As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

How to do Nighstick tricks

Durandal InfinityDurandal Infinity Registered User regular
edited June 2009 in Help / Advice Forum
I am currently going into a job in law enforcement in the near future and wanted to know if anyone knew or had instructions to do some night stick spins and tricks. Ive been practicing with my dad's old one but Im nowhere near as good as this

Durandal Infinity on

• Options
    PeregrineFalconPeregrineFalcon Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I'm not quite sure how to respond.

1. That's not that difficult, it's got a strap on it.
    2. If you're just getting a job in law enforcement, maybe you should consider learning how to do the job before learning how to goof off on it.
    3. Job in law enforcement, moar liek mall cop, m i rite?

PeregrineFalcon on
    Looking for a DX:HR OnLive code for my kid brother.
    Can trade TF2 items or whatever else you're interested in. PM me.
  • Options
    edited June 2009

2. If you're just getting a job in law enforcement, maybe you should consider learning how to do the job before learning how to goof off on it.

Obviously but as I am currently looking for temporary employment before the next academy class, I got nothin else to do.

Durandal Infinity on
  • Options
    NotYouNotYou Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    try looking for stuff on the net about the weapon 'tunqua.' You'll probably find some karate stuff that'll look way cooler than anything cops are doing.

and yea, that cop just has a strap on it. You don't need an instructional video to do that...

NotYou on
  • Options
    edited June 2009

Obviously but as I am currently looking for temporary employment before the next academy class, I got nothin else to do.

Officer.com might have something for you, I got nothing really. Too short for any variant of a staff form, and I mean, it's a stick with a strap attached if you're going to be carrying something like that video, rather than the typical "hippie-thumping twirl-friendly" model. :P

I'd still say just do the job and don't worry about swinging a nightstick around.

PeregrineFalcon on
  • Options
    DrZiplockDrZiplock Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I don't know any cops that carry a nightstick these days.

Almost all of them are carrying something called an asp.

Which is pretty much an extendable metal rod of doom.

DrZiplock on
  • Options
    SentrySentry Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    besides, isn't twirling a baton vaguely threatening?

Sentry on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    wrote:
    When I was a little kid, I always pretended I was the hero,' Skip said.
    'Fuck yeah, me too. What little kid ever pretended to be part of the lynch-mob?'
  • Options
    SebbieSebbie Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    It honestly looks like the officer is just letting the stick spin a few times before catching it by the handle. It doesn't look like anything fancy.
    I'd still say just do the job and don't worry about swinging a nightstick around.

I doubt the OP is getting in law enforcement to do baton tricks.

Sebbie on
    "It's funny that pirates were always going around searching for treasure, and they never realized that the real treasure was the fond memories they were creating."
  • Options
    martymarty Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    have you considered practicing on people of pigmentation and getting their opinions on your moves

marty on
    tf2_sig.png
  • Options
    GreenPowerRangerGreenPowerRanger Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Sebbie wrote: »
    It honestly looks like the officer is just letting the stick spin a few times before catching it by the handle. It doesn't look like anything fancy.

I doubt the OP is getting in law enforcement to do baton tricks.

yet its kinda worrying that when entering into law enforcement his burning question that he needs advice on is "how do I do the twirly stuff in this video?!"...

GreenPowerRanger on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    well dont worry your pretty little head about what I am doing, and it isnt a string that is attached it is a leather strap. There is a dynamic to it, and twirling a baton is not menacing, acting like buford T justice and smacking your opposite hand with one is. and nearly all cops have night sticks they are usually left in the car and not on the belt loop

Durandal Infinity on
  • Options
    GreenPowerRangerGreenPowerRanger Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    well dont worry your pretty little head about what I am doing, and it isnt a string that is attached it is a leather strap. There is a dynamic to it, and twirling a baton is not menacing, acting like buford T justice and smacking your opposite hand with one is. and nearly all cops have night sticks they are usually left in the car and not on the belt loop

Well I hope you get a trophy for twirling your baton.
    Allison-ewert8-9-07baton.jpg

GreenPowerRanger on
  • Options
    TK-42-1TK-42-1 Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    dont get mad because thats all britsh cops have

TK-42-1 on
    sig.jpgsmugriders.gif
  • Options
    edited June 2009

Mall Ninja, is that you?

