Options

Good heavens Miss Sakamoto! - She blinded me with science

• Options
    SirToastySirToasty Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    you don't need dozens of transistors to store a single bit of information, but just two

the imitation of neurons is a very interesting thing though
    although I think I've read that some time ago already?
    Maybe they meant a byte of information. That is what, 8 bits? Something like that.

SirToasty on
  • Options
    DruhimDruhim Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited July 2009
    you don't need dozens of transistors to store a single bit of information, but just two

to say it's just an imitation of neurons is to ignore the real insight here
    this isn't just trying to imitate neurons, this is reporting a potentially key insight into how neurons result in intelligence beyond just networking
    the key thrust of the article is how the memristor properties may be an important key to the power of a brain beyond just the networking of the neurons
    and considering this is fairly recent research, I doubt you read specifically about memristor capabilities of neurons and are probably confusing it with something else you read about neural networking

Druhim on
    belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • Options
    tuggatugga Makin' movies Makin' songsRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Druhim wrote: »

this isn't just trying to imitate neurons, this is reporting a potentially key insight into how neurons result in intelligence beyond just networking
    the key thrust of the article is how the memristor properties may be an important key to the power of a brain beyond just the networking of the neurons
    and considering this is fairly recent research, I doubt you read specifically about memristor capabilities of neurons and are probably confusing it with something else you read about neural networking

i'd been thinking about how the brain stores and transmits information for awhile ive just been too busy to do any real research

now this article comes along and answers my question and starts towards the process i was gonna look into

tugga on
  • Options
    sarukunsarukun RIESLING OCEANRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    this is really cool
    I can't do it justice with a brief catchphrase
    just read the whole article

Fuckin' sweet.

sarukun on
  • Options
    SzechuanosaurusSzechuanosaurus Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited July 2009

Maybe he's a memristor bot from the future?

Szechuanosaurus on
  • Options
    MysstMysst King Monkey of Hedonism IslandRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
  • Options
    Lost SalientLost Salient blink twice if you'd like me to mercy kill youRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Oh no! I'm a bad dancer, how will I ever get girls to like me?

...but seriously, I am, um, not good at dancing. So it is okay with me if guys ain't got the dance moves.

Lost Salient on
    RUVCwyu.jpg
    "Sandra has a good solid anti-murderer vibe. My skin felt very secure and sufficiently attached to my body when I met her. Also my organs." HAIL SATAN
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    yeah but like all that is required of a woman is to

a)stick butt out
    b)shake dat azz

Mysst on
    ikbUJdU.jpg
  • Options
    HunterHunter Chemist with a heart of Au Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Mysst wrote: »
    yeah but like all that is required of a woman is to

a)stick butt out
    b)shake dat azz

Don't forget jiggle the boobies and maybe put her arms above her head.

Hunter on
  • Options
    Lost SalientLost Salient blink twice if you'd like me to mercy kill youRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    It's true, we get off easy in that sense
    Of course, in every other sense it takes a lot of practice

Lost Salient on
    RUVCwyu.jpg
    "Sandra has a good solid anti-murderer vibe. My skin felt very secure and sufficiently attached to my body when I met her. Also my organs." HAIL SATAN
  • Options
    AbracadanielAbracadaniel Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    So tell me more about how you get off easy LS.

Abracadaniel on
  • Options
    NotASenatorNotASenator Registered User regular
    edited July 2009

Notice how they only used heterosexual males, as putting gay men in would totally skew the balance against the straight guys who can't dance.

NotASenator on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Smart Hero wrote: »
    So tell me more about how you get off easy LS.

I would, but I'd much rather use up my daily quota of euphemism and innuendos at the expense of others

Lost Salient on
    RUVCwyu.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    ouch

Abracadaniel on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    I was listening to an interview with the head writer of Bullshit on the Amateur Scientist podcast, and they were discussing the lack of skeptical shows in modern culture. Obviously there's not an overwhelming amount, but I wanted to try to think of shows or characters who came close to hitting the mark.

There's plenty of shows that just lay on the woo pretty thick without any skeptical presence at all, like Medium (which I've actually heard is pretty good, like her relationship at home is very well written), Ghost Hunters (which is just straight up nonsense), Oprah, etc.

Then there are shows that have a token amount of skepticism but don't let it carry any weight. For example, Scully was a hard line critical thinker at the outset, but the woo was all real so she was always proven wrong, and eventually turned into just straight up accepting everything once the aliens abducted her. Fringe is all nonsense all the time, but they give it credence by having a genius scientist explain bullshit psuedoscience for why it is true. Instead of saying "think critically", it says "just believe it, because there's wacky mad science to explain it!"

