As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Red Faction: Guerrilla *CREAK* *CRASH* *EURGH*

Big ClassyBig Classy Registered User regular
edited March 2011 in Games and Technology
red_faction_guerrilla.jpg

Out for the PS3, Xbox 360 and in the near future (estimated August), PCs too. Geurilla is a third-person shooter set in a sandbox world. Mars has become a mining planet and you set off to work there. The Earth Defence Force run things and are corrupt, almost as bad as the US (kidding). Some guy dies who is apparently your brother and you get all huffy and join the revolution.

But enough crock, let's get on to the good stuff. Destroying shit. Everything is destructible; buuildings, bridges, and more buildings. You have a huge arsenal of weapons including a sledgehammer that Thor would be proud of, remote charges, assault rifles, rocket launchers and nano rifles. There more but I don't want to bore you with the details. Let's just say alot of people be screaming. Oh and there's robots. Big hulking Walkers that wreck shit up like there's no tomorrow.

On to the videos!
Don't forget that there's also a demo up on PSN and Xbox Live, both multiplayer and singleplayer. Talking of online, here's a list of folks who like to wreck shit together on Xbox Live. Feel free to add the 'tag "A PA RedFaction" sans quotation marks.

Forum Name - Gamertag
KingMole - Kaddion
Arrath - Arrath777
Septus - Kurahoshi
Big Dookie - BigDaddyDookie
BlueDestiny - BlueDouble
Sharp10er - SharpTenor
Blue map - Gray Adder
Saiga - Lost Physicist
Sagroth - sag616
ygrella - CorpsicIe
Nickle - NickleDL
Strikerkc - Strikerkc
elizabex - elizabex
fragglefart - fragglefart

Bamelin & Co have also created this handy little map that jots all the crates and other goodies for your convenience.

Big Classy on

• Options
    darleysamdarleysam On my way to UKRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I approve of this thread and game.

Hadn't managed to play for about a week, loaded it up last night and managed to get through a few post-game missions before electing just to stick on some cheats and twat some cars through buildings or over mountains.

Or punt some EDF over mountains.

Or fire thermobaric rockets at their Deadly Deadly Flying Machines (because you can detonate them with your right trigger, folks).

darleysam on
    forumsig.png
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    I'm still trying to get to grips with the size of the game world. Parker completely threw me off so when I hit Dust I was so not ready for that amount of openness.

Big Classy on
  • Options
    GyralGyral Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Yeah the Parker > Dust jump threw me off as well. I was used to traveling short distances in no time and when I hit Dust, the mileage convinced me to never be on foot if at all possible.

Gyral on
    25t9pjnmqicf.jpg
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    I just want to veer away from the roads when cruising around Dust and Badlands though, go driving around to see what I can find.

darleysam on
    forumsig.png
  • Options
    grrarggrrarg Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Anyone seen the RF:G commercial on Hulu? It is so much better than the generic one that ran on tv. It explains how they used real world physics to make the buildings, then shows them blowing up and collapsing. It even shows Mason hammering a wall, sending the guard behind it flying.

That trailer would have sold me on the game if the demos had not.

grrarg on
  • Options
    WitchsightWitchsight Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    darleysam wrote: »
    I just want to veer away from the roads when cruising around Dust and Badlands though, go driving around to see what I can find.

Is there a fair amount of tiny locations to discover in this? I doubt if mars can live up to SotC in the "go out of your way for a pretty view" department.... but at least some stuff worth searching for?

Witchsight on
    Witchsight.png
  • Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Gyral wrote: »
    Yeah the Parker > Dust jump threw me off as well. I was used to traveling short distances in no time and when I hit Dust, the mileage convinced me to never be on foot if at all possible.

What I love is if you are out walking with no vehicle dudes will show up and drop one off.

Preacher on
    I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Witchsight wrote: »

Is there a fair amount of tiny locations to discover in this? I doubt if mars can live up to SotC in the "go out of your way for a pretty view" department.... but at least some stuff worth searching for?

You can find the mars rover, sadly its not destructable.

Preacher on
    I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    There's alot of hidden easter eggs, stuff that relates to older games in the series.

Big Classy on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Witchsight wrote: »

I don't know exactly, I mean I've not found smaller settlements in places or what-have-you, but I like just driving off over open terrain to take a look around on my own. After playing GTA IV and seeing Liberty City a whole lot, it's nice to be somewhere open and desolate.

darleysam on
    forumsig.png
  • Options
    HawkHawk ColoradoRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Yay, new one.

It took me forever to destroy the bridge (High Importance) in Badlands...how did you guys do it?

