Options

Comics News II: Electric Boogaloo

• Options
    FaynorFaynor Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    wirehead26 wrote: »
    OK so both New and Dark Avengers crosses over into Siege, I expected that, but hopefully with the event lasting only 4 issues books like Cap and Iron Man can get away without crossing over. Bendis can probably put those characters in New or Dark Avengers anyway.

Eeeeeeh.

He said, specifically, that certain Avengers would be getting tie-in issues. Thor is going to tie in because Osborn is trying to conquer Asgard, so I'd be more inclined to think Cap and Iron Man will have an issue.

Faynor on
    do you wanna see me eat a hotdog
  • Options
    wwtMaskwwtMask Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Bloods End wrote: »
    So Brian Azzarello is doing an all pulp universe for DC

http://comicbookresources.com/?page=article&id=23294

This sounds so awesome. I'm all over it like white on rice. Shit, I might actually have to start buying the new Spirit and Doc Savage books.

wwtMask on
    When he dies, I hope they write "Worst Affirmative Action Hire, EVER" on his grave. His corpse should be trolled.
    Twitter - @liberaltruths | Google+ - http://gplus.to/wwtMask | Occupy Tallahassee
  • Options
    HenslerHensler Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    wwtMask wrote: »
    No one has mentioned Doomwar and it saddens me. The Black Panther creative team is putting BP on hiatus for the 5 issue Doomwar miniseries, in which T'Challa and the FF and some of the X-Men and Deadpool take on Doom and a new villain called the Broker. I anticipate good things.

I'm more excited for Doomwar than I am for Siege. The Fanastic Four, X-Men, and Deadpool vs Dr. Doom? Hells yes. I've been a fan of Jonathan Maberry since we were in the same writing group together, and was fucking ecstatic when he took over on Black Panther. He's got a great grasp of combat situations, and I think we're going to see some of the coolest moments of the year come out of Doomwar.

Hensler on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Ain't never gonna care about Black Panther, ain't never gonna care about Doomwar.

That's a super dumb name, too!

Faynor on
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    It'll end with Panther putting Doom in a headlock.

Fencingsax on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Faynor wrote: »
    Ain't never gonna care about Black Panther, ain't never gonna care about Doomwar.

Go away. http://forums.penny-arcade.com/showthread.php?t=95597&page=83

Hensler on
  • Options
    TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Hensler wrote: »
    No one has mentioned Doomwar and it saddens me. The Black Panther creative team is putting BP on hiatus for the 5 issue Doomwar miniseries, in which T'Challa and the FF and some of the X-Men and Deadpool take on Doom and a new villain called the Broker. I anticipate good things.

I'm more excited for Doomwar than I am for Siege. The Fanastic Four, X-Men, and Deadpool vs Dr. Doom? Hells yes. I've been a fan of Jonathan Maberry since we were in the same writing group together, and was fucking ecstatic when he took over on Black Panther. He's got a great grasp of combat situations, and I think we're going to see some of the coolest moments of the year come out of Doomwar.

Hopefully Doomwar isn't neutered by Seige. It does seem like it might be a good event, because you have Storm calling in favors form the X-Men, T'Challa calling in favors from the FF, and would add something to having BP be a foil for Doom instead of Reed or Tony.

TexiKen on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    TexiKen wrote: »

Hopefully Doomwar isn't neutered by Seige. It does seem like it might be a good event, because you have Storm calling in favors form the X-Men, T'Challa calling in favors from the FF, and would add something to having BP be a foil for Doom instead of Reed or Tony.

After Doom tried to assisinate BP, this fight has brewing for a while now. It actually works pretty well for them to be up against each other. Both are super genius, mystically powered heads of state.

Hensler on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Faynor wrote: »

Go away. http://forums.penny-arcade.com/showthread.php?t=95597&page=83

No? I'm not bitching about it, just voicing the fact that I will never be able to muster up the ability to care for anything Black Panther-related.

Thanks for trying to police the thread, though!

Faynor on
  • Options
    BalefuegoBalefuego Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Faynor, Black Panther actually used to be really cool before the Hudlin relaunch buried him.

The Priest run was so good.

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    What was cool about it? I've heard the Priest run was good before, but never really heard exactly why.

Faynor on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    He did politics and stuff without making so over the top "hurr durr America hates black people"

He also made Wakanda seem like a place actually worthwhile to the global economy, not some afterthought token South African Nation full of xenophobes.

TexiKen on
  • Options
    DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    yesss

BCC: James Stokoe Makes An "Orc Stain"

Man, I love Stokoe. this is great.

DouglasDanger on
  • Options
    MunchMunch Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Yeah, that looks great.

You know, even with sci-fi and crime comics making a comeback, there really is a dearth of good fantasy comics in the market. The last one I can think of that I really enjoyed was Rokkin, which was canceled after only six issues.