There's plenty of shows that are based on the concept of critical examination but manage to still promote the supernatural. CSI, for example, and it's cadre of spin-offs stick to their mantra of evidence-based science until they want to do an episode where they completely misrepresent some subculture like voodoo or gothy vampires. While the characters do their normal routine, the show does every thing it can to glamourize whatever club-dwelling Twilight reject or ancient mystical medicine man they are investigating.

Psych and The Mentalist are both in an odd middle ground where they are openly satirizing or playing off the shows like Medium by placing the role of the supernatural into something based on reality. Psych gets a bit of a pass because it's a detective show crammed into a half hour comedy, and they do a great job of mocking the over the top psychics out there, but at the same time, most of his discoveries come from coincidentally noticing some random clue using a skill he was unexpectedly trained on since being a child. I might be asking too much of the show, and I love it all the same, but I would really like to get more in-depth into how his father learned his observational skills and how he taught Sean.

The Mentalist I haven't seen much of, and I liked the first few episodes. They do a little bit of exposition to explain how he does what he does, but after that, it just seems like he has some gift. They don't do much to explain what techniques he uses to get people to admit to things or do what they do, and that's the brilliance of a mentalist, the how. Otherwise, it's just a psychic detective show with a different name. I'd have to watch more to see if they go into it more.

Obviously Bullshit is in there as a purely skeptical show, and that medical show with Dr. Oz or whatever his name is apparently works to dispel a lot of medical myths, so those are both good. My favorite skeptical show is Mythbusters, which should probably be called "Demonstrating the Scientific Method". They do the best they can to add controls to their experiments and eliminate variables and are always willing to admit that the results of a test might be less conclusive than they hoped for.

But the guy in the interview pointed out one show that I hadn't even thought of, and it really amazed me when he said it, because it shows how easily you can integrate skepticism into the mainstream and keep it fun. Yeah, I'm looking at you guys:
    scooby-doo.jpg

Scooby Doo was like the X-Files but in reverse. Shaggy and Scooby were Scully, but were the believers, and in the end, rational thought and investigation proved that it was not the scary ghost at all, but just some guy trying to scam someone to steal some pirates gold or something. In hindsight, probably the greatest skeptical entertainment in modern culture. I know that everytime Shaggy and Scooby ran away and hid behind an armoire, I would think "don't be ridiculous, it's probably just the creepy gardener making noises and not really a possessed suit of armor."

And then I would think "man, I could really go for a sandwich right about now."

NotASenator on
  • Options
    autono-wally, erotibot300autono-wally, erotibot300 love machine Registered User regular
    edited July 2009

yeah, no
    and I didn't mean imitating neurons in software, or as blue brain does it, one neuron per processor, but as in imitating its work process.
    I am thoroughly impressed, and will catch up on memristor theory this semester break, for personal fun :P

autono-wally, erotibot300 on
    kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
  • Options
    cadmunkycadmunky One hand on the bottle, The other a shaking fist.Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    that is glorious and unexpected.

i'm going to ask the deli guy today for a shaggy sandwich.

cadmunky on
    5955603848_aed2690084.jpg
    "Think of it as Evolution in Action"
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    NaC, you are the first person to successfully make me feel bad for disliking Scooby Doo.

So, well done, I suppose?

Now I'm going to devote the rest of my evening to thinking of skeptics/skeptical shows in pop culture.

Lost Salient on
    RUVCwyu.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    yeah I still don't like scooby doo

Mysst on
    ikbUJdU.jpg
  • Options
    L|amaL|ama Registered User regular
    edited July 2009

But what if I refuse to dance, ever. Then they will never know how awful I am!

If scooby doo has taught me anything, it's that all haunted places are related to evil property developers.

L|ama on
  • Options
    FAQFAQ Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    scooby talks funny

FAQ on
  • Options
    AntimatterAntimatter Devo Was Right Gates of SteelRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Psych's an hour long. But other than that, agreed, NaS.

Antimatter on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Antimatter wrote: »
    Psych's an hour long. But other than that, agreed, NaS.

Oh you're right.

Well, points against Psych then. Then again, when an hour is not enough time to resolve their mysteries in a meaningful way sometimes, I guess I don't want them taking out time for other things.

In addition, in re-reading that hastily-written stream-of-consciousness post, I thought of a few other things to add:

Bullshit is absolutely not a purely skeptical show. It is probably 80% critical thinking and 20% libertarian propaganda.

I didn't mention Bones, because Emily Deschenel's character on that show is a superb hardline skeptic, but she is also sexy as hell and that makes me incredibly biased.

NotASenator on
  • Options
    JoeUserJoeUser Forum Santa Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Oh hooray, we needed another panic:

Viruses resistant to oseltamivir (Tamiflu) identified
    WHO has been informed by health authorities in Denmark, Japan and the Special Administrative Region of Hong Kong, China of the appearance of H1N1 viruses which are resistant to the antiviral drug oseltamivir (known as Tamiflu) based on laboratory testing.

(Note: it isn't actually a huge deal yet, but expect to see it on CNN shortly.)
    Therefore, based on current information, these instances of drug resistance appear to represent sporadic cases of resistance. At this time, there is no evidence to indicate the development of widespread antiviral resistance among pandemic H1N1 viruses. Based on this risk assessment, there are no changes in WHO's clinical treatment guidance. Antiviral drugs remain a key component of the public health response when used as recommended.

JoeUser on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    If a primetime network show was one part Mythbusters, one part Mr. Wizard, one part CSI and one part LOST with a lead like the guy from the Mentalist, I would watch the hell out of the show.

NotASenator on
  • Options
    Zen VulgarityZen Vulgarity What a lovely day for tea Secret British ThreadRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Should I feell bad that basically my whole job is to tell scientists that things are illegal

Zen Vulgarity on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Tamiflu is derived from another drug that you need to inhale for it to be effective, but people didn't like doing that so they altered it slightly to make it possible to take as a pill. Tamiflu is an ester of that other drug, so I think maybe it could still have an effect on tamiflu-resistant strains, but as I understand it the ester bit gets chopped off once it's in the body, so I think the active form is the same as that other drug and it might not. I dunno.

NAC: I might include House in that list, if only for the bits where he crushes the hopes of patients believing that god or something is going to help them, but then again he's not exactly the most relatable character.

L|ama on
  • Options
    FaricazyFaricazy Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    If we're on the topic of sci-fi shows, I just wanna mention how that Virtuality show is goddamn terrible.

Faricazy on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    NotACrook wrote: »
    If a primetime network show was one part Mythbusters, one part Mr. Wizard, one part CSI and one part LOST with a lead like the guy from the Mentalist, I would watch the hell out of the show.

I thought Fringe was going to be something like this, since they kept talking about how all the science would be real, etc. Unfortunately, no.

JoeUser on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    JoeUser wrote: »

I thought Fringe was going to be something like this, since they kept talking about how all the science would be real, etc. Unfortunately, no.
    JJ Abrams

you should know better

i say this as someone who really digs Fringe

Faricazy on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    JoeUser wrote: »

Fringe lost me about 30 minutes into the first episode.

First off, I was promised a mad scientist, and instead I get a crazy person. Not the same thing.

Secondly, there's so much awesome REAL fringe science and emerging concepts that might get people interested in stuff. One of the benefits of the West Wing was that they used real world issues as fodder for the political issues in the show, so that you might get interested in actually learning about how the census works or shit like that.

NotASenator on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Should I feell bad that basically my whole job is to tell scientists that things are illegal
    yes

you are stifling creativity!

Mysst on
    ikbUJdU.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    And just on another TV science note, I've found this neat website: Polite Dissent

While it mainly focuses on comic books, it also looks at TV medicine. It's pretty interesting, and I've learned some cool medical facts.
    * 3. You Cannot Shock A Flatline
    When the heart goes into asystole (a term for when it stops beating and has no electrical activity), the treatment is NOT defibrillation. To restart a non-beating heart, the recommended treatments are CPR, epinephrine, atropine, and transcutaneous pacing. Defibrillation does more harm than good.

Notable bad examples: Iron Man #7, Action Comics #817, Superman #175, X-treme X-Men #18, and a certain superhero movie in theaters now.

JoeUser on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Defibrillation is only used when the heart goes into arrhythmia to kind of reset it, I think.

L|ama on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    yes

you are stifling creativity!

Everybody's always in favor of saving Hitler's brain, but when you put it in the body of a great white shark - suddenly you've gone too far!

JoeUser on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Damn dirty monkeys

Monkeys show language recognition
    One of the fluffiest breeds of monkey, Cotton-top tamarin monkeys, has apparently displayed a high level of intelligence related to language skills. A study reported in Royal Society Biology Letters states that the monkeys can tell the difference between prefixes and suffixes.

Prefixes and suffixes are essential to language. They are involved in tense—walk-ing as opposed to walk-ed. They tell indicate time—pre-1900s or post-1900s. Sticking on a prefix or suffix onto a word (or affix) entirely changes the meaning of a word. Recognizing their purpose is an important step to understanding language.

JoeUser on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    House is a great show and should absolutely be on the list, if only for the episodes where the kid think he's being abducted, the young faith healer, ones like that.

Compare that to the brain tumor causing psychic visions in Grey's Anatomy (they removed the tumor and he still had a psychic vision for Meredith at the end)

NotASenator on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    that's because Grey's Anatomy is a shit drama sitcom while House is a well-written character driven show with people that can actually act.

Faricazy on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    I am so excited for the new season of House like whoa

Abracadaniel on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Grey's anatomy is so fucking awful, ugh. I don't get why it's popular, all the actresses are pretty ugly by tv show standards. I didn't think the male ones were attractive either, are they?

L|ama on
This discussion has been closed.