As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[WAR] Because CC Changes and Norden Watch Weekend Rule

• Options
    NevaNeva Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Iblis wrote: »
    If I was a BG, I would spec, gear, talisman and stat stack for max survivability, get soul killer and bounce back and forth soul killing every healer until the whole warband gets pissed off and tries to kill me.
    I wouldn't try to kill the healer unless there's only one or I'm being helped.
    I'd just hit them with soul killer to fuck up their healing then knock them down or disable them for a while if I can, but if I can't, just snare them and move onto the next.

This is solo.

I guarantee you do that for a while, you'll start being focused on. Because that thing has a nice duration and you are going to piss off every single person in the enemy warband and you'll also attract the attention of the random (hit the nearest guy) guys.
    Since your job is tanking and you have plenty of toughness, there's your hate and there's your use.

And if they do ignore you you get to giggle madly while they all die because all their healers have -50% healing or are running away from you instead of healing. So, again, there's your use.

I'm planning to make bg my next tank, because I definitely think it has amazing potential as a subtle mindfuck healer griefing tank and I want to experiment with the enemies tempers.

That's if I'm still playing war in the time it'll take to get my dok and chosen to 40.

I'm not a player anymore or anything like that, but there might be a little flaw in your plan. Snares and other CC, as well as healers having the brains to spread out. Not that it will completely kill the strategy, but it would hamper it considerably. Not to mention Soul Killer is a Hex and can be purged pretty easy.

I can't picture that happening often. Most of the players I see are so dumb that it's like playing against bots with broken AI.

One of my favorite things to do as a BG (in tier 2) was to run a tight circles around people while attacking. Eventually more and more people would come and get clumped up into a tight ball with the rest of their team. It was like herding sheep.

Neva on
    SC2 Beta: Neva.ling

"Everyone who is capable of logical thought should be able to see why you shouldn't sell lifetime subscriptions to an MMO. Cell phone companies and drug dealers don't offer lifetime subscriptions either, guess why?" - Mugaaz
  • Options
    MalkorMalkor Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I used to have my Chosen in the most obnoxious colors in order to make people attack me.

It pretty much always worked.

Malkor on
    14271f3c-c765-4e74-92b1-49d7612675f2.jpg
  • Options
    Raiden333Raiden333 Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Malkor wrote: »
    I used to have my Chosen in the most obnoxious colors in order to make people attack me.

That's what I did when I was playing my Chosen. Purple and green.

Raiden333 on
    There was a steam sig here. It's gone now.
  • Options
    FryholeFryhole Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Tarranon wrote: »
    So, I am trying to get this free trial thing to work, and the prepatching and patching seem to be thwarting me at every turn. The prepatcher keeps getting NSIS integrity errors and I'm starting to become doubtful that the problems on my end since I redownloaded it so many times.

as for the patcher itself, it will trudge along until it tells me it can't retrieve a file from the server and try again later. it has been later and I still cannot get it.

what the effffffffffff

http://forums.warhammeronline.com/warhammer/board/message?board.id=p2psupport&thread.id=2003

You may need to be signed in for that link to work, not sure.

Fryhole on
  • Options
    MeisterMeister Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    So let me see if I'm reading wardb right.

Ironbreakers get knockdown at level 6.
    BG gets knockdown at 16

Ironbreaker gets knockback at level 14.
    BG gets knockback at 25.

Is this correct?

Meister on
    3DS friend code friend code: 4485-1155-2584
  • Options
    Gnome-InterruptusGnome-Interruptus Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Meister wrote: »

BG gets knockdown at 16

BG gets knockback at 25.

Is this correct?

Yep, you will also notice that the IB knockdown and knockback only have 10s cooldowns compared to BG 20s.

Also, the IB knockdown can be triggered from a Block OR Parry, while the BG can only trigger off of a Block.

Gnome-Interruptus on
    steam_sig.png
    MWO: Adamski
  • Options
    Lucky CynicLucky Cynic Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Raiden333 wrote: »

Golden Yellow as both primary and secondary colors works wonders. Just pisses people the hell off. :D

Lucky Cynic on
  • Options
    RedThornRedThorn Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Iblis wrote: »
    Not to mention Soul Killer is a Hex and can be purged pretty easy.

