Options

[Zelda Thread] E3 cometh.

• Options
    The Fourth EstateThe Fourth Estate Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Sorry, most players were fully emotionally invested outside of nostalgia, due to fighting a real villain, not a guy who has no motivations until his final paragraph of speech where he talks about how sad he is. The Wind Waker fight is lame by comparison.

A 'real' villain with the depth of a man who kicks puppies versus someone with well-defined motivations beyond for the evulz.

The TP fight is lame by comparison.

The Fourth Estate on
  • Options
    ChenChen Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    That is like saying Nascar is more riveting than Formula 1.

You guys are loons.

Loons I tells ya.

Chen on
    V0Gug2h.png
  • Options
    DodgeBlanDodgeBlan PSN: dodgeblanRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    DodgeBlan wrote: »
    Chen wrote: »
    WW has flowing dual sword fencing.

TP has robotic resistance.

There's no competition.

WW has robotic, unrealistic dual sword fighting.

TP has an epic, flowing battle.

There's no competition.

When ganon did his crouching tiger flying leap at me in WW I was like 'oh shit'

When I was riding around on horseback with ganon at the end of TP I was kinda like 'um what?'

When Ganon did his robotic jump at me in WW I was like 'dodge, hit, that was pretty easy'

When I was riding around on horseback with Ganon at the end of TP I was like 'holy shit, this is so epic'

look if you actually want to tell us why you thought TP was stronger than MM and WW then I'm all ears. I'd like to hear it. They are all very good games and you should tell us what you think makes TP excellent. Or you can just behave like a child.

DodgeBlan on
    Read my blog about AMERICA and THE BAY AREA

https://medium.com/@alascii
  • Options
    Cameron_TalleyCameron_Talley Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I'm trying to finish Phantom Hourglass right now. I just ordered Spirit Tracks ($18 on Amazon!) and I hate starting another Zelda game when I haven't finished the last one.

I think what killed Hourglass for me was the damn Ocean Temple. I understand I have to go through that shit one last time to beat the stupid game. Not looking forward to it.

Also, I didn't enjoy the sailing mechanic. I know WW gets ripped on for "too much sailing," but I actually enjoyed that. The wind at your back, and that wonderful overworld music suddenly welling up, and you sail off into the sea, in control of your own boat. In PH, it felt more restrained.

I wonder if I'll have the same opinion on Spirit Tracks. You might think so, but I'm a huge Railfan, so that might make a difference.

Cameron_Talley on
    Switch Friend Code: SW-4598-4278-8875
    3DS Friend Code: 0404-6826-4588 PM if you add.
  • Options
    UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    look if you actually want to tell us why you thought TP was stronger than MM and WW then I'm all ears. I'd like to hear it. They are all very good games and you should tell us what you think makes TP excellent. Or you can just behave like a child.
    You haven't given us anything to go on either. You responded to my criticism with the same sort of opinions. If they're enough for you to illustrate the respective strengths and weaknesses, they're good enough for me. Just because reasoning doesn't take up an entire paragraph doesn't make it less valid.

I also don't understand why we would need to resort to name calling or insulting each others' intelligence. Seems counter-productive.

UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Also the puppet Ganon -> Ganondorf transition is cleaner/more distinct than the stage 3 -> stage 4 switch in TP.

For a second I was going to say that Ganon only has three stages in TP. Then I realised that I had completely forgotten about
    possessed Zelda.
    nealcm wrote: »
    SirToasty wrote: »
    i say this any time i can on this forum already but FUCK YEAH ORACLES OF AGES AND SEASONS

so

good
    Holy shit I need to play those games again. Linking up and getting the fucking Biggoron sword and Bombchus was awesome.

e: And that fucking Kangaroo. I love Ricky so much.

really? i tried to get dimitri in every game i played. used all three save files on both games all for myself, god the replay value of those games is fucking fantastic.

i totally have to find those in my house now... the thing that pisses me off however is that DSs can't play gameboy games. gotta whip out my SP for this shit!

I wish I had an SP. I only have an original GBA and I think we all know how the screens are on those.

Ricky and Dmitiri are both pretty cool, but I hated the parts where you had to use Moosh in both games because fuck having to tap a button repeatedly.

