Options

Bad (yet Entertaining) Movies You Love

Hexmage-PAHexmage-PA Registered User regular
edited September 2009 in Debate and/or Discourse
I'm getting tired of reading pretentious comments that criticize people who enjoy "bad" movies. In my opinion, as long as a movie is entertaining it isn't truly bad. They may not make you think or wow you with technical mastery of composition or sound design, but they can certainly make you have a good time.

Without further ado, here are my thoughts on three entertaining movies:

black-sheep-poster-0.jpg

Black Sheep
The story of a young man overcoming his fears and voicing dissent to his brother's management of the family business. The catch is that the main characters is terrified of sheep, the family business is a sheep farm in New Zealand, and his brother has authorized genetic engineering in the hopes of creating the ultimate breed of sheep. Thanks to the activities of two well-meaning hippies one of the failed experiments infects the entire farm, turning all the sheep into blood thirsty killers. This movie is filled with disgusting gore, so it's not for those with weak stomachs.

Did I mention Weta Workshop did the special effects?

godzilla-final_wars.jpg

Godzilla: Final Wars
In my opinion, this is by far the most entertaining kaiju flick I've ever seen. Now, in most giant monster movies, the only purpose that the scenes with people have are either to A)serve as exposition or B)make you wish you were watching monster battles instead. In this movie, however, the human cast is much more interesting. Why? Because instead of standing around talking they do things like dropkick people with motorcyles: How Many Ways Can You Fight With a Motorcycle? Godzilla: Final Wars is special in that it's director, Ryuhei Kitamura, is the man behind another entertaining movie called Versus (which features super powered zombie kung fu fighting). If you've ever seen Versus, Final Wars is even more ridiculous. The movie itself could be described as "Godzilla, The Matrix, Star Wars, and Versus all rolled into one". The only problem is that the monster action is actually kind of sparse. When it does show up, though, it's amazing.

Did I mention that the Japanese Godzilla fights the American Godzilla while a Sum 41 song plays in the background?

025192029622.jpg

Tremors 2: Aftershocks

I actually much prefer this movie to the first Tremors for two reasons. Firstly, I think the land based Shriekers are more interesting than the subterranean Graboids. Second, Michael Gross as gun nut conspiracy theorist Burt Gummer steals the show (BTW, despite being only a supporting character in the first two movies, Gross became the star of the next two, as well as the short lived TV series). Tremors is a fun series in that it is so different from your typical monster movie. Whereas in many movies the monsters are never acknowledged by the general public, the characters in the Tremors series actually exploit their existence and are selling merchandise based on the creatures that killed their friends by the second movie. The plot is simple: three guys are hired to kill underground worm monsters in Argentina. The worms that aren't killed in time give birth to land-based creatures called Shriekers that reproduce whenever they eat enough. Unfortunately for our heroes, the Shriekers get into Burt's MREs (meals ready to eat) and reproduce rapidly. From there on out its a race against time to find a way to kill all the Shriekers before their numbers grow out of control.

Did I mention Burt is Awesome?

Hexmage-PA on

• Options
    Satanic JesusSatanic Jesus Hi, I'm Liam! with broken glassesRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    D.O.A. Dead or Alive. Bought it for 2 euroes. Well worth it.

Satanic Jesus on
    my backloggery 3DS: 0533-5338-5186 steam: porcelain_cow goodreads
  • Options
    edited June 2009

Care to elaborate?

Hexmage-PA on
  • Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Man one of my favorite so bad its good movies is one called Mean Guns. Go look up whos in that on IMDB, fucking Christopher "I love being in bad movies" Lambert and Fucking Ice T!

This is one of my favorite late night starz watchings ever. Basic plot is a bunch of criminals who screwed over a syndicate are brought to a new prison and forced to kill each other for the chance to live and be handsomely rewarded. There is a strange supernatural element thats never really looked into very far, but all the gun fights are set to mambo music, its fantastic.

Preacher on
    I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    CrayonCrayon Sleeps in the wrong bed. TejasRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    The first Tremors, in my opinion, was actually a very good movie. Not even a bad but entertaining movie-just an actual good movie.

Crayon on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Crayon wrote: »
    The first Tremors, in my opinion, was actually a very good movie. Not even a bad but entertaining movie-just an actual good movie.

It's the best ground based monster movie to feature Reba Macintire you can own.

Preacher on
    I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    Satanic JesusSatanic Jesus Hi, I'm Liam! with broken glassesRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Hexmage-PA wrote: »

Care to elaborate?

As in I wouldn't pay more for it, but it was good for what I did pay for it.

Satanic Jesus on
    my backloggery 3DS: 0533-5338-5186 steam: porcelain_cow goodreads
  • Options
    JustinSane07JustinSane07 Really, stupid? Brockton__BANNED USERS regular
    edited June 2009
    The entire Godzilla series are cheesy, terrible movies that are absolutely lovable.

JustinSane07 on
  • Options
    RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I have a soft spot for Con Air. I think the whole Deadpan thing Nicholas Cage had in it worked well.

