As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

PSPGo price announced for $249. Once again, less is more!

• Options
    ZoolanderZoolander Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Evander wrote: »
    Zoolander wrote: »
    slash000 wrote: »
    It's not like the PSP has so much memory that creating a save state would fill up gigs and gigs of data.

What is it? 8 megs of main memory, 4 megs of video memory total, and 2 megs of media related memory?

Even a 2 gig memory stick could hold well over a hundred save states easily.

If this is even designed to hold multiple save states at the same time..

Yes, but the fact that it's not always guaranteed to be there makes it difficult to implement and perhapss more importantly, support in a final product. There are so many ways the user can fuck that feature up, by removing the memory stick, by formatting the memory stick, by switching memory sticks, etc. etc.

No company would ever support a feature that messy. Maybe if Sony put a warning saying 'this is a BETA feature, we won't support it, so don't call us if something doesn't work', then maybe.

edit: beated

Do users do those things?

I mean, that's kind of like arguing that users might try to switch batteries during gameplay, or complain if they try to turn the device on without a battery in it, or with zero charge.
    If you've ever worked at a company that creates products used by stupid people, you'd realize why any sane company would stay miles away from such a thing. Even the simple concept of occasionally saving files to the harddrive requires tons of on-screen messages telling people not to do anything stupid to the system while it's saving. This feature would be even worse.

Zoolander on
  • Options
    EvanderEvander Disappointed Father Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    slash000 wrote: »
    It's not like the PSP has so much memory that creating a save state would fill up gigs and gigs of data.

What is it? 8 megs of main memory, 4 megs of video memory total, and 2 megs of media related memory?

Even a 2 gig memory stick could hold well over a hundred save states easily.

If this is even designed to hold multiple save states at the same time..

Yes, but the fact that it's not always guaranteed to be there makes it difficult to implement and perhapss more importantly, support in a final product. There are so many ways the user can fuck that feature up, by removing the memory stick, by formatting the memory stick, by switching memory sticks, etc. etc.

No company would ever support a feature that messy. Maybe if Sony put a warning saying 'this is a BETA feature, we won't support it, so don't call us if something doesn't work', then maybe.

edit: beated

Do users do those things?

I mean, that's kind of like arguing that users might try to switch batteries during gameplay, or complain if they try to turn the device on without a battery in it, or with zero charge.
    If you've ever worked at a company that creates products used by stupid people, you'd realize why any sane company would stay miles away from such a thing. Even the simple concept of occasionally saving files to the harddrive requires tons of on-screen messages telling people not to do anything stupid to the system while it's saving. This feature would be even worse.

The CSRs don't design the feature list.

I'm still not getting the point of how this would be any different from the risks of people fucking around with their batteries.

Evander on
  • Options
    ZythonZython Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Sorry if this is off-topic, but I thought this would be the best place to ask.

So, I've been considering buying a PSP for a while, and was wondering about the PSPgo.

1. If the PSP library is going on the PSN, doesn't that mean I can just buy the games on a PS3?
    2. Is the UMD drive being replaced by a hard drive? If so, how much space will it have?

Basically, what I'm asking is, from what's known right now, which would be worth more: a PSP 3000, a PSPgo, or a PS3 (assuming the answer to 1 is yes)?

Zython on
    Switch: SW-3245-5421-8042 | 3DS Friend Code: 4854-6465-0299 | PSN: Zaithon
    Steam: pazython
  • Options
    VeganVegan Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    You can certainly buy them on a PS3, but you have to play them on a PSP (any model will do).

Vegan on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    DracilDracil Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    None of the above. Get a PSP 2000 with an older motherboard, get CFW on it, and enjoy better battery life and a bigger screen and full BC than the PSPGo and PSP3000.

Dracil on
    3DS: 2105-8644-6304
    Switch: US 1651-2551-4335 JP 6310-4664-2624
    MH3U Monster Cheat Sheet / MH3U Veggie Elder Ticket Guide
  • Options
    TaranisTaranis Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Dracil wrote: »
    None of the above. Get a PSP 2000 with an older motherboard, get CFW on it, and enjoy better battery life and a bigger screen and full BC than the PSPGo and PSP3000.