Hawk on
  • Options
    BehemothBehemoth Compulsive Seashell Collector Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I was surprised by how much of the hidden stuff related to the first game. I thought it was sort of a reboot, but it actually fits perfectly.

Behemoth on
    iQbUbQsZXyt8I.png
  • Options
    SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Man, I'm in Oasis and I've found a grand total of one radio tag.

SniperGuy on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Behemoth wrote: »
    I was surprised by how much of the hidden stuff related to the first game. I thought it was sort of a reboot, but it actually fits perfectly.

Do they have anything that brings the second in to play? I get that RFII takes place on Earth so yeah, there won't be any artifeacts but any random quips about the events of RFII?

Big Classy on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Hawk wrote: »
    Yay, new one.

It took me forever to destroy the bridge (High Importance) in Badlands...how did you guys do it?

The easiest way is with nanites, since they can actually damage the lower supports.

It took me forever the first time too. I ended up out of ammo and with the bridge at 30%, so I waited for some cars to show up and smacked them with my hammer to make them blow up.

The second time I used the MOAB conveniently located nearby. It did enough damage that I could finish it off with rockets and charges.

Behemoth on
    iQbUbQsZXyt8I.png
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Big Isy wrote: »

Do they have anything that brings the second in to play? I get that RFII takes place on Earth so yeah, there won't be any artifeacts but any random quips about the events of RFII?

I haven't seen any.

Behemoth on
    iQbUbQsZXyt8I.png
  • Options
    SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    edited June 2009

Yeah, is the "Parker" area a reference to the main character of the first game?

I should be getting this game tomorrow in the mail.

SteevL on
  • Options
    wusoldjrwusoldjr Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    In on this. I am still in line on Goozex. The demo is not helping the wait!!

wusoldjr on
  • Options
    acidlacedpenguinacidlacedpenguin Institutionalized Safe in jail.Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    there's really no easy way to describe how unexpectedly awesome this game. When I first heard about it I thought I'd pass seeing how the other two games weren't must-haves in any way, but damn this shit is good.

acidlacedpenguin on
    GT: Acidboogie PSNid: AcidLacedPenguiN
  • Options
    The Fourth EstateThe Fourth Estate Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Tis a very good game, but a word to the wise for acheivement whores; do all the side missions first. Trying to find the radio mission you missed and getting to spawn when you're on 103 guerilla actions completed? Not fun.

The Fourth Estate on
  • Options
    nlawalkernlawalker Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Yay, new one.

Buy the
    Nano Rifle (if you can't buy it yet, do more Dust missions). You have to have it to advance the story anyway.

Use the nano rifle on horizontal girders that sit on top of the concrete supports. I think it took me 8 shots to take out a section, and when traffic drove over it, that portion collapsed. I believe it registered as destroyed at that point.

Also, please add the Live metatag "A PA RedFaction" to the OP.

nlawalker on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    One thing to know about the radio tags, they show up as green dots on your radar.

Preacher on

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Preacher wrote: »
    One thing to know about the radio tags, they show up as green dots on your radar.

They won't show up on the world map, but they do show up on your HUD radar, although the green dots are "pings" so you'll have to be watching for them. Zooming out all the way with dpad down helps.

Most of them tend to be near or in steep mountains - you'll have to drive something to get over inclines then hop out and do some light bouldering on foot.

nlawalker on
  • Options
    RedcatRedcat Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    It got lost in the forest of the last thread, but I'd like to be around when the multiplayer gets rolling. Pubbies are awful and the game doesn't replace players when two or three of your team drop out in the first few minutes of the round.

Redcat Rising on the 360. I sent a FR to the 360 tag but I don't think it's been accepted yet.

Redcat on
    360 Metatag for Borderlands: PA Borderwangs
    My 360 tag: Redcat Rising
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    nlawalker wrote: »
    Yay, new one.

Buy the
    Nano Rifle (if you can't buy it yet, do more Dust missions). You have to have it to advance the story anyway.

Use the nano rifle on horizontal girders that sit on top of the concrete supports. I think it took me 8 shots to take out a section, and when traffic drove over it, that portion collapsed. I believe it registered as destroyed at that point.

Yeah that's similar to what I did eventually...
    I tried all sorts of weapons against it, nothing was really damaging the supports. Then I realized this "Nano" technology I hadn't purchased. So I finally did and wow that helped.

Then on top I placed remote charges on top of the supports then I took vehicles and drove them into the holes to damage the supports and half of it broke off and I fell so far (looked so awesome), then I finally got the other side and finished off the bridge.

Hawk on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Yay, new one.

