As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Unofficially Official... PSP is a Go!

m3km3k Registered User regular
edited June 2009 in Games and Technology
http://www.engadget.com/2009/05/30/sonys-psp-go-leaks-out-before-e3-is-obviously-a-go/

sony-psp-go-small.jpg

Look up there, folks. That's the future of Sony's hopes and dreams in the handheld gaming sector. With just hours to go before the company's official E3 2009 press event, it looks like the pieces are all coming together. First a UMD-less game release, then a highly credible mole giving the PSP Go a name, and now -- live action shots. The images here were sourced from an obviously slipped June 2009 Qore video, and aside from giving us a look at the slider-based system, we're also told that it'll tout 16GB of internal memory, built-in Bluetooth and an undisclosed memory slot. If all goes well, it'll ship this Fall for a price to be determined, and it's actually not slated to replace the PSP-3000, as both of 'em will attempt to live on store shelves harmoniously... at least for awhile. Oh, and don't worry -- we'll be on hand in LA to bring you all the impressions we can muster early next week.

I've recently been turned on to iphone gaming. If sony puts together something similar I would like.

Et tu, Brute?
m3k on

• EshEsh Tending bar. FFXIV. Motorcycles. Portland, ORRegistered User regular
    edited May 2009
    That is one cheap looking handheld. The aesthetic is terrible.

Esh on
  • elliotw2elliotw2 Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    It's a PSP, just no discs, you buy them through one of the three playstation stores now.

It is also the most ugly design I've seen in a long time

elliotw2 on
    camo_sig2.pngXBL:Elliotw3|PSN:elliotw2
  • Zombie MonkeyZombie Monkey Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pQ-EtvIhFRU

Youtube vid from the quore video showing it in motion

Zombie Monkey on
    League of Legends - Enzo III
  • MoioinkMoioink Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    I'll be sticking to my custom firmware PSP 2000. The ergonomics look very iffy in those shots and it's not the prettiest either.

Moioink on
  • elliotw2elliotw2 Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Right, I was thinking the same thing, but with my launch 1000 model. She's not failed me yet, and I see no reason to move to this ugly thing

elliotw2 on
    camo_sig2.pngXBL:Elliotw3|PSN:elliotw2
  • RakaiRakai Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    There's also the horrendous analog placement. It's looks like they just copied the crappy concept art from all the websites posting the rumor. I'll be sticking with my 1st generation model.

Rakai on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]XBL: Rakayn | PS3: Rakayn | Steam ID
  • KlykaKlyka DO you have any SPARE BATTERIES?Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    my hand is used to the PSP 2000 analog stick placement but seeing this thing?

my hand will break after about 5 minutes of gaming.

Klyka on
    SC2 EU ID Klyka.110
    lTDyp.jpg
    edited May 2009
    It's really not THAT much smaller than a normal PSP. What's the point? You can put it your pocket? Does anyone still care about that kind of thing?

Esh on
  • greeblegreeble Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Wow talk about disappointing design. I hope to god it looks better in person.... One thing that is interesting is that it has bluetooth support.... Does this mean we can use ps3 controllers on it?

greeble on
    PSN/steam/battle.net: greeble XBL: GreebleX

Let me tell you about Demon's Souls....
    I’ll tell you what happens in Demon’s Souls when you die. You come back as a ghost with your health capped at half. And when you keep on dying, the alignment of the world turns black and the enemies get harder. That’s right, when you fail in this game, it gets harder. Why? Because fuck you is why.
  • XagarathXagarath Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    That does not look comfortable to use.
    Hopefully it'll knock down the price of the older models and I can just buy one of them.

Xagarath on
  • RainbowDespairRainbowDespair Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Yeah, it looks like that would be rather uncomfortable to hold for any period of time.

RainbowDespair on
  • JebralJebral The guy nobody pays attention to Down South in the land of free thinkingRegistered User regular
    edited May 2009
    You know, I have bought and sold a PSP 2 times now. Something very, very nice looking comes along. I get a PSP, try to play it, then never finish it and sell the thing off because it is so massively uncomfortable to me to use.

