As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[L4D I & II] More details, link in OP. Also, behave.

• Options
    AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I will still buy this and I'll probably play it a lot just like the first game.

But I will wonder if they plan to support L4D2 or not or if they will just make a third game.

Aegeri on
    The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
  • Options
    rakuenCallistorakuenCallisto Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited June 2009
    hyperpower wrote: »
    And who would have thought it :P
    A co-op game where you slaughter the undead would not be a best seller?

Like I said my opinion only but given all the features they are chucking in (a mere 6 months later now I might add - E3 preview and all) I can't help but feel disappointed - like Left 4 Dead 2 was the game we were supposed to get.
    I agree, when I first got L4D there were plenty of bugs and things that needed fixing, simple things.

What happened to Valve? They had a million updates for TF2 and had planned on it for L4D.. why stop after 1 update, that's all, 1 update?

Like here's the update news for L4D

1) Made boomers invincible to fall damage
    2) Made smoker "better"
    3) Fix'd melee
    4) Release Survival and the map no one plays.
    5) Ok give up time, let's make L4D 2 and make more money.

He'll I'll still buy L4D 2, but I just feel like they jipped us on L4D 1. I got my moneys worth, but damn does it feel like they backshelved it.

I mean come on, 1 map and survival mode for a main update? People don't even play survival anymore.

Gabe was spoon feeding the public about all the DLC you'd get with L4D and we haven't got anything.

rakuenCallisto on
    cbtswoosig.png
  • Options
    Zombie MonkeyZombie Monkey Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    l4d2 seems like the game valve wanted to do, and are doing, i dont personally think there will be a l4d3, definately not a year after l4d2

Zombie Monkey on
    League of Legends - Enzo III
  • Options
    IcemopperIcemopper Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    i dont personally think there will be a l4d3, definately not a year after l4d2

Haha, that's ripe, especially after we all said the exact same thing about L4D and L4D2.

Icemopper on
  • Options
    RobmanRobman Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I like the idea of making L4D2 an expansion pack for the PC and reworking the original campaigns.

Hahah holy shit, imagine the original survivors vs the new survivors battling it out with random AI special infected and zombie hordes. That would be a fun battle.

Robman on
  • Options
    Roland_tHTGRoland_tHTG Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    valve ran out of ideas and the original survivors will be the new infected bosses

Roland_tHTG on
  • Options
    AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    l4d2 seems like the game valve wanted to do, and are doing, i dont personally think there will be a l4d3, definately not a year after l4d2

They said that about the first game as well.

Aegeri on
    The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
  • Options
    tofutofu Registered User regular
    edited June 2009

how do you feel about global climate change?

tofu on
  • Options
    The_ScarabThe_Scarab Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Sorenson wrote: »
    Man, sixty fucking bucks? Definetily smells like EA fucking around with Valve.

Yeah how dare they charge 60 dollars for a full game? Those fuckers.

The_Scarab on
  • Options
    AkimboEGAkimboEG Mr. Fancypants Wears very fine pants indeedRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Robman wrote: »
    I like the idea of making L4D2 an expansion pack for the PC and reworking the original campaigns.

Hahah holy shit, imagine the original survivors vs the new survivors battling it out with random AI special infected and zombie hordes. That would be a fun battle.
    Biiiiillllllll!

AkimboEG on
    Give me a kiss to build a dream on; And my imagination will thrive upon that kiss; Sweetheart, I ask no more than this; A kiss to build a dream on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    I just don't understand why valve would make a sequal to a game, 6 months after it was created..

Especially with only 1 major update and NO DLC for characters, weapons, maps, modes as promised.

They thought outside the box for TF2, why can't they do that for L4D?

Seriously adding another boss or two with a few diff weapons and maybe unlockable clothing for the survivors/bosses would be fucking rad.

Bill in a spy outfit.

rakuenCallisto on
    cbtswoosig.png
  • Options
    corin7corin7 San Diego, CARegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Buying this. I just wish we could get HL games this fast.

corin7 on
  • Options
    SorensonSorenson Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I just don't understand why valve would make a sequal to a game, 6 months after it was created..

Especially with only 1 major update and NO DLC for characters, weapons, maps, modes as promised.

