As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Last Night in New Phalland - Village Victory

• Options
    DasUberEdwardDasUberEdward Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    ooOOoOoO
    Eddy stop being DUE.
    OoOoOoOo

DasUberEdward on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Casual EddyCasual Eddy The Astral PlaneRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    hey i'm completely updated DUE

Casual Eddy on
  • Options
    CampyCampy Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Right, well confusion has now enveloped me like some kind of tropical rash. Not much talking in this hur thread...

I have no idea who to vote for :(

Sleep tight sweet Village, hope you're still here in the morning.

edit: Aww screw it, voting for RocketSauce

Campy on
  • Options
    iamtheaznmaniamtheaznman Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    !Rocketsauce is still who the vote should be on probably.

iamtheaznman on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    The one who inherited the vig power, yes you, contact me.

iamtheaznman on
  • Options
    Hi I'm Vee!Hi I'm Vee! Formerly VH; She/Her; Is an E X P E R I E N C E Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Unfortunately, I'm only here for a bit, so here's hoping the Rocketsauce lead takes us somewhere.

Hi I'm Vee! on
    vRyue2p.png
  • Options
    NocturneNocturne Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    !Rocketsauce I guess.

Nocturne on
  • Options
    MatrijsMatrijs Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Vote closed?

Matrijs on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    I want you to know, Lord Phalla, that this changes nothing. We put Rocketsauce to the vote, and found him to be a purveyor of foul magic. And then, the deaths stopped. Other than our fair mayoral deputy, Matrijcs, whom I found mummified due to some strange force, the deaths have stopped. I am relieved, but look at what has been wrought! We are down to a handful of colonists, no thanks to your supposed allies. And to think that you had prior knowledge of this grim brigade!

I will be speaking with the royal liaison regarding this madness. And the resupply ship! Am I to suppose that they are filled with the same manner of evil? I would rather deal with the French than this insanity. Evilbob rose from the grave last night and attempted to strangle a colonist, but we managed to put down the corpse once and for all. We burned his body into ash. With our greatly reduced population we have the supplies to last until help arrives.

The New World is safe, for now, and its riches are ours. But I will make it my mission to never see it again. I shall return to the Mother Country as soon as is feasible, and never step out of the country again! It is not often that I turn down governorship of an entire continent, but something about this bloodsoaked land is terribly wrong.

You shall find another to do your twisted bidding, Sir Phalla.

Yours Truly,
    Sir Eddy The Casual

Rocketsauce, the Illusionist, killed by the vote
    Matrijs, The Mayoral Deputy, killed by unnatural means

The Witches and Spies have been defeated!

Role PMs incoming.

Casual Eddy on
  • Options
    B:LB:L I've done worse. Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Terrible.

B:L on
    10mvrci.png click for Anime chat
  • Options
    MatrijsMatrijs Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    You spelled my name wrong. Also, fuck you Rocketsauce.

Matrijs on
  • Options
    CorbiusCorbius Shepard Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    First time I get a special role and I fuck it up by trusting too much.

Good job to whoever the squire was btw.

Corbius on
    wrexsig1.jpg
    PSN: Corbius
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    B:L

So what the hell were you? I was a good dude. If the Pagan died I inherited his role and could protect someone from a dark attack each night.

DasUberEdward on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Wow, I thought we had at least 3 more evils left.

olol paranoia.

iamtheaznman on
  • Options
    TalleyrandTalleyrand Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Guys, guys, WTF?! Man, these last couple days have been so confusing.

Talleyrand on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Talleyrand wrote: »

I agree. There needs to be a role reveal and a summary because honestly, this last day made no sense...

iamtheaznman on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    The good!
    AN INDENTURED SERVANT! You are not a landholder, and thusly you were too poor to pay for your passage to the New World. To raise funds, you entered indentured servitude, which gave you passage for the price of your freedom. You are virtually a piece of property with no rights, and thus you have no vote! You are still required to make a public vote to count towards the absence policy, but it will have no meaning. Your indentured servitude will end, however, and by the second night your vote will count normally.
    NOTE: You can discuss your role normally, but you may not mention the no-vote mechanic, except to other indentured servants. It’s simply rude to discuss your status as a piece of property.