People rarely purge debuffs in RvR. Even on my healers, I'm the only one I'd ever see purging stuff and it's only for very high priority debuffs like Word of Pain and.. well Word of Pain. If the purge ability wasn't so broken and purged the debuff with the most remaining duration instead of on at random, it might get used more. Right now, there's no guarantee you will get the debuff you want, and it has a cooldown. Maybe add a tactic for purge abilities to healers that causes it to strip up to 3 debuffs and heal a little bit like the Knights get for their offensive purge.

That went way off into rantsville, but yeah people don't purge stuff in rvr.

RedThorn on
    League of Legends: Drokmir
    Steam: Drokmir
  • Options
    Gnome-InterruptusGnome-Interruptus Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Warrior Preists used to purge just about everything all the time when they had the tactic tied to their group heals....

I'm not sure how many of them use the new version that purges the entire group without the heal.

Gnome-Interruptus on
    steam_sig.png
    MWO: Adamski
  • Options
    MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Raiden333 wrote: »

i like to think i started this way back but i probably didnt

but dammit

i had a pure white chosen prancing up and down the battle lines doing hold the line and laughing and sneering at the enemy

so maybe the rush got to my head because everybody on my team healed me and everybody on their team failed to kill me.
    including their warcamps siege cannons.

this was back when the prevailing opinion was that chosen are the gimpiest of them all

Morninglord on
    (PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Pure white was exactly the approach to armor dyes I took on my DoK back in the day.

I needed anime to post. on
    liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    hehehe

the fashionable was my first non pvp title back in the day

i was both surprised and delighted when i got that

iwas all "whose a snazzy dark elf eh? whosasnazzy dark elf? its me! thats right! yes its me!" *flicks hair out of eyes and prances over to steal someones life blood*

incidentally i do the dok ailment and hex remove like my life depended on it and i "do" others too because I'm just fabulous like that, darling!

Morninglord on
    (PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • Options
    MelksterMelkster Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I'm thinking about trying this game.

Anyone have a Recruit-A-Friend trial they wanna swing my way?

E-mail is easterling.adam ("at" sign) yahoo (dot) com.

If you need any other information, feel free to add me on steam and send me an IM, or send me a forum PM.

Melkster on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Warrior Preists used to purge just about everything all the time when they had the tactic tied to their group heals....

I'm not sure how many of them use the new version that purges the entire group without the heal.

Well, yeah, of course Warrior priests purged debuffs when you could slot the tactic and cleanse stuff with just your normal heals. Not many use Cleansing Power now though, since there are better tactics and it eats up a mastery point. I only knew of one WP who used the new version and he swapped it out with another tactic since it was so situational.

EDIT: Cleansing power was pretty fun back in the day though. :3

RedThorn on
  • Options
    edited July 2009

BG gets knockdown at 16

BG gets knockback at 25.

Is this correct?

Yep, you will also notice that the IB knockdown and knockback only have 10s cooldowns compared to BG 20s.

Also, the IB knockdown can be triggered from a Block OR Parry, while the BG can only trigger off of a Block.

Is there some reason for this? Or is it just "whoops Order is better".

Also, really, is there a way to get an invite into Six Mouths?

edit: Yah, even with full hate, it only knocks back as far as Repel Darkness, which doesn't require a full hate bar. What is the balance reason for this?

Meister on
  • Options
    DacDac Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Ironbreakers also, last time I checked, have a tactic that lets their AoE knockback also snare.

I remember getting pissed off by that a LOT on my Black Orc back in the day.

Dac on
    Steam: catseye543
    PSN: ShogunGunshow
    Origin: ShogunGunshow
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Also, what's the deal with
    Gromril Plating: http://www.wardb.com/spell.aspx?id=1420
    vs.
    Impenetrable Armor: http://www.wardb.com/spell.aspx?id=8378

The Chosen version requires spec, is Morale 4 instead of 3, and is much worse?

