As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The Siege of Nifbludheim Brewery (Dungeons and Dwarves in-game thread)

• Options
    RankenphileRankenphile Passersby were amazed by the unusually large amounts of blood.Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited June 2009
    As the macetail locked in combat with his companions was pushed away by the force of Arnu's attack, Bobo roars and lashes out and strikes at the beast.

(Spirit's Shield, triggered by the Macetail leaving the square adjacent to Bobo without shifting.)
    attack roll: 1d20+12 → [18,12] = (30) vs reflex, 8 damage, and one ally within 5 squares (Brunei) regains 6 hit points.
    Further spurned by the macetail's onslaught against Brunei, Bruin leaps into action. Pushing past his allies, Bobo moves into combat between the two monsters (to V-15, moving through allies to not provoke opportunity attacks) and then lets loose a primal, ancient roar, shimmering and appearing to channel the force of a great ancestral force of nature. Unleashing this force upon the northernmost macetail (unless, of course, the attack before killed it, in which case it would attack the southern one), Bobo drives his vicious claws deep into its flesh in an attack so savage it bolsters the mettle of the allies nearest him.
    Call to the Ancestral Warrior encounter power
    Attack roll: 1d20+12; → [11,12] = (23) vs reflex
    Damage Roll: 1d10+8 → [8,8] = (16)

If hit, allies adjacent to Bobo get +2 power bonus to all defenses.

Proud of his handiwork, Bruin calls upon one last spirit, seemingly as an afterthought. With a word, Brunei's wounds seem to mend themselves by a miracle, and Diggin is refreshed as well.
    Minor action - Healing Spirit encounter power, Brunei gets to spend a healing surge, and Diggin, adjacent to Bobo, is healed for 2d6 (2d6 → [6,3] = (9)) hp

"Not bad for a day's work, eh lads? That's how you keep these twats from pinching our liquor!"

edit: oh crap, didn't see that push in time. Uh... well, I'll let you figure out how to rule on that, Quetzi.

Rankenphile on
    8406wWN.png
  • Options
    As7As7 Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Unfortunately, Rank. I don't think being pushed or pulled gives opportunity attacks.

As7 on
    XBOX Live: Arsenic7
    Secret Satan
  • Options
    MeldingMelding Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    From what i remember forced movements of any kind don't cause Attacks of opportunity unless noted otherwise.

Melding on
  • Options
    RankenphileRankenphile Passersby were amazed by the unusually large amounts of blood.Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited June 2009
    It's not an opportunity attack per se

it's an at will interrupt that specifically is triggered by "An enemy leaves a square adjacent to your
    spirit companion without shifting"

Rankenphile on
    8406wWN.png
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Oh, well carry on then.

Melding on
  • Options
    StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Bobo's surprise assault catches the macetail right at its weakpoint, unleashing a torrent of fresh blood and a savage howl from the beast, which slumps to the floor, dead. His second attack slams in to the second macetail, opening it up at the side as the allies near him are bolstered and healed.

All of a sudden, everyone hears a loud thumping sound coming from the corner of the room. The sound appears to be coming out of a barrel of ale, which suddenly bursts open, unleashing a small flood of ale and a rather soggy dwarf, armed with a large crossbow which he apparently had been slamming against the sides of the barrel to extricate himself.

Darkrock Granitehill has entered the game!

Brewery6-12.jpg

Round 3
    Darkrock
    Graniton
    Brunei
    Hobgoblins
    Diggin
    Arnu
    Macetail
    Bruin

Straightzi on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Haha.

SURPRISE ATTACK!

As7 on
    Secret Satan
  • Options
    StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Yeah you better believe that motherfucker has combat advantage.

Straightzi on
  • Options
    Fists Off FurryFists Off Furry __BANNED USERS regular
    edited June 2009
    OMG THE GAYDOM. never before have I witnessed such a thing. 5 pages to get moving, 4 pages to open a door?!?! incredible!!! you guys are soooooooooooooo gay, wait does that offend you? oh, so you're homophobic too? WTG just offend everyone why don't you. you might as well, it wouldn't be as huge a blunder as your playing has been so far. Yeah lets post a post in the wild west and expect no one to make fun of us. Yeah let's throw the mage into the fray first, yeah let's run inbetween a bunch of mobs without thinking. INCREDIBLE! hey aren't dungeon masters supposed to be sadistic assholes-apparently so! idiotic, dumb, stupid in every post to an ooc request-ding ding ding! wtg megalomaniac! let me do you all a favor and whittle your spirits down to nothing. you know everyone is going to quit by the end of this coming week anyhow. hey maybe i should get banned. DO THAT THANG cardboard tube, goddamn i hate you-nothing else to say (you know why i hate).

wild wild west indeed. where indians and queerfolk are still branded and persecuted- where the horses are raped and the women stolen.

go to hell

Fists Off Furry on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    one used to be able to speak one's mind in SE++

Fists Off Furry on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Who the hell is the new guy? Why is he so new? Or what's his name, the guy everyone assumes the new people are when they say dumb things.