They thought outside the box for TF2, why can't they do that for L4D?
    I'm just going to bitterly attribute it to the console market and EA screeching for more console content. Seems to be plausable enough.

As much as I hate to be PC elitist, thanks a lot you 360 fuckers. :x

Sorenson on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    corin7 wrote: »
    Seriously, let's work on grinding out L4D 2 and make loads of money, instead of working on the long awaited episode 3 and Half-life 3 for our dedicated fans of over a decade!

L4D is ragequit city, what is going to change in a prettier L4D 2 ragequit setting?

Man Valve makes me more upset with them by the day.

rakuenCallisto on
    cbtswoosig.png
  • Options
    acidlacedpenguinacidlacedpenguin Institutionalized Safe in jail.Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    dear god, whenever we're talking about halflife its always "lolvalve time, we'll see it in 40 years" but now that we see L4D2 coming out "in a year" have we all forgotten about valve time?

the way I see it, they have it announced now and they have a release date. They picked it early so that when it comes time for them to release it at the time they actually wanted to release it, it'll already have been pushed back by like a year and a half and it might actually be ready. . .

acidlacedpenguin on
    GT: Acidboogie PSNid: AcidLacedPenguiN
  • Options
    Professor PhobosProfessor Phobos Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    corin7 wrote: »
    Seriously, let's work on grinding out L4D 2 and make loads of money, instead of working on the long awaited episode 3 and Half-life 3 for our dedicated fans of over a decade!

I'm pretty sure the teams are all compartmentalized. So the L4D team, when they were done, chose to start L4D2. The TF2 team continues to crank out free updates. And somewhere, lost in the Himalayan mountains, is the HL2E3 team.

If L4D1 and L4D2 are compatible, then this is really just a fat expansion called a sequel because that's how cheesy horror movies do it.

Professor Phobos on
  • Options
    chasehatesbearschasehatesbears Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    The_Scarab wrote: »
    Sorenson wrote: »
    Man, sixty fucking bucks? Definetily smells like EA fucking around with Valve.

Yeah how dare they charge 60 dollars for a full game? Those fuckers.

That's the thing that I can't get around. I did, after all, pay full price for the original L4D without bitching. L4D2 looks like it has more content than the original, so why shouldn't I pay the same price?

The timing is just very unfortunate.

I'm pretty sure the teams are all compartmentalized. So the L4D team, when they were done, chose to start L4D2. The TF2 team continues to crank out free updates. And somewhere, lost in the Himalayan mountains, is the HL2E3 team.

If L4D1 and L4D2 are compatible, then this is really just a fat expansion called a sequel because that's how cheesy horror movies do it.

This is the scenario I am hoping for.

chasehatesbears on
  • Options
    RocketSauceRocketSauce Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Hopefully in L4D2 your AI buddies won't just gather round to watch you get raped by a Hunter or Smoker when they're literally a foot away. I've had this happen more times than should be possible.

It always seems like they kill the Hunter or Smoker within like a nanosecond, or until half your health is gone.

RocketSauce on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    That's the thing that I can't get around. I did, after all, pay full price for the original L4D without bitching. L4D2 looks like it has more content than the original, so why shouldn't I pay the same price?

The timing is just very unfortunate.

This is the scenario I am hoping for.
    Why is it the scenerio you're hoping for? It's still going to be a seperate game that's going to cost us $50+.

Not that I care about the price, I payed that for L4D, but they totally abandoned L4D for real. Now that they have the L4D scene on a string, they can advertise and do what Valve does best, amp up the public for release.

I am just pissed. I bought L4D in the hopes that it would prolong like TF2 and bring several significant updates, a game worth playing for over a straight year!

It just seems like Valve is becoming less... Valve each month.
    Hopefully in L4D2 your AI buddies won't just gather round to watch you get raped by a Hunter or Smoker when they're literally a foot away. I've had this happen more times than should be possible.

It always seems like they kill the Hunter or Smoker within like a nanosecond, or until half your health is gone.