A SLAVE! Bad news – you lost the genetic lottery and were enslaved by your fellow Africans, and then sold to white Europeans to be brought to the New World against your will. Backbreaking labor without pay or freedom is your ultimate fate. You play the game normally, but your vote will not count, since you are a piece of property. Nonetheless you must publicly vote to count towards the participation policy. You do, however, know who your fellow slaves are – . You were with these people on the voyage through the middle passage, and through that hardship you have learned to trust them with your lives.
    In addition, as a slave, you are privy to secrets of the colony that most people overlook. Many colonists view you as subhuman (and thus imperceptive), and your intimate position in the colony allows you peel back any colonist’s subterfuge. On even nights the slaves, as a group, can peer into one colonist’s life and wholly identify them.
    As slaves, you cannot win by yourself – if another group wins and you survive, you win as well.
    NOTE: You can discuss your role normally, but you may not mention the no-vote mechanic, except with other slaves. It’s simply rude to discuss your status as a piece of property.
    SECRET NOTE – This is the only seer role that can completely detect an enemy or friendly role.

THE CAPTAIN OF THE GUARD! Sir Phalla hired you, an experienced soldier and guardsman, to ensure the safety of his investment. You direct all of the soldiers in the colony, namely the squire. You can’t remember the squire’s name right now, but you’re sure in the even of your demise he could hand everything pretty well. Every night you can direct the guards at your command to defend a certain person from attack, and they will surely survive. You may not defend yourself. PM whomever you wish to defend each night before the vote closes.

SECRET NOTE: If you guard the Squire, his identity will be revealed to you. You can only protect against spy attacks.

THE SQUIRE! You are the lackey and assistant to The Captain of the Guard. You shine his armor, prepare his meals, and generally do whatever he says. He has also imparted a great deal of his knowledge to you, and despite everything, you feel you could take over his duties if he were to perish. The Captain is able to protect someone each night, and should he die you will assume his role.

THE MAYOR! You are second in command to the governor. You oversee the day to day operations of the colony, and count the votes every night. You are, of course, not immune to the allure of power, and you can manipulate the vote as you see fit. You have your own public vote as normal, but you can add one vote to anyone’s tally, even a person that you didn’t vote for. PM whoever you wish to have a vote tallied for to Eddy.

NOTE: I accidentally sent this PM twice.

THE MAGISTRATE! You are the head of domestic affairs in the colony – you keep track of supplies and of people. As such, you are tasked with figuring out the discrepancies in the colony’s ledgers. You can examine one colonist’s background each night, and if they are indeed from the mother country, you will be able to tell. The clerk – who’s name you can’t remember, the dusty little fellow, is your second in command. Should you die, he will take your place.

SECRET NOTE: The magistrate can only detect spies. Witches will be seered as normal villagers. Also, if you seer the clerk, his role will be revealed to you.

THE CLERK! You are the Magistrate’s second in command and general errand boy. If he dies, you will take his place in identifying the colonists, and solving the mystery of the ledger discrepancies. Unfortunately you’ve never actually met the fellow, and someone neglected to tell him your name.

THE PRIEST! You are the chief spiritual advisor of the colony. You are by no means perfect, but you have always attempted to live your life by the scriptures. You also have an uncanny knack for identifying… well, terrible people. Every day you can examine the soul of one citizen and see if there is a monstrous, black mark upon it. Murder isn’t enough, you can only see the foul taint of a truly terrible crime. Your trusty Altar Boy is your assistant, and he will take up your sacred duties should you perish. If only you could remember his name!

SECRET NOTE: The priest can only identify witches. Spies will seer as normal villagers. Also, if you seer the altar boy his role will be revealed to you.

THE ALTAR BOY! You sweep up after sermons and generally assist the priest. He has been training you in the priestly ways, most specifically how to care for the spritual well being of your flock. You’ve certainly taken a shine to it, and feel ready and able to take up the priest’s responsibilities were anything to happen to him.

THE PAGAN! A rare sight among the puritanical colonists, you are secretly a non Christian pagan. You have always held interest in the flow of energy and the balance of man and nature. More importantly, you hold the belief that there are those who would manipulate these forces for their own dark gains. You came to the New World prepared though, and are able to shield others from dark magic. Every night you may protect one person of New Phalland from a dark attack, and they will surely survive. Luckily, you brought your assistant, the druid with you who will take your place should the unfortunate event of your death occur.

SECRET NOTE: You can only defend against witch based attacks. If you are targeted with a non lethal dark magic ability, you will be able to identify the caster. Also, if you protect the druid, his role will be revealed to you.

THE DRUID! You are the Pagan’s right hand assistant, and you too are interested in the art of light magic. You cannot take any special actions until the untimely demise of the Pagan, in which case you can take his place in defending one villager (other than yourself) from a dark attack each turn. Unfortunately during the landing, you were separated from the Pagan and have been unable to find him.

