As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Digital download purchases and buyer's remorse

2»

• Options
    DiannaoChongDiannaoChong Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I bought demigod with the 50% off coupon and played 1 singleplayer match and then never again. I am just to lazy to make friends to play it with.

DiannaoChong on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    AumniAumni Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Bought the new PoP game...played 1 hour and uninstalled. :(

Aumni on
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/aumni/ Battlenet: Aumni#1978 GW2: Aumni.1425 PSN: Aumnius
  • Options
    DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Bought Spectromancer off Greenhouse after the news post talked about how amazing it was. Hate that game so much, so many gameplay problems. Nothing is worse than the computer and the player both becoming unkillable in a game.

Darkewolfe on
    What is this I don't even.
  • Options
    DrovekDrovek Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Buttcleft wrote: »
    I take RtCW out about once a year and play it.

Its a fun game. Multiplayer is so-so if memory serves

So-so? It's one of the greatest Multiplayers ever created by mankind. Heck, I spent more hours on the multiplayer demo alone than on many games, and then Enemy Territory grabbed me even harder.

Never got into Quake Wars, however.

As far as regretting purchases: Not really. I've very rarely done so with physical media (and I don't sell/trade those either) because I actually choose carefully what I buy. :P
    I do have some games I haven't played more than a bit in Steam, but that's because I didn't have the time, really.

And I also mostly get them on sales so it's hard to regret those prices. :P

Drovek on
    steam_sig.png( < . . .
  • Options
    Shorn Scrotum ManShorn Scrotum Man Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I would suggest anybody who buys a game using DD without either researching or playing a demo/beta first is an idiot, and you know what they say about fools and their money.

The only time I've felt burned was by buying games I knew nothing about (like Defense Grid, I decided to give more Tower Defense games a try after really liking Plants vs. Zombies and was bored out of my mind), and since I'm mostly a PC it's not like I would have been able to return them to the store anyways most times.

Shorn Scrotum Man on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Gaming-ModuleGaming-Module Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    The only time I ever really feel ripped off is when I download an addon that doesn't have enough content for what I paid. Fable 2's DLC is like this and is probably what I would put on this list. On its own the first DLC pack was way overpriced at 800 points but combined with the See The Future 1360 points isn't horrible. I wish I would have waited for the sale this month so I could have bought both for 1120 points total.

I felt like overall I got my money's worth from the Oblivion DLC. It was nice to get some of it for free, like Mehrune's Razor and one of the houses and another half off. It was a lot of money, but again when you look at everything you're getting it's worth it.

Overall I think developers can do a lot better across the board or prices should come down.

Gaming-Module on
  • Options
    SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Drovek wrote: »
    Buttcleft wrote: »
    I take RtCW out about once a year and play it.

Its a fun game. Multiplayer is so-so if memory serves

So-so? It's one of the greatest Multiplayers ever created by mankind. Heck, I spent more hours on the multiplayer demo alone than on many games, and then Enemy Territory grabbed me even harder.

Never got into Quake Wars, however.

As far as regretting purchases: Not really. I've very rarely done so with physical media (and I don't sell/trade those either) because I actually choose carefully what I buy. :P
    I do have some games I haven't played more than a bit in Steam, but that's because I didn't have the time, really.

And I also mostly get them on sales so it's hard to regret those prices. :P

Talking about it, I got QW on steam a couple weeks before the market dropped out on the physical copies. And I didn't even play it that much, because of TF2. Even at the peak, the community wasn't that huge, do people still play it?

Spoit on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    SkexisSkexis Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Operation Anchorage for me, as well as Titan Quest Gold on steam. One is like a whole blob of peanut butter when what I really wanted was more jelly, and the other is like a BLT minus the bacon.

Colorful analogies ahoy!

Skexis on
  • Options
    RizziRizzi Sydney, Australia.Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I bought Gauntlet on XBLA for some absurd reason.
    I have no idea why, yet there it sits. Mocking me.

Rizzi on
  • Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Quite a few

Bionic Commando: Rearmed
    I guess this is cool for fans of the old one. They made it all nice and sparkly and everything, but how about actually making it playable by the standards of 2008?

Mortal Kombat II
    I forgot just how the cheap computer really is, and no one is ever online.

Noby Noby Boy
    An utterly pointless waste of time. Not even worth the five measly dollars.

Lumines Supernova
    This game left me perplexed as to why people say Lumines is a good puzzle game.

Jumping Flash!
    Awesome premise executed pretty poorly, though that just may be because it looks so absolutely horrid, and I'm a pretty forgiving guy on bad 3D (this is worse than Ridge Racer 1, which I still find quite playable).

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    DelinatorDelinator Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    GTA IV: The Lost and the Damned
    I hated the bike driving in GTA IV but bought this anyway. I stopped playing during the second or third mission and deleted it. I should have known better.