I got an idea guys, let's make a L4D 2 then and forget about all the bugs and hardcore, dedicated Valve fans.

rakuenCallisto on
    cbtswoosig.png
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    The survivors have an AI mode?
    dear god, whenever we're talking about halflife its always "lolvalve time, we'll see it in 40 years" but now that we see L4D2 coming out "in a year" have we all forgotten about valve time?

the way I see it, they have it announced now and they have a release date. They picked it early so that when it comes time for them to release it at the time they actually wanted to release it, it'll already have been pushed back by like a year and a half and it might actually be ready. . .

Valve have made more money on L4D then any game they've ever made. Gabe must need a new solid gold throne to poop on.

Robman on
  • Options
    edited June 2009

Valve have made more money on L4D then any game they've ever made. Gabe must need a new solid gold throne to poop on.
    Exactly my point why there will never be any new DLC for L4D and Valve is only interested in money now.

rakuenCallisto on
    cbtswoosig.png
  • Options
    subediisubedii Registered User regular
    edited June 2009

To be honest, I felt that the AI team mates are a lot faster at saving your hide than the average human team mate. Especially if they're pubs.

subedii on
  • Options
    RiokennRiokenn Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    subedii wrote: »

To be honest, I felt that the AI team mates are a lot faster at saving your hide than the average human team mate. Especially if they're pubs.

PLEASE, don't get me started on people that just fucking shoots the zombie off instead of a melee. UGH FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF

Riokenn on
    OmSUg.pngrs3ua.pngvVAdv.png
  • Options
    SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    edited June 2009

Exactly my point why there will never be any new DLC for L4D and Valve is only interested in money now.

A company is interested in making money! Somebody call CNN! This is NEWS!

SyphonBlue on
    LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    SyphonBlue wrote: »

Valve used to make fucktons of money by releasing games, selling the shit out of them, then supporting the shit out of them for years. They've adopted a more standard business model of regular releases for their highest earning properties, which is sad.

Look at what happened with Blizzard. You used to get a game every few years, and it was always what the fuck awesome. Now they're popping out expansions for WoW in an almost annual rate, and the game is meh in quality. You can either have a low production time or a high level of polish.

Robman on
  • Options
    Unearthly StewUnearthly Stew Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Riokenn wrote: »

PLEASE, don't get me started on people that just fucking shoots the zombie off instead of a melee. UGH FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF

Huh? Auto-shotty is like a one shot on a hunter that's on someone.

In other news, really, I find the "I got x amount of hours in on the first one" a perfectly fine argument. People who complain that the game wasn't done and so the updates were what we should have had in the first place clearly didn't do their homework before buying, which is something that you should do with every purchase. I felt the updates were perfectly fine, and that there was enough that people could do serverside to make basically custom content (ie L8D).

Unearthly Stew on
  • Options
    SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    edited June 2009

Valve used to make fucktons of money by releasing games, selling the shit out of them, then supporting the shit out of them for years. They've adopted a more standard business model of regular releases for their highest earning properties, which is sad.

Look at what happened with Blizzard. You used to get a game every few years, and it was always what the fuck awesome. Now they're popping out expansions for WoW in an almost annual rate, and the game is meh in quality. You can either have a low production time or a high level of polish.

You must be playing a different WoW than I am to think its quality is "meh"

SyphonBlue on
    LxX6eco.jpg
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    They get their games to the previous Blizzard quality about a year after release. I mean, you lived through TBC launch and WOTLK launch, right?

Robman on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    You sure are very supportive of Valve, for someone who seems to not have bought their products for 10+ years, I can imagine why you would be so. Open your eyes. Valve is my favorite video game company ever, I'll always love them, but something fishy is going on.

This doesn't sound like my dream team that's all about customer service and DLC.

No shit, a company making money isn't news, but a company's CEO promising the public one thing before release and delivering another is lame and dishonest.

I've also never seen Valve act this way, releasing a sequel a half a year after the original? I mean where the hell is the new content? We haven't even broken this game in compared to the other Valve games!

rakuenCallisto on
    cbtswoosig.png
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    They get their games to the previous Blizzard quality about a year after release. I mean, you lived through TBC launch and WOTLK launch, right?