Melding on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    who are you asking? i'm probably the only one paying attention to this pathetic thread.

Fists Off Furry on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    It's a general question. Anyone can answer. Like all plays in Trivial Pursuit.

Melding on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Well I've waited a while. So I guess my response here proves that no one is paying attention.

Fists Off Furry on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    You win this round Mysterious Stranger, but we will meet again.

Melding on
  • Options
    Cosmic SombreroCosmic Sombrero Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Melding wrote: »
    Who the hell is the new guy? Why is he so new? Or what's his name, the guy everyone assumes the new people are when they say dumb things.

You've actually had this exact same conversation with him before.

Cosmic Sombrero on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Melding wrote: »

You've actually had this exact same conversation with him before.

What? Who are you new guy?

Melding on
  • Options
    ZoelZoel I suppose... I'd put it on Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    in a shocking turn of events melding, he is you

ok not really

Zoel on
    A magician gives you a ring that, when worn, will let you see the world as it truly is.
    However, the ring will never leave your finger, and you will be unable to ever describe to another living person what you see.
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    That wouldn't be shocking at all.

Melding on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    why do I get the feeling he's another fucking lame moriarty alt

Rankenphile on
    8406wWN.png
  • Options
    ZoelZoel I suppose... I'd put it on Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    because you haven't read the thread where his identity was already revealed i guess

Zoel on
    A magician gives you a ring that, when worn, will let you see the world as it truly is.
    However, the ring will never leave your finger, and you will be unable to ever describe to another living person what you see.
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    BEHOLD MY TRUE FORM!

He was some jackass no one cared about or remembers. Hi Rank.

Melding on
  • Options
    StaleStale Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Fuck that guy. Back to the dwarves.

Darkrock looks moist and upset, glaring at the party of dwarves and hobgoblins. He deftly slides along the wall (to Y-20, avoiding provoking) and seems to, as if by magic, load and fire his cross bow.

Cloud of Steel
    Burst 5, capturing both hobgoblins and the macetail. Roll to-hit on each. [dice+modifier+combat advantage] 16+9+2=27 13+9+2=24 18+9+2=29

damage roll 1d8 + 8 + 1d6 = 6+8+6 = 20 points to each target [dice+modifier+combat advantage]

"A dwarf can't even get a few moments rest without having to clean up after amateurs, so be it."

Stale on
    easysig2.jpg
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    The explosive blast of the crossbow from the surprise dwarf catches all three of the enemy combatants off guard. They turn to face him just in time to get a face full of fine dwarven steel, ripping great big holes in each of them. The center hobgoblin, while injured, appears fairly unphased by this assault, but the macetail and the other hobgoblin are both looking rather ragged and bloodied.

Brewery6-13.jpg

Graniton
    Brunei
    Hobgoblins
    Diggin
    Arnu
    Macetail
    Bruin

Straightzi on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Graniton looks around the room quickly muttering himself "The hell do these things keep coming from?"

Then he dashes a bit towards the lone hobgoblin (to x13 avoiding difficult terrain) then uses his curses the goblinoid, then uses Eldritch blast.

17+11=28 vs reflex
    unless there is some outside bonus I'm not remembering.

If that hits he takes 8+7 from the attack then 1 from curse.

Melding on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Graniton's blast of arcane power goes straight through the goblin, leaving a gaping burning hole in him as he crumples to the ground, another body to add to the pile.

Brewery6-14.jpg

Brunei
    Hobgoblins
    Diggin
    Arnu
    Macetail
    Bruin

Straightzi on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    fuck yeah, i just wanted to get that guy out of the way, lest he do something useful.

Melding on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    I'll admit it, part of my reasoning for choosing hobgoblins as one of the aggressors here is because they have a level 8 minion

Straightzi on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    I love minions, they make everyone feel like they're doing something. Helps moral greatly, plus when not paid attention to they can actually do stuff and everyone is like "what the fuck! he was just a minion!"

Melding on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Yo, Cosmic Sombrero, you cocksucker, post your actions or else you'll be systematically removed.

