Options

Telekinesis...best superpower or bestest superpower?

electricitylikesmeelectricitylikesme Registered User regular
edited May 2009 in Debate and/or Discourse
My name is electricitylikes me, and I am here to ask you a question. Is a man not entitled to move the world by his will? No! Says the man at the lab, he needs nanotechnology. No! Says the man in the white house, he needs mexicans. No! Says the man in the Vatican, he needs god.

The topic of this thread is whether or not telekinesis is the best super-power to have bar none. My thesis is that it is, because the creative application of telekinesis is capable of recreating all other superpowers anyone could want.

Flames, Lightning, Cold, Force fields, flying - suitably "powerful" telekinesis can allow you to do all of these. There's a reason Sylar uses it all the damn time on Heroes, and it's because when you get right down to it it's just the greatest power anyone could ever want the writers can't think of a reason why anyone would not use telekinesis if they had it.

Discuss and geek out!

electricitylikesme on

• Options
    Clint EastwoodClint Eastwood My baby's in there someplace She crawled right inRegistered User regular
    edited May 2009
    but could you spin a web and catch thieves just like flies?

I THINK NOT

Clint Eastwood on
  • Options
    Squirminator2kSquirminator2k they/them North Hollywood, CARegistered User regular
    edited May 2009
    I'd rather have the ability to shapeshift. Then I could turn into someone or something with the power or ability I want and use that.

BAM. Thread over.

Squirminator2k on
    Jump Leads - a scifi-comedy audiodrama podcast
  • Options
    BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited May 2009
    You could make a lady's clothes fall off with telekenesis. You'd see everything.

You'd see it all.

Bogart on
  • Options
    Just_Bri_ThanksJust_Bri_Thanks Seething with rage from a handbasket.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited May 2009
    Teleportation. Traffic jams would be for mere mortals.

Just_Bri_Thanks on
    ...and when you are done with that; take a folding
    chair to Creation and then suplex the Void.
  • Options
    FalloutFallout GIRL'S DAY WAS PRETTY GOOD WHILE THEY LASTEDRegistered User regular
    edited May 2009
    I'd have to go with being able to fly. What's more super than that? Nothing!

Unless I can pick a combo and go with super strength and toughness, which would be endlessly glorious.

Fallout on
    xcomsig.png
  • Options
    KageraKagera Imitating the worst people. Since 2004Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    I choose Godhood.

Kagera on
    My neck, my back, my FUPA and my crack.
  • Options
    StarcrossStarcross Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Telekinesis would be an awesome power to have for all the real-life situations I find myself in where i need to pick something up but it's all the way over there.

Starcross on
  • Options
    Squirminator2kSquirminator2k they/them North Hollywood, CARegistered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Bogart wrote: »
    You could make a lady's clothes fall off with telekenesis. You'd see everything.

You'd see it all.

Okay, now the thread is over.

Unless someone posts the relevant video. Then it's over then.

Squirminator2k on
    Jump Leads - a scifi-comedy audiodrama podcast
  • Options
    HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Telekinesis is the bestest.

Nothing like the ability to instantly murder people at will.

What's that? You have every super power except telekinesis? That's cool, I just put an invisible blender in your brain instantly. Thanks for playing though.

HappylilElf on
  • Options
    MatrijsMatrijs Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    I've always thought that omnipotence was the unfun, but logically correct answer to the superpower question.

That said, telekinesis kicks ass.

Matrijs on
  • Options
    SzechuanosaurusSzechuanosaurus Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited May 2009
    With suitable powerful telekinesis you could rearrange your molecules into any configuration you wanted and shapeshift if that's your bag.

I mean, granted, you'd need more intimate knowledge of the molecular structure of human biology than God himself but it's not like we're being realistic to begin with.

Szechuanosaurus on
  • Options
    MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Morninglord on
    (PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • Options
    MrMisterMrMister Jesus dying on the cross in pain? Morally better than us. One has to go "all in".Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Telepathy. Is that cute girl at the end of the bar giving you the eye? Well, there's one way to find out. And that way is to forcibly extract the information from her brain. Also, shapeshifting--you could get so laid, so all the time. Wolverine-style healing would be handy to keep you from ever getting cancer or dying in a car crash, or any shit like that. Flying and teleportation would, of course, be useful for getting around, presuming that we're assuming you can use powers publicly without everyone shitting a brick over it.

When it comes down to it, most comic book powers are pretty lame in real life. You shoot fire? Well, I guess you never have to ask for a light. But unless you're robbing banks all the time, you're not going to be using it much. And even if you do want to rob banks: I hear there are these things called guns. They shoot bullets.