Maybe this will be different. Looks like a step up to me.

Jebral on
    steam_sig.png
    edited May 2009
    Jebral wrote: »
    You know, I have bought and sold a PSP 2 times now. Something very, very nice looking comes along. I get a PSP, try to play it, then never finish it and sell the thing off because it is so massively uncomfortable to me to use.

Step up how? Looks like that thing would make my thumbs fall right off. I also hate those sliding designs. They tend to break really easily. Ala my old Helio Ocean.

Esh on
  • psyck0psyck0 Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Remember the DS reveal, guys. That looked totally different than the DS ended up being.

psyck0 on
    Play Smash Bros 3DS with me! 4399-1034-5444
    steam_sig.png
  • Rex DartRex Dart Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    I really don't see why everyone seems to hate the thing. It looks fine to me. Although I was never a fan of the original PSP's design.

My only concern is that the screen still looks really vulnerable. I had hoped that any redesigned PSP would find a way to keep the screen safer.

Rex Dart on
    edited May 2009
    psyck0 wrote: »
    Remember the DS reveal, guys. That looked totally different than the DS ended up being.

That's an actual photo and video of it in action. How do you figure it's going to look any different?

Esh on
  • FyreWulffFyreWulff YouRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited May 2009
    Sony, it's time to let that horrendous DPAD go

Please

for the love of god

FyreWulff on
    edited May 2009
    Rex Dart wrote: »
    I really don't see why everyone seems to hate the thing. It looks fine to me. Although I was never a fan of the original PSP's design.

My only concern is that the screen still looks really vulnerable. I had hoped that any redesigned PSP would find a way to keep the screen safer.

Just buy one of those those thin screen protectors like I have for my iPhone.

Esh on
  • JebralJebral The guy nobody pays attention to Down South in the land of free thinkingRegistered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Esh wrote: »
    Jebral wrote: »

Step up how? Looks like that thing would make my thumbs fall right off. I also hate those sliding designs. They tend to break really easily. Ala my old Helio Ocean.

The original placement of the analog stick makes my thumb want to kill itself. There is no way for me to hold it and be comfortable, or enjoy a game that makes me use it.

Jebral on
    steam_sig.png
  • Mr PinkMr Pink I got cats for youRegistered User regular
    edited May 2009
    BOOMERANG CONTROLLERS

Also, that stick placement is terrible. I'd be hitting the d-pad all the time by accident.

Mr Pink on
  • emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Will they be bringing back the black and white squirrels to advertise this thing?

emnmnme on
  • Mr PinkMr Pink I got cats for youRegistered User regular
    edited May 2009
    emnmnme wrote: »
    Will they be bringing back the black and white squirrels to advertise this thing?

And the racism!

Mr Pink on
  • Mmmm... Cocks...Mmmm... Cocks... Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    FyreWulff wrote: »

Please

for the love of god
    It's still my favorite d-pad of all time.
    I've been playing fighters on every console and the D-pad on the playstation is the best one I can use.
    However the one on the PSP is like pushed in more or some such and it's a bit cumbersome.

Mmmm... Cocks... on
  • ze swift classze swift class Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    I think the ugly thing about it is the curved edges on the bottom piece, where the buttons are. It just makes it look fat when it's open, but I can't see them making it any other shape and have it more comfortable to hold. Also, that SONY logo on the top of the screen looks really cramped. They need to move that elsewhere.

That other psp mock up with the monster hunter screen was a ton better looking, but looked a lot less comfortable than this one.

I'm still getting this, but only if it's below 200 bucks.

ze swift class on
  • DisruptorX2DisruptorX2 Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    FyreWulff wrote: »

Please

for the love of god
    It's still my favorite d-pad of all time.
    I've been playing fighters on every console and the D-pad on the playstation is the best one I can use.
    However the one on the PSP is like pushed in more or some such and it's a bit cumbersome.

