Castlevania: Lords of Shadow; It's out! Mind ye spoilers!

• Magus`Magus` The fun has been DOUBLED! Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Being made in Spain actually really explains the motif, yeah.

I just remember going through, let's say, Symphony of the Night and not recalling any of the characters doing monologues about their faith(s). Then again, the voices in SotN tend to induce temporary deafness, so maybe they did.

Magus` on
  • The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    But mankind ill needs a savior such as you!

The Dude With Herpes on
    Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
    Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
    Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand

• Magus`Magus` The fun has been DOUBLED! Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    *twitch*

Sadly this was a Gamefly rental for me so I probably won't get to experience none of this high-falutin' DLC, but I'm glad for those of you who bought the game.

Hopefully the DLC is free. Would be semi-dickish if it wasn't.

Magus` on
  • DraperDraper __BANNED USERS regular
    edited October 2010
    I'm going to be living in spain for 3 months starting feburary, I should totally meet the developers of this game.

Draper on
    lifefinal3.jpg
    edited October 2010
    Oh man I just unlocked Ultimate Light and holy mother is it awesome.

The Dude With Herpes on

• brynstarbrynstar Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I finished this tonight. The ending was satisfying while also being totally bonkers, in a good way. As a fan of character action games, this was a fantastic ride. Also, count me in as a person who thinks this is, in fact, a Castlevania game. :)

I wish it had a time stat so I could see how long my playthrough took. If I'm being a silly goose and missing it, feel free to correct me!

brynstar on
    Xbox Live: Xander51
    PSN ID : Xander51 Steam ID : Xander51
    edited October 2010
    I don't think there is one.

It'd be nice to know though.

EDIT: Also mostly unrelated, it seems that beating stages on Paladin and finishing up an act 110% doesn't unlock any art in the gallery for "free", so yeah. You'll have to spend those XP's eventually no matter what, assuming you care and/or want the achievement/trophy.

The Dude With Herpes on

• KlykaKlyka DO you have any SPARE BATTERIES?Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    If I have to read "This is/is not a Castlevania game" one more time,I'm going to fucking snap.
    It says Castlevania in the title thereby it is a Castlevania game. That fighting game on the Wii was a Castlevania game too. Hell,if this was a Super Mario Kart style racer it would still be a frikkin' Castlevania game cause it says so on the box!

Klyka on
    SC2 EU ID Klyka.110
    lTDyp.jpg
  • cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    But X-Com isn't a FPS!

cooljammer00 on
    steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • ToefooToefoo Los Angeles, CARegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Oh man, that DLC is so bought day one. I hope this sells well enough to ensure more in this series, because I am in love. It is enough to make me forget about Jericho.

I always get the worst TOTPs ever.

Toefoo on
    PSN: Soultics
    Weaboo List
    edited October 2010
    But X-Com isn't a FPS!

It is NOW!

Klyka on
    SC2 EU ID Klyka.110
    lTDyp.jpg
  • CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Magus` wrote: »

I just remember going through, let's say, Symphony of the Night and not recalling any of the characters doing monologues about their faith(s). Then again, the voices in SotN tend to induce temporary deafness, so maybe they did.

Bram Stoker, no, the movie of Bram Stoker's Dracula make the god-hate synonymous with vampires. Before it was "ahh, cross! I'm on fire!" Now it's "Christians lynch everybody therefore God sucks raaah"

Cantido on
    3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • CherrnCherrn Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    brynstar wrote: »
    I finished this tonight. The ending was satisfying while also being totally bonkers, in a good way. As a fan of character action games, this was a fantastic ride. Also, count me in as a person who thinks this is, in fact, a Castlevania game. :)

I wish it had a time stat so I could see how long my playthrough took. If I'm being a silly goose and missing it, feel free to correct me!

You can highlight your save game on the dashboard by going into your save folder, and it will tell you the full percentage along with time spent.

Cherrn on
    All creature will die and all the things will be broken. That's the law of samurai.
  • DraperDraper __BANNED USERS regular
    edited October 2010
    Please spoiler tag anything at all regarding the ending, even your opinion about it.

It will probably take a lot of people, like me, a long time to finish this. It took me 4 or 5 nights to finish chapter 2.

Draper on
    lifefinal3.jpg
  • SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Klyka wrote: »
    But X-Com isn't a FPS!

It is NOW!

No, you see, X-COM isn't an FPS, but XCOM is!

SteevL on
    edited October 2010
    SteevL wrote: »
    Klyka wrote: »
    But X-Com isn't a FPS!

It is NOW!

No, you see, X-COM isn't an FPS, but XCOM is!

Ah! You mean like how Spider-Man does everything a spider can,but Spiderman is just a dude in a costume!
    Ok,we agree then.

Klyka on
    SC2 EU ID Klyka.110
    lTDyp.jpg
  • SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Dashes change everything.

