and his early stories were really good. I specifically remember liking Big City Superhero - it got a lot of Invincible comparisons, but that's a good thing. It reminded me more of late-70's/early 80's Spidey or even Ultimate Spidey, but those were also great books. I havnt seem around much lately, but I know he did some Marvel Team-Up issues.

Hensler on
  • Options
    SalmonOfDoubtSalmonOfDoubt Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Hensler wrote:
    know he did some Marvel Team-Up issues.
    He was in the "League of Losers" arc.

SalmonOfDoubt on
    heavensidesig80.jpg
    PiptheFair wrote: »
    killing children would be hilarious
    Olivaw wrote: »
    HELLO AND WELCOME TO THE PENNY ARCADE FORUMS

PLEASE ENJOY YOUR STAY

AND THIS PENIS
    Man, I don't want to read about this lady's broken vagina.
    NotACrook wrote: »
    I am sitting here trying to come up with a tiered system for rating child molesters.
    cock vore is fuckin hilarious
  • Options
    SatanIsMyMotorSatanIsMyMotor Fuck Warren Ellis Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Wasn't this an out of continuity miniseries though? I mean didn't Spidey die in the first issue?

SatanIsMyMotor on
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    Wasn't this an out of continuity miniseries though? I mean didn't Spidey die in the first issue?

It wasn't Spider-Man, but rather the Space Phantom or a Space Phantom.

robosagogo on
  • Options
    Red or AliveRed or Alive Registered User regular
    edited December 2006

[spoiler:abccebb1d3]Spaaaaaace Phaaaaantom![/spoiler:abccebb1d3]

You might want to check wikipedia.

Red or Alive on
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    Okay, here's a question. When describing earth, the Stranger mentions "The Sorcerer Supreme calls it home." Does this mean that Sorcer Supreme is the title for the strongest sorcerer in the entire universe? I thought it was just an Earth based thing, but this makes it sound bigger than that. I've never followed Strange closely, but I've read Defenders over the years and am reading the Oath right now.

Hensler on
  • Options
    Kuribo's ShoeKuribo's Shoe Kuribo's Stocking North PoleRegistered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Hensler did you get jailed for jerking our dicks about Ben Reilly

Kuribo's Shoe on
    xmassig2.gif
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    No. I got jailed for complimenting someones joke about some dead guy.

Hensler on
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    oh, that.

shoulda gone to SE++.

anyway, I choose to believe you got jailed for mentioning Ben Reilly, because that's what I'd do.

Kuribo's Shoe on
    xmassig2.gif
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    Hensler wrote:
    Okay, here's a question. When describing earth, the Stranger mentions "The Sorcerer Supreme calls it home." Does this mean that Sorcer Supreme is the title for the strongest sorcerer in the entire universe? I thought it was just an Earth based thing, but this makes it sound bigger than that. I've never followed Strange closely, but I've read Defenders over the years and am reading the Oath right now.

I guess it makes sense. I mean, Doctor Strange does most of his work in the astral plane and hell dimensions or whatever and you can pretty much access those locations from anywhere while the scope of those locations extends across the universe as well. Everyone who dies goes to the same place and Mephisto still fucks around with Surfer even when Surfer isn't on Earth.

All the sorcerors are active in the same locations, and Doctor Strange happens to be the best and a resident of Earth.

It actually would be interesting to see an alien sorceror.

robosagogo on
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    I mention Ben Reilly all the time, and I've never got jailed for it... but you can believe whatever you want if you define Sorcerer Supreme for me.

Also, SE++ scares the hell out of me. I dont go there.

And since this is the Beyond thread - whatever follows this better be damn good. Bringing back Gravity for no reason other than to kill him seems like such a waste. I mean, I get killing off guys like Night Thrasher and Goliath in Civil War, but Beyond didnt need to ressurect a B-lister just to kill him.

edit: Or not. Thanks, Robo.

Hensler on
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    Sorcerer Supreme is a title granted in the fictional Marvel Universe to the most powerful wizard on Earth.