RMS Oceanic on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    I have a soft spot for Con Air. I think the whole Deadpan thing Nicholas Cage had in it worked well.

Yeah I own con air, and the Rock. I think of them as basically the same movie. "Put the bunny down." So awful, yet so good.

Preacher on

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    edited June 2009

Supposedly when Ryuhei Kitamura got the go ahead to make a Godzilla film his first idea was "Con Air, but with Godzilla".

Hexmage-PA on
  • Options
    HyperAquaBlastHyperAquaBlast Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I have always liked the Big Hit. Its pretty crappy but Lou Diamond Phillips and Marky Mark are pretty funny in it. I'm surprised I don't own a copy yet.

HyperAquaBlast on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    I really like the Replacement Killers as well. I know its basically just a western homage to a CYF movie with CYF in it, but god damn its entertaining. Plus Mira Sorvino is hot, so win win.

Preacher on

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    LoveIsUnityLoveIsUnity Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Preacher wrote: »

Yeah I own con air, and the Rock. I think of them as basically the same movie. "Put the bunny down." So awful, yet so good.

Any movie that presents a group of criminals like the starting line in an NBA championship game cannot be bad.

Also, that movie has an incredible amount of talent for how ridiculous it is. Malkovich knew exactly what he was doing when he signed on to play Cyrus "The Virus."

LoveIsUnity on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    SQUIRREL!SQUIRREL! __BANNED USERS regular
    edited June 2009
    Spiderman 3. Nearly unwatchable but if I get drunk it's pretty fun to sit down with the girlfriend and just tear into.

Also, my absolute favorite MST3K episode is Boggy Creek 2:

"Drivin' down the road
    lookin' for a Waffle House
    Drinkin' lots of Wild Turkey!"

SQUIRREL! on
  • Options
    GodfatherGodfather Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Does Be Kind, Rewind count?

I love that movie to death, but everyone I talk to seems to outright hate it.

Godfather on
  • Options
    InvisibleInvisible Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I really like Starship Troopers. I love the corny "Join the Service!" promo videos, the crazy bug firefights and even the not-rugby rugby match.

There's nothing better than not being able to fall asleep, turning the TV on at 1 am and finding TBS or TNT playing Starship Troopers.

Invisible on
  • Options
    edited June 2009

Any movie that presents a group of criminals like the starting line in an NBA championship game cannot be bad.

Also, that movie has an incredible amount of talent for how ridiculous it is. Malkovich knew exactly what he was doing when he signed on to play Cyrus "The Virus."

Indeed, him and Ving Rhames hammed it up, but thats what the role called for. It wasn't like when Kingsley showed up in Blood Rayne and was so phoning it in (yes I've seen Blood Rayne).

Preacher on

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Godfather wrote: »

All of those people are wrong and stupid that movie was amazing. I cried at the end.

SQUIRREL! on
  • Options
    RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Hexmage-PA wrote: »

Supposedly when Ryuhei Kitamura got the go ahead to make a Godzilla film his first idea was "Con Air, but with Godzilla".

You've now put the picture in my head with Godzilla sitting next to King Kong in a gigantic airplane in prison drab, while he casually steers his head to look at Mecha-Godzilla.

"...hi, Mecha."

RMS Oceanic on
  • Options
    BlackjackBlackjack Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Crayon wrote: »
    Totally agreed. It's very self aware and so avoids the trap of taking itself too seriously.

Also, my pick:
    tales_from_the_crypt_presents_demon.jpg

Although, really, I tend to flip between thinking it's a "so bad it's good" and just plain good.

Blackjack on
    camo_sig2.png

3DS: 1607-3034-6970
  • Options
    LoveIsUnityLoveIsUnity Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Preacher wrote: »

Indeed, him and Ving Rhames hammed it up, but thats what the role called for. It wasn't like when Kingsley showed up in Blood Rayne and was so phoning it in (yes I've seen Blood Rayne).

I've seen Blood Rayne too. It was one of the Netflix Instant Watch movies.

LoveIsUnity on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    00012_12.jpg

Godzilla Vs Gigan

One of my first Godzilla movies (with the other two being King Kong Vs Godzilla and Godzilla Vs Mechagodzilla), Godzilla Vs Gigan is my second favorite installment in the series. Part of the reason is nostalgia, but I also find it to be a lot more enjoyable than most of the old Godzilla movies. The plot centers on a down on his luck manga artist who gets a job creating concept art for a new amusement park named "Children's Land". He is nearly immediately confronted by a man and woman who think there is something strange about the men running the project. Sure enough, they turn out to be cockroach people from "Spacehunter Nebula M" who plan to use Children's Land as their headquarters to conquer Earth. This movie is probably the bloodiest of the old Godzilla movies (which, honestly, aren't that bloody). However, one scene in particular startled me when I rewatched this movie years later; when Anguirus, an ankylosaurus monster, charges headfirst into Gigan, a cyborg with a buzzsaw in his stomach, Anguirus's blood abruptly spurts out and covers the screen.

Did I mention that Godzilla and Anguirus talk in this movie (BTW, the Japanese version uses word balloons)?