MrMister on
  • Options
    HonkHonk Honk is this poster. Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited May 2009
    I want telekinesis so I can physically thank ELM on the other side of the globe, for making this thread.

That's what I'd use it for; Long range physical relationships :D.

Honk on
    PSN: Honkalot
  • Options
    MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Me and telekinetic powers have a special relationship.

I say it is is my bitch and it says yes sir.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UsGwjH0K6WM

Morninglord on
    (PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • Options
    Silas BrownSilas Brown That's hobo style. Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    I want to have the powers of a bat. Being super rich, having a cool utility belt, and super handsome are all awesome.

Silas Brown on
  • Options
    Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    edited May 2009

You'd see it all.

Okay, now the thread is over.

Unless someone posts the relevant video. Then it's over then.

Bam.

Rhesus Positive on
    [Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • Options
    freelancerbobfreelancerbob UKRegistered User regular
    edited May 2009
    many superpowers, sufficiently advanced, can duplicate others to some extent. Hyper-telekinesis, in particular, IS a good choice, granting flight, superstrength, shape shifting, and so on, but the intellect required to master such abilities would be beyond most mortals.

I think I'd ask for super sentience: advanced cognition, senses, and wisdom. I think I could better advance the fate of mankind and sentient beings in general with that over the ability to blow stuff up and punch people through walls.

Edit: Of course, I have the HORRIBLE suspicion I might turn into a Villain, as mad scientists and DOCTORs tend to end up evil. Maybe someone should start a BLOG about this, something cheerful we could all SING ALONG to.

freelancerbob on
    What is this thing that is happening here.
  • Options
    BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited May 2009
    I would get Squirrel Girl's powers. She's feisty, has a sidekick that can bury nuts for winter and pushes Doctor Doom around because she can.

Bogart on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    I would get Squirrel Girl's powers. She's feisty, has a sidekick that can bury nuts for winter and pushes Doctor Doom around because she can.

I'm furry for Squirrel Girl.

Silas Brown on
  • Options
    Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    I think being able to comprehend all languages might be the geekiest superpower, and it's one that I covet almost daily.

I think there's a PA comic about it somewhere.

Rhesus Positive on
    [Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • Options
    DarkCrawlerDarkCrawler Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    With suitable powerful telekinesis you could rearrange your molecules into any configuration you wanted and shapeshift if that's your bag.

I mean, granted, you'd need more intimate knowledge of the molecular structure of human biology than God himself but it's not like we're being realistic to begin with.

Well, that would probably kill you either way, kind of like teleportation. :P

But yeah, telekinesis is the bestest power unless we go to stuff like reality warping or something.

DarkCrawler on
  • Options
    TeaSpoonTeaSpoon Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Interesting you should make this thread, ELM, because I have thought about this subject a lot.

Stuff not in the telekinesis handbook: I'd like the bend reality. Or maybe control over space itself. Or the power to break the laws of thermodynamics and create matter/energy. Maybe the ability to control time, including time travel or the ability to look into the future. Or, as someone mentioned before, teleportation.

It'd also be awesome to have magic-based powers. I'd be able to turn my back on physics and natural laws and use an entirely different ruleset.

TeaSpoon on
  • Options
    freelancerbobfreelancerbob UKRegistered User regular
    edited May 2009
    TeaSpoon wrote: »
    Interesting you should make this thread, ELM, because I have thought about this subject a lot.

Stuff not in the telekinesis handbook: I'd like the bend reality. Or maybe control over space itself. Or the power to break the laws of thermodynamics and create matter/energy. Maybe the ability to control time, including time travel or the ability to look into the future. Or, as someone mentioned before, teleportation.

It'd also be awesome to have magic-based powers. I'd be able to turn my back on physics and natural laws and use an entirely different ruleset.

But not Vancian, because screw having to spend an hour each morning wrestling with complex arcane formulae.

freelancerbob on
    What is this thing that is happening here.
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    If I had telekinesis I would summon the meteors because my reign had gone on long enough.

Honk on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    If I had telekinesis, I'd use it for (consensual) bondage purposes. Sure, you could be bound and gagged by rope... or you could be bound and gagged by my very will.

Silas Brown on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    If I had telekinesis, I'd use it for (consensual) bondage purposes. Sure, you could be bound and gagged by rope... or you could be bound and gagged by my very will.

You could affect the brain chemistry of people to make them consent!

Honk on
  • Options
    DarkCrawlerDarkCrawler Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Time control powers would by the way be a lot better then Telekinesis. You could stop time, make it go faster, go back if you made a mistake in something, go forward if you want to find out the lottery numbers or something, or if you just want to see awesome historical stuff happen in real time.