Munch on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    George Tuska died

He was a good clean storyteller. His style was sort of a mix between Kirby and Sal Buscema.

TexiKen on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    That's too bad, Tuska had some nice pages in the Essential Captain America book that I've copied several times.

Hensler on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    TEEN TITANS #79
    Written by Felicia D. Henderson; co-feature written by Sean McKeever
    Art by Joe Bennett & Jack Jadson; co-feature art by Yildiray Cinar & Júlio Ferreira
    Cover by Joe Bennett and Jack Jadson
    Now that he’s had time to acclimate to normal life since the TERROR TITANS miniseries, Static makes the choice to go home and tell his family that he’s alive. And he’s bringing his Teen Titans teammates with him. Let’s hope they can survive the rough streets of Dakota!
    Plus: Ravager...slave girl!
    On sale January 27 • 40 pg, FC, $3.99 US

Just to make sure I'm not misinterpreting this, DC is promoting Teen Titans with the promise of a teenage "slave girl," yes? And given the short, succinct, sensationalist phrasing, I'm not wrong to take it in a, "Princess Leia, slave girl," kind of way right? I mean, the story could be about Ravager captured and forced to work in a diamond mine or something, but that's not what I'm getting from this.

Munch on
  • Options
    DrakeonDrakeon Registered User regular
    edited October 2009

After Doom tried to assisinate BP, this fight has brewing for a while now. It actually works pretty well for them to be up against each other. Both are super genius, mystically powered heads of state.

So um, I love me some Deadpool, but why exactly is he a part of Doomwar again?

Drakeon on
    PSN: Drakieon XBL: Drakieon Steam: TheDrakeon
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Drakeon wrote: »
    So um, I love me some Deadpool, but why exactly is he a part of Doomwar again?
    As for Deadpool, well...depending on which of his personalities you ask, he’s either in it for the money, or in it for the chicks.

Or both.

Probably both.

He gets hired by T’Challa and the Black Panther to come in and lead a special wet-works team, doing some things that the more moral and mainstream heroes would not do.

It’s also important to understand that Doctor Doom is a master strategist; but strategy is based largely on knowing the nature and specifics of your resources. How the hell do you strategize with a wildcard like Deadpool? He’s Chaos Theory in red tights.

Munch on
  • Options
    BalefuegoBalefuego Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    is Black Panther readable again?

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Balefuego wrote: »
    is Black Panther readable again?

I've liked it since Maberry started writing with issue #7. A lot of the big time Panther fans are pissed that T'Challa isn't the Panther right now, but he's still a major character in the book.

Hensler on
  • Options
    Bloods EndBloods End Blade of Tyshalle Punch dimensionRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    So the Spike TV Scream were the other day. They won't be televised till the 27th. The awards are so terrible that it's not really worth mentioning that Geoff Johns got best comic writer.

The main reason I'm posting is because this is what Stan Lee rode in on.

1255996833139.jpg

Bloods End on
  • Options
    Bloods EndBloods End Blade of Tyshalle Punch dimensionRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Huh.

Nickelodeon buys up the rights for the TMNT franchise for 60 million
    http://www.reuters.com/article/pressRelease/idUS136549+21-Oct-2009+PRN20091021

Bloods End on
  • Options
    ThaneThane Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I'm impressed that the Turtles still have that much of an economic hold on the entertainment industry

Thane on
    286v37l.jpg
  • Options
    DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    OH man, awesome. Image Comics is reprinting Five Fists of Science!
    io9
    Image Comics' reissue of Five Fists of Science, Matt Fraction and Steven Saunders' alternate-history tale of Twain and Tesla teaming up to save the world from forces more ancient and deadly than many could imagine.

I missed it the first time. I'm getting it this time.

DouglasDanger on
  • Options
    wirehead26wirehead26 Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Hmm, Reborn #4 has been delayed until November 4. Not a massive delay or anything but Hitch's art better be top notch if this is his doing.

wirehead26 on
    I'M NOT FINISHED WITH YOU!!!
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Or what?

I am Hitch whatcha gonna do to me huh

Faynor on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Also Flash Rebirth #5 is delayed again or something.

TexiKen on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Cup of Joe on Siege and Second Coming
    Kiel Phegley: User Steven Ghost was connecting the dots between some of the newly announced projects when he asked, "With Doom's role in the Cabal, will 'Siege' and 'DoomWar' have any relation to each other, or will they be completely separate stories?"

Joe Quesada: The simple answer, Steven Ghost, is that the story told in "DoomWar" continues the story that began in “Dark Reign," culminating with Dr. Doom's attempted assassination of T'Challa and his role in overthrowing that kingdom. In "DoomWar," some of Marvel's biggest heroes say, “Enough is enough," and team up to take him on. It's two Black Panthers, the X-Men and the FF on one side; Doom and his arsenal on the other. Oh yeah, and throw the lunatic known as Deadpool into the mix, stir and enjoy.