THE MERCENARY You’re a 17th century badass. Sir Phalla has secretly contracted you to ensure the safety of his investment. You obey no laws, and have no superiors, and are awaiting a huge cash payment if the colony survives. According to your sources, there are one or more hostile groups that have infiltrated the colony. You must work with the colonists in secret to assist them. Some collateral damage is foreseeable, of course. Sir Phalla understands that murder is sometimes necessary, and he will not penalize you for the accidental deaths of innocent colonists. Every night you may target one person for assassination. PM your target before the vote closes.

SECRET NOTE: You will be able to tell when you are being guarded.

Casual Eddy on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Woohoo!

Nocturne on
  • Options
    VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    oh a secret note. that's wonderful.

Variable on
    BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    So there actually was three seers alive on the last day?

Well I'll be.

Also people if you are given a seer role make sure to send in your PMs every night (cough).

iamtheaznman on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    By the way. Very well done game Eddy.

DasUberEdward on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    godmodegodmode Southeast JapanRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Fuck RocketSauce in the face. Eternal grudges for him.

godmode on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    The Witches
    A WITCH! You part of a dark and mysterious group of sorcerers. Your backgrounds are varied, but your goals are the same – the protection of the land known as New Phalland. This is an ancient, powerful land, and you must gain control of it no matter the cost. Clear out any free colonists and ensure the witches are the only ones left standing. You will be able to tap in to the magic of this land and bring about a new age of sorcery.
    Each witch has a special ability that can only be used if the power of the covenant is maintained – that is, there must be at least two witches in play for your ability to be used. Once the power of the covenant is broken, that power can no longer be used. Witches will always be able to make one kill every night, however. Reach a consensus amongst yourselves and send in your target before the vote closes– if you send more than target in I will choose one randomly.

THE NECROMANCER

So dark and terrifying is your power that you have gained a measure of control over the dead. You are a member of the landed gentry who managed to acquire (quite on accident) some dark texts. The idea of death and how to circumvent it has fascinated you since. Once per game you can temporarily resurrect another player, and gain their secrets. If you target a dead player, you will reveal their role in full. You can choose to either to use that role once against any player (unless the role is as part of group) one time, or gain knowledge of whoever shares that player’s role. You may not use this power on other witches. If a target’s “one shot” ability has already been used, you cannot use the ability again.

THE VOODOO PRIEST

Hailing from a British outpost in the Caribbean, you are a disaffected nobleman who took up the dark art of Voodoo. As long as you hold an object belonging to someone else, you can force a degree of control over them through your dark studies. Each night, if someone has quoted you, can put them into an unholy state of lethargy, effectively silencing them. Players that are silenced cannot post other than a vote for a whole day. You may not use this power on the same player twice.

THE ILLUSIONIST

A master of deception and trickery, you have always been able to slip away in the nick of time. You can disguise yourself in a time of need with black magic, and remove yourself from harm’s way. At one point in the game, when you are targeted and killed by the vote, you can instead redirect the vote to another player of your choice, leaving you unharmed. If it appears that the vote is going to kill you, send in your target (preferably) before the vote closes.

THE LICH

You’re a hard person to kill. You have joined with other witches on this expedition due to your unusual talent of immortality. You were born many years ago under a dark star, and have since walked the earth with a thousand lives. Unfortunately you’re down to your last few, and you’re sure a concentrated effort would end your life. In the event of your ‘death’ you may rise again for one night and strike down a player of your choice. Send in your choice when you die, and then you will be an ordinary dead player.

Casual Eddy on
  • Options
    B:LB:L I've done worse. Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    By the way. Very well done game Eddy.

Actually, it's a terribly unbalanced game, but I had fun.

B:L on
    10mvrci.png click for Anime chat
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    The Spies!
    A SPY! A spymaster of a rival European nation has hired you and your comrades to sabotage the colony of New Phalland! During the voyage you slew 4 colonists and took their places after sneaking aboard. The pay is good, and the job dangerous. You and the other spies must destroy the colony, and kill every free colonist. Collectively, you and the other spies can assassinate one person a night, starting on night 1. On night 0 you and the other spies will be too busy sabotaging the Mayfair to kill anyone. Additionally, you and the other spies have unique abilities.

THE ASSASSIN

You are the arms expert of the group, and you are nasty with a knife and flintlock pistol. In addition to the normal kill the group gets, you can assassinate anyone at will starting on night 1. Because you need your comrades to cover you, you cannot use this ability if you are the only remaining spy. You may only use this ability once. PM your target to me before the vote closes.