Full BC as in PSX BC?

Taranis on
    EH28YFo.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 2009

Interesting, I think I understand why the 2000 has a longer battery life, given that the 3000 has a brighter screen. But what's this about bigger screen and BC on the 2000?

Zython on
  • Options
    GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Taranis wrote: »
    Full BC as in PSX BC?
    Full BC as in play all the games in the PSP library, not just the who-the-fuck-knows percentage of UMD ones they'll end up reselling you in digital format. If PS3's backwards compatibility is any indication Sony won't bend over backwards to do shit about it after the first 6 months of sales are over.

Glal on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Glal wrote: »
    Full BC as in PSX BC?
    Full BC as in play all the games in the PSP library, not just the who-the-fuck-knows percentage of UMD ones they'll end up reselling you in digital format. If PS3's backwards compatibility is any indication Sony won't bend over backwards to do shit about it after the first 6 months of sales are over.

Guys, this isn't BC

this is CC

CURRENT COMPATABILITY

The PSP Go! doesn't have any new hardware in any of the crucial areas. It can't play any new games that older PSPs couldn't/

Evander on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    I can't respond because I can't for the life of me parse "it can't play any new games that older PSPs couldn't".

Glal on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    I can't respond because I can't for the life of me parse "it can't play any new games that older PSPs couldn't".

"it" = the PSP Go!
    "can't" = an inability
    "play" = run the code for
    "any" = even a single
    "new" = not previously existing
    "games" = programs created from strings of code for the purpose of active entertainment

"that" = this word is being used to create a restrictive clause, through the words coming after it

"older" = previously existing
    "PSPs" = specifically the 1000, 2000, and 3000 models
    "couldn't" = an inability
    (contextually, the word "play" is implied again at the end of the sentence.)

The tense is wrong on that last "couldn't", perhaps, but that shouldn't make the phrase unreadable, unless you're trying to be pedantic.

Evander on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    I parse it as "the new PSP can't play any games that the old one couldn't play". Which is true of the DS, rocks and several species of cat as well. None of them can play games that the old PSP can't play.

Also, after picking at Dracil's use of BC I wouldn't bitch about other being pedantic. :P

Glal on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    I parse it as "the new PSP can't play any games that the old one couldn't play". Which is true of the DS, rocks and several species of cat as well. None of them can play games that the old PSP can't play.

Also, after picking at Dracil's use of BC I wouldn't bitch about other being pedantic. :P

Great job at COMPLETELY ignoring the point. (And I'm not denying being a bit of a pedant, I think the nits I'm picking, though, are relevant to the larger picture)

The PSP Go! is not a new generation of PSP, so referring to UMDs as "Backwards Compatability" makes no sense. The fact is, there is no set of new PSP Go!-only games (and if there ever are, it will be only through a software lock, not because the PSP Go! can do new things as far as the games themselves.)

Imagine if you had a 360. Then you bought a New 360 that cost even more money, but had no disc drive. Instead it ONLY played XBLA games. THAT is what the PSP Go! is.

It's not a question of BC. It's a matter of not even being able to play current generation games.

Evander on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    So what? Dracil used a term, perhaps awkwardly. I explained what he meant. At this point you're not contributing anything except whinging that he used the term wrong. Show of hands for everyone who gives enough of a fuck to actually make an issue of it...

Glal on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    I'm not calling anyone out on terms used incorrectly. This is not any sort of personal whatever/

I'm clarifying a term because of it's larger implications in this entire debacle.

Please stop shitting on the thread.

Evander on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Picture of bickering pots. And possibly kettles.

Glal on
  • Options
    PeregrineFalconPeregrineFalcon Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Evander wrote:
    hurf
    Glal wrote:
    durf

Fuck's sake, the both of you shut up because I still haven't gotten a goddamn answer as to whether or not they de-shittified the TV output on this fucker or if it's still 480x272 letter/pillarboxed in a 480p signal.