Meister on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    But on the other hand they also get huge group benefits like oath friend to support an important member of the group and the ability to spec into really good single target damage and a tactic to reduce cc by half!

Yeah I hate them too. They're fucking whack and a stain on the game. I tried to understand their balance in terms of every tank, but whatever they were going for, they fucked up, because they're the one tank I think is honestly absolutely fucking whack.

If they were rebalanced completely, the levelling field for tank comparisons would get a whole lot less annoying for people playing other tanks.
    Honestly, they don't even have a mechanic weakness or any attempt at balance I can figure out at all.
    They're a complete outlier.

Morninglord on
  • Options
    eatmosushieatmosushi __BANNED USERS regular
    edited July 2009
    ironbreakers are also the STUPIDEST LOOKING CRAPNUGGETS ever.

no seriously i mean

it's a dwarf

a goddamn dwarf.

THAT'S balance.

Best class vs Stupidest looking turd mcnugget ever.

eatmosushi on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Spun uncontrollably skyward... Driven brutally into the ground
  • Options
    ArkanArkan Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Is there a mod that gives me some kind of sticky-targetting functionality? Because goddamit I'm tired of accidentally dropping my target(s) when trying to click on someone who's jumping around like a monkey on crack.

Arkan on
    Big, honkin' pile of WoW characters
    I think it's hard for someone not to rage at mario kart, while shouting "Fuck you Donkey Kong. Whose dick did you suck to get all those red shells?"
  • Options
    admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    eatmosushi wrote: »
    ironbreakers are also the STUPIDEST LOOKING CRAPNUGGETS ever.

no seriously i mean

it's a dwarf

a goddamn dwarf.

THAT'S balance.

Best class vs Stupidest looking turd mcnugget ever.

I dunno. I think heavily-armored Warhammer dwarves look pretty fucking sweet. It's basically a tiny block of steel clubbing your kneecaps.

Admittedly Chosen and Black Orcs still look more badass.

But Blackguard look like... well, elves.

admanb on
  • Options
    DetharinDetharin Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    and of course looking like a 100% pure orc badass makes up for being crippled by a shitty combat system, having absolute crap damage while being able to spec for lackluster subpar damage, wonderfully useless survivability, or subpar group buffs and horribly nerfed AOE damage, not to mention our complete lack of group utility, our inability to do jack shit besides guard and challenge if more than one person is on a healer, let us not forget even if we spec for the knockdown and go two hander our damage is still crap.

Dear mythic, make every tank the equal of iron breakers. While your at it make my shitty combat system give me some benefit as opposed to 100% handicap. Tell you what, ill take the BW mechanic. You know that one that allows a BW to crit a 0.0% chance to crit tank about 50% of the time anf do with soft capped toughness and elemental resistance crits for 1300.

Christ, I should really sit down and ability by ability just rip into the Black Orc.

Detharin on
  • Options
    Mr.SunshineMr.Sunshine Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    And I still wonder why the IC isn't being farmed 24/7. With Orders vast superiority over Destro in all areas... etc etc. Numbers shouldn't even matter. Perhaps it's just pity? Or the fact that there's only one city and if that on gets capped there wouldn't be any Destro to utterly destroy with their mere Orderly breath.

Mr.Sunshine on
  • Options
    Moridin889Moridin889 Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    So I've noticed in t1 a whole bunch of people are rolling Archmages nowadays(Like 6 per scenario). I mean, even with my nigh crippling altitis, I try to avoid the elves.

Is there something crazy they did to the Archmage to make it good all of a sudden?

Moridin889 on
  • Options
    admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Moridin889 wrote: »
    So I've noticed in t1 a whole bunch of people are rolling Archmages nowadays(Like 6 per scenario). I mean, even with my nigh crippling altitis, I try to avoid the elves.

Is there something crazy they did to the Archmage to make it good all of a sudden?

They made it so that at 40 they grow man-muscles and wear full-plate armor.

Not really, but that's the only thing that could make me roll one.