Buy the

done :mrgreen:

Big Classy on
  • Options
    fragglefartfragglefart Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Playing and loving the Hell out of multiplayer, add me to OP list plaez.

Game of the [strike]year[/strike] month!

fragglefart on
    fragglefart.jpg
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Yeah Multiplayer is done pretty well, quite impressive.

Hawk on
  • Options
    ErrorError Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Playing and loving the Hell out of multiplayer, add me to OP list plaez.

Game of the [strike]month[/strike] year!

You got those mixed up, let me fix that for you.

Error on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Sent a friend request to the meta tag.

The Fourth Estate on
  • Options
    Steel-LionSteel-Lion Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    It's a seriously awesome game is this, I remember playing the demo for the first time.

I played that more then any actual 360 game I own.

Steel-Lion on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    I request all players to hammer a guy in the face as a sign of respect to Michael Jackson.

but serioously, sad news. Condolences to the family.

Big Classy on
  • Options
    Dropping LoadsDropping Loads Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    So much love for this game, but I cannot find a PC demo to download! Is there one?
    Also, how robust is the PC multiplayer community? Can one get a game at any time?

Dropping Loads on
    Sceptre: Penny Arcade, where you get starcraft AND marriage advice.
    3clipse: The key to any successful marriage is a good mid-game transition.
  • Options
    RustRust __BANNED USERS regular
    edited June 2009
    Just bought this yesterday.

An EDF convoy decided to accost me while I was playing around with a bridge in Parker. I wa sannoyed and had just gotten out my remote charges when the bridge fell on it, crushing the machine gunner.

I laughed and blew the rest of it up.

Rust on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Just played my first round online; most games have a learning curve but this feels like a brick wall; Even in counterstrike I knew what killed me, here I have no idea until it's way too late.

The Fourth Estate on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Holy shit! You guys weren't kidding when you mentioned the crazy ways a turret soldier on a vehicle dies.

1. side-swiped an EDF car on to the face of a cliff and it rolled over crushing the guy manning the gun realistically. I cringed.

2. head on collision with an edf vehicle led to the guy at the turret snapping forward then back really painfully.

3. drove over a ramp disguised as a hill and landed on a edf car..... on top of mans.

Big Classy on
  • Options
    ZxerolZxerol for the smaller pieces, my shovel wouldn't do so i took off my boot and used my shoeRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    So much love for this game, but I cannot find a PC demo to download! Is there one?
    Also, how robust is the PC multiplayer community? Can one get a game at any time?

No one knows because the PC version isn't even scheduled to be release until the end of August -- dunno why the the OP stated otherwise.

For kicks, I did get some info on the port from the official forums though. Check out these features, son:
    The PC version will have the following:
    • Adjustable resolutions / video settings
    • Fully customizable controls
    • Mouse control in menus
    • Support for DirectX9 and DirectX10

Adjustable resolutions? Customizable controls? You can control the menus with a mouse, are you effing serious?! Those are some awesome sweet features, guys, you gotta all calm down.

Zxerol on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Just played my first round online; most games have a learning curve but this feels like a brick wall; Even in counterstrike I knew what killed me, here I have no idea until it's way too late.

Hide.

Seriously, don't run out in the open if you don't have to, even in standard DM. Use lots and lots and lots of cover. If you get jumped from behind, there's often nothing you can do unless there is a nearby corner you can duck around, and anyone who's played more than 10 or 15 minutes knows that it's a very bad idea to blindly follow someone around a corner unless they are actively seeking to make out with a hammer.

Approach MP a little more tactically and it's a lot more fun. Move from cover to cover and stay near teammates. Keep moving, because the rail driver is like the Farsight from Perfect Dark: it can see and fire a very long distance through anything except terrain, and it highlights enemies in red. If you get one, you'll think it's cheap kills, until someone gets directly underneath the building you're in with a Thrust pack and thrusts up into you (true story).

Oh, and play Team Objective games. They are less brutal and more fun, and really make the best use of the unique points of the game.

nlawalker on
  • Options
    Dropping LoadsDropping Loads Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Thanks Zxerol, I was having trouble tracking down that PC version info, probably because it was delayed.

My goodness! Mouse control in menus! I'm gonna need to get a mouse for my computer now. O.o

Dropping Loads on
    Sceptre: Penny Arcade, where you get starcraft AND marriage advice.
    3clipse: The key to any successful marriage is a good mid-game transition.
  • Options
    DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    If you get one, you'll think it's cheap kills, until someone gets directly underneath the building you're in with a Thrust pack and thrusts up into you (true story).

Doing that is so much fun. :D

Darmak on
    JtgVX0H.png