The D-pad on the 360 is certainly worse. Since the 360 has great analog placement, I never miss it, but its there and its terrible. Since the whole thing is connected, you hit down and it hits over instead instead.

DisruptorX2 on
    1208768734831.jpg
  • Unco-ordinatedUnco-ordinated NZRegistered User regular
    edited May 2009
    I think the ugly thing about it is the curved edges on the bottom piece, where the buttons are. It just makes it look fat when it's open, but I can't see them making it any other shape and have it more comfortable to hold. Also, that SONY logo on the top of the screen looks really cramped. They need to move that elsewhere.

That other psp mock up with the monster hunter screen was a ton better looking, but looked a lot less comfortable than this one.

I'm still getting this, but only if it's below 200 bucks.

Yeah, I'm going to agree with you there. The original PSP was the opposite, it looked great but was pretty uncomfortable to hold for long periods.

After the reaction it's been getting everywhere though, who knows if Sony will keep it? It wouldn't be the first time they've caved in to bad receptions of their designs, even if they were supposedly more comfortable (like the boomerang).

Anyway, this really should've been posted in the OP:
    Some new information?

3.8" screen
    43% lighter than previous version
    16 Gig memory
    Bluetooth support
    No UMD
    Downloads games and movies

NEW METAL GEAR SOLID FOR PSP!!

Unco-ordinated on
    Steam ID - LiquidSolid170 | PSN ID - LiquidSolid
  • DisruptorX2DisruptorX2 Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    I didn't find the original PSP to be uncomfortable, given that I was using the D-pad. The analog nub thing is terrible, but its not required on most of the games I play on it.

DisruptorX2 on
    1208768734831.jpg
  • maximumzeromaximumzero I...wait, what? New Orleans, LARegistered User regular
    edited May 2009
    I guess I'll have to buy a second 2000 or 3000 pretty soon.

I tend to do it with all my handhelds. I have a mint GBA SP & Micro in box in case either one of those were to crap out on me, and as soon as Nintendo says they're stopping production on the DS Lite I'm gonna grab another one of those to put in storage as well.

maximumzero on
    FU7kFbw.png
    Switch: 6200-8149-0919 / Wii U: maximumzero / 3DS: 0860-3352-3335 / eBay Shop
  • KlykaKlyka DO you have any SPARE BATTERIES?Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Guys, don't just focus on the analog stick being terrible to use.

Focus on tying to use the analog stick while keeping your other finger on the L-Button.

For everyone who has a PSP next to him:

Pick the PSP up normally, place your thumb on the analog stick and your index finger on the L-Button.
    Now move your thumb to the right,until you reach the "P" in the "PSP" logo.

That is how you hold this thing D:

Klyka on
    SC2 EU ID Klyka.110
    lTDyp.jpg
  • Radikal_DreamerRadikal_Dreamer Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    So basically they took the worst phone design and made a PSP to look like it. Bah. Anyway, the coolest part of the announcement is that they're not erasing the other PSPs with UMDs. This is just a different model. This just gives developers another location to sell games (online), and it means they may get a bigger cut of profits because of it.

Radikal_Dreamer on
    theincidentsig.jpg
  • LunkerLunker Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    ...huh. I'd have to actually get my hands on one to see for myself, but like everyone else is saying, the ergonomics look terrible, especially for that analog nub. I'm also trying to figure out the benefits of having the system slid shut while it's still on. For watching a movie or TV show, maybe, but would games just use the L and R buttons?

After the mystery of this thing going on for years, finally seeing this is kind of a letdown. Unless there's some miraculous new content, there's nothing that would get me to swap off my custom-firm PSP-2000 with separate memory sticks, but I guess it's the same appeal as the DSi: Rebooting the look and adding some new features to try and spur new customers instead of trying to get existing PSP owners to upgrade.