Yes

SyphonBlue on
    LxX6eco.jpg
  • Options
    edited June 2009

Aren't all MMORPG releases like that though? I don't know of what that didn't have all kinds of problems. I feel like when you sign up for one you're accepting that there are going to be all kinds of technical and balance issues.

Professor Phobos on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    You sure are very supportive of Valve, for someone who seems to not have bought their products for 10+ years, I can imagine why you would be so. Open your eyes. Valve is my favorite video game company ever, I'll always love them, but something fishy is going on.

This doesn't sound like my dream team that's all about customer service and DLC.

No shit, a company making money isn't news, but a company's CEO promising the public one thing before release and delivering another is lame and dishonest.

I've also never seen Valve act this way, releasing a sequel a half a year after the original? I mean where the hell is the new content? We haven't even broken this game in compared to the other Valve games!

And you seem to be completely ignoring the facts that Valve's target release dates and actual release dates match up about 0.05% of the time

and the fact that they're still supporting TF2 with free updates

and that they just released a rather significant free content pack/update to L4D about a month ago

SyphonBlue on
    LxX6eco.jpg
  • Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    edited June 2009
    TK-42-1 wrote: »
    i guess this is why they never released an sdk for it

I giggled at Killing Floor getting released and then Valve apparently going "oh hey, let's shove what we have of the SDK out of the door and call it a preview beta!"

Echo on
  • Options
    ZzuluZzulu Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    some new neat visuals would have been nice

Zzulu on
    t5qfc9.jpg
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Echo wrote: »
    TK-42-1 wrote: »
    i guess this is why they never released an sdk for it

I giggled at Killing Floor getting released and then Valve apparently going "oh hey, let's shove what we have of the SDK out of the door and call it a preview beta!"

Oh yeah, I'm sure that was it. Killing Floor definitely frightens Valve. Definitely.

Professor Phobos on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    And you seem to be completely ignoring the facts that Valve's target release dates and actual release dates match up about 0.05% of the time

and the fact that they're still supporting TF2 with free updates

and that they just released a rather significant free content pack/update to L4D about a month ago
    I'm not talking about TF2, TF2 is well worth the money because they took the time to elongate the releases and did so wisely. They also delivered what they promised with the game.

The last update was mediocre at best, giving us one map and a new mode, both that are rarely played today (at least from my friends list, I never see survival being played).

I just feel dooped and I feel like Valve Mickey Moused L4D a couple months ago, so they could just work on L4D 2 for the new crowd! (yayyyy) and not worry about the dedicated Valve fanatics.

rakuenCallisto on
    cbtswoosig.png
  • Options
    RocketSauceRocketSauce Registered User regular
    edited June 2009

Like I said, they're either Force Recon Snipers and headshot in a split-second, or they make a bag of popcorn and pull up some chairs. It would be nice if there was more consistency. But again, this is one man's opinion.

Here's how it goes down:
    *Hunter jumps out of nowhere and singles me out*
    *Begins to rip and shred my guts out over the other survivors, who are within arms reach who have their backs to me*
    Bill: "You guys hear something?"
    Francis: "Nah, musta been the wind"
    *My health is down to 30*
    Bill: "What was that?"
    *Turns around*
    Bill: "Oh. Shit."
    *Finally shoves him off*
    *I headshot the nearest survivor for fucking me over like that*

RocketSauce on
  • Options
    angrylinuxgeekangrylinuxgeek Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    when has Valve fucked us over before? Never.

L4D2 will be part of the Banana Box, with Portal 2 and Episode 3.

You guys lose faith so quickly. Why are you spergin' so hard about something you know nothing about? We literally JUST found out about this YESTERDAY.

angrylinuxgeek on
    sQwJu.png
  • Options
    edited June 2009

You guys lose faith so quickly. Why are you spergin' so hard about something you know nothing about? We literally JUST found out about this YESTERDAY.

I think we should all save the nerdrage until "no more L4D updates" is confirmed rather than speculated.

Professor Phobos on
  • Options
    darkmayodarkmayo Registered User regular
    edited June 2009

We love to hurf blurf on forums about how X has betrayed us.. slap in the face .. sold out... yadda yadda HURF HURF BLURF BLAAAARRRGG

/day one

darkmayo on
    Switch SW-6182-1526-0041