"Hey, Anguirus!"

Hexmage-PA on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    I've seen Blood Rayne too. It was one of the Netflix Instant Watch movies.

I've got you beat, I saw it opening weekend in the theater. I was writing reviews for a small internet site at the time, but honestly my wife and I do that now for the hilarity factor alone. Like we saw in the Name of the King the same way.

DO NOT DO THIS IF YOU LIKE YOURSELF!

Preacher on

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    MannenbroughMannenbrough Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I thought The Spirit was fucking awesome.

An entertaining movie is a good movie, in my book.

Mannenbrough on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    I thought The Spirit was fucking awesome.

An entertaining movie is a good movie, in my book.

"I'm The Octopus, I have eight of everything!"

I heard that line in a trailer before a movie and yelled out "nope!" real loud so everybody in the theater could hear me. I got a few giggles. Totally worth it.

SQUIRREL! on
  • Options
    SentrySentry Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    The Spirit was awesome. But I watched the whole thing as a satire of the Superhero genre, which is what it was, I think.

On the other hand... my two guilty pleasure movies are Blast From the Past (which is TERRIBLE, but I love it for some unknown reason) and 10 Things I Hate About You.

Sentry on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    wrote:
    When I was a little kid, I always pretended I was the hero,' Skip said.
    'Fuck yeah, me too. What little kid ever pretended to be part of the lynch-mob?'
  • Options
    ElkiElki get busy Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited June 2009
    Its like when I'm right I'm right, when I'm wrong I could been right, so I'm still right cause I coulda been wrong, you know, and I'm sorry cause I could be wrong right now, I could be wrong, but if I'm right... - Get Rich or Die Tryin'

Elki on
    smCQ5WE.jpg
  • Options
    mojojoeomojojoeo A block off the park, living the dream.Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    UHF?

mojojoeo on
    Chief Wiggum: "Ladies, please. All our founding fathers, astronauts, and World Series heroes have been either drunk or on cocaine."
  • Options
    y2jake215y2jake215 certified Flat Birther theorist the Last Good Boy onlineRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    demolition man.

edit: oh and joe dirt. joe deer-tay

y2jake215 on
    C8Ft8GE.jpg
    maybe i'm streaming terrible dj right now if i am its here
  • Options
    GodfatherGodfather Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    SQUIRREL! wrote: »

All of those people are wrong and stupid that movie was amazing. I cried at the end.

Thank God.

I thought I was going crazy over here.

Godfather on
  • Options
    GoodOmensGoodOmens Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I love love love Real Genius. Really fun geeky comedy from 1985, with Val Kilmer as an asshole supergenius physics student, William Atherton as his stuck-up dean, and a plan to create a super powerful laser.

Oh, and...
    jordan.gif

Upon whom I had a massive crush.

GoodOmens on
    steam_sig.png
    IOS Game Center ID: Isotope-X
  • Options
    TamTam Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I don't know what the general consensus is on Meet the Robinsons, but I enjoyed it quite a bit.

Tam on
  • Options
    JustinSane07JustinSane07 Really, stupid? Brockton__BANNED USERS regular
    edited June 2009
    I hated that movie. I saw it on HBO or something and like, it was a such a train wreck I couldn't stop watching it.

JustinSane07 on
  • Options
    Torso BoyTorso Boy Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Very Bad Things. A hit-and-miss black comedy that does one thing exquisitely: grown men yelling at each other.

More love for Con Air, The Rock and Face/Off. True Lies was received well, but is still pretty sill and bad- and I love it to death.

Even though those movies bordered on self-parody, Shooter really is an excellent satire of action movies, although I'm not convinced it was intended as such. I mean, every problem is solved with bullets, even at the end-
    Marky Mark has his name cleared, everything's turned out nicely...but he still slaughters the bad guys anyway, because they knew that's what the audience would want, even though it doesn't make a lick of sense.

I also enjoyed Pitch Black AND Chronicles of Riddick. I should probably have a CT scan or something.

Torso Boy on
  • Options
    edited June 2009
    Pitch Black wasn't a terrible movie. It was decently fun.

SQUIRREL! on
  • Options
    Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Batman & Robin is a far better unintentional parody of the superhero genre than The Spirit. All of the excesses of comic books, none of the redeeming qualities, and a future governor yelling ice puns.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SRH-Ywpz1_I&feature=related

Robos A Go Go on
  • Options
    LibrarianThorneLibrarianThorne Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Awesome Good Times:
    The Last Dragon
    Starship Troopers
    Last Action hero
    Star Trek 4

LibrarianThorne on
  • Options
    oldmankenoldmanken Registered User regular
    edited June 2009

Why do you talk to stupid people?

In any case, Independence Day was on tonight... it's so good!

oldmanken on
  • Options
    joshua1joshua1 Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    That person who nominated meet the robinsons, i totally agree with you. I just love that movie to pieces.

joshua1 on
  • Options
    BlackjackBlackjack Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Mars Attacks.

Blackjack on
    camo_sig2.png

3DS: 1607-3034-6970