Doctor Strange is the current Sorcerer Supreme, and has been almost continuously since the transcendence of his mentor, the Ancient One, later reaffirmed when he was the winner of the Trial of the Vishanti. The next in line for the title is Doctor Doom. A member of the Young Avengers Wiccan, the transplanted son of the Vision and the Scarlet Witch has also been mentioned as a possible heir of the title.

Past Sorcerer Supremes include the ancestor of Sebastian Shaw: Reverend Hiram Shaw.

In the House of M reality Warren Traveler, a man who in Earth-616 never fell down the dark path that would lead to his becoming a powerful magician, was Sorcerer Supreme. He was an enemy of Ms. Marvel, then going by the name "Captain Marvel", and later appeared in her current ongoing title slightly mad from the shift in reality while he warped from their last encounter.

In the MC2 universe, Doc Magnus is the Sorcerer Supreme.

Kuribo's Shoe on
    xmassig2.gif
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    robosagogo wrote:
    Hensler wrote:

I guess it makes sense. I mean, Doctor Strange does most of his work in the astral plane and hell dimensions or whatever and you can pretty much access those locations from anywhere while the scope of those locations extends across the universe as well. Everyone who dies goes to the same place and Mephisto still fucks around with Surfer even when Surfer isn't on Earth.

All the sorcerors are active in the same locations, and Doctor Strange happens to be the best and a resident of Earth.

It actually would be interesting to see an alien sorceror.

In Guardians Of The Galaxy which is set in an alternate future, an alien is Sorceror Supreme. Guy named Krugarr.

Krugarr_001.jpg

Also in this continuity, Dr. Strange is The Ancient One.

Kuribo's Shoe on
    xmassig2.gif
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    I really got start reading more magic based titles. Doc Strange and the whole Sorcerer Supreme thing sounds really cool.

Hensler on
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Guardians of the Galaxy wasn't really a magic-based title.

It was one of the few titles I followed religiously as a young'in, though. Too bad it's such a niche title that it probably won't even get an Essential treatment.

DarkPrimus on
  • Options
    MunchMunch Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    kdrudy wrote:
    [spoiler:f7d402358a]So basically it wasn't the Beyonder doing this, it was The Stranger, another of Marvels weird cosmic beings. He wanted to study people from Earth since they are growing so much in power every day that they could someday become a real threat to the major powers in the universe. The Watcher shows up and uses the psychology of his presence to bascially get the Stranger to let everyone go, but there was a catch.

The catch was that Battleworld only existed because of his will and he no longer needed it, so it was going to destroy itself and their ship home was far away. Gravity ended up using some fancy tricks with his powers to shoot everyone to the ship and hold the entire planet together long enough for them to escape.[/spoiler:f7d402358a]

[realspoiler:f7d402358a]The upsetting part of all this is that the strain was too much and Gravity died. The exciting part is at the very end, the Watcher is musing to himself about what everyone thought his reason for being there was and none were correct. In his words:
    "I was there to witness the death of a great hero, a being of profound destiny whose influence had just begun. His death, as the world will soon discover, is far from the end of his story..."[/realspoiler:f7d402358a]

Why must everything I love wither and die? I stopped buying Beyond after the first issue, planning to go back and buy the rest later, but man, that sucks. Plenty of stuff could have been done with that character without killing them off with plans for a revamp. The character's been in like fifteen books total so far. You're supposed to establish characters for a while before offing them and then giving them a pointless revamp. That sucks.

On the other hand, I apparently have some superpower where any character I like is doomed to die. I'm going to start hating the shit out of Son of Vulcan and Paladin just to be safe.

Munch on
  • Options
    dcleedclee Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Wasn't there a What If? issue that had Tony Stark become Sorceror Supreme? Also, I remember another What If? issue where Dr. Strange becomes Dormammu's apprentice.

dclee on
  • Options
    augustaugust where you come from is gone Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    I'll probably pick up the trade just because is McDuffe (sp?) and it has the Michael Collins Deathlok in it.

august on