Straightzi on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Brunei quickly maneuvers himself to behind the three remaining combatants, swinging at the macetail and catching one of the hobgoblins with the follow through before the third can put up a block. The central hobgoblin, shocked and bloodied by the force of the blow, reacts immediately, retreating from Brunei and unleashing a poisoned dart at him, which flies past his face and clatters to the ground harmlessly behind him. Just then, a pair of sword wielding hobgoblins come down the hall you entered by, marching up to the door, one of them swinging his sword into Bruin, but missing by a head, chipping into the doorframe instead. The glaive wielding goblin standing next to Brunei then swings his weapon, supported by the one behind him, but lands a blow against the stony floor, while the other hobgoblin shifts towards his macetail servant, swinging his glaive wildly at Brunei and Darkrock both, and landing a quick hit upon Brunei with his glaive, knocking him off balance and pushing him back towards his allies, although his dwarven surefootedness manages to prevent him from crashing into them.

Notes: 9 damage to Brunei.

Brewery6-15.jpg

Diggin
    Arnu
    Macetail
    Bruin

Straightzi on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    "Close that door and hold them back the best you can, Bruin. This overgrown armadillo needs to be put down."

Move to 19W.
    Going to use my Forward observer ability on the nearest hob G, for Arnu. Even if the enemy has cover from the macetail it won't count for Arnu till the end of my next turn.
    "Give them all a taste of what they've come for, Brewer!"

Using SUNDER ARMOR on the Macetail.

Rolled a 17+13=30 vs AC!
    Damage: 11 Damage. Not much BUT...
    ...Until the end of my next turn ANYONE can score a crit on the macetail on an 18-20, so pound away.

"That ought to put a chink in its hide. STRIKE!"

As7 on
    Secret Satan
  • Options
    HorseshoeHorseshoe Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Arnu bellowed low like thunder, and the pipes and shattered remains of distilling equipment in the brewery began to spark furiously.

"Take Courage, and show 'em what your right arm is for, lads!"

Lightning poured forth from the spigot of a cracked tank, bathing the macetail and nearby hobgoblin in the cold-filtered fury of Nifbludheim.
    Time for some Divine Bolts on them Hobgoblins

vs. Macetail 16 + 10 + 1 (resonating covenant = 27 vs reflex
    vs. nearest Hobgoblin 8 + 10 = 18 vs reflex

Damage = 1d6 + 6 + 2 (two targets, covenant of wrath), 6+8=14 lightning damage

i should know better than to use real dice... somebody better make good use of arse's sunder armor on that macetail!

also Courage may have the best beer slogan in history. Unless you count Colt 45 as beer.

Horseshoe on
    dmsigsmallek3.jpg
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Diggin leaps into action, driving his weapon into the tough armor plating of the macetail. He hits, sinking in, and then pulls a great section of the armor off, hard bony plating revealing bloody flesh underneath. This all seems to be rather too much for the macetail, who roars in anguish and tries to move to continue to fight before slumping to the ground, defeated.

Notes: it had exactly 11 hp left. And Arnu, if you want to redo your turn, feel free to do so, because, well, this changes things.

Brewery6-16.jpg

Arnu
    Bruin

Straightzi on
  • Options
    HorseshoeHorseshoe Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    you can just keep what i did and adjust the target(s) accordingly.

Horseshoe on
    dmsigsmallek3.jpg
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Arnu focuses his energy on the two remaining hobgoblins in the room, sending a pair of divine bolts hurtling their way. The first bolt hits its mark with ease, the goblinoid recoiling in pain, while the second hobgoblin quickly ducks out of the way, a frosty brew bolt shattering against the wall of the storage room.

Brewery6-16.jpg

Bruin

Straightzi on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    "Our work here is almost done, men. Be hasty and put these goblins in the ground!"

As7 on
    Secret Satan
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Bruin shifts out of the doorway to V15, and Bobo dashes over to confront the hobgoblins, moving to T15.

With that, Bobo lashes out and attacjs the hobgoblin immediately in front of him, biting and clawing furiously.
    Watcher's Strike at-will power

attack roll:1d20+12 → [19,12] = (31) (versus reflex)
    damage roll: 1d8+8 → [2,8] = (10)

I and allies gain a +1 bonus to attack rolls and +5 bonus to perception checks while adjacent to Bobo until end of next turn.

Rankenphile on
    8406wWN.png
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    As Bruin steps aside, the charging bear spirit manages to get the drop on the hobgoblin, proceeding shortly to rend him limb from limb, leaving a sticky hobgoblin mess to occupy to the doorway.

Brewery6-17.jpg

Darkrock
    Graniton
    Brunei
    Hobgoblins
    Diggin
    Arnu
    Macetail
    Bruin

Straightzi on