Options

Comics News II: Electric Boogaloo

• Options
    The Lovely BastardThe Lovely Bastard Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Munch wrote: »
    I'm really not trying to be an asshole, but the dude simply cannot write.

you should write him an angry email like you did with your buddy sean mckeever

The Lovely Bastard on
    7656367.jpg
  • Options
    TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Munch got up in McKeever's grill?

TexiKen on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    dag he did

it was whack

The Lovely Bastard on
    7656367.jpg
  • Options
    Unco-ordinatedUnco-ordinated NZRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Munch wrote: »

Ha. I love how he chose a pretty well written book to take over and an artist that's recently gotten a lot of high profile work. It's like he's full of himself or something.

Hopefully whatever Tomasi's writing now isn't just a BN spinoff or something.

Unco-ordinated on
    Steam ID - LiquidSolid170 | PSN ID - LiquidSolid
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    I would buy a new ongoing series of Guy Gardner: Ass Kicker if Tomasi wrote it. Maybe DC realized they should put him on Batman.

TexiKen on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    well Warrior is due for a revamp

The Lovely Bastard on
    7656367.jpg
  • Options
    HenslerHensler Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    At least he says he's going to follow up on Geo-Force and the events of Last Will. I thought that was a cool story and was hoping more would come of it.

Wait, I mean... Didio sucks, boo!

Hensler on
  • Options
    MunchMunch Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Hensler wrote: »
    At least he says he's going to follow up on Geo-Force and the events of Last Will. I thought that was a cool story and was hoping more would come of it.

Wait, I mean... Didio sucks, boo!

Last Will was the one where Geo-Force fought Deathstroke right?

Because I thought that was terrible.
    you should write him an angry email like you did with your buddy sean mckeever

I still feel a bit bad and embarrassed about being "that guy." I just happened to be having a shitty day at that time.

Munch on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    munch you can never not be that guy

it is part of what makes you neat

what makes you not neat is where's my artwork for sentry duty, bitch?

The Lovely Bastard on
    7656367.jpg
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Fuck you that's where!

Nah, I've admittedly been slacking a bit. But I'll have something for you by Saturday. Hopefully I can buckle down and get a page completed, but I make no promises.

Munch on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    it's okay munch

to quote myself

you are but a small cog in the machine of my eternal disappointment

The Lovely Bastard on
    7656367.jpg
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    TLB just take over your comic, be Jim Shooter

TexiKen on
  • Options
    DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    DODGEM LOGIC: Colliding ideas to see what happens.

Forty years after the uproarious heyday of the alternative press, writer Alan Moore is launching the 21st century’s first underground magazine from his home town of Northampton, a community that is right at the geographical, political and economic heart of the country; one which has half its high street boarded up and is at present dying on its arse, just like everywhere else.

Drawing upon an overlooked and energetic pool of local talent as well as numerous friends and co-conspirators from comic books, the arts or entertainment, Dodgem Logic sets out to provide a splash of subterranean exotica in a bleached-out cultural and social landscape. Published every other month by counter-culture veterans KNOCKABOUT, Dodgem Logic is a forty page full-colour spectacle that, in addition, has an eight-page local section in each issue, thus inviting other areas to publish regional editions by providing their own inserts.
    http://www.moorereppion.com/announcing-alan-moores-dodgem-logic/02/10/2009/
    hm. I have never read a "zine", but this sounds pretty neat. It is going to have art by Kev O'Oneil and the lost girls artist.I have no idea if it will be possible to get it outside of the UK.

DouglasDanger on
  • Options
    FaynorFaynor Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Here are some preview pages from the most recent Cup of Joe involving Quasar and those Avenger dopplegangers.
    1254758137.jpg
    1254758236.jpg

Oh, and a bonus creepy fucking cover.
    1254758302.jpg

Also, I think this quote is noteworthy.
    Kiel Phegley: We had a few questions about the status of Nightcrawler pop up on the boards, and I wanted to start things off with Andyb, who had an interesting query about franchises crossing over. "Having had the chance to speak with Dan Slott in Chicago, he advised me that he had tried to get Nightcrawler on his Mighty Avengers team but that Matt Fraction wouldn't give the character up. I know certain characters are put into families such as the X-men or Avengers but what is the policy for letting other writers use them. I remember Kurt Busiek wanting to use the Beast in his Avengers but his being denied since Beast was consider an X-men. Currently in Uncanny, Nightcrawler is a background character who does not get much panel time in an overcrowded book where in Mighty he'd most likely have a more prominent role and perhaps a bring a few X-fans into the book. Shouldn't a writer's plans for a character supersede the idea that a character is a X-character or an Avenger?"