PeregrineFalcon on
  • Options
    SammyFSammyF Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Hmm. I'm pretty sure if I was going to get a job in law enforcement, I would spend all my time running, take a boxing class and a judo class, fire 200 rnds of 9mm at a silhouette every day, and hit a law library to read the federal rules of evidence and a 1L crim pro law book ("stops and cops") so I could try and make the SWAT team or become a detective so I spent as little time as possible standing on a street corner twirling a nightstick.

But different strokes for different folks, I guess.

The Japanese name for the implement is "tonfa." I don't know how to do anything that might be considered a "trick" with it but that should help you refine your search.

SammyF on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Yeah, but being a successful SWAT/ETF agent doesn't get you the high school mallrat chicks, like twirling your baton and talking about "you should see the other club in my pants" does. You know they dig it because they're always giggling and pointing whenever you walk by. :P

Also tonfas have the side-grasp, the one in the video didn't.

PeregrineFalcon on
  • Options
    ThanatosThanatos Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Stay on topic. No one is interested in reading what you think of the question, just answer it or ignore it.

Thanatos on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    SammyF wrote: »
    Hmm. I'm pretty sure if I was going to get a job in law enforcement, I would spend all my time running, take a boxing class and a judo class, fire 200 rnds of 9mm at a silhouette every day, and hit a law library to read the federal rules of evidence and a 1L crim pro law book ("stops and cops") so I could try and make the SWAT team or become a detective so I spent as little time as possible standing on a street corner twirling a nightstick.

But different strokes for different folks, I guess.

The Japanese name for the implement is "tonfa." I don't know how to do anything that might be considered a "trick" with it but that should help you refine your search.

First off Ive been weight lifting and boxing for 4 years, secondly Ive fired more lead downrange than most mines have with a multitude of weapons for years, also the 1000p patrolman's guide of police policy and mistakes, and I am gunning for NYPD ESU as soon as I can. Furthermore, I just want help twirling a wood stick with a leather strap, not a social commentary on modern police work. Im currently unemployed and STARING AT THE MOTHERFUCKER RIGHT NOW. Im not gonna walk around like a jolly ole constable swinging away, and I dont plan on activating too many protestors dental plans with it. As I said Im sitting on my ass right now after a good day of posting my resume for temp jobs, and I just want to fuck around with this oblong yoyo that hurts.

Durandal Infinity on
  • Options
    DjeetDjeet Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    TK-42-1 wrote: »
    dont get mad because thats all britsh cops have

Don't they also get a whistle?

Djeet on
  • Options
    DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I recommend you carry three of them and take up juggling.

Darkewolfe on
    What is this I don't even.
  • Options
    ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I'm surprised you have any attachment to an oldschool nightstick.

Having been certified in the proper use of an "asp" (collapsible baton), I find them superior in every way. Equal or greater range should it become necessary to use one, significantly more concealable when not in use, and the sound one makes while extending has been equated to the racking of a shotgun in terms of inspiring the 'fight or flight' mechanism in people. If you pursue this route, I recommend the type designed by Pinetree Law Enforcement (or any similar system), which utilizes an internal locking mechanism, meaning you can extend it without having to whip it around (though that is still doable if necessary), and can collapse it without having to strike the ground or a solid object to break the friction lock between the segments of the baton.

Side note; Pinetree found that due to the force required to collapse a normal Asp, the ball at the end would ocassionally begin wearing down. This apparently led to a number of unfortunate incidents in which an officer would use the baton to push or prod a person and inadvertantly end up effectively spearing the subject instead.

Forar on
    First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • Options
    DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Does the officer get to pick their baton-type hippy-beating-device, or is it chosen by the department?

Darkewolfe on
    What is this I don't even.
This discussion has been closed.