Peewi on
  • Options
    Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Swordfighting Ganondorf in TP is not enjoyable as the player has little emotional investment beyond nostalgia; swordfighting him in WW is for the opposite reason.

Also the puppet Ganon -> Ganondorf transition is cleaner/more distinct than the stage 3 -> stage 4 switch in TP.

Sorry, most players were fully emotionally invested outside of nostalgia, due to fighting a real villain, not a guy who has no motivations until his final paragraph of speech where he talks about how sad he is. The Wind Waker fight is lame by comparison.

Both fights were awesome for different reasons, but Wind Waker takes the cake for me for one reason alone: Link stabs Ganon in the friggin face!

That alone wins all! :D

Brainiac 8 on
    3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
    Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
    Add me!
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    You haven't given us anything to go on either. You responded to my criticism with the same sort of opinions. If they're enough for you to illustrate the respective strengths and weaknesses, they're good enough for me. Just because reasoning doesn't take up an entire paragraph doesn't make it less valid.

I also don't understand why we would need to resort to name calling or insulting each others' intelligence. Seems counter-productive.

fair enough

well for me, i basically play Zelda for the world. To step out and be
    smacked in the face with possibilites

And it is pretty open and shut that there is significantly more to do in the worlds of WW and MM than in TP. Do you disagree?

And the dungeons: I basically felt like I expended no mental energy in TP dungeons at all. You were given an item inside a room that had a puzzle involving that item. Now WWs dungeons have about the same difficulty (read: none) but in the 64 games you actually had to remember different parts of the dungeon and develop a mental picture of the whole thing to figure out how to get to the end. Most dungeons in the 64 even had puzzle mechanics that effected the dungeon as a whole. in the Gamecube games, the vast majority of rooms are self contained and therefore blindingly easy.

The way I understand it is that the dungeon sections of Zelda are basically puzzle games: What's the point of solving a puzzle you have already figured out a harder version of?

And this is partially due to the order in which the games came out but not entirely. I almost guarantee that if you go back and play either 64 zelda right now the dungeons will give you more trouble than the gamecube zeldas. Unless you've memorized them.

DodgeBlan on

• Options
    emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Wingo wrote: »
    The best parts of Twilight Princess have nothing to do with OoT. What does that tell you?
    That it's a great game because OoT was pretty terrible by comparison to everything that came later?

o_O

*stuffs UncleSporky into a rocket*
    *fires rocket into the sun*

emnmnme on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Not sure why all the arguing when A Link to the Past still has the best dungeons of the series. :P

Seriously though, I like both aspects of Zelda, as the game has always been part open world, part puzzle solving, part dungeon crawling. Each game has different ratios of these three things. Heck I love when the dungeons are the main attraction.

Brainiac 8 on
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Add me!
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    LttPs dungeons get fuckin' hard, man.

DodgeBlan on

• Options
    edited June 2010
    Yes, yes they do. To this day LttP is still my favorite Zelda game. Windwaker is up there too though. I love that visual style, and in fact Toon Link is one of my mains on SSBB due to how awesome he looks.

Edit: Also the whole face stabbing thing. :P

Brainiac 8 on
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Add me!
  • Options
    shadowaneshadowane Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I love LttP and Link's Awakening.

shadowane on
  • Options
    MikeRyuMikeRyu Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    TP definately feels like a game that had the rug pulled out during production.

However I still think that the crowning achievment was Midna. She started off unpleasant but somehow became the best companion any of the Links have had.

Ahh it's been so long since we've had a build up to a console Zelda. I've been dissapointed from the last two E3s but this time we've been told for sure, and with Nintendo's quicker debut to release setup now we should be able to avoid the ridiculously huge hype train of Twilight Princess.

MikeRyu on
    Ranmasig5.png
  • Options
    The Fourth EstateThe Fourth Estate Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    The best companion is clearly the King of Red Lions :P

The Fourth Estate on
  • Options
    Cameron_TalleyCameron_Talley Registered User regular
    edited June 2010

At least he's non-invasive. Although Midna didn't bother me too much. It was a bit annoying at first, but then after carrying her back to Zelda on her deathbed with that haunting music playing (easily the best music in TP), I changed my mind.

Cameron_Talley on
    Switch Friend Code: SW-4598-4278-8875
    3DS Friend Code: 0404-6826-4588 PM if you add.
  • Options
    ChenChen Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    kingisajerk6.jpg
    Clearly.