Joe Quesada: Well, at Marvel the way it works is simple. Certain characters belong to certain character families. This of course doesn't mean that they can't cross over into others, but to do that the editor and creators of the title that would like to use the character from a different family group need to check with the editor and creators of that character. The reason for this is that they may have plans for the character and placing him or her in certain titles, stories or situations would conflict with those plans.

For example, back when Brand New Day started, Steve Wacker and the Spider-Man creators, of which Dan was one, asked that there be a moratorium on classic Spidey villains in other Marvel books. The reason for this was because they were appearing in so many titles, that they were losing their impact and the Spider titles were suffering because of that. I agreed with this logic as the plan was to let some time pass and then allow the Spider group to revamp and reintroduce the villain heavy-hitters. So, as you can see, there are numerous reasons that can prevent a character from being borrowed.

But, the honest truth is that, more often than not, the answer to character borrowing is "yes." Take a look across the Marvel U and you'll see that there are characters from different families crossing into different titles all the time.

Nightcrawler on MA would have been neat, aside from Slott bein' bad. I personally like when the X-Men are more involved in the general universe. I mean, why can Wolverine be on nine teams, but other mutants can't?

Faynor on
    do you wanna see me eat a hotdog
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    That would have been something interesting.

It also makes no sense why they didn't let that happen because Fraction doesn't use Kurt, focusing on Pixie Power tee hee! And they even had a Nightcrawler one-shot where he left the team because Pixie was a better teleporter than him.

TexiKen on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Kiel sums it up. Nightcrawler's been fairly supporting in his role.

As Fraction pointed out later, which I notice in hindsight, it is sort of neat that over the course of the issues more and more people started to be pictured in his chapel, culminating when everyone went there at the end of Utopia. But still.

Faynor on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Well, in that case it's a matter of being a "supporting character" in one title vs. a "team member" on another book. And since both writers are on about equal footing as far as pull in Marvel, just let Slott have a crack at it. Maybe having a German make fun of Pym/Jocasta weirdness would work a lot more than Jarvis.

I always wanted to see Cyclops on the Avengers as a kid, back when it had no big players on the team (there was that Shi'ar chick). That way he could wear the Avengers bomber jacket instead.

TexiKen on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    every avenger ever was a big player

especially Jack of Hearts

The Lovely Bastard on
    7656367.jpg
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Stingray and Deathcry disagree.

TexiKen on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Their costumes make them big players. I have no idea who they are, but they look awesome

Faynor on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Seriously, though. There's something about blank face costumes like Stingray's that make me think, "Neato!"

I'm not sure why.

Faynor on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Deathcry is only an honorary Avenger it doesn't count

and Stingray is hells of important whatchu talkin' about

The Lovely Bastard on
    7656367.jpg
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    he is also only a reserve member

god you ain't know shit about nothin'

The Lovely Bastard on
    7656367.jpg
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Killing Steve Erwin isn't a cool thing for an Avenger to do.

TexiKen on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    he had to prove himself to Doctor Druid

The Lovely Bastard on
    7656367.jpg
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Faynor wrote: »
    Seriously, though. There's something about blank face costumes like Stingray's that make me think, "Neato!"

I'm not sure why.

High five Faynor.

Seriously, back when I was doing a bunch of those mock pitches in the creator thread, I wrote up like, half of one for Stingray before I shelved it. I think my fondness for him is primarily a holdover from his appearances in the Iron Man cartoon I watched as a kid.

Munch on
  • Options
    wirehead26wirehead26 Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Not really true comic news but I just thought I'd mention how small the trade for Spider-man: Noir is. I had some disposable income so I decided to browse Borders book store and noticed SM: Noir. I heard good things about it so I bought it but it's about the size of that Free Comic Book Day Avengers title earlier this year. I paid 15 for it which for the size seemed a bit high. Has there been any news that Marvel is printing more trade paper backs smaller?