DarkCrawler on
  • Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    I think being able to comprehend all languages might be the geekiest superpower, and it's one that I covet almost daily.

I think there's a PA comic about it somewhere.

There's a Gospel about it too.

KalTorak on
  • Options
    poshnialloposhniallo Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    In the Wild Cards books, there's some scientists who say all the super-powers are all TK, just limited by the person's mind. So if you have fire powers, you have subconsciously-controlled TK that excites molecules in stuff, so it seems like you are the Human Torch but actually it's TK.

Also, when I used to GM Paranoia, TK became a really cheesy mutant power, because anyone who had it would just pull the pins out of other people's grenades, or pull the trigger on someone's laser pistol while still in the holster...

poshniallo on
    I figure I could take a bear.
  • Options
    DisDis Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Screw Telekinesis.
    I rather choose Magnetic-kinesis like MAGNETO.

And yes, let me remind all of you Xorneto kill Jean Grey(The Most Power Telekinesis due to her Pheonix Power) with the power of Magnetism.

Dis on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    Shazkar ShadowstormShazkar Shadowstorm Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    to aid in my real life, i would go with telepathy
    because in the context of real life, that power would help me out shit tons in being successful in whatever I want to do

Shazkar Shadowstorm on
    poo
  • Options
    Richard_DastardlyRichard_Dastardly Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Having command over sea creatures would be infinitely useful.

Maybe not infinitely... but I would rule coastal communities and small islands.

Richard_Dastardly on
  • Options
    redxredx I(x)=2(x)+1 whole numbersRegistered User regular
    edited May 2009
    I mostly just want a better brain. It's be great if I could pull out images and ideas and what not, without all that mucking about trying to draw, program or whatever. Or install languages or skills on the fly. Or get it to tell my body what to do with some measure repeatability. Actually have some sort of control over things like neurotransmitters and such, and be able to hook directly up to computers without all the mucking about with what passes as human interfaces devices these days.

Like, something to put my mind in that's got a decent API, documentation and extensibility.

Telekinesis wouldn't be bad though. If you've got enough resolution, feedback and control you can basically do anything. It'd be nice if I didn't have to think about the individual electrons and atom's I'd be. Just think about it on the macro physics/chemistry level, and let whatever's actually happening on the atomic level take care of itself.

telepathy too frequently has issues not being able to turn it off. I don't really want to know all the horrible inner thoughts of people I care about.

redx on
    They moistly come out at night, moistly.
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Dis wrote: »
    Screw Telekinesis.

And yes, let me remind all of you Xorneto kill Jean Grey(The Most Power Telekinesis due to her Pheonix Power) with the power of Magnetism.

Why choose Magnetic powers, being able to affect only metal objects, when with telekinesis you can affect all objects? This seems highly illogical.

Honk on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    I would choose charm and luck.

Morninglord on
  • Options
    edited May 2009

I make my own luck... with telekinesis.

Silas Brown on
  • Options
    Just_Bri_ThanksJust_Bri_Thanks Seething with rage from a handbasket.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited May 2009
    redx wrote: »
    I mostly just want a better brain. It's be great if I could pull out images and ideas and what not, without all that mucking about trying to draw, program or whatever. Or install languages or skills on the fly. Or get it to tell my body what to do with some measure repeatability. Actually have some sort of control over things like neurotransmitters and such, and be able to hook directly up to computers without all the mucking about with what passes as human interfaces devices these days.

Like, something to put my mind in that's got a decent API, documentation and extensibility.

I want a projector too. I mean it would be great if I could put a presentation together in my head, but I would need to show it to people. :P

Just_Bri_Thanks on
    ...and when you are done with that; take a folding
    chair to Creation and then suplex the Void.
  • Options
    edited May 2009

I make my own luck... with telekinesis.

And charm too, just throw around some receptors and stuff in other peoples brains and they'll eventually get the sensation of being charmed. Just some trial and error and a million dead test subjects before you know how to do it right, but that's life right? :winky:

Honk on
  • Options
    DisDis Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Honk wrote: »
    Dis wrote: »
    Screw Telekinesis.

Why choose Magnetic powers, being able to affect only metal objects, when with telekinesis you can affect all objects? This seems highly illogical.

Actually no.
    With Magnetic Powers I could create and control all forms of machines.
    Like create and control endless Nano-Machines which would allow me to do anything I want.

And Telekinesis in theory is a weak source of energy.
    In comics they make it a limitless form of energy.
    But in theory it should be limited by one's mind just like Telepathy.
    Where overuse of it will make ur nose bleed and die.

Telekinesis being more powerful than a physcial form of energy like Cyclops Optic Energy Blast is bullshit.

Dis on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
This discussion has been closed.