As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Left 4 Dead I and II: New VS/Survival DLC announced

• Options
    TyrantCowTyrantCow Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    i'm right

everyone else is wrong.

TyrantCow on
  • Options
    rakuenCallistorakuenCallisto Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited June 2009
    DeMoN wrote: »
    EXPERT CAMPAIGN

TONIGHT

BE THAR
    I am SO FFFFFFFFF there you better include me. You know I won't do you wrong.

rakuenCallisto on
    cbtswoosig.png
  • Options
    NappuccinoNappuccino Surveyor of Things and Stuff Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Hey, guys?

l4d updated :o
    June 25, 2009 - Left 4 Dead Update Released

Updates to Left 4 Dead have been released. The updates will be applied automatically when your Steam client is restarted. The specific changes include:

Client

Removed an infinite ammo exploit for molotovs

Add-on Campaign Support

Players download third party campaigns as single .VPK file

Players can manage and select add-on maps and campaigns via game UI

Added matchmaking support and download/update prompt for add-on campaigns

Custom campaign support in Leader boards

If not already registered, left4dead.exe registers .VPK extension to allow automatic install of add-ons

Servers and the steam API have been extended to allow servers to send up a list of keys for matchmaking up to 1200 bytes in size

Left 4 Dead Authoring Tools

Fixed missing fgd error

Added vpk.exe command line tool for extracting, creating, and appending .VPK files

Removed info_versus (not used)

Added info_gamemode which fires outputs for Coop, Versus or Survival depending on what game mode the map is loaded in

Updated tutorial_standards example map, repackaged as 'Dead Line' campaign example add-on

Sample content now includes source files for official maps

Nappuccino on
    Like to write? Want to get e-published? Give us a look-see at http://wednesdaynightwrites.com/
    Rorus Raz wrote: »
    There's also the possibility you just can't really grow a bear like other guys.

Not even BEAR vaginas can defeat me!
    cakemikz wrote: »
    And then I rub actual cake on myself.
    Loomdun wrote: »
    thats why you have chest helmets
  • Options
    DeMoNDeMoN twitch.tv/toxic_cizzle Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    So we got 2 for expert fun.

Need 2 more.

Also update just hit. Hopefully some kickass custom maps will be coming out.

DeMoN on
    Steam id : Toxic Cizzle
    *TyCart*_banner.jpg
  • Options
    GumpyGumpy There is always a greater powerRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    "repackaged as 'Dead Line' campaign example add-on"

What does this line mean

I am confused

Gumpy on
  • Options
    TertieeTertiee Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    From the blog post "The tutorial_standards map has been expanded into a minimal example campaign add-on called 'Dead Line'"

Tertiee on
  • Options
    SF_DhalsimSF_Dhalsim Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    So whats the general consensus on L4D 2 I have read maybe half a sliver on it and watched the trailer, all I got from it was that they were in Louisiana and they had alot more black people in the game.

Oh and Chainsaws.

But no really is there anything new to it, like an entire open world survive/make it out of the city co-op campiagn thing because I could dig that. L4D kinda left me with a bad taste in my mouth, and it wasn't from the end that babies are made. I mean it was cool/fun for maybe the first week or so but afterwards it just felt bland and relatively the same.

SF_Dhalsim on
    sig-1355736.jpg
    sig-1355747.jpg
    SC2: XxKhrushchev.539
  • Options
    Professor PhobosProfessor Phobos Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    There is no consensus. L4D2 remains a contentious issue. However, I think both camps can agree that if you did not enjoy L4D1, you will likely not enjoy L4D2.

Professor Phobos on
  • Options
    CarbonFireCarbonFire See you in the countryRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    There is no consensus. L4D2 remains a contentious issue. However, I think both camps can agree that if you did not enjoy L4D1, you will likely not enjoy L4D2.

CarbonFire on
    Steam: CarbonFire MWO, PSN, Origin: Carb0nFire
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    wait---

custom campaigns?

finally?!