For those who've never seen the FCBD Avengers book think of half way between the size of a digest and regular tpb size.

wirehead26 on
    I'M NOT FINISHED WITH YOU!!!
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    How many issues was SM Noir? 15 bucks for 6 issues wouldn't be bad in the FCBD format, but if it was 4 issues that's not cool.

TexiKen on
  • Options
    Magna InfernoMagna Inferno Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    yeah it was 4 issues. All the noir books have been 4 issues series as far as i'm aware

Magna Inferno on
    ultimates-1.png
  • Options
    ManetherenWolfManetherenWolf Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I got copies of the Spider Man Noir and X-Men Noir hardbacks for like $15 each or so.

Pretty good stuff. Gonna have to pick up the other ones when they release in HC.

edit: and these were full size, not smaller sized.

ManetherenWolf on
  • Options
    HadjiQuestHadjiQuest Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    wirehead26 wrote: »
    Not really true comic news but I just thought I'd mention how small the trade for Spider-man: Noir is. I had some disposable income so I decided to browse Borders book store and noticed SM: Noir. I heard good things about it so I bought it but it's about the size of that Free Comic Book Day Avengers title earlier this year. I paid 15 for it which for the size seemed a bit high. Has there been any news that Marvel is printing more trade paper backs smaller?

For those who've never seen the FCBD Avengers book think of half way between the size of a digest and regular tpb size.

Recent solicits for the last two or three months lead me to believe that Marvel will be continuing this trend. They already jacked up most of their books as singles, and now it's making the transition to trades.

HadjiQuest on
  • Options
    VirralVirral Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I hate this new trend of 4 issue mini's... I suppose if I bought floppies I wouldn't care, but buying a TPB for 4 issues feels like a waste. It's actively putting me off some mini's I might otherwise have considered picking up.

Virral on
    2vlp7o9.jpg
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Two recent 4 issue trades Marvel released were only $13 so I don't know what was so special about Spider-man: Noir. It wasn't even normal glossy paper, it was kinda like high quality newsprint but that might have been because of the content.

wirehead26 on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    You could post this question over at CBR so they might ask it to Quesada (instead of letting some guy get 5 questions about stupid stuff like "when will we see more of *insert C-list character here*?")

It's one thing to charge 15-16 bucks for a 4 issue trade of normal size, as that's the same as a $4/pop issue, but to make it that much on top of being a smaller size, that's a double dip. You don't double dip a chip.

TexiKen on
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    Faynor on
  • Options
    143999143999 Tellin' ya not askin' ya, not pleadin' with yaRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    So one of Namor/Emma's replacements on the Cabal is Taskmaster?

I mean, Taskmaster has my Seal of Approval and all, but I don't know if muscle memory is on the same level as, you know, Loki.

143999 on
    8aVThp6.png
  • Options
    ThaneThane Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    yaaay is this where Coipel vanished to?

Thane on
    286v37l.jpg
  • Options
    edited October 2009
    OK so both New and Dark Avengers crosses over into Siege, I expected that, but hopefully with the event lasting only 4 issues books like Cap and Iron Man can get away without crossing over. Bendis can probably put those characters in New or Dark Avengers anyway.

wirehead26 on
  • Options
    wwtMaskwwtMask Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    No one has mentioned Doomwar and it saddens me. The Black Panther creative team is putting BP on hiatus for the 5 issue Doomwar miniseries, in which T'Challa and the FF and some of the X-Men and Deadpool take on Doom and a new villain called the Broker. I anticipate good things.

wwtMask on
    When he dies, I hope they write "Worst Affirmative Action Hire, EVER" on his grave. His corpse should be trolled.
    Twitter - @liberaltruths | Google+ - http://gplus.to/wwtMask | Occupy Tallahassee
  • Options
    Bloods EndBloods End Blade of Tyshalle Punch dimensionRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    So Brian Azzarello is doing an all pulp universe for DC

http://comicbookresources.com/?page=article&id=23294

Bloods End on