As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Anime Thread] ITT, we saw Thetheroo become a broken husk of a man. [via School Days]

• Options
    Xenogears of BoreXenogears of Bore Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Sometimes a drill is just a drill.

Xenogears of Bore on
    3DS CODE: 3093-7068-3576
  • Options
    Bad KittyBad Kitty Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Aoi Hana episode 2:

Where we learn that Fumi is very, very gay considering she
    has been having sex with her cousin.

The show also picks up the pace a little, going nearly two full chapters this episode, and is still amazingly faithful to the manga.

I have one criticism, though. I wish the music were a little more evident or louder because it's quite nice. In H&C and especially Nodame, music was a huge element in setting up a scene. In Aoi Hana, it's so incredibly subdued that I had to re-watch to make sure there was actual music. I've grown used to Aa-chan's voice actress but I'm still disappointed in Fumi's voice actress. While Fumi is shy and selfish, she's quite bold in some aspects.

I'm loving the show so far: nicely animated and detailed in parts, such as the sleep-over scene. Next week should reveal the primary drama in Aoi Hana and I'm looking forward to how they present the library scene.

Bad Kitty on
  • Options
    Hexmage-PAHexmage-PA Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Falx wrote: »
    Hexmage-PA wrote: »
    It's definitely about penises. You must honour your fathers penis for bringing your penis into the world, and it's up to your penis to ensure the creation of more penises in the future.

you motherfuckers shut the hell up right fucking now

You've already spoiled Simon's name for me!

Adine... Adiane's... that female general's Ganmen has a giant vagina.

:x

Hexmage-PA on
  • Options
    PikaPuffPikaPuff Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I don't learn Fumi's very very gay in episode 2. I learn it via posts. So much for going into a show without knowing anything about it.

PikaPuff on
    jCyyTSo.png
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Well, you just done got told, sucka.

Xenogears of Bore on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    One thing for strike witches and school days is that no one watched it and thus no one spoiled it here

PikaPuff on
    jCyyTSo.png
  • Options
    SlicerSlicer Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Haven't watched it yet, but knowing that Fumi is the name of one of the protagonists and knowing that it's an anime about lesbians, I think it'd only be a spoiler if she wasn't gay! :P

Slicer on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    I'm sure some people watched School Days here besides you.

We might be alone on Strike Witches though. SW made me physically ill, so you might be alone when they do the continuation!

Xenogears of Bore on
  • Options
    BarrakkethBarrakketh Registered User regular
    edited July 2009

Even if you watched School Days I'm pretty sure you're not supposed to talk about it. Other than "Nice boat", of course.

Barrakketh on
    Rollers are red, chargers are blue....omae wa mou shindeiru
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Slicer wrote: »
    Haven't watched it yet, but knowing that Fumi is the name of one of the protagonists and knowing that it's an anime about lesbians, I think it'd only be a spoiler if she wasn't gay! :P

well hey i went it without knowing it was an anime about lesbians or any of that oh well

PikaPuff on
    jCyyTSo.png
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Barrakketh wrote: »

Even if you watched School Days I'm pretty sure you're not supposed to talk about it. Other than "Nice boat", of course.

Well yes, people do usually try to block out severe psychological damage such as that dealt out by School Days.

Xenogears of Bore on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    You mean the show you haven't even finished watching yet, XoB?

PikaPuff on
    jCyyTSo.png
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    I actually watched another episode a few days ago. I'll probably be finished by september or so as I only have three left.

Xenogears of Bore on
  • Options
    ThetherooThetheroo Registered User regular
    edited July 2009

Well yes, people do usually try to block out severe psychological damage such as that dealt out by School Days.

Hmm, sounds interesting. Psychological trauma like a horror show? Should this be something I should watch?

Thetheroo on
  • Options
    AroducAroduc regular
    edited July 2009
    PikaPuff wrote: »

well hey i went it without knowing it was an anime about lesbians or any of that oh well

Most people would be clued in by them being naked and caressing each other in the OP.

Aroduc on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Thetheroo wrote: »

Hmm, sounds interesting. Psychological trauma like a horror show? Should this be something I should watch?

Just watch it. It's too horrible to describe despite it's seemingly commonplace beginning.

Xenogears of Bore on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Okay, I'll start watching School Days. Will post impressions.

Thetheroo on
  • Options
    PataPata Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Why would you watch a show without knowing anything about it.

You have to at least know the basic premise.

If you start vomiting blood that's normal

Pata on
    SRWWSig.pngEpisode 5: Mecha-World, Mecha-nisim, Mecha-beasts
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Pata wrote: »
    Because posts here said the company had a good history and they expressed good opinions of the possible quality of the show. And I seem to have agreed with those posters before. Someone saw episode 1 and said it was good, with whatever details in spoilers. Then I saw it listed on crunchyroll and tried it out.

PikaPuff on
    jCyyTSo.png
  • Options
    edited July 2009

Not really. I watched the first season of Nanoha only knowing Nanoha's name and the genre, and was ultimately rewarded with awesome.

Barrakketh on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Aroduc wrote: »

Most people would be clued in by them being naked and caressing each other in the OP.
    There's a difference between getting hints from the OP and having someone who's already knows the plot from a different media telling you what's what.

PikaPuff on
    jCyyTSo.png
  • Options
    edited July 2009

Vomiting blood in a good way or bad way?

Thetheroo on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Just watch the show. The expectations you're getting from everyone else already messed it up anyways.

