Options

Telekinesis...best superpower or bestest superpower?

• Options
    OptimusZedOptimusZed Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Query: What would happen if Obs got superpowers.

Answer: He would become a supervillain.

Conclusion: Seems about right.

OptimusZed on
    We're reading Rifts. You should too. You know you want to. Now With Ninjas!

They tried to bury us. They didn't know that we were seeds. 2018 Midterms. Get your shit together.
  • Options
    DarkCrawlerDarkCrawler Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Obs wrote: »
    Also, Obs? Really creepy. Not even the animal thing, so much as the part about murdering people helpless against you first.

If you have so much unlimited power that no one can really stop you, and you want to do something, then why not just do it?

If for instance, you kill two men just to watch them die, from a mortal human perspective it's a bad thing, because we feel death is bad and we wouldn't want it to happen to us. But what if you're a dude who is going to be around for all eternity? It's not like some day you'll die and go to hell. Who knows, at this point maybe you're already there. For you, killing two men would be no more significant than killing a bug.

So it is not surprising that if had unlimited strength and invulnerability, I'd do anything that amuses me. And if I ever wanted to start my reputation over, I just hide for a couple centuries till everyone forgets about me and come back again as if I was brand new.

Why does killing people amuse you/why would you want to do it?

DarkCrawler on
  • Options
    ObsObs __BANNED USERS regular
    edited May 2009
    Also, Obs? Really creepy. Not even the animal thing, so much as the part about murdering people helpless against you first.

If you have so much unlimited power that no one can really stop you, and you want to do something, then why not just do it?

If for instance, you kill two men just to watch them die, from a mortal human perspective it's a bad thing, because we feel death is bad and we wouldn't want it to happen to us. But what if you're a dude who is going to be around for all eternity? It's not like some day you'll die and go to hell. Who knows, at this point maybe you're already there. For you, killing two men would be no more significant than killing a bug.

So it is not surprising that if had unlimited strength and invulnerability, I'd do anything that amuses me. And if I ever wanted to start my reputation over, I just hide for a couple centuries till everyone forgets about me and come back again as if I was brand new.

Would you really expect to go through all eternity without killing anyone?

Also, I wouldn't be a supervillain, I'd be a superhedonist.

Obs on
  • Options
    redxredx I(x)=2(x)+1 whole numbersRegistered User regular
    edited May 2009
    umm... the term for people who get pleasure from hurting other people is sadist, not hedonist.

redx on
    They moistly come out at night, moistly.
  • Options
    EmperorSethEmperorSeth Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    OptimusZed wrote: »
    Query: What would happen if Obs got superpowers.

Answer: He would become a supervillain.

Conclusion: Seems about right.

I have to say, one of the reasons I wouldn't pick immortality as a power is because whenever I personally consider an immortal character, my first urge is to tie them up and dump in a volcano. Makes my considerations of guys like Sylar and a lot of fictional vampires much more enjoyable. And given that, I can't imagine the entire rest of the world would be much much less creative than me.

EmperorSeth on
    You know what? Nanowrimo's cancelled on account of the world is stupid.
  • Options
    Richard_DastardlyRichard_Dastardly Registered User regular
    edited May 2009

Why do kids burn ants under a magifying glass? Cuz its fun and kids can't really understand that the ant might feel pain or not want a death by concentrated sunbeams. If you had superpowers, especially something as overt as superstrength, invulnerability, immortality, the whole fear of death and pain that drives empathy would be gone and you might revert to that same childish villany.

Richard_Dastardly on
  • Options
    MrMisterMrMister Jesus dying on the cross in pain? Morally better than us. One has to go "all in".Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    I never tortured any animals, Mr. Dastardly, and I don't think that a fear of pain or death needs necessarily drive empathy.

Or, in other words, what the fuck is wrong with you?

MrMister on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    MrMister wrote: »
    I never tortured any animals, Mr. Dastardly, and I don't think that a fear of pain or death needs necessarily drive empathy.

Or, in other words, what the fuck is wrong with you?

Empathy is understanding someone's pain or emotions based on a basis of how it might affect you, and I think that a dude who can't feel pain, can't die and really has nothing to fear couldn't possibly understand pain or fear of death in us mortals.