TyrantCow on
  • Options
    LavaKnightLavaKnight Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    But whoever didn't enjoy L4D probably doesn't enjoy life anyway.

LavaKnight on
  • Options
    RandomEngyRandomEngy Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Aww man, another update with AT matches.

RandomEngy on
    Profile -> Signature Settings -> Hide signatures always. Then you don't have to read this worthless text anymore.
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    TyrantCow wrote: »
    wait---

custom campaigns?

finally?!

They've been around, they just needed some massaging to get in the game.

Also, I'm looking to mess around with the l4d assets in Hammer but... hammer doesn't seem to know this recent update happened (it doesn't show anything from l4d in Hammer. It seems like there's a work around but I figured that with this new update, I could select the l4d engine/ game just like I can select hl2 or orange box and the portal/tf2/ or ep2 assets.

Maybe I'm just mis-understanding things but if someone could point me in the right direction I would greatly appreciate it.

Nappuccino on
    Like to write? Want to get e-published? Give us a look-see at http://wednesdaynightwrites.com/

• Options
    undeinPiratundeinPirat Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Nappuccino wrote: »
    wait---

custom campaigns?

finally?!

They've been around, they just needed some massaging to get in the game.

Also, I'm looking to mess around with the l4d assets in Hammer but... hammer doesn't seem to know this recent update happened (it doesn't show anything from l4d in Hammer. It seems like there's a work around but I figured that with this new update, I could select the l4d engine/ game just like I can select hl2 or orange box and the portal/tf2/ or ep2 assets.

Maybe I'm just mis-understanding things but if someone could point me in the right direction I would greatly appreciate it.

under the tools part where you get the source sdk, there is a thing called left 4 dead authoring tools

that's what you want

undeinPirat on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] steam: undeinpirat
  • Options
    CarbonFireCarbonFire See you in the countryRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Napp, you might want to just delete and redownload the tools entirely. Valve's SDKs are fairly user-friendly, but stable and bug-free they are not.

Edit: Oh, you hadn't downloaded the L4D-specific tools at all? Well nevermind then :P

CarbonFire on
    Steam: CarbonFire MWO, PSN, Origin: Carb0nFire
  • Options
    edited June 2009

under the tools part where you get the source sdk, there is a thing called left 4 dead authoring tools

that's what you want

Ahh, thanks! I'm not listening to the people in the chat ever again :lol:

@carbon: yeah well... this was the first time I'd ever opened hammer... And the advice I got in the thread was that "you don't need the l4d authorizing tools." Ahh well, I'm on the right track now.

Nappuccino on

• Options
    TertieeTertiee Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Valve seems to have ninja-edited one more thing onto the latest patch notes since it wasn't on Nappuccino's post earlier today.
    The team swapping issue in Versus has been fixed

Tertiee on
  • Options
    sanstodosanstodo Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Tertiee wrote: »
    Valve seems to have ninja-edited one more thing onto the latest patch notes since it wasn't on Nappuccino's post earlier today.
    The team swapping issue in Versus has been fixed

Well, that's nice to see. Still holding my breath for 4 v 4 matchmaking.......

sanstodo on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Good catch Tertiee, and possibly that is the thing I'm most happy about.

Nappuccino on

• Options
    edited June 2009
    i played 4 matches last night and was kicked from 3.

all of them involved some dude yelling at me the whole time because i was trying to help my teammates. dude would be running in circles yelling about how much i sucked while they would do nothing to help their teammates. the last one i was kicked from we were walking in to the safe room and asshole unloads in to my back with an auto-shotty, i say "I GUESS IT WAS MY FAULT WE MADE IT TO THE SAFE ROOM, TOO"... kicked.

it was a great reminder why i usually only play with pubs in the early morning hours
    or, i play with these guys who are way better than me (they play once a night); and promptly feel the fool. bastards don't even need to talk to each other and they stay close as hell to each other.