They did get buffed in the last patch. I'm sure that has something to do with it.

admanb on
  • Options
    CorriganXCorriganX Jacksonville, FLRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    And I still wonder why the IC isn't being farmed 24/7. With Orders vast superiority over Destro in all areas... etc etc. Numbers shouldn't even matter. Perhaps it's just pity? Or the fact that there's only one city and if that on gets capped there wouldn't be any Destro to utterly destroy with their mere Orderly breath.

Because being on defense is a hell of a lot easier for a smaller force to stall a bigger one?

CorriganX on
    n1woEHJ.png
    CorriganX on Steam and just about everywhere else.
  • Options
    WolferaWolfera Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Moridin889 wrote: »

They overhauled the mechanic, so everyone is rolling an alt to try it out. Similar to when the new classes came out: most people didn't actually reroll a slayer as their main, but almost everyone rolled one just to see how it plays.

Wolfera on
  • Options
    DisruptorX2DisruptorX2 Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    So, anyone interested in getting the Candymancers somewhat active again?

I mean, I like my DoK, and the Mouths, but I can't take much more of Iron Rock. Whether it be the public channels filled with drooling 15 year olds, scenarios filled with people with names like "Ithrowpoop", and the general incompetence of Destruction as a whole.

The Order community on Badlands is much more mature, and that counts for a lot, even though its a rather sparsely populated server.

DisruptorX2 on
    1208768734831.jpg
  • Options
    eatmosushieatmosushi __BANNED USERS regular
    edited July 2009
    Arkan wrote: »
    Is there a mod that gives me some kind of sticky-targetting functionality? Because goddamit I'm tired of accidentally dropping my target(s) when trying to click on someone who's jumping around like a monkey on crack.

there was an amazing mod i used that put a huge red ring around my enemy target and green rings around my friendly target.

dunno if that helps

eatmosushi on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Spun uncontrollably skyward... Driven brutally into the ground
  • Options
    SF_DhalsimSF_Dhalsim Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    So hit 40 with my choppa.... wtb more orvr where destro is on even terms with order because this crap is reidiculous. I mean seriously Every keep defense I went to yesterday we we're outnumbereed at least 3-1. I mean what the hell happened on the other servers to cause all of these order players to show up?

Other than that it's loads of fun, aside from the random rr 65+ BW who looks at me and says, "All of your resists and amrour are meaningless die now." And without thinking my character obeys.....

Also looking into rolling BG been reading alot of the conversation of how gimped they are, which I do agree but they do have some cool factor due to their freaking halberds of death. Either way What's the most consistent tree for them? And what will I be focusing on killing as them?

SF_Dhalsim on
    sig-1355736.jpg
    sig-1355747.jpg
    SC2: XxKhrushchev.539
  • Options
    CorriganXCorriganX Jacksonville, FLRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I think its a problem with Destruction guys getting beaten with order, deciding "Screw this, im playing Order, whats a busy server to roll on" and getting a hell of a lot of rerolls here. We get a large amount of Order rerolls playing Destruction of course, but they're not bleeding players like destro seems to be.

About Blackguards, untill you get to 24+ their debuffs arn't nearly as effective as their damage is. The problem is their damage is only effective when you can burst it down with full hate. If you can get into their front lines in like a keep defense, or defending a point like the bridge in Phoenix Gate, forcing them to focus on you, then your hate mechanic can really shine. Being able to fully use your debuffs as well as your damage abilities makes you finally feel effective. Using a glaive is fine untill late T2, where your only CC ability outside of snare is tied to your ability to block. What you'll want to do is charge a line, hope someone smacks you out of reflex, then turn to a healer thats getting trained and use your full hate knockdown on them.

Malice is a good tree for trying to kill things, the problem is that your abilities are all tied to hate, meaning that if you spec full malice your debuffs are going to suffer because you're using your hate for damage instead of making your debuffs actually worth something. Once you get higher into the tree, the tactics and abilities actually help you manipulate your hate into much more dps. It still doesn't give you the luxury of keeping your Hate up for effective debuffs, but it allows you to funnel your hate into effective damage. If you spec into Anguish, their debuff tree, then you become effective as a tank, lowering their damage, reducing their healing, basically making a nuisance of yourself, but your DPS is horrible without the tactics needed to manage your hate into dps.