Not saying he wouldn't have compassion or sympathy, but he probably would have a difficult time feeling any sort of empathy. And that's pretty important, from what I hear.

I mean, shit.

Richard_Dastardly on
  • Options
    Captain CarrotCaptain Carrot Alexandria, VARegistered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Someone who gained invulnerability etc. probably would, for quite some time.

Captain Carrot on
  • Options
    AdrienAdrien Registered User regular
    edited May 2009

A couple of centuries is a long-ass time. You'd be so bored.

A couple of centuries is utterly insignificant compared to the infinity of infinite time you would spend as the only object that exists.

The number one thing that would occupy any immortal's time would be figuring out some way to die before the universe evaporates.

Adrien on
    tmkm.jpg
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    I'm not making a blanket judgement here. I'm just saying it'd be easier for a superpowered dude to develop NPD.

Richard_Dastardly on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Adrien wrote: »

A couple of centuries is utterly insignificant compared to the infinity of infinite time you would spend as the only object that exists.

The number one thing that would occupy any immortal's time would be figuring out some way to die before the universe evaporates.

Don't worry about it. If the universe evaporates with you in it you will most likely end up somewhere else. Another universe.

Obs on
  • Options
    AdrienAdrien Registered User regular
    edited May 2009

Don't worry about it. If the universe evaporates with you in it you will most likely end up somewhere else. Another universe.

Sadly not.

Adrien on
    tmkm.jpg
  • Options
    SpeakerSpeaker Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Well, Obs has a pretty primitive level of moral development.

Kind of in the lower strata of imprisoned felons I've met.

Speaker on
  • Options
    SeptusSeptus Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Jesus, can this not become a thread about Obs?

Septus on
    PSN: Kurahoshi1
  • Options
    Loren MichaelLoren Michael Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    I'd prefer some form of immortality. Fear of death keeps me in check pretty hard. Having telekinesis probably wouldn't help, and I identify that as one of my greatest limiting factors.

Loren Michael on
    a7iea7nzewtq.jpg
  • Options
    AstnsAstns Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Honestly I think Obs makes an interesting point, to elaborate:

If an average person did gain invulnerability/immortality/godlike physical power what would the effects on their personality be? I'm of the opinion that perhaps for a lifespan or two they would be psychologically human (assuming for the sake of argument that memories and personality could develop without limit rather than the 'overflowing cup' analogy) but on a long enough timeline they would become so divorced from the human condition that they would cease to be 'human' in terms of personality and psychology, with behavior to match.

One of the reasons I found Watchmen so interesting was how they explored this possibility with Dr Manhattan.

Astns on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    If human memory does get overwritten and you can't somehow have a super ability to recall every detail of your life, then eventually you will just become a superhedonist. You won't have any memories to remind you of what it was to be mortal, so you don't know what mortals feel. And as far back as you could remember, you've always been a super powered dude.

Therefore, you could come to the conclusion at some point that you were always meant to have these powers, and the universe was meant to be your sandbox, for you to do whatever you want. If you were meant to do whatever you wanted, something would exist to stop you. But nothing does.

Obs on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    If you weren't meant to do whatever you wanted I mean.

Obs on
  • Options
    SentrySentry Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Astns wrote: »

If an average person did gain invulnerability/immortality/godlike physical power what would the effects on their personality be? I'm of the opinion that perhaps for a lifespan or two they would be psychologically human (assuming for the sake of argument that memories and personality could develop without limit rather than the 'overflowing cup' analogy) but on a long enough timeline they would become so divorced from the human condition that they would cease to be 'human' in terms of personality and psychology, with behavior to match.

One of the reasons I found Watchmen so interesting was how they explored this possibility with Dr Manhattan.

Dr. Manhattan became disconnected from humanity due to his relationship with Time, not because of his super strength and invulnerability.

Why would gaining those two things suddenly make you unable to empathize with people? I could go out right now and kill a fucking dog, but I don't because, despite the power over the dog I was born with, I am able to empathize with animals and see how cruel it is to inflict pain on people, regardless of what power I have over said begin.

The only reason Obs can't see this is, as he's proven time and again, he's a fucking sociopath. Listening to a sociopath for advice on how to behave, regardless of the hypothetical, is only slightly less crazy then actually being one.