PeregrineFalcon on
    Looking for a DX:HR OnLive code for my kid brother.
    Can trade TF2 items or whatever else you're interested in. PM me.
  • Options
    Unco-ordinatedUnco-ordinated NZRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    The PSP Go! is not a new generation of PSP, so referring to UMDs as "Backwards Compatability" makes no sense. The fact is, there is no set of new PSP Go!-only games (and if there ever are, it will be only through a software lock, not because the PSP Go! can do new things as far as the games themselves.)

If you're going to throw your opinions around as if they're facts, you may want to follow the news a little.
    The PSP Go isn't just smaller than the original PSP series -- it's more powerful. In fact, it features a processor that's more than 40% faster than the original. The original PSP (1000-3000) series include a processor capable of reaching 333MHz speeds. FCC documents reveal that the PSP Go (N1001) includes a processor that can go up to 480MHz.

It's unclear what the added processor power will be used for. It may be necessary for PSP Go-specific features, like in-game XMB. But will it be used in more traditional gaming applications? If so, could we possibly see PSP Go-exclusive games? Perhaps. Nintendo has released a very small number of applications exclusively for the upgraded DSi, which also features a much beefier processor than its predecessor so there's portable precedence.

http://www.joystiq.com/2009/07/02/psp-go-processor-more-than-40-faster-than-original/

PeregrineFalcon: I'm pretty sure I already did answer your question. Expecting the PSP to be able to upscale its games to HD resolutions is nothing short of ridiculous. Sony would've had to install a scaling chip and increase the RAM a bit to do so.

Unco-ordinated on
    Steam ID - LiquidSolid170 | PSN ID - LiquidSolid
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    PeregrineFalcon: I'm pretty sure I already did answer your question. Expecting the PSP to be able to upscale its games to HD resolutions is nothing short of ridiculous. Sony would've had to install a scaling chip and increase the RAM a bit to do so.

Couldn't find that in a quick browse. Linkage?

I don't care about HD resolutions, and scaling 480x272 to something like 720p would look like ass - I just want it to scale up a bit better into 480p. I mean, I can still use the "blow up the image" option on the TV, I just think that it's a little silly to have to do that.

PeregrineFalcon on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Evander wrote:
    hurf
    Glal wrote:
    durf

Fuck's sake, the both of you shut up because I still haven't gotten a goddamn answer as to whether or not they de-shittified the TV output on this fucker or if it's still 480x272 letter/pillarboxed in a 480p signal.

There's no answer on the sell sheet

They DO want to push podcast downloading (apparently it will have some kind of podcast directory) and also, they want to use "rip your CDs to it" as a selling feature, which is an interesting move for Sony, specifically, to be making.

Evander on
  • Options
    TaranisTaranis Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Given that PSP hardware is already more powerful than the PS2, I'd imagine that upscaling it's output to 480p is within the realm of possibility.

Taranis on
    EH28YFo.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Yeah, but the fact that it's not on the sell sheet of ZOMG NEW FEATURES makes me expect to be disappointed.

No WPA2 bullet-point either?

PeregrineFalcon on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Another interesting tidbit:

According to wikipedia (so take this with a grain of salt, of course) the theoretical limit of Memory Stick Micro is 32 gigs, bringing the maximum memory possible in a PSP Go! to 48 gigs (the sell sheet only lists 2 and 4 gig micros, and I believe that 16s are the largest ACTUALLY on the market, but I'll be generous there.)

Meanwhile, the same wikipedia page lists the theoretical limit of Pro Duos as being 2 TB.

(source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Memory_Stick)

Now, I don't know that 2 TB Pro Duos would ever reach market, or how insanely over-priced they'd be if they did, but this DOES open the door to the potentiality of a reasonably priced 64 or 128 gig Pro Duo some time within the next couple of years, which is a capacity that, if the Wikipedia page is right, the PSP Go! couldn't match.

Evander on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Yeah, but the fact that it's not on the sell sheet of ZOMG NEW FEATURES makes me expect to be disappointed.

No WPA2 bullet-point either?

it's not a comprehensive sheet (it's a 2 page pdf that is mostly a picture of the device and a list of accessories) so just because something isn't on there doesn't mean it won't be in the device.

