As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The Siege of Nifbludheim Brewery (Dungeons and Dwarves in-game thread)

• Options
    MeldingMelding Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Graniton starts to look over the bodies "Aye, they seem to already be smelling up the joint pretty foul. Also, I would liek to note that these things don't very much seem to be green. More of a reddish brown."

Melding on
  • Options
    Cosmic SombreroCosmic Sombrero Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Brunei snorts, sending down a splatter of blood. "Bedrock, everything here is a little reddish now."

Cosmic Sombrero on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    "Well, Gore aside i mean. Came in here expecting 'green skins' and all we got is some dinosaurs and some brown guys. I'm a little disappointed."

Melding on
  • Options
    Cosmic SombreroCosmic Sombrero Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    "'All we got is some dinosaurs.' Some Dwarves don't know how to appreciate the finer things in life, like killing a giant lizard."

Cosmic Sombrero on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    "I was expecting Green giants. Fucking giants always come to wreck up our nicer things. Instead all we get is some red skinned hairy men, and dinosaurs. I will admit the dinosaurs was a nicer touch, but not a giant"

Melding on
  • Options
    As7As7 Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    So after a rest, Diggin searches the bodies for loot and clues.

As7 on
    XBOX Live: Arsenic7
    Secret Satan
  • Options
    StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Searching the bodies, you find a number of goblinoid weapons, including a good dozen poison darts remaining from the glaive wielders. The weapons don't appear to be magical, but one of the two is wearing a wicked pair of spiked gloves that look rather well cared for, compared to the equipment everyone else is holding. Additionally, amidst all the broken kegs and bottles found inside the dinosaurs saddlebags, there is a folded up leather belt engraved with runic wards.

Straightzi on
  • Options
    HorseshoeHorseshoe Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    "Dear gods look at this... these dinosaurs are wearing saddles!"

Horseshoe on
    dmsigsmallek3.jpg
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Diggin picks out the leather belt and examines it.

"Graniton, old boy, whut'ya think of this belt here?"

As7 on
    Secret Satan
  • Options
    StaleStale Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Darkrock surveys the assorted loot with a dis-interested outward appearance.

Fuck that, he's a living pawnbroker.

Insight roll 12+10=22 Arcana roll 17+4=21 Perception roll 11+14=25

Dice+modifier

Stale on
    easysig2.jpg
  • Options
    StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    The belt and the gloves are both magical, everything else is pretty ordinary hobgoblin trash.

Pretty decent poison on the darts, a clearish green fluid. You think it might be carrion crawler brain juice, but you're not quite sure what that does anymore.

And the beer is good. All of the liquor in this room appears to be of middling to low quality, in dwarven terms at least. All manner of common ale and such, but no mead or higher shelf spirits.

Straightzi on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Graniton looks over the belt he's being shown scrutinizing over it.

Arcana tells you what it does right? If so i take an arcana check.

10+12 = 22

Melding on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    The belt is a reinforcing belt. It prevents you from being coup de grace'd, as well as being impossible to remove from you while you're alive.

Straightzi on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    "Well Diggin, Seems to be a belt that should protect you from being killed when sleeping or knocked out, however once on it never really comes off. I guess until you die. Or That guy would be still wearing it.." Graniton trails off looking around at the other things.

Melding on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    "Well you won't find me wearing an un-removable belt anytime soon. Put a damper in me love life, that.
    Is everyone rested? Then lets proceed. I remember right there was another room like this one across the hall."

As7 on
    Secret Satan
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Wait a sec

This is a non-combat situation in a play by post

Those are the things that actually tend to work out reasonably!

What sort of bizarro world have I traveled to that this is on page three?

Straightzi on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Maybe everyone suddenly got busy?

Melding on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    I know I kinda did.

I'll be back on my game soon, straights.

Horseshoe on
    dmsigsmallek3.jpg
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    No fuck you this shit ain't dying a peasant's death on the third page.

Straightzi on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Arnu muddled about the room, straightening things up a bit, and saying various prayers over the liquors that had not survived their harrowing ordeal at the hands of their enemies.

"We should continue, lads... I would expect there's a lot more where these came from. And every moment we waste, our sacred Brewery and its contents are under greater threat. Let's move!"
    during his short rest, Arnu spends one healing surge to get back to full. he has 9 left.

Horseshoe on
    dmsigsmallek3.jpg
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    "I don't suppose any of you ladies has come across a recipe book by chance?.... No?.... Just curious."

Darkrock stealthily peeks out the northern door to ascertain what awaits him.

He mumbles under his breath, "Forget I mentioned it..."

Stealth 32 (17 + 15)

Perception 34 (nat 20 + 14)

Stale on
    easysig2.jpg
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Stale:
    There are a few hobgoblins arguing with each other, each holding large lengths of chain, while another hobgoblin watches them. Behind them is what appears at first to be a large pile of rock and stone, but you soon see to be a living, breathing creature, which is attached to the chains in some manner. The monster is uninterested in you, and the hobgoblins appear to not notice your presence, nor care, for that matter.

Straightzi on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Darkrock retreats back into the room. And loads his crossbow.