Sentry on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    wrote:
    When I was a little kid, I always pretended I was the hero,' Skip said.
    'Fuck yeah, me too. What little kid ever pretended to be part of the lynch-mob?'
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    If human memory does get overwritten and you can't somehow have a super ability to recall every detail of your life, then eventually you will just become a superhedonist. You won't have any memories to remind you of what it was to be mortal, so you don't know what mortals feel. And as far back as you could remember, you've always been a super powered dude.

Therefore, you could come to the conclusion at some point that you were always meant to have these powers, and the universe was meant to be your sandbox, for you to do whatever you want. If you were meant to do whatever you wanted, something would exist to stop you. But nothing does.

I'd have to agree that it is a strong possibility, morally repugnant as it is.

Astns on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Sentry wrote: »

Dr. Manhattan became disconnected from humanity due to his relationship with Time, not because of his super strength and invulnerability.
    I think seeing everything at once was a big factor, but his other powers also had an impact. He basically had nothing in common with ordinary humans anymore.

Captain Carrot on
  • Options
    DarkCrawlerDarkCrawler Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    I think that without growing old your memories wouldn't go away that easily.

I think seeing everything at once was a big factor, but his other powers also had an impact. He basically had nothing in common with ordinary humans anymore.

Yeah, but Doctor Manhattan could see fucking atoms. He was a godlike figure.

A guy who simply couldn't be killed wouldn't go that far.

DarkCrawler on
  • Options
    Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    As was stated before, empathy is the ability to relate to the physical sensations and emotional sensations of others. If I stop feeling physical pain, that doesn't mean I'll stop caring about mere mortals altogether, as I'll still be able to relate to a visible display of pain and grief.

Robos A Go Go on
  • Options
    edited May 2009

If we're just looking at fictional characters, then please to explain Superman, who, if anything, has Hyper Empathy for people despite being invulnerable.

Sentry on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    wrote:
    'Fuck yeah, me too. What little kid ever pretended to be part of the lynch-mob?'
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    If we're just looking at fictional characters, then please to explain Superman, who, if anything, has Hyper Empathy for people despite being invulnerable.

1027_4_030.jpg

Robos A Go Go on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Yeah, honestly, who here hasn't emphasized with completely fictional characters? They can't do anything to you by definition. The assumption that empathy is just based on self-preservation is pure Hobbesian, and even then is more about societal morality than personal. Hell, isn't the definition of sociopathy the inability to fell empathy towards others?

At any rate, if Heroes taught us anything, no matter how cool your power is, if it doesn't include the ability to see attacks coming at you, sooner or later it won't matter. Hell, Spiderman could take out pretty much anyone in that universe.

EmperorSeth on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    ... touche.

Sentry on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    wrote:
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    ... touche.

I love all those old "Superman is a dick" covers that apparently have nothing to do with the old covers. http://superdickery.com/ has tons of those things.

EmperorSeth on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    1027_4_030.jpg
    Superman is a dick.

Edit: goddamnit, EmperorSeth.

Captain Carrot on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    As a real life example, consider how many strong, young people are unable to empathize with old elderly shriveled people until they themselves realize they are getting old. They just can't feel what it's like to be old, the feeling of being unable to do even a single push up.

A super immortal would essentially be like that except since they are never getting old or will ever have to face death, they simply cannot empathize with those who do. A newly turned immortal would probably help out the less fortunate for a while, but eventually after seeing that everyone dies anyway there would be very little point in doing so. What's the point of extending an insect's life by a few hours?

So anyone who believes they would just be a super hero forever is kidding themselves. You would most likely just do whatever the hell you wanted after a while.

Obs on
  • Options
    edited May 2009

Why would gaining those two things suddenly make you unable to empathize with people? I could go out right now and kill a fucking dog, but I don't because, despite the power over the dog I was born with, I am able to empathize with animals and see how cruel it is to inflict pain on people, regardless of what power I have over said begin.

The only reason Obs can't see this is, as he's proven time and again, he's a fucking sociopath. Listening to a sociopath for advice on how to behave, regardless of the hypothetical, is only slightly less crazy then actually being one.

First I should point out that I'm not condoning Obs' worldview whatever it may be. I'm just thinking about the psychological impact of that sort of power.