TyrantCow on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    i played 4 matches last night and was kicked from 3.

all of them involved some dude yelling at me the whole time because i was trying to help my teammates. dude would be running in circles yelling about how much i sucked while they would do nothing to help their teammates. the last one i was kicked from we were walking in to the safe room and asshole unloads in to my back with an auto-shotty, i say "I GUESS IT WAS MY FAULT WE MADE IT TO THE SAFE ROOM, TOO"... kicked.

it was a great reminder why i usually only play with pubs in the early morning hours
    or, i play with these guys who are way better than me (they play once a night); and promptly feel the fool. bastards don't even need to talk to each other and they stay close as hell to each other.

I was in a game yesterday with one other decent pubby and 2 idiots. We were on coming out of the sewers in NM 3 and I got pounced once I came up the ladder. The 2 idiots didn't even bother looking at me. They booked it for the safe room and closed the door. The good guy (coming up last) killed the hunter and started to get me up. He got boomed but both of the other infected were dead. If the 2 idiots had come out and helped at all, we would have all made it. Instead, the good guy fought off the horde, then got pounced right before getting me up. He was so low that I couldn't shoot the hunter off in time.

The 2 morons then started screaming in their mics about how we're "fags" and "noobs." I've never wanted to punch someone through my computer more.

Epilogue: I ran across the 2 idiots in a pub stomp later with my friends. We only killed them and let the other survivors live. They got the point 2 maps in and left.

sanstodo on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    yes, my new objective is to seek these people out, wait until someone on the other team leaves, then...

totally fuck over their side (kill myself or unload in to one of them) then switch teams, and laugh.

TyrantCow on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    bastards don't even need to talk to each other and they stay close as hell to each other.

That's just a matter of experiance with the game. Much of the time when I play we aren't even talking about the game itself, just random things, and we do just fine. Occasionally a group will give us a run for our money and we'll gear up into serious mode but... so much of vs and camp we don't really need to talk to each other to survive

Nappuccino on

• Options
    edited June 2009
    bastards don't even need to talk to each other and they stay close as hell to each other.

That's just a matter of experiance with the game. Much of the time when I play we aren't even talking about the game itself, just random things, and we do just fine. Occasionally a group will give us a run for our money and we'll gear up into serious mode but... so much of vs and camp we don't really need to talk to each other to survive

Staying too close is a mistake intermediate players sometimes make. You want to be within easy shooting distance of each other, but not so close that you're vulnerable to 4-capping. If you're constantly all up in each other's grill, then you're gonna get pounced, stunned, then all end up with your guts on the floor.

That said, I'd rather players be too close than too far. Damn Rambos!

sanstodo on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    who said anything about staying that close? I mean, you only need to be about 5 feet away to not get the pounce kickback.

Nappuccino on

• Options
    edited June 2009
    who said anything about staying that close? I mean, you only need to be about 5 feet away to not get the pounce kickback.

Wasn't saying you were :mrgreen: I've definitely seen teams basically making out the entire map. It's pretty hilarious.

sanstodo on
  • Options
    Professor PhobosProfessor Phobos Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    C'mon people, we got Expert all up ins the chat. Get in on it, 'cause Expert night won't be around forever.

Professor Phobos on
  • Options
    LaCabraLaCabra MelbourneRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Hooray for custom campaign update!

LaCabra on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    LaCabra wrote: »
    Hooray for custom campaign update!

Get to work!

DeMoN on
    *TyCart*_banner.jpg
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Man I have a zombie western to work on.

LaCabra on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    I saw the screens of you playing your map in Left 4 Dead.
    Just drop it in as a survival map.

Also I am sorry I sucked tonight I didn't realize how long its been since I played on expert.
    A whole campaign and I killed like 200 zombies.

DeMoN on
    *TyCart*_banner.jpg
  • Options
    ReaganReagan Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I FREAKING LOVE SNARE SPEAK!

discuss

Reagan on
  • Options
    edited June 2009