No WPA2 bullet point, though.

It DOES list that the Go will come with an "exclusive" Rockband Unplugged DEMO voucher. I'm rather curious what exactly that means. Is it a voucher for the demo that already exists (which, mind you, I thought was complete garbage, because it won't let you complete a single song) or maybe a voucher for some secret demo that is actually good?

Evander on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Given that PSP hardware is already more powerful than the PS2, I'd imagine that upscaling it's output to 480p is within the realm of possibility.
    Really? I've not seen many PSP games that even matched later generation PS2 games graphics-wise, let alone surpass them. And that's at less than half the resolution, which should be a significant speed boost even with same-speed hardware. Is that estimate just based on the processor clock speed or also taking the other chipsets into account?

Glal on
  • Options
    Unco-ordinatedUnco-ordinated NZRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009

Couldn't find that in a quick browse. Linkage?

I don't care about HD resolutions, and scaling 480x272 to something like 720p would look like ass - I just want it to scale up a bit better into 480p. I mean, I can still use the "blow up the image" option on the TV, I just think that it's a little silly to have to do that.

It was this post. It wasn't a long answer so it was probably pretty easy to pass over.

Even 480p isn't exactly possible though. To upscale games, they'd need to have a consistent amount of CPU space dedicated towards that very function, since you wouldn't be able to let developers touch it in the case that you actually needed to use it to upscale.

And no, the PSP really isn't more powerful than the PS2. The only thing that could create the illusion of such a thing is (like Glal said) the PSP's screen size.

Unco-ordinated on
    Steam ID - LiquidSolid170 | PSN ID - LiquidSolid
  • Options
    BladeXBladeX Registered User regular
    edited July 2009

If you're going to throw your opinions around as if they're facts, you may want to follow the news a little.
    The PSP Go isn't just smaller than the original PSP series -- it's more powerful. In fact, it features a processor that's more than 40% faster than the original. The original PSP (1000-3000) series include a processor capable of reaching 333MHz speeds. FCC documents reveal that the PSP Go (N1001) includes a processor that can go up to 480MHz.

It's unclear what the added processor power will be used for. It may be necessary for PSP Go-specific features, like in-game XMB. But will it be used in more traditional gaming applications? If so, could we possibly see PSP Go-exclusive games? Perhaps. Nintendo has released a very small number of applications exclusively for the upgraded DSi, which also features a much beefier processor than its predecessor so there's portable precedence.

http://www.joystiq.com/2009/07/02/psp-go-processor-more-than-40-faster-than-original/

480MHz? Holy crap! There's people that have been working on using x86 to get Fallout to work on the PSP. I've been dying to pull out my Fallout disc to have some portable Fallout action but it just runs too slowly. I'm wondering if CFW is ever accomplished on the PSPGo if the faster processor would make this possible.

(If this discussion is against the rules I can remove my comment, I don't believe it is though as you need to own Fallout to do this. Like the Doom PSP port where you still need a copy of Doom to run it.)

BladeX on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Seeing as CFW can't even run on a 3000, and the Go! lacks a removable battery, even, it doesn't look good for it.

Evander on
  • Options
    BladeXBladeX Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Seeing as CFW can't even run on a 3000, and the Go! lacks a removable battery, even, it doesn't look good for it.

Oh right, I forgot about the non-removable battery and that the 3000 only has that load it from a memory stick and it has to be reloaded on every restart solution so far.

BladeX on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    It was this post. It wasn't a long answer so it was probably pretty easy to pass over.

Even 480p isn't exactly possible though. To upscale games, they'd need to have a consistent amount of CPU space dedicated towards that very function, since you wouldn't be able to let developers touch it in the case that you actually needed to use it to upscale.

And no, the PSP really isn't more powerful than the PS2. The only thing that could create the illusion of such a thing is (like Glal said) the PSP's screen size.

Ah, I see it now. But if it does have a 480MHz processor, that seems like a bit of overhead built in right there.

PeregrineFalcon on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    BladeX wrote: »

Oh right, I forgot about the non-removable battery and that the 3000 only has that load it from a memory stick and it has to be reloaded on every restart solution so far.