Chen on
    V0Gug2h.png
  • Options
    MikeRyuMikeRyu Registered User regular
    edited June 2010

He was cool but Midna was just better :mrgreen:

MikeRyu on
    Ranmasig5.png
  • Options
    nealcmnealcm Alvarian AlvarianRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    shadowane wrote: »

i loved link's awakening too, must've replayed that 20 times. but you know whats funny?

every single playthrough i got stuck in the 7th dungeon. i don't know why, but i always, always, always got stuck trying to figure out how to get the rod in that level. something about the way you get to the block-changing crystal in one particular room, i just always ALWAYS forgot how to get there.

nealcm on
    19ZUtIw.png
  • Options
    nstfnstf __BANNED USERS regular
    edited June 2010
    I... I didn't like any of the Zeldas after LttP. They just didn't click with me. I know they aren't bad games, they just didn't sit well with me.

I remember when I got the first Zelda and how epic that was, nothing was like it. 2 was kinda odd, but it grew on me. The gameboy one was nice, the ending was a bit whack. But LttP was epic. The OOT, wasn't nearly as epic, and the fact that it was "zomg 3d" didn't really sell me on it, and it felt less dark then the other ones, more like a cartoonish joke. Series kinda fell apart for me there.

And now, thanks to this thread, I need to play LttP again.

nstf on
  • Options
    shadowaneshadowane Registered User regular
    edited June 2010

i loved link's awakening too, must've replayed that 20 times. but you know whats funny?

every single playthrough i got stuck in the 7th dungeon. i don't know why, but i always, always, always got stuck trying to figure out how to get the rod in that level. something about the way you get to the block-changing crystal in one particular room, i just always ALWAYS forgot how to get there.

That temple and the one with the ball and pillars one. Turtle Rock. That one was monstrous.

shadowane on
  • Options
    KorKor Known to detonate from time to time Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    The ball and pillars one is the Eagle's Tower in LA. I think nealcm is talking about the 5th dungeon of the dark world, the Ice dungeon, because you have to push a block into a hole from a floor above, and then push it again to reach the final boss. Of course, you can cheat this by going to the 6th dungeon first, and getting the Cane of Somaria.

Kor on
    DS Code: 3050-7671-2707
    Pokemon Safari - Sneasel, Pawniard, ????
  • Options
    Andy JoeAndy Joe We claim the land for the highlord! The AdirondacksRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I don't get people who say that Ganondorf was put in at the last minute in TP. Zant alludes to a "god" above him after the third dungeon, and there's the flashback cutscene after the fourth showing Ganondorf obtaining divine power and getting sealed in the Twilight Realm. Are you honestly telling that there's anyone who didn't put two and two together right there and figure that Ganon would be the real final boss?

Andy Joe on
    XBL: Stealth Crane PSN: ajpet12 3DS: 1160-9999-5810 NNID: StealthCrane Pokemon Scarlet Name: Carmen
  • Options
    hoodie13hoodie13 punch bro Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Andy Joe wrote: »
    I don't get people who say that Ganondorf was put in at the last minute in TP. Zant alludes to a "god" above him after the third dungeon, and there's the flashback cutscene after the fourth showing Ganondorf obtaining divine power and getting sealed in the Twilight Realm. Are you honestly telling that there's anyone who didn't put two and two together right there and figure that Ganon would be the real final boss?

They're not talking about last minute in the chronology of the plot. They're saying last-minute of the development cycle.

hoodie13 on
    PSN: HoodieThirteen
    XBL: Torn Hoodie
    @hoodiethirteen
  • Options
    TelMarineTelMarine Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    imo, Wind Waker gets over praised around here. Reason? Because a ton of people chastised the switch in art style and a lot of the ocarina of time fans hated it. You guys are overcompensating! It got totally undeserved hate for sure(it was a great game). For example, lots of people criticized the many islands which were a few rocks/served no purpose. For me, even though a lot of the islands did seem to have no point in being there, I actually liked going and trying to mark every single one on my map. I also thought getting all the different maps was pretty fun too.