That didn't answer the question at all, how is that the simple answer?

Faynor on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    I'm sorry, was that Quesada or Nancy Pelosi answering the question? [waka waka]

That was a terrible response, and even more annoying that Kiel didn't even follow up and say "You didn't answer the question, Joe." He's not going to send you to the gulags or anything, come on.

Edit: And Kyle and Yost are leaving X-Force after Second Coming. Jason Aaron should be the replacement writer, because it would be great.

TexiKen on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    I want to see a Cup O' Joe where Quesada answers every question with a very long, rambling anecdote that only vaguely relates to the original query.

Munch on
  • Options
    HadjiQuestHadjiQuest Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Re: Kyle and Yost leaving X-Force

Interesting.

Had Kyle and Yost ever done a main universe ongoing before then? I'm wondering if some newer talent will be assigned to it.

Aaron would be pretty cool, though. Have Weapon X trades been solicited? I had to drop some books months back, and I ended up leaving Weapon X because it felt like the absolute perfect book for trade waiting.

HadjiQuest on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Not yet.

What sucks about Weapon X is that the sales have plummeted, because retailers had no idea how to gauge it because Marvel moves so much stuff around with making existing books a new characters book with ongoing numbering. Is it the primary Wolverine title or is Origins? How long is Dark Wolverine going to be Daken's book?

It went from nearly 100k units with #1 to mid 40k by issue 4. That's brutal. And it sucks because Jason Aaron is writing a really good story.

TexiKen on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Not yet.

What sucks about Weapon X is that the sales have plummeted, because retailers had no idea how to gauge it because Marvel moves so much stuff around with making existing books a new characters book with ongoing numbering. Is it the primary Wolverine title or is Origins? How long is Dark Wolverine going to be Daken's book?

It went from nearly 100k units with #1 to mid 40k by issue 4. That's brutal. And it sucks because Jason Aaron is writing a really good story.

It was the best handling of Wolverine solo in a long, long time.

Unfortunately, it was also $4 an issue and somewhat superfluous to my needs.

What other books are there? (Dark) Wolverine and Wolverine Origins?

Isn't origins ending soon? Once it gets to #50 or something?

Is Wolverine: First Class still going?

HadjiQuest on
  • Options
    wirehead26wirehead26 Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I think Way said he planned on having Origins run for 60 issues but to be honest he just needs to give that book up and concentrate on Deadpool and Dark Wolverine.

Hearing those sales figures for Weapon X kinda makes me feel guilty about trade waiting for it but I'm sticking to my guns. I plan on reading all the books from Marvels "Write Stuff" writers mostly in trade format.

wirehead26 on
    I'M NOT FINISHED WITH YOU!!!
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Ouch, those are low numbers from Weapon X, especially since it's the only good Wolverine book right now. And it has Maverick in it. I love me some Maverick. I don't think it's in danger of getting canceled with 40k sales, but I'd still like to see it outsell at least Origins.

Hensler on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    As a guy who primarily reads DC but occassionally picks up some Marvel stuff, 40k as a low kind of blows my mind. All of the Superbooks are around 36K right now, and they're the fucking Superbooks.

Is the cancellation point different for Marvel and DC?

HadjiQuest on
  • Options
    Futt BuckerFutt Bucker CTRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    HadjiQuest wrote: »
    As a guy who primarily reads DC but occassionally picks up some Marvel stuff, 40k as a low kind of blows my mind. All of the Superbooks are around 36K right now, and they're the fucking Superbooks.

Is the cancellation point different for Marvel and DC?

I think the cancellation point for most books is around 14K. Blue Beetle was selling at around 12K when it was axed. But if they want to keep a book alive, like Jonah Hex, they will.

Futt Bucker on
    My color is black to the blind
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    What were Exiles and Captain Britain selling when they got the cancelled?

Faynor on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    For Marvel, it's really more around 20k. She-Hulk was trending sharply downward for a long time, and was canceled at something like 23k.

There's a lot of factors to consider, like how a book does in TPB, how much the company wants to push the character, and that kind of thing. Ms. Marvel, Guardians of the Galaxy, Nova, and Black Panther aren't huge sellers, but they're relatively consistent, and they fill a niche that Marvel wants occupied within their publishing catalog, so as long as they're not losing money, Marvel will keep them around.

Ditto for stuff like Blue Beetle, Atom, and Jonah Hex, all of which sell/sold considerably worse than Marvel's low-selling titles. Except DC's actually okay with stuff losing money, as they're supported by AOL Time Warner.

Munch on