"Well ladies, we seem to have more piggys and a walking slag pile. As you seem short some muscle, and I need to walk off this spirit headache, I say we work together."

He raises an eye to the group, "at least for the immediate dance party."

Stale on
    easysig2.jpg
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    OOC

can we get a broadened map of what I just relayed?

Stale on
    easysig2.jpg
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    I am quickly realizing this map will not be big enough, as I expand the dungeon further

We're good for now though

Brewery6-29copy.jpg

Hob S are the same guys you remember from before, Hob C is a better armored hobgoblin, armed with a flail, and No ID is the thing that you ain't figured out yet

Straightzi on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    "You skill is to be admired, Rogue... but remember that the ancient recipes of Niflbludheim are sacred, proprietary, and violating them shall bring the wrath of the Royal Institute of Ancient Alcohols."
    In case we need to roll initiative again... Initiative (1d20 6=25)

Horseshoe on
    dmsigsmallek3.jpg
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    You're not in a combat situation yet

You actually have the option of not advancing in that direction at all, the hallway goes the other way too and you've found one door at least

Straightzi on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    well then my vote is for advancing on them

Horseshoe on
    dmsigsmallek3.jpg
  • Options
    RankenphileRankenphile Passersby were amazed by the unusually large amounts of blood.Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited June 2009
    yes

the killing

let's make with it

Rankenphile on
    8406wWN.png
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    "Hmmm...I might just have a plan. Everyone, quickly, behind the kegs! Brunei, once we are in hiding, you will make for us a distraction. Bruin, come with me and we'll take the stragglers from behind once the beast has charged in!"

Diggin leads Bruin and Bobo to 13-S, carefully closing the door behind him, ushering the others to hide.

He peaks around both corners.

As7 on
    Secret Satan
  • Options
    RankenphileRankenphile Passersby were amazed by the unusually large amounts of blood.Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited June 2009
    "Why don't we let Bobo here make the distraction. Even if he takes a few scrapes, he'll come out no worse for the wear. Figger we let him charge right up, take a few shots at em while Darkrock or someone takes a few potshots at em from the back wall, then we let Bobo go into hiding, they charge ol' Darkrock and as soon as they come through the door, we stick em in the back like the fiends they are, eh?"

Rankenphile on
    8406wWN.png
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    The warlock scoffs "Traps and trickery? I'm not much of one to say this, but that seems rather undwarfy, Why not after this go build a house of wood by some trees."

Shaking his head he shrugs "Whatever, I'd get killed if i charged alone, so let's play it your way."

Melding on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    "If'n yer feelin' so high and mighty there, Zapper, why don't you be the one to lob a few shots at em while they charge. Or is that too unsporting of ya?"

Rankenphile on
    8406wWN.png
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    "Ha, Thought you'd never ask. Where do ya want me" Graniton smiles smugly at his fellow dwarves.

Melding on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Darkrock shakes his head and shifts to X-14.

"Bloody amatuers... How about one of you perhaps take a gander at what faces our backs before we charge ahead like a group of silly bitches?"

Stale on
    easysig2.jpg
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    As7 wrote: »
    "Hmmm...I might just have a plan. Everyone, quickly, behind the kegs! Brunei, once we are in hiding, you will make for us a distraction. Bruin, come with me and we'll take the stragglers from behind once the beast has charged in!"

Diggin leads Bruin and Bobo to 13-S, carefully closing the door behind him, ushering the others to hide.

He peaks around both corners.

There's no door to close there, for the record

Y'all shattered it to bits

Straightzi on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    "These creatures are no match for dwarves, they're better suited for humans and elves. least then these beasts might have a sporting chance." Graniton states rather matter-of-fact "Now here Is my plan, I pop out, hit some of the 'green skins' then pull back a bit allowing you lot to get the better of them as whatever else is left to run fool hardy at us. Or plan be, we rush them, I find both to be fine plans."

Melding on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Also here's a map of what's visible. For the record, I'm not moving anybody unless they specifically tell me they're going to move.

Brewery6-30.jpg

Straightzi on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    "Now then, much better. I'd say the tree hugger and flea bag have a solid plan. Let em charge me once they grow tired of the bear. Just make sure you Nancies have something sharp for their backs."

Darkrocks drops back to Y-18

Readied action to fire upon the northern most Pig once the Bear goes in.

Int 23 (9+14)

Easy Target
    Assuming I have combat advantage since they seem not to know I'm there

To Hit: 28 (15+11+2) vs. AC
    Damage if hit: 27 (4+6+7+4+6) 2d8+7+2d6 Target is slowed, and grants Combat Advantage until the end of my next turn.

Stale on
    easysig2.jpg
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    "Darkie, your blades seem to find stronger purchase in the back of the fiends. Why not let the braggart fire from a distance, as he seems to think hiding and shooting from the shadows the dwarfiest way of fighting. That way you can be the first to poke your stickers in their exposed flanks."

Bruin points towards the door (W-13) while positioning himself nearby (U-14). With a quick wave of his hand, he dismisses the spectral bear, who vanishes into dusty air.

Rankenphile on
    8406wWN.png