I'm not saying it won't happen.

I'm just saying that, honestly, Sony seems to be more focused on preventing CFW than they are on providing a quality user experience.

Evander on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    So I take it the consensus here is that the PSP 2000 is the best model?

Zython on
  • Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    If you wanna do illegal things, I guess. Other than that and the whole pixel thing in 2D games (which isn't really major), I don't see any clear advantages the 2000 has over the 3000.

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    BeckBeck Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Zython wrote: »

I like the 3000 because the screen has far less ghosting issues, but CFW is not available on this platform, and may never be (I wouldn't rule it out completely, but if it doesn't happen before the Go comes out it probably never will). So, if CFW is really important for you, get an older PSP 2000. If you're just in it for the PSP (like I am) go for the 3000 and hope CFW eventually comes your way.

Beck on
    Lucas's Franklin Badge reflected the lightning back!
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Beck wrote: »

I like the 3000 because the screen has far less ghosting issues, but CFW is not available on this platform, and may never be (I wouldn't rule it out completely, but if it doesn't happen before the Go comes out it probably never will). So, if CFW is really important for you, get an older PSP 2000. If you're just in it for the PSP (like I am) go for the 3000 and hope CFW eventually comes your way.

What features DOES CFW have, anyhow, if you don't mind my asking.

Zython on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Beck wrote: »

What features DOES CFW have, anyhow, if you don't mind my asking.

there are a whole lot.

I believe that one of the big ones, for many people, is being able to rip their games, and run them off of a memory stick. Yes, this is somewhat similar to the Go! in functionality, but I doubt everyone with CFW wants to rebuy all of their games.

Personally, I haven't used homebrew of any sort (other than a browser work-around that had a couple of flash games) since I upgraded my PSP to FW 1.51 (I used to run homebrew on it when it was 1.5, but I didn't feel like having to wait to play new games that required FW updates.)

edit: I currently have a 2000, because I liked the improved D-pad, and faster load times, but I refused to get a 3000 because yearly revisions are bullshit for consoles.

Evander on
  • Options
    DracilDracil Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    If you wanna do illegal things, I guess. Other than that and the whole pixel thing in 2D games (which isn't really major), I don't see any clear advantages the 2000 has over the 3000.

You mean besides better battery life and faster load times and not carrying around a fuckload of UMDs of games you own and not what Sony decides you can own, and making the PSP actually use all its RAM for the browser and playing Youtube videos? Yeah, I guess not.

Seriously, the PSPGo is like Apple saying you can ONLY play iTunes music on their new iPod. Fuck your CD rips. And what boggles the mind is people then go "YAY" to this.

Dracil on
    3DS: 2105-8644-6304
    Switch: US 1651-2551-4335 JP 6310-4664-2624
    MH3U Monster Cheat Sheet / MH3U Veggie Elder Ticket Guide
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    All I want is a PSP so I can play games like Echochrome and Patapon. Why does Sony have to make things so fucking complicated?

Seriously, though, thanks for all the help, but I think I need to do some more info digging before I can actually decide.

Zython on
  • Options
    Darth_MogsDarth_Mogs Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    All I want is a PSP so I can play games like Echochrome and Patapon. Why does Sony have to make things so fucking complicated?

Seriously, though, thanks for all the help, but I think I need to do some more info digging before I can actually decide.

If you just want to get a PSP to just play PSP games, it's actually not complicated at all. Find a PSP. Buy it. Buy Games. Enjoy.

You actually don't have to dabble in CFW at all to have an enjoyable handheld in the PSP. A 2000 or a 3000 will suit your needs nicely. Hell, if you wanted to wait for a Go, you could, but the ones out now are less expensive and are out already.

Darth_Mogs on
    Kupowered - It's my Blog!
  • Options
    edited July 2009

Looks like you're wrong, friend.

http://www.engadget.com/2009/07/06/sce-pspgos-480mhz-clock-speed-references-usb-not-cpu/

The faster speed specified reffers to USB, not the CPU.

This is why I generally take all of these spec announcements with a grain of salt, until there's an official statement. Too many "journalists" like to jