As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Warhammer Fantasy Battles - My plastic men can beat up your plastic men

• Options
    ErandusErandus Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Would two Great Cannons and a Mortar be too beardy?
    Generally no, though depends on how much you abuse handgunners on top of that. I can't say I would enjoy sitting across the table from 3 war machines, but in an Empire army, I have expect it and I understand. I'd probably draw the line around 3. If you plunk down many more, I'm going to start feeling predisposed to not enjoying the game.
    How nerdy is it it write your own backstory for an army? WHICH I TOTALLY HAVEN'T DONE.
    How many little plastic codpieces have you painted recently? Things can pretty much only get better from there, on the nerdy scale. Just make sure you post it. Not that I totally want to read it or anything.
    I totally do.

Erandus on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    BlankspaceBlankspace __BANNED USERS regular
    edited June 2009

How nerdy is it it write your own backstory for an army? WHICH I TOTALLY HAVEN'T DONE.
    Man I posted my backstory in this thread

Blankspace on
    SIG.gif
  • Options
    MorskittarMorskittar Lord Warlock Engineer SeattleRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Blankspace wrote: »

Man I posted my backstory in this thread

You're not really playing if you don't have a backstory, at least loosely. It's not like it's difficult for Warhammer.

Historical reference + pun + something appropriate for a Zeppelin or Maiden song/album cover = Warhammer story!
    Most of it isn't written down, but my skaven actually have politics bouncing around in the back of my head that spill onto the tabletop. I once converted up a new warlord after killing the previous one with a warpfire thrower.

Morskittar on
    snm_sig.jpg
  • Options
    Dread Pirate ArbuthnotDread Pirate Arbuthnot OMG WRIGGLY T O X O P L A S M O S I SRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Erandus wrote: »
    Generally no, though depends on how much you abuse handgunners on top of that. I can't say I would enjoy sitting across the table from 3 war machines, but in an Empire army, I have expect it and I understand. I'd probably draw the line around 3. If you plunk down many more, I'm going to start feeling predisposed to not enjoying the game.
    How many little plastic codpieces have you painted recently? Things can pretty much only get better from there, on the nerdy scale. Just make sure you post it. Not that I totally want to read it or anything.
    I totally do.

Well, right now I have two units of handgunners. I don't necessarily want to gunline, you know? So 10 shots from the first rank of handgunners, two sniper shots, three war machines, outriders and pistolliers MIGHT be a bit beardy. Maybe.

Also:
    After the well-documented events of the Black Plague, the streets of Altdorf were filled with the bodies of the dead. The Emperor at the time, not wishing to repeat the disastrous reign of Boris Goldgather I before him, Emperor Mandred began his short reign by demanding that military recruiters meet a monthly quota or else face shackles and public fruit throwing extravaganzas throughout the streets in Middenheim. Under this effective threat, military recruiters of the Empire tried tricks up to finding young maidens to offer in return for signing on the dotted line, insulting any able young men who walked by without signing, and sobbing hysterically until someone would take pity on them.

One young man was short of his quota by a large amount, and as he walked through the nearly empty streets of the Lord's Quarter he realized that he was likely going to not meet his quota for the third month in a row. So deep in thought was he that he crossed into the slums. Suddenly, he noticed that the bread lines and soup kitchens of Altdorf were teeming with well muscled and scarred scum. Struck with inspiration, this young man tossed loaves of bread at them for promises of signing up for the Empire forces, and met his quota four times over. He repeated this trick every month, and the riff raff of the streets became the 16th regiment of the city-state of Altdorf.

Now the 16th regiment of Altdorf shuns the quartered red white and blue that is standard and don the colors of Altdorf in the simpler peasant style of clothing. The 16th regiment of Altdorf claims bragging rights of slaying a wyvern during Gorbad Ironhide's siege of Altdorf, arresting the Traveling Bandits of Nuln, and loving the most ladies in the streets of Altdorf. Their leader, Lars "Long Lance" Lanstrik personally brags that he has the biggest tallywacker in the entire Empire, though this has proven a disadvantage when it comes time to mount his barded warhorse.

As a great Orc WAAAGH! lead by Grimgor Ironhide sweeps into the west of the Empire, the Dwarves have requested help in hunting down their hated enemy and settling many grudges once and for all. Karl Franz has agreed, giving the 16th regiment the honor of leading the force and granting them a Steam Tank to end the green tide and protect Altdorf from a second siege.

Dread Pirate Arbuthnot on
  • Options
    General NemoGeneral Nemo The Mighty Shame Church for DogsRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009

Not at all. Counts Von Gallard the Elder, and Younger, have a rich backstory. So does Lord Oleff Tacklebeard and his clan.
    It is really nerdy but it's a blast. I recommend it.

General Nemo on
  • Options
    EterenalEterenal Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I totally do.

Empire armies can get away with 3-4 war machines, purely on the fact that as soon as you get to them, you usually mess their stuff up.

In my last game against Empire, I marched up the table for 2 turns losing about 10-15 saurus warriors a turn and charged on turn 3, from that point on I probably only lost 2 models a turn and routed over half his army. State troops really are that bad.

Eterenal on
  • Options
    Dread Pirate ArbuthnotDread Pirate Arbuthnot OMG WRIGGLY T O X O P L A S M O S I SRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    First big block of swordsmen done! only one more to go! yaaay.....

• Options
    Ultros64Ultros64 Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    So I was thinking of taking two Dwarven Cannons and two squads of 10 handgunners to cover my flanks while my main troops march up the middle. This is at the 1k level.

Is that too much? I haven't played WH in awhile, so I'm not sure what is douchebaggery anymore.

EDIT: In retrospect, almost half of my points count for shooting only. Which is lame.

I think I'll knock it down to just two cannons and say forget the Thunderers.

Ultros64 on
    It doesn't matter what I say, as long as I sing with inflection
  • Options
    SUPERSUGASUPERSUGA Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    If your army doesn't have a backstory you should get the hell out of the hobby.

Well maybe not, but all good players should have one.

SUPERSUGA on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    For an empire general, I would have gone with "Longrod von Hugenstein".

Erandus on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    JackmodeJackmode Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Jackmode wrote: »
    EDIT: Also, ArmyBuilder all the way. I am a lazy man and it makes pretty sheets. Sucks that Army Roster got run out of town, but really... Who didn't see that coming?

Army Roster is going through some re-design right now. Keep checking back.

Yeah, I saw the announcement. My understanding is that he's going for a more Army-Builder like approach, where he'll provide a "generic" army creator and there will somehow be user driven content for it beyond the core framework. We'll see.
    Alazull wrote: »
    I don't even think you can take two at 1k, but if you can don't. It is horribly dickish and automatically qualifies you as taking a gunline, and if you're at a tournament then your comp score will go down. Plus, you will get kicked so hard in the balls you will vomit up your testicles.

We should really put together some sort of "things you can't do without being labled a cockbag" list.

Benny is wise beyond his years. His plan SHOULD work...SHOULD. When it's all said and done, if GW wants to issue him a C&D then they better start chucking them at Microsoft, Texas Instruments, and any other company with basic calculator functions. Their tendrils are long and barbed, but I have a hard time envisioning them grasping the new Army Roster.

And yes, we need a list...a Catalog of Douchbagery, whose violators will be forced to eat a bag of dicks. Yes...a whole bag.

Jackmode on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    So, I've been thinking about picking up that goblin on gigantic spider model for a while now. Problem is, I don't believe it counts as fast cav.

That model is so fucking cool. I don't know shit about Greenskins and their rules, but that sculpt emanates badassery.

Jackmode on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Good progress today. Not only did I finish my first big block of swordsmen, I built their base, give them all grassy bases, and purity sealed them. I also finished and did the base for a warrior priest. Next up - crewmen, pistoleers, and finishing that damn steam tank.

• Options
    edited June 2009
    Alright, here's a quick list I cooked up at the 1k level for me stunties.
    Heroes

Rurik Stonehand, Thane 112 pts
    General
    Runic Gromril Armor (+1 Sv, Immune to Killing Blow/Poison, +6 Ward) 2+/6+ ward
    Shield
    Runic Hand Weapon (Flaming Attacks)
    Runic Tailsman (Immune to Flaming Attacks)

Khurzah Stonehand, Thane 72 pts
    Runic Gromril Armor (+1 SV)
    Shield

Core

25 Clan Stonehand Dwarf Warriors
    250 pts
    Shields, Veteran, Musician, Standard Bearer

25 Clan Stonehand Dwarf Warriors 250 pts
    Shields, Veteran, Musician, Standard Bearer

Special

10 Guild Miners 110 pts
    Great Weapons
    Special Deployment

10 Guild Miners 110 pts
    Great Weapons
    Special Deployment

Dwarf Cannon "The Troll's Kiss" 90 pts
    Operated by Ivan, Gregik, and Simochk; the Ekzchrack Brothers

My tactics aren't incredibly precise at this moment. They consist of marching up the middle with two big blocks of Dwarf Troops with a Thane in each while the Cannon covers a flank/watches out for big stuff, and the Miners hopefully cover my flanks as well. I'll have to hope for Dwarfy toughness to get me through most fights though.

Thoughts?

Ultros64 on
  • Options
    zenpotatozenpotato Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    That looks like a fun list, but you're putting a quarter of your forces in reserve, and you have to hope that you roll well for them to show up. I'd drop one unit of miners for some thunderers or quarellers, but that's a personal call. As long as you're willing to be outnumbered for a bit, you could be okay. Maybe 10 Hammerers to act a hammer between your two anvil units?

zenpotato on
  • Options
    Mr_RoseMr_Rose 83 Blue Ridge Protects the Holy Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Also, one of your characters is illegal; you can't have two weapons with exactly the same combination of Runes (Rule of Pride IIRC).

Mr_Rose on
    ...because dragons are AWESOME! That's why.
    Nintendo Network ID: AzraelRose
    DropBox invite link - get 500MB extra free.
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Mr_Rose wrote: »
    Also, one of your characters is illegal; you can't have two weapons with exactly the same combination of Runes (Rule of Pride IIRC).

Oh. Well, lemme change that then.

Ultros64 on
  • Options
    PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    also, why do you care about being immune to flaming attacks

I mean, unless you are fighting DoC, that is rarely a concern

PiptheFair on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    PiptheFair wrote: »
    also, why do you care about being immune to flaming attacks

I mean, unless you are fighting DoC, that is rarely a concern

It's 5 pts and it's one less thing to worry about. Lore of Fire, Tzeentch Fire Bolts, Warpfire Throwers, all that kind of stuff.

That's what my train of thought is anyway.

Ultros64 on
  • Options
    PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    oh 5 points, well nevermind then

that's not bad at all

PiptheFair on
  • Options
    AsherAsher Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    It also makes them immune to the horrible melty Lore of Metal spells. You know, the ones that ignore armour and get more powerful the better save the target has?

Asher on
    I put models on Instagram now: asher_paints
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Asher wrote: »
    It also makes them immune to the horrible melty Lore of Metal spells. You know, the ones that ignore armour and get more powerful the better save the target has?

I think that would be especially bad for a General with a 2+ save.

Ultros64 on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Ultros64 wrote: »
    Asher wrote: »

I think that would be especially bad for a General with a 2+ save.

Strength 6 hits ahoy.

Erandus on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    General NemoGeneral Nemo The Mighty Shame Church for DogsRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009

The Rune of Stone is an exception to the rule of pride, which I assume is what is giving him a bonus to his AS.

General Nemo on
  • Options
    AlazullAlazull Your body is not a temple, it's an amusement park. Enjoy the ride.Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    The list would be a lot better if it weren't for the fact that your Miners aren't going to do anything but contest or claim table quarters until Turn 3.

You were smart in taking Warriors in blocks of 25 with shields, because they make perfect anvils. But you need something that can actually wound anything that your Warriors take on that isn't Toughness 3. Hammerers wouldn't be a horrible idea, especially because Stubborn makes it so you can take them commandless.

Besides that all I can say is enjoy playing for draws and minor victories.

Alazull on
    User name Alazull on Steam, PSN, Nintenders, Epic, etc.
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Alazull wrote: »
    The list would be a lot better if it weren't for the fact that your Miners aren't going to do anything but contest or claim table quarters until Turn 3.

You were smart in taking Warriors in blocks of 25 with shields, because they make perfect anvils. But you need something that can actually wound anything that your Warriors take on that isn't Toughness 3. Hammerers wouldn't be a horrible idea, especially because Stubborn makes it so you can take them commandless.

Besides that all I can say is enjoy playing for draws and minor victories.

I thought the Miners would be a good idea for a hidden flank attack, but the random deployment is an issue.

So what would you recommend for a good Hammer? Replacing the two squads of Miners nets me 220 pts to play with. So here is something new I could try.

x10 Hammerers w/ Musician, Standard Bearer, Vet. 150 pts

x1 Bolt Thrower w/ Rune of Penetrating (giving Str. 7 for pesky chariots) 70 pts

Or I could just go all out and make a bigger squad of Hammerers (x15), but would that be putting too much on something that is essentially a flanking squad?

Ultros64 on
  • Options
    Mr_RoseMr_Rose 83 Blue Ridge Protects the Holy Registered User regular
    edited June 2009

The Rune of Stone is an exception to the rule of pride, which I assume is what is giving him a bonus to his AS.

...right. So? The item I was querying was two rune-weapons, each with the rune of fire.

Mr_Rose on
    ...because dragons are AWESOME! That's why.
    Nintendo Network ID: AzraelRose
    DropBox invite link - get 500MB extra free.
  • Options
    DraevenDraeven Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    slayers ! lots and lots of slayerse :D but on a side note, i really wouldn't see an issue with 15 hammers.

Draeven on
    Morskitter wrote "Spikes, choppas, tentacles, magic? Can't hold a candle to Sergeant Pimp here."

• Options
    zenpotatozenpotato Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I really like the 10 Hammerers and a BT idea. You also might want to drop your warrior blocks to 24 to fit in your thanes? Might give you some extra upgrade points to play with. If you were going to squeeze out point for anything else, I'd look at an Oathstone. They're brutal.

zenpotato on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    The standard bearer and possibly musician isn't really necessary for hammerers. Their high ld/stubborn goes a long way. Plus if they do end up flanking for one of your warrior blocks, you can only benefit from one standard/mus anyway.

Erandus on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    CorporateLogoCorporateLogo The toilet knows how I feelRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Last night, I was reading a topic on another messageboard that shall remain nameless. In this topic, someone was looking for advice on building a lizardman army. Two people then proceeded to get into an argument over whether to take Skink Braves with Kroxigors or Saurus Warriors for core. The one guy claimed that the Saurus are not worth the points and Braves with Kroxigor are the best choice. The other guy said that Kroxigors are terrible because of WS 3.

Please tell me these guys have dumb opinions.

CorporateLogo on
    Do not have a cow, mortal.

c9PXgFo.jpg
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    The one guy claimed that the Saurus are not worth the points

There are not enough facepalm image macros on the internet to handle this statement.

This shit even makes grown up Jesus cry.

Erandus on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    JoeslopJoeslop Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Are there new rumors about Skaven (Only rumors since they don't exist)? I'm not sure I could be convinced to check out Warseer or any such place just to wade through the bad posts to find rumors that are likely untrue.

Joeslop on
  • Options
    IronKnuckle's GhostIronKnuckle's Ghost Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Sure wish the Skaven book was out so I could throw a whole lot of money at one/several places/people.

Is it bad that I don't even have any Skaven models built and I'm already pondering my second army (Dark Elves)?

IronKnuckle's Ghost on
  • Options
    MorskittarMorskittar Lord Warlock Engineer SeattleRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Joeslop wrote: »
    Are there new rumors about Skaven (Only rumors since they don't exist)? I'm not sure I could be convinced to check out Warseer or any such place just to wade through the bad posts to find rumors that are likely untrue.

I'm sure you'll hear things here if they seem legit. One reliable leaker didn't... deny that there would be new plastic clanrats, which made it to this thread a bit ago. That's pretty much it for now. Doomwheel in plastic seems likely, new plastic slaves and stormvermin more certain than clanrats.

Vermin Lord may make a return too, and Warp Lightning will probably be toned down in Strength.

Morskittar on
    snm_sig.jpg
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Weapon teams will hide in their units until you actually want to use them, and then you pop them out like fanatics or assassins. That means for the first turn or two when they're out of range, they're not sitting ducks to shooting and magic. Strikes a decent balance between their current ridiculous vulnerability, and the 6th ed version where they could not be targeted by pretty much anything.

Erandus on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    SJSJ College. Forever.Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Will the new plastic clanrats also have giant monkey hands? Or should I just stock up now? :P

SJ on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    I feel like I have two painting goals - realistic and ideal. The ideal is what I usually post, the realistic is usually like two dudes and a horse.

• Options
    edited June 2009
    so.... you're painting a donkey show? D:

Erandus on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    two dudes and a horse.

That reminds me of a story...