Twilight Princess to me was a refinement of the existing formula. You had the base items, then they added in some pretty interesting ones (one which I do agree didn't have much use outside of the dungeon you get it in, a missed opportunity there), and I thought the combat was better then Wind Waker. Wind Waker was too automatic and easy. Wait for cue to press 'A' to do counter attack, rinse and repeat. At least twilight princess changed it to be manual control to make it a bit more interesting and added the hidden skills which were fun to mess around with and satisfying to use. I thought the dungeons were pretty well done, I thought Ocarina took a while to really get going and Wind Waker had dungeons trimmed which was disappointing but a reality of meeting a deadline. Also, I'm glad they added more warping. Yeah, I like exploring in Zelda, it definitely has always been apart of the game, but it gets annoying going to place X, get quest, go all the way back to place Y to turn in. A lot of that open land with some enemies here and there, it just turns into a giant waste of time and serves no purpose. Wind Waker had it, but to a much more limited extent I think.

Wanted to add this by Fourth Estate: "Swordfighting Ganondorf in TP is not enjoyable as the player has little emotional investment beyond nostalgia; ..."

Like I said earlier, I view ganon the samething as Bowser in Mario. He is THE villain, the story behind him, well whatever who cares. It's cool to see him show up because this is the basis of the game. Ganon kidnaps Zelda in some way, you go save her. You can change who the boss is sure, but it really doesn't matter ultimately. The final boss represents that you have reached the end of the game. It is there to explain why your character is doing the things he is. I think it is more important that the end boss is fun and I thought TP did it well, I liked the different fights, felt varied. It wasn't that hard, but I thought it was enjoyable.

ahh, just noticed you said SWORDFIGHTING ganondorf, well, consider my statement about ganondorf in general.

TelMarine on
    3ds: 4983-4935-4575
  • Options
    ProspicienceProspicience The Raven King DenvemoloradoRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010

That temple and the one with the ball and pillars one. Turtle Rock. That one was monstrous.

Yeah, I never got past the Turtle Rock :( I think I still have it in my gameboy light somewhere back in my mom's basement.... that dungeon still haunts me.

Prospicience on
  • Options
    RustRust __BANNED USERS regular
    edited June 2010
    TelMarine wrote: »
    imo, Wind Waker gets over praised around here. Reason? Because a ton of people chastised the switch in art style and a lot of the ocarina of time fans hated it. You guys are overcompensating!

it's not because of backlash, WW gets praised because it was a good game

likewise, TP often gets lambasted because it was a mediocre game

that's really all there is to say on the matter

Rust on
  • Options
    Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Andy Joe wrote: »

He has absolutely zero presence though. When you have a good villain, you should feel his menace at all times, even when he's not directly confronting you. In OoT, during the first half of the game you're moving right on Ganondorf's heels, he's just a step ahead of you until he manages to manipulate you into opening up the temple of time for him. In the second half Hyrule has gone to hell and everywhere you go you can see how Ganondorf has tainted the once happy and charming world you knew as a child, even though he doesn't actually show up again until the very end. MM's a similar situation, where Majora and Skull Kid have completely ruined the country, and you have to fight to slowly drive back their influence. During WW we know from the start that Ganon is building up his power, and the narrative hammers it home that unless you act quickly he'll be too strong to defeat.

In TP, Zant is the one who has a presence throughout the story, not Ganondorf. It's Zant that has conquered Hyrule, it's Zant that has cursed your companion and yourself, and it's Zant that shows up halfway through to kick your ass and beat Midna within an inch of her life. The only time we see Ganon before the finale is a cutscene in which he gets beaten. Any feeling we have about fighting him is either uncomfortably transferred feelings that we had about Zant, or just us calling upon our memories of him from the prior games. He makes no direct mark upon the narrative himself until it's too late.

If they wanted to have that twist, it should have happened at the halfway point. Have the fused shadows give us access to the Twilight Palace, we beat Zant almost suspiciously easily, and then Ganon reveals himself and almost kills Midna.

Man... why does that sound so familiar. It's almost like... almost like it's the plot of one of best Zeldas ever...

Speed Racer on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Wind Waker also had one of my favorite twists in the series when you found out about just what was under the sea.

I was all like :shock: then a good helping of D: then finally :( .

Brainiac 8 on
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Add me!
  • Options
    DHSDHS Chase lizards.. ...bark at donkeys..Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Rust wrote: »
    imo, Wind Waker gets over praised around here. Reason? Because a ton of people chastised the switch in art style and a lot of the ocarina of time fans hated it. You guys are overcompensating!