CorriganX on
    n1woEHJ.png
    CorriganX on Steam and just about everywhere else.
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    eatmosushi wrote: »
    Arkan wrote: »

there was an amazing mod i used that put a huge red ring around my enemy target and green rings around my friendly target.

dunno if that helps

The whole trying to target teammates to heal them thing can be hard. Thats why I usually just ask to be put in the same group as important people like tanks and let the bunny hoppers die.

DisruptorX2 on
    1208768734831.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Morninglord was kind enough to send me a trial invite, and I've been downloading the patch through the night. (It got shut down by a stupid automatic Windows update that restarted my computer so I had to restart the download before jetting off to work int he morning.) Anyway, when I get home from work I'm going to load up the game and play!

Can anyone recommend a highly active server with a balanced population? (Or, preferably, could you link me to a website with that information possibly?)

Melkster on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Melkster wrote: »
    Morninglord was kind enough to send me a trial invite, and I've been downloading the patch through the night. (It got shut down by a stupid automatic Windows update that restarted my computer so I had to restart the download before jetting off to work int he morning.) Anyway, when I get home from work I'm going to load up the game and play!

Can anyone recommend a highly active server with a balanced population? (Or, preferably, could you link me to a website with that information possibly?)

Are you wanting to play with the PA crew? Iron Rock is active and balanced, at least up to t4, haven't done much 4 yet so couldn't tell you there. You have to put up with the inherent "Barrens chat" quality of playing Destro though.

DisruptorX2 on
    1208768734831.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 2009

Are you wanting to play with the PA crew? Iron Rock is active and balanced, at least up to t4, haven't done much 4 yet so couldn't tell you there. You have to put up with the inherent "Barrens chat" quality of playing Destro though.

I thoroughly enjoyed Barrens chat, actually!

How, according to the OP, the PA has a destruction guild on Iron Rock. If I wanted to play Order - and I haven't decided if I do or don't - I'd go to Badlands, I assume, for the guild there. Is that guild as active as the one on Iron Rock?

Melkster on
  • Options
    MorskittarMorskittar Lord Warlock Engineer SeattleRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    T4 is (or was - the last week has kept me away from the game completely) quite a bit better, especially rolling with warbands of mostly alliance members.

Also, a Mac client? I wonder how long Mythic has been working on that.

Morskittar on
    snm_sig.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    How, according to the OP, the PA has a destruction guild on Iron Rock. If I wanted to play Order - and I haven't decided if I do or don't - I'd go to Badlands, I assume, for the guild there. Is that guild as active as the one on Iron Rock?

I played a bit last night. I was the only one on. On the plus side, order locks down tons of zones, so you get your conqueror set fast. On the minus side, Conqueror sucks ass for warrior priests.

DisruptorX2 on
    1208768734831.jpg
  • Options
    FryholeFryhole Registered User regular
    edited July 2009

I thoroughly enjoyed Barrens chat, actually!

The only time I really started to cringe was when I finally went over to Nordland to complete my T1 tour. The topic of conversation was, surprisingly, which MMO was the best. In most player's eyes, the one with the most population wins, regardless. What a pointless argument.

Fryhole on
  • Options
    MalkorMalkor Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Morskittar wrote: »
    T4 is (or was - the last week has kept me away from the game completely) quite a bit better, especially rolling with warbands of mostly alliance members.

Also, a Mac client? I wonder how long Mythic has been working on that.

Playing with alliance people on Vent even makes guarding BOs not completely unbearable.

I'll bet the Mac client works tons better than the Windows one.

Malkor on
    14271f3c-c765-4e74-92b1-49d7612675f2.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Also, what's the deal with
    Gromril Plating: http://www.wardb.com/spell.aspx?id=1420
    vs.
    Impenetrable Armor: http://www.wardb.com/spell.aspx?id=8378

The Chosen version requires spec, is Morale 4 instead of 3, and is much worse?

That wardb info for Gromril Plating is old. It's been nerfed to be self only and I think absorbs less too now.

RedThorn on