PikaPuff on
    jCyyTSo.png
  • Options
    SpectrumSpectrum Archer of Inferno Chaldea Rec RoomRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009

Not really. I watched the first season of Nanoha only knowing Nanoha's name and the genre, and was ultimately rewarded with awesome.
    I actually actively avoided Nanoha because I thought it was stupid loli shit until Season 3 started airing. I watched the first episode of that and was all D:D:D: :^::^::^:, was instantly converted, then went back to find Seasons 1 and 2.

Yes.

Spectrum on
    XNnw6Gk.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 2009

How does one vomit blood in a good way?

Barrakketh on
  • Options
    FuruFuru Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I just started watching Nanoha!

I was bored out of my mind until the end of the giant cat episode and after that shit got real

Furu on
  • Options
    edited July 2009

How does one vomit blood in a good way?
    I have at least a dozen doujins that can answer this for you.

PikaPuff on
    jCyyTSo.png
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Furu wrote: »
    I just started watching Nanoha!

I was bored out of my mind until the end of the giant cat episode and after that shit got real
    Yes, pretty much.

Until that episode, it's mostly standard magical girl fare and is only amusing if you're familiar with the genre and see what they're parodying.

After that episode, it becomes awesome.

Spectrum on
    XNnw6Gk.jpg
  • Options
    Bad KittyBad Kitty Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Wow, Pika you really are incredibly anal about this. That's . . . the basic premise of the show. I mean, I could say the same thing about Strike Witches, that "Miyafuji is very, very gay," and not reveal anything important at all.

Bad Kitty on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Just watch the show. The expectations you're getting from everyone else already messed it up anyways.

I'm pretty sure I've been around here long enough to take everything you say with a pound of salt.

Thetheroo on
  • Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    So after the eighth episode, phallic imagery and female anime cliches aside, I still rather enjoy Gurren Lagann. It has a nice Battlefield Earth feel to it and I always like stories that look like they're about a bunch of characters massing together over time rather than a few lone characters fighting the enemy by themselves.

I also give props to any show willing to kill main characters, something I understand will continue to happen.

Quid on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    strike witches
    except she's not? and that if you said that, that is what I'd be looking for throughout the series, and pretty much end up gyped?

you already used tags, what it so hard to have had your post like this?
    Bad Kitty wrote: »
    Aoi Hana episode 2:
    Where we learn that Fumi is very, very gay considering she has been having sex with her cousin.

The show also picks up the pace a little, going nearly two full chapters this episode, and is still amazingly faithful to the manga.

I have one criticism, though. I wish the music were a little more evident or louder because it's quite nice. In H&C and especially Nodame, music was a huge element in setting up a scene. In Aoi Hana, it's so incredibly subdued that I had to re-watch to make sure there was actual music. I've grown used to Aa-chan's voice actress but I'm still disappointed in Fumi's voice actress. While Fumi is shy and selfish, she's quite bold in some aspects.

I'm loving the show so far: nicely animated and detailed in parts, such as the sleep-over scene. Next week should reveal the primary drama in Aoi Hana and I'm looking forward to how they present the library scene.

PikaPuff on
    jCyyTSo.png
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    You should watch A's after you're done with the first season. It hits the ground running.

The first season managed to make me completely hate the "main" villain with record breaking speed. I think the introduction counted as going past the moral event horizon.

Barrakketh on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Pikapuff is as pikapuff does.

HOWEVER

School Days is as School Days does as well.

Xenogears of Bore on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Quid wrote: »
    So after the eighth episode, phallic imagery and female anime cliches aside, I still rather enjoy Gurren Lagann. It has a nice Battlefield Earth feel to it and I always like stories that look like they're about a bunch of characters massing together over time rather than a few lone characters fighting the enemy by themselves.

I also give props to any show willing to kill main characters, something I understand will continue to happen.
    whaaaaaaaat
    They don't get "killed." They die. In a manly way. with guts.
    ... man i have no clue how to word this joke correctly.
    manly men don't get killed without permission, they allow themselves to die. and they do it super manly and such

PikaPuff on
    jCyyTSo.png
  • Options
    SlicerSlicer Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Wow, Pika you really are incredibly anal about this. That's . . . the basic premise of the show. I mean, I could say the same thing about Strike Witches, that "Miyafuji is very, very gay," and not reveal anything important at all.

Heck, if you really want to get into semantics, most places with info and such count the gayness as one of the genres it belongs to!

Slicer on
  • Options
    edited July 2009

Speaking of "very gay", have you watched Maria Holic? If so, what were your impressions?

Barrakketh on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    You should watch A's after you're done with the first season. It hits the ground running.

The first season managed to make me completely hate the "main" villain with record breaking speed. I think the introduction counted as going past the moral event horizon.
    Actually, it may be worthwhile to try and get your hands on the supplementals.

Nanoha -> first 3 chapters of A's manga -> Nanoha A's / Nanoha A's manga (concurrent) / A's Soundstage (a few important tracks with Wolkenritter backstory) -> A's to StrikerS manga -> first episode of Nanoha StrikerS -> first couple chapters of StrikerS manga -> rest of Nanoha StrikerS / StrikerS manga (concurrent) / StrikerS Sound Stage (mostly skippable IIRC)

After that, it's StrikerS Sound Stage X (post series, pretty important), then Nanoha Force and Nanoha ViVid (dual Season 4 mangas taking place at different times).

Spectrum on
    XNnw6Gk.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Ok, after Baccano and Dub Note I think I'm going to take a break from anime and watch Avatar.

By then there should be enough FMA to watch.

Then it will be time for something new. Well, probably something old, but something different at any rate.

Xenogears of Bore on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Just watched the first episode of School Days. It seems pretty normal, albeit not something I would normally watch.

How is this supposed to be blood-vomiting?

Thetheroo on
This discussion has been closed.