PoP: The Epilogue
    I love the game despite the shitty combat and Quicktime Event like plattforming. I was already frustrated when I got to the first fight and just quit and deleted the expansion.

Delinator on
  • Options
    PeregrineFalconPeregrineFalcon Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    The only remorse I get is from not having the necessary years of uninterrupted time to play through my backlog.

When there's something good for $Fuckall on STEAM, I'll generally buy it and say "I'll get around to playing that whenever."

PeregrineFalcon on
    Looking for a DX:HR OnLive code for my kid brother.
    Can trade TF2 items or whatever else you're interested in. PM me.
  • Options
    EntriechEntriech ? ? ? ? ? Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Darkewolfe wrote: »
    Bought Spectromancer off Greenhouse after the news post talked about how amazing it was. Hate that game so much, so many gameplay problems. Nothing is worse than the computer and the player both becoming unkillable in a game.
    Bought it off Steam, but same regret. When I played the demo it was all "Oh this is interesting, you're building your deck as you go, what a great mechanic" in the single player. Then I bought it, and started playing some of the multi, and then got very angry about their random selection of cards depending on which deck you pick. It's like "Whoops, the other guy got the cheap heal, and you've got no good counters. Grats on losing!" Not balanced worth a shit.

Entriech on
  • Options
    EvanderEvander Disappointed Father Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I bought Altered Beast, Bonk, and Wario Woods for my Wii when it first came out, because I wanted SOMETHING off of the VC.

There are plenty of other games on the PS3 and 360 which I don't really regret, per se, but I probably shouldn't have wasted my money on.

Evander on
  • Options
    LotharsLothars Registered User regular
    edited June 2009

Bionic Commando: Rearmed
    I guess this is cool for fans of the old one. They made it all nice and sparkly and everything, but how about actually making it playable by the standards of 2008?

I have to just say that how do you think this is not playable? it's extremely playable and I really never played the nes game but I don't understand how you can say it's not playable.

one for me is Star Trek D.A.C - it's not bad but not great - I shouldn't of picked it up but such is life.

Lothars on
  • Options
    AntihippyAntihippy Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    The MvC2 demo.

Didn't spend money on it per se but goddamn what a waste of bandwidth.

At least add in online!

Antihippy on
    10454_nujabes2.pngPSN: Antiwhippy
  • Options
    Vladimir7Vladimir7 Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Almost every game I downloaded from VC for the WII (except for Mario).. Downloaded about 6.
    Almost every game I downloaded from XBLA, except for Geometry Wars. .. Downloaded about 5
    However I liked all the expansion content I downloaded so far (Rock band songs, fallout 3 DLC, gta dlc).

I think it was more me not having the time playing through the stuff I downloaded, then me not liking it. Atleast 3 of the games I downloaded on VC I haven't even launched once since I bought it a year ago. I was just in some sort of craze to say I owned the games, even though I did not have time to play them.

However the arcade games I bought off of XBLA I have remorse for. While they were fun, they are only fun playing a couple times. After I play them a few times I get tired of them. Just isn't worth $5-10 to only play once or twice. I get my highscore, try to beat it once or twice, then quit because I much rather be playing GTA4 or some other "real" full game.

I also have problems with the episode games like Sam and Max.. As much as I loved the original Hit the Road, I can't find myself loving the tell tale series. I tried to like it , I really did, I played every episode in the first season, and the first episode in the second season, and I can see why people think it is great, I just can't. I would much rather wait a year and them making a full game, instead of 5 episodes.
    Although I did purchase the pre order for Monkey Island, since I am a huge sucker for anything MI.

Vladimir7 on
  • Options
    projectmayhemprojectmayhem Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Lumines XBLA. While Lumines on the PSP is one of my favorite games of all time, turns out, it does not translate to console play.

Skate 2, Rob Deyrdeks (sp?) Fantasy Factory DLC. Whats fun in real life wasnt fun in the unreal life.

Ikuruga XBLA. Yes it's an awesome game. However, I will never see more than to the middle of Level 2. Hard ass mother.

projectmayhem on
  • Options
    WitchsightWitchsight Registered User regular
    edited June 2009

Ikuruga XBLA. Yes it's an awesome game. However, I will never see more than to the middle of Level 2. Hard ass mother.

Aw, man. But its such a sweet game and such a good deal on Live. One of my proudest moments on 360 was practicing the first level so i could actually score an A rank... and then crumple into a nerve frayed wreck on the floor.

I regret buying some cheap user images and themes though ... It was a moment of weakness. And i really wish Braid was 800pts, oh god dont kill me.

Witchsight on
    Witchsight.png
  • Options
    HedgethornHedgethorn Associate Professor of Historical Hobby Horses In the Lions' DenRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I bought the iD pack on Steam, played Doom for about two hours and never touched it again. Actually, scratch that--I got an hour or so from Return to Castle Wolfenstein.