Actually, the cool part is that because it's finally ditched the UMD drive, we can push more digital distro. I'm curious to see how pricing will roll out in the coming months.

Lunker on
    Tweet my Face: @heyitslunker | Save money at CheapAssGamer (not an affiliate link)
  • parabolaparabola Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Quite possibly the ugliest handheld since the Lynx.

parabola on
  • Radikal_DreamerRadikal_Dreamer Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Klyka wrote: »

Focus on tying to use the analog stick while keeping your other finger on the L-Button.

Pick the PSP up normally, place your thumb on the analog stick and your index finger on the L-Button.

Holding it in my hands and looking at the picture, I'm pretty sure you're completely wrong. The nub wouldn't be down by the P. Putting my thumb pretty much exactly where the nub is in the picture is actually WAY more comfortable than the way they have it now (where you have to have your thumb pulled back towards your hand in a weird way).

Radikal_Dreamer on
    theincidentsig.jpg
  • MinionOfCthulhuMinionOfCthulhu Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Ugh. Not great to look at, and I like how when folded up it'll protect the controls but not the screen. I know they probably don't want to 'copy' the DS with a clamshell design, but it's very nice to not have to worry about scuffing up the screen.
    I'll stick with my PSP1000.

MinionOfCthulhu on
    mgssig.jpg1152dt.gif
    edited May 2009
    To those down on the current PSP's d-pad/nub this is your friend.

Moioink on
  • VeganVegan Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Anyway, the coolest part of the announcement is that they're not erasing the other PSPs with UMDs. This is just a different model. This just gives developers another location to sell games (online), and it means they may get a bigger cut of profits because of it.

So I have to buy two PSPs if I want to play the older games AND the new games? See, I've already got a pretty good amount of UMD games from various clearances but I haven't got a PSP yet. Is there any way to get these on a PSP Go?

Vegan on
    steam_sig.png
  • Unco-ordinatedUnco-ordinated NZRegistered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Klyka wrote: »

Holding it in my hands and looking at the picture, I'm pretty sure you're completely wrong. The nub wouldn't be down by the P. Putting my thumb pretty much exactly where the nub is in the picture is actually WAY more comfortable than the way they have it now (where you have to have your thumb pulled back towards your hand in a weird way).

Exactly what I was thinking. I'm not sure how you could even make that comparison, the PSP Go is pretty obviously a lot smaller than the original PSP.

Vegan: Wait and see until they actually announce the system. There've been rumours that there'll be a way to transfer UMD's onto a memory stick, so hopefully that's the case.

Unco-ordinated on
    Steam ID - LiquidSolid170 | PSN ID - LiquidSolid
  • ZiggymonZiggymon Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    There's some high res screenshots on Eurogamer. Honestly I like the design but I still have the fear of if I own one of these that the screen is going to get damaged. I would have loved a clamshell design even something like mobile phones had with a screen for when its open and an alt. screen when its closed.

The important thing again is the software and while I can't stand UMD's if they are like 75% cheaper in shops than the usual £29.99 handheld title then this device won't get far.

Ziggymon on
    edited May 2009
    Vegan wrote: »
    Anyway, the coolest part of the announcement is that they're not erasing the other PSPs with UMDs. This is just a different model. This just gives developers another location to sell games (online), and it means they may get a bigger cut of profits because of it.

So I have to buy two PSPs if I want to play the older games AND the new games? See, I've already got a pretty good amount of UMD games from various clearances but I haven't got a PSP yet. Is there any way to get these on a PSP Go?

Just get a PSP 2000 and put custom firmware on it. You can access the PSN store from the current PSPs, they are not being cut off from digital distribution.

Moioink on
  • VeganVegan Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Moioink wrote: »
    Just get a PSP 2000 and put custom firmware on it. You can access the PSN store from the current PSPs, they are not being cut off from digital distribution.

Wait, if these new online-only PSP games are going to be available on older PSPs, what the hell is the point of the PSP Go?

Vegan on
    steam_sig.png