Also, I'm pretty sure I'll be playing this game in 480i this weekend. This will be...interesting.

SteevL on
  • Capt HowdyCapt Howdy Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I should probably get Judgement on the cheap, if only for the music.

Saving up points to unlock more attack modes is killing me. I think it might be time to double back and start collecting all the off limits items.

Capt Howdy on
    Steam: kaylesolo1
    3DS: 1521-4165-5907
    PS3: KayleSolo
    Live: Kayle Solo
    WiiU: KayleSolo
  • Orochi_RockmanOrochi_Rockman __BANNED USERS regular
    edited October 2010
    Beat the game last night on Hard (Knight) Loved it. Need DLC to live.

Final battle/Ending stuff
    DracoLich was awesome. Totally nerve wracking in the best way.

How could you not know that Zobek was going to do ye olde double-cross. I just kept waiting for him to go all MWAHAHAAHAHAHA!......I'm evil. When he did, Patrick Stewart did not disappoint with his over the top ham-induced monologue.

I didn't have a problem with Satan as the final boss, lots of videogames use lots of characters and references to many different religions, why should God and Satan be any different?

Post credits scene was awesome. I really hope the DLC gives us a Dracula skin for Gabriel to use in the main game.

Orochi_Rockman on
    edited October 2010
    Look what this thread make me do!

We were talking about movies and Dracula and the Coen Brothers and I just came out of Barnes and Noble with No Country For Old Men and the original Dracula novel.

I can't stop reading! Fuck you! Stop looking at me!

CotM had my favorite Dracula: He looked like Rob Zombie. It worked. :lol:

Cantido on
  • WaltWalt Waller Arcane Enchanted Frozen ElectrifiedRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Draper wrote: »
    Please spoiler tag anything at all regarding the ending, even your opinion about it.

It will probably take a lot of people, like me, a long time to finish this. It took me 4 or 5 nights to finish chapter 2.

Yeah I am just now on Chapter 5 because I am going back to every old level to do the trials and get gems and soforth. I want to make sure I am at 100% so that my Paladin playthrough can be a straight dash to the finish line.

On the plus side I have like, an insane amount of combos and gems for this point in the game. And also
    I *love* the Cyclone Boots and Black Knight Gauntlet. Here Sword Masters, have some GIANT FLAME CLAWS and a punch in the FACE.

Walt on
  • FawstFawst The road to awe.Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Bram Stoker's Dracula is such an amazing movie. It was so far ahead of its time. I totally prefer the Anne Rice "what's God got to do with it?" take on the legend, however.

Ok, so HOPEFULLY my fucking Gamefly copy will be in the mail today. Jesus, it shouldn't take this long for something to get mailed to me in MA from PA. In fact, when I first started with the service, if a game shipped on a Monday, I had it on Wednesday. The past two games, it's taken 5-7 days. WTF?

Fawst on
  • Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    The original Dracula is a hilariously bad novel

Evil Multifarious on
  • azith28azith28 Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    About how many hours long a game is it from start to finish? (Not counting replays)

azith28 on
    Stercus, Stercus, Stercus, Morituri Sum
  • Orochi_RockmanOrochi_Rockman __BANNED USERS regular
    edited October 2010
    If you go straight through each area taking what you find and not backtracking for missed items or items you need later upgrades to get then you'll finish it in 15-20 hours depending. As games like this go these days, it's really long and that length isn't doing new things in old areas, each level is new and different from the last.

Orochi_Rockman on
  • GanluanGanluan Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Fawst wrote: »
    Bram Stoker's Dracula is such an amazing movie. It was so far ahead of its time. I totally prefer the Anne Rice "what's God got to do with it?" take on the legend, however.

Ok, so HOPEFULLY my fucking Gamefly copy will be in the mail today. Jesus, it shouldn't take this long for something to get mailed to me in MA from PA. In fact, when I first started with the service, if a game shipped on a Monday, I had it on Wednesday. The past two games, it's taken 5-7 days. WTF?

I got my copy on Wednesday and they sent it on Monday - did the email from them say they shipped it from a different distribution center?

Ganluan on
  • jeddy leejeddy lee Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Actually in playing this, I find it incredibly like an attempt to recreate Castlevania 1-4 in a modern game. The references are blatant, the platforming similar, and the hordes of enemies in a linear environment. It just feels like an evolution of the original games. Just doesn't have the gothic feel of the metroidvanias.

jeddy lee on
    Backlog Challenge: 0%
    0/8

PS2
    FF X replay

PS3
    God of War 1&2 HD
    Rachet and Clank Future
    MGS 4
    Prince of Persia

Bayonetta
    Fable 3

DS
    FF: 4 heroes of light
  • jeddy leejeddy lee Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    So what's this SOTN code I keep hearing about?

jeddy lee on
    Backlog Challenge: 0%
    0/8

PS2
    FF X replay

PS3
    God of War 1&2 HD
    Rachet and Clank Future
    MGS 4
    Prince of Persia

Bayonetta
    Fable 3

DS
    FF: 4 heroes of light
  • LarsLars Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Magus` wrote: »

Actually, in SotN's ending...
    Dracula directly quotes the Bible, even citing the verse and such.