Not knocking the games themselves, but that was a spectacular waste of money from my standpoint.

I'm glad I'm not the only one who did this. :?

Hedgethorn on
  • Options
    Shoegaze99Shoegaze99 Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    The Pitt and Broken Steel for Fallout 3, mostly because the same day I got them my 360 stopped reading my Fallout 3 disc AND Bethesda announced the GOTY edition. I could have just waited and replaced my bum disc with that.

Also, that goofy trivia game on XBLA arcade. The one with the dumb puppets. I can't even remember its name. I'm a sucker for trivia games and jumped at it one night after a few beers. Haven't looked at it since. Damnit!

Shoegaze99 on
  • Options
    TK-42-1TK-42-1 Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Max Payne Bundle on steam: I really wanted to play it when the movie was coming out. Didnt notice that vista isnt supported for mp1. Gives some shitty sound errors and is unplayable. theres workarounds but none of them work with the steam edition.

strong bads cgfap: bought the first two and they just werent fun for me. i like the emails occasionally but meh. it wears.

the witcher: i know its supposed to be this awesome game, and it was for a while but the combat just got fucking annoying and repetative after 5 hours or so and i just gave up on it. ive gone back a couple times but never stuck it out

TK-42-1 on
    sig.jpgsmugriders.gif
  • Options
    LunkerLunker Registered User regular
    edited June 2009

Don't be ashamed to actually turn continues on; it locks you out of the scoreboards but the scoreboards are really only for hard-core Ikaruga fans who already played the crap out of it on GC or DC.

I've had a few impulse buys that I quickly regretted; on XBLA, Gauntlet, Space Giraffe and Alien Hominid (for the latter, I like the game but just played it out on GC, went for a double-dip and just kind of lost interest). On Virtual Console, one of the Wonder Boy games, SimCity and Alien Soldier. On the whole, though, I feel like I've gotten my money's worth out of DD games, though I tend to research them pretty carefully before buying.

Lunker on
    Tweet my Face: @heyitslunker | Save money at CheapAssGamer (not an affiliate link)
  • Options
    DrakeDrake Edgelord Trash Below the ecliptic plane.Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I've had the reverse experience lately. I built a new PC recently and some of the copy protection on some of my physical-copy games is acting up. So games like Sacred Gold, BF 2142, and CoDWaW (which thankfully came with my new vid card for free) don't work. So now I'm really only buying Digital Distribution games for my PC.

I'm just glad that the those games aren't really any of my favorites.

Drake on
  • Options
    MoioinkMoioink Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    A few more misguided purchases:

Street Fighter 2 Turbo (VC): No regrets at the time but then HD Remix came out and made this redundant.

Splatterhouse (VC): I wanted to see what all the fuss was about and why this game is so fondly remembered by some... it's kind of shit.

King of Fighters 94 (VC): No, I don't know why I bought this either!

Moioink on
  • Options
    PMAversPMAvers Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Buying Diablo II off of Blizzard's online store.

It works fine, it's just that I can't play DII anymore due to having access to Titan Quest.

PMAvers on
    persona4celestia.jpg
    COME FORTH, AMATERASU! - Switch Friend Code SW-5465-2458-5696 - Twitch
  • Options
    SaddlerSaddler Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I bought Golden Axe on the VC, and that left such an awful taste in my mouth, I've purchased almost nothing but games I already owned at one point since then.

This is making me super cautious about buying WiiWare games. I'd almost buy a budget game from the store before I pony up for one of those, for some reason. They really need to develop some kind of demo system on those. I was kind of hoping some companies would start to put together WiiWare compilation discs at some point. Surely sales have dried up to nil on some of the relatively older WiiWare titles by now.

Saddler on
  • Options
    RainbowDespairRainbowDespair Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Saddler wrote: »
    I bought Golden Axe on the VC, and that left such an awful taste in my mouth, I've purchased almost nothing but games I already owned at one point since then.

This is making me super cautious about buying WiiWare games. I'd almost buy a budget game from the store before I pony up for one of those, for some reason. They really need to develop some kind of demo system on those. I was kind of hoping some companies would start to put together WiiWare compilation discs at some point. Surely sales have dried up to nil on some of the relatively older WiiWare titles by now.

Yeah, that's my number one problem with VC & WiiWare. I've purchased a ton of XBLA games and only regretted a few because generally the demo warns me off games I'm not going to like (and occasionally convinces me to buy games I wasn't planning on buying). On the other hand, with the VC, most of the games that I've downloaded that I hadn't played before, I've ended up regretting; off the top of my head, Sin & Punishment is the only one I hadn't played before that I purchased and really liked. Likewise with WiiWare, I'm 50-50: I liked Toki Tori, but was disappointed by Star Soldier R.

RainbowDespair on