THE THIEF

You’re an expert of getting out of tough spots. Because of your ability to get in and out of places without being seen, you can sabotage the vote if necessary. Starting on night 1 you may subtract one vote from you or your comrades to shield them from the village. You may only use this on one player at a time. PM your target to me before the vote closes.

THE SABOTEUR

You’re in charge of disabling the Mayfair, and are directing your comrades to do so until Night 1. After that point you can begin using your other ability. As the most experienced spy around you are the best at avoiding detection. You will be told if you have been successfully seered – additionally, when you are killed, you will be listed as a normal villager.

THE INFILTRATOR

You’re a hard person to hate. A naturally friendly person with a habit of sharing your corn whiskey stash, you’re good at getting people talking. Never mind that you are plotting to kill them the entire time, you don’t let that sort of thing make a mean person. Starting on night 1, you can partially seer someone on even nights. This will reveal whether they are a plain villager or if they have a special role. You will not be told what the special role is, only if they have one or not.

Casual Eddy on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    How was this terribly unbalanced?

Casual Eddy on
  • Options
    godmodegodmode Southeast JapanRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Talleyrand wrote: »

We had it all right the last few days, but RocketSauce fucked me over.

godmode on
  • Options
    Dac VinDac Vin S-s-screw you! I only listen to DOUBLE MUSIC! Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    oh sweet, a death thrall

Dac Vin on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Roles:
    1. DevoutlyApathetic Colonist
    2. DasUberEdward The Druid
    3. Matrijs The Assistant Mayor
    4. Laos Colonist
    5. Minor Second The Assassin / Indentured Servant
    6. Zandracon The Clerk
    7. B:L The Voodoo Priest
    8. Nocturne Colonist
    9. Enlightened Bum Colonist
    10. Savant Colonist
    11. JebusUD slave
    12. Trus Colonist
    13. Behemoth Indentured Servant
    14. ProXimity Indentured Servant
    15. visiblehowl The Pagan
    16. the lord of hats The Altar Boy
    17. Dac Vin The Necromancer
    18. COrbius Captain of the Guard
    19. Talleyrand slave
    20. SpectralSpork The Saboteur / Indentured Servant
    21. Kime The Thief
    22. GrimmyTOA Indentured Servant
    23. TehSpectre Colonist
    24. iamtheaznman Indentured Servant
    25. Timothy Leary et. All slave
    26. godmode The Mercenary
    27. oldmanken Colonist
    28. RocketSauce The Illusionist
    29. Kid Presentable The Mayor
    30. Powerpuppies The Priest
    31. Cinders The Infiltrator
    32. MetroidZoid Colonist
    33. Evilbob The Lich
    34. Campy The Squire
    35. Variable The Magistrate
    36. Kagera Colonist

Casual Eddy on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    I can't believe Campy and I guessed at Altar Boy...

iamtheaznman on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Additionally, all one shot abilities could bypass a defender.

Casual Eddy on
  • Options
    CorbiusCorbius Shepard Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Ohhhh I would hate/love to see any mafia proboards that happened in this one.

Corbius on
    wrexsig1.jpg
    PSN: Corbius
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Corbius wrote: »
    Ohhhh I would hate/love to see any mafia proboards that happened in this one.

there was a great deal of inactivity.

Casual Eddy on
  • Options
    SavantSavant Simply Barbaric Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    So, looks like we were a not so bad village. SpectralSpork being a death thrall sure threw me off, but it's a good thing we offed him.

Sort of surprised that it was just down to RocketSauce there.

Savant on
  • Options
    TalleyrandTalleyrand Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Yeah that was pretty fun, thanks again Casual Eddy for breeding paranoia and resentment in the forums.

Talleyrand on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    The badguys killed a lot of each other

and the epic badguy reveals weren't a good idea

Casual Eddy on
  • Options
    evilbobevilbob RADELAIDERegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Heaps sorry for being as inactive as I was Eddy.

evilbob on
    l5sruu1fyatf.jpg

• Options
    VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    man what are the odds that my only succesful seering would be a fucking voodoo priest. B:L you scoundrel.

luckily I'm such a failure that he couldn't use me to nefarious ends.

Variable on
    BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    evilbob wrote: »
    Heaps sorry for being as inactive as I was Eddy.

i had such a cool narration for your ability and everything!

Casual Eddy on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Yeah there were a lot of badguy reveals. I really like the way the roles were done Eddy! I can't decide if everyone dying in the same color was awesome for breeding even more confusion or frustrating because for those of us who were just colonists, I was completely without any good ideas or information the whole game.

Still, cool stuff.

Nocturne on