As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[HUXLEY] closed beta is up!

2»

• Options
    JeixJeix Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    tallgeeze wrote: »
    Is there any other way to get in this without me having to become a fileplanet subscriber?

This is now open to all fileplanet users.

Jeix on
  • Options
    Ash-HousewaresAsh-Housewares TARDIS Hunter Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Jeix wrote: »
    tallgeeze wrote: »
    Is there any other way to get in this without me having to become a fileplanet subscriber?

This is now open to all fileplanet users.

Went Mutates. I gotta spend some time on the beta forums before I can start playing.

Ash-Housewares on
  • Options
    JeixJeix Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Man, I can't get into the closed beta forums for some reason.

Is the NDA still up? I mean anyone can just log in and play so I would guess not.

I went sapiens and tried out all the classes. At this point there is not reason to play anything but the mid-range guy.

It gets a rocket launcher which holds 15 shots and kills almost everything in the first instance in 1 hit when you set the instance difficulty to max. It does more damage then a headshot from a sniper rifle. And it is a burst, with almost no need to aim.

Jeix on
  • Options
    TrebzTrebz Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Well, I got a beta key from Fileplanet and just finished installing, so let's see how this works out. I was really excited for this game a few years back and I owe it to myself to see what it's turned into, no matter how mediocre it may be. By the way, I'll be playing as Trebz.

Trebz on
  • Options
    mitchellmitchell Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    hey does anyone know what the little yellow marks that occasionally come up by your crosshairs mean?

mitchell on
  • Options
    DiannaoChongDiannaoChong Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Jeix wrote: »
    I went sapiens and tried out all the classes. At this point there is not reason to play anything but the mid-range guy.

It gets a rocket launcher which holds 15 shots and kills almost everything in the first instance in 1 hit when you set the instance difficulty to max. It does more damage then a headshot from a sniper rifle. And it is a burst, with almost no need to aim.

sniper is terrible. they dont give you enough ammo to handle he littlest of spawns without having to run to a reload station. and then in an arena you have to fighting using zooming weapons with little ammo in close quarters maps. someone told me it gets much much better later. i dont really see how.

DiannaoChong on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    A duck!A duck! Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited August 2009
    Ugh, I just used a Phantom pre-cloak on a deathmatch arena.

My ratio will never recover.

A duck! on
  • Options
    TheLawinatorTheLawinator Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Are there any real big pvp battle type deals yet? When I played it was a tiny shitty UT clone.

TheLawinator on
    My SteamID Gamertag and PSN: TheLawinator
  • Options
    WraithXt1WraithXt1 Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    I dont think this should be called an MMOFPS. It's a chat room interface that launches a UT3 game once you select a party. Nothing more, nothing less.

An MMOFPS is Planetside or WW2 Online...this is not.

WraithXt1 on
    WraithXt1.png
  • Options
    EliminationElimination Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Downloading the beta now. Hope its decent.

Elimination on
    PSN: PA_Elimination 3DS: 4399-2012-1711 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/TheElimination/
  • Options
    FreakinchairFreakinchair Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    WraithXt1 wrote: »
    I dont think this should be called an MMOFPS. It's a chat room interface that launches a UT3 game once you select a party. Nothing more, nothing less.

Have you played it? You do missions, gain exp, get new gear and level up. This is an MMOFPS probably truer than Planetside and WW2 Online. Now, if youre talking about the scale of things, then yes, its not exactly an MMOFPS.

Maybe they should call it a MMORPGFPS. Rolls off the tongue easy-like.

Freakinchair on
    I'd construct a situation such that everyone died at the exact same moment so that we could attack whatever afterlife there happens to be en masse and so take it over and create a perfect unending afterlife existence. Also, everyone who wanted one would have an afterlife pony.
  • Options
    tallgeezetallgeeze Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    I tried playing last week. After installing a bunch of stuff I read that it's only up for limited time of day. The two or three times I got in I couldn't either get into game or the server channel list thing never showed up for me. Alot of random disconnects as well.

When I did get in it was a big sniper and rocket launcher fest. I'll try again today, but it's not looking too good. At least it looks pretty.

tallgeeze on
  • Options
    MorvidusMorvidus Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    It's an MMOFPLBRPG. Massively Multiplayer First-Person Lobby-Based Role Playing Game. Jesus tits, the abbreviations...

I've tried this beta on 4 different PCs. Every single one froze up as I tried to finish the first quest. They all simply dropped the connection, so I blame my ISP.

Morvidus on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Im enjoying myself a lot so far. Only thing i am not liking is how weak the machine gun is compared to the rockets. Seems a little unbalanced at this moment. As a mid range character i dont even use my machine gun, its horrible innacurate and does very little damage, where as my rocket thrower or whatever the hell they call it (its not really a launcher its more of a rifle that shoots mini RPG's.) is way more accurate, does splash damage, and can kill in one or two shots. I understand it is still in closed beta though, and im looking forward to future patches because this game has a ton of potential. It sure looks pretty too, even if it does kind of look like gears of war crossed with UTIII, its still has great graphics for a game thats going free.

Elimination on
    PSN: PA_Elimination 3DS: 4399-2012-1711 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/TheElimination/
  • Options
    mitchellmitchell Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    mitchell wrote: »
    hey does anyone know what the little yellow marks that occasionally come up by your crosshairs mean?

mitchell on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Is there another town after this training facility? This place is starting to bore me.

Elimination on
  • Options
    Ash-HousewaresAsh-Housewares TARDIS Hunter Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Is there another town after this training facility? This place is starting to bore me.

Yeah. Once you reach level 7 or get enough cash you can leave the training area.

Ash-Housewares on
  • Options
    edited August 2009

Yeah. Once you reach level 7 or get enough cash you can leave the training area.

How? D:

Elimination on
  • Options
    Cynic JesterCynic Jester Registered User regular
    edited August 2009

Have you played it? You do missions, gain exp, get new gear and level up. This is an MMOFPS probably truer than Planetside and WW2 Online. Now, if youre talking about the scale of things, then yes, its not exactly an MMOFPS.

That makes it a FPSRPG, not an MMORPG. There's nothing massive about a game of UT3, and this is UT3 with progression.

Cynic Jester on
  • Options
    edited August 2009

That makes it a FPSRPG, not an MMORPG. There's nothing massive about a game of UT3, and this is UT3 with progression.

At least they tried to do something different than generic Fantasy MMO # 3769, i for one find this game refreshing. And it is an MMO in the same vain as Guild Wars was an MMO, a lot of people dont call that game an MMO either simply because its instanced. I think it's an MMO still, but thats an argument thats always ongoing, its really up to each person to decide what they personally think the word MMO means. If everyone is playing in the same game world, to me thats an MMO, it has to do with multiplayer, not a giant world.

Elimination on
  • Options
    Bryse EayoBryse Eayo Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    I was about to download this but it ends tomorrow apparently.

Bah. :(

Bryse Eayo on