Yeah, it's not mediocre. It just was cooked for too long, it shouldn't have been made into a Wii game, really. It's just a good refinement of the OOT formula, it just didn't do enough different to justify being a new console launch title.

DHS on
    "Grip 'em up, grip 'em, grip 'em good, said the Gryphon... to the pig."
  • Options
    TelMarineTelMarine Registered User regular
    edited June 2010

it was a good game, but it was totally shit on when it came out. I mean, 'Celda' ? I bet a bunch of you hated that. Even in these forums there was a ton of debate back and forth about the art style (damn, now that I think about it, was quite a while ago). So I say some are over praising now that time has gone by. Seems like the opposite for TP. Gushed over and praised when it initially came out, now it gets shit on just like Wind Waker was.

TelMarine on
    3ds: 4983-4935-4575
  • Options
    Alfred J. KwakAlfred J. Kwak is it because you were insulted when I insulted your hair?Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    The introduction sequence of Midna was easily the best part of TTP. She was fun while she was a mean bitch to you. I didn't like her character as much anymore when she became more attached to you. And oh god, I just remembered that she transforms back into her 'real' form at the end. That was so unnecessary.

Alfred J. Kwak on
  • Options
    Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I don't hate TP, I think it's perfectly fine, but I definitely don't like it as much as the other 3D Zeldas.

It's just like

a piece of white bread

Speed Racer on
  • Options
    DeaderinredDeaderinred Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    i liked the style of WW but the game side was boringly mediocre, TP was the same (and PH, not played ST because of that)

shigsy really needs to come back and take full control of a game and bring back the joys of Lttp, LA and OOT (with MM thrown in too).

Deaderinred on
  • Options
    ghost_master2000ghost_master2000 Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    All I've got to say is: Poor gannon.

I mean he just escapes and get's resealed over and over again. How much does that have to suck?

ghost_master2000 on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    i liked the style of WW but the game side was boringly mediocre, TP was the same (and PH, not played ST because of that)

shigsy really needs to come back and take full control of a game and bring back the joys of Lttp, LA and OOT (with MM thrown in too).

MM was the first game that was completely run by the other guy whose name escapes me right now.

Speed Racer on
  • Options
    LaPuzzaLaPuzza Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    DHS wrote: »

Yeah, it's not mediocre. It just was cooked for too long, it shouldn't have been made into a Wii game, really. It's just a good refinement of the OOT formula, it just didn't do enough different to justify being a new console launch title.

We all judge by expectation. I expected WW to suck, so I was blown away when it was good. I expected TP to be a lifechanging experience, and it couldn't meet those expectations. Going in cold, I'm not sure I'd feel strongly that one is "better" than the other.

Still, I expected OoT to be incredible, and it turned out to be much more fantastic than I hoped. It was such a leap in, well, everything a videogame could be that it was hard not to be in awe. Go back and read the reviews from the time: I don't think you'll ever see a game get as many no-fault reviews as that game recieved.

That being said, if I had the time to replay one, it'd be LttP.

LaPuzza on
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    nstf wrote: »
    I... I didn't like any of the Zeldas after LttP. They just didn't click with me. I know they aren't bad games, they just didn't sit well with me.

I remember when I got the first Zelda and how epic that was, nothing was like it. 2 was kinda odd, but it grew on me. The gameboy one was nice, the ending was a bit whack. But LttP was epic. The OOT, wasn't nearly as epic, and the fact that it was "zomg 3d" didn't really sell me on it, and it felt less dark then the other ones, more like a cartoonish joke. Series kinda fell apart for me there.

And now, thanks to this thread, I need to play LttP again.

This is a fair opinion (I mean, I don't agree with it; I like most Zelda games). Games transitioning from 2D to 3D doesn't work for everyone or every game series. Or maybe sometimes they just don't do it in the right manner.

Henroid on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Man

now I wish I had a version of LttP other than the GBA one. I wanna play it on a big screen.

Speed Racer on
  • Options
    XagarathXagarath Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    In other news, the best 2D Zelda is Minish Cap.
    Only one to successfully translate the charm of WW into 2D, and the only game since LttP to actually have some new, interesting items rather than the same thing over and over again.

Xagarath on
This discussion has been closed.