I'm not saying that this mental change would be sudden, I'm saying it could take hundreds of years, perhaps more. A span of time no human being is ever supposed to experience.

I would also argue that a human being and a dog have more in common than a human being and Obs' hypothetical superhuman do. Being invulnerable to any sort of harm, as well as being timeless is an utterly alien state of being which we can only assume would have a profound effect on the mind. I'd say that someone who has seen ten generations be born, grow old and then die would probably have a different perspective on life and death than you or I.

Astns on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    As a real life example, consider how many strong, young people are unable to empathize with old elderly shriveled people until they themselves realize they are getting old. They just can't feel what it's like to be old, the feeling of being unable to do even a single push up.

A super immortal would essentially be like that except since they are never getting old or will ever have to face death, they simply cannot empathize with those who do. A newly turned immortal would probably help out the less fortunate for a while, but eventually after seeing that everyone dies anyway there would be very little point in doing so. What's the point of extending an insect's life by a few hours?

So anyone who believes they would just be a super hero forever is kidding themselves. You would most likely just do whatever the hell you wanted after a while.

No. But clearly you would, what with you being a sociopath and all.

Sentry on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    wrote:
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Maybe the best superpower is actually being able to kill people through the internet.

Obs on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    ... touche.

I love all those old "Superman is a dick" covers that apparently have nothing to do with the old covers. http://superdickery.com/ has tons of those things.

I could actually see Obs doing everything depicted on Superdickery, up to and including forcing cub reporters to marry gorilla brides.

Robos A Go Go on
  • Options
    edited May 2009

First I should point out that I'm not condoning Obs' worldview whatever it may be. I'm just thinking about what the psychological impact of that sort of power would be.

I'm not saying that this mental change would be sudden, I'm saying it could take hundreds of years, perhaps more. A span of time no human being is ever supposed to experience.

I would also argue that a human being and a dog have more in common than a human being and Obs' hypothetical superhuman do. Being invulnerable to any sort of harm, as well as being timeless is an utterly alien state of being which we can only assume would have a profound effect on the mind. I'd say that someone who has seen ten generations be born, grow old and then die would probably have a different perspective on life and death than you or I.

I'm sure it would give a different perspective. But that perspective doesn't automatically make it Obs the Sociopath's one. Like someone said previously, if you have a Hobbesian view of humanity, fine. That's just one perspective. Frankly, I could see someone viewing a lesser creature with compassion and doing everything they could to ease their suffering.

Oh, and Obs, threatening to kill people doesn't make you LESS of a sociopath.

Sentry on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    wrote:
  • Options
    UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    edited May 2009

Sadly not.

That couldn't happen as long as you still existed, though. There would be some amount of entropy around.

UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    edited May 2009

Sadly not.

That couldn't happen as long as you still existed, though. There would be some amount of entropy around.

Not to mention that you could fall into the membrane of another universe.

What exactly happens at the extreme edge of the universe anyway?

Obs on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Yeah, honestly, who here hasn't emphasized with completely fictional characters? They can't do anything to you by definition. The assumption that empathy is just based on self-preservation is pure Hobbesian, and even then is more about societal morality than personal. Hell, isn't the definition of sociopathy the inability to fell empathy towards others?

It's not quite self-preservation, empathy, I think, stems from the notion that a physical or emotional state effecting a living creature, real or fictional, can happen to you, and that you have most likely felt, experienced or at least can imagine some relatively similar situation.

However, if I've never had a migraine and my wife is complaining of a terrible headache, I may sympathize with her and hope she feels better. But I certainly can't understand what sort of pain she's actually in, having never experienced it. I used a migraine as an example, by the way, because there really is no pain similar to it that I can think of.

When it comes to a dude with omega-level superpowers, I can imagine that it would be all too easy (not inevitable, and this wouldn't be applied to everyone) to develop some sort of personality disorder where it's impossible to empathize with people because you could never understand the emotions and pain and fears of mere mortals.

Richard_Dastardly on
  • Options
    SarcastroSarcastro Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    I beleive Obs is simply trying to say that given the right powers, he would like to punch people. In the vagina. With his penis.

I think TK and flight are awesome, but I have often considered the benefits of having a wallet that never ran out of twenties.

Sarcastro on
This discussion has been closed.