Also in Lament of Innocent...
    They rip the whole Bram Stoker Dracula thing where the whole reason for Mathias going bad is he's pissed at God for losing his wife. So Dracula himself has never had a problem talking about Christianity, though I can't recall any other characters bringing it up.

Lars on
  • OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I don't really understand why people would have a problem with religion being a significant factor in a gothic horror setting

That's practically what the setting is

Olivaw on
    signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
    edited October 2010
    Olivaw wrote: »
    I don't really understand why people would have a problem with religion being a significant factor in a gothic horror setting

Killing God in a videogame is so Ninties.

I'm not that far ahead but I'm confident the writing will be a little better than a typical JRPG.

Cantido on
    edited October 2010

Religion BAAAAADDD! Or some such something or another. People were bitching about all the Angel stuff in Ace Combat, and that was just using the word Angels.

This actually talks about religion! Hargleblargleblargle!!!

Capt Howdy on
    edited October 2010
    Capt Howdy wrote: »

Religion BAAAAADDD! Or some such something or another. People were bitching about all the Angel stuff in Ace Combat, and that was just using the word Angels.

Hey now, people were bitching about the Angel stuff in Ace Combat because it was a stupid phrase which had no actual meaning

At least that was why I was bitching

Olivaw on
    signature-deffo.jpg
  • Hotlead JunkieHotlead Junkie Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    So I bought this on a whim today . I'm about 2 hours in and haven't seen a castle or heard the name 'Dracula'.

So far I'm dissapointed.

Playing on the third difficulty and am up to the titan boss. So far it just feels pretty dull and railroaded, mostly feels like a God of War clone that has nothing to do with Castlevania, so, yeah.... Gonna give it a few moure hours and see if I start enjoying it more. And christ, some acting/emotion would be nice in the character voices (Patrick Stewart excluded).

What exactly did Kojima have to do with this game anyway?

Hotlead Junkie on
    tf2_sig.png
  • brynstarbrynstar Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Cherrn wrote: »
    brynstar wrote: »

You can highlight your save game on the dashboard by going into your save folder, and it will tell you the full percentage along with time spent.

Thanks very much, that's good to know!

brynstar on
    Xbox Live: Xander51
    PSN ID : Xander51 Steam ID : Xander51
    edited October 2010

Hey now, people were bitching about the Angel stuff in Ace Combat because it was a stupid phrase which had no actual meaning

At least that was why I was bitching

Dance with the angels has a meaning. And plenty 'o folk were pissed about religous nonsense in their fictional nonsense world. :P

Anyway, who cares. This game is awesome and if you're bitching about religion being discussed in it, then that just means you're reaching for something to complain about. *The game is that damn good*

*opinion on game's goodness may vary*

Capt Howdy on
  • Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Castlevania has always been pretty heavy on the Christian icons and
    relics. crosses and holy water and the like.

It fits really well with the mythos.

Evil Multifarious on
  • WaltWalt Waller Arcane Enchanted Frozen ElectrifiedRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    So I bought this on a whim today . I'm about 2 hours in and haven't seen a castle or heard the name 'Dracula'.

So far I'm dissapointed.

Playing on the third difficulty and am up to the titan boss. So far it just feels pretty dull and railroaded, mostly feels like a God of War clone that has nothing to do with Castlevania, so, yeah.... Gonna give it a few moure hours and see if I start enjoying it more. And christ, some acting/emotion would be nice in the character voices (Patrick Stewart excluded).

Kojima advised every stage of the game's development and his influence is more or less what defined the character's personalities.

Walt on
    edited October 2010
    Dance with the angels has a meaning.

Tell me what it is

I dare you

I fucking double dog dare you to tell me what that shit means

Olivaw on
    signature-deffo.jpg
  • RenzoRenzo Registered User regular
    edited October 2010

So far I'm dissapointed.

Just wait until you get access to the (weapon spoilers, not story/character spoilers)
    Gauntlet and the Boots. Both of those reminded me somewhat of the Beowulf gauntlets in DMC3. I don't want to oversell them, because the whip is always going to be your main weapon, but the gauntlet and boots add some much-needed variety. You get them at the end of
    Chapter 2 and 3, respectively. Chapter 3 is very short.

Still, this game is more God of War than DMC. It's not as technical as DMC or Bayonetta, but I also wouldn't say it's as free as God of War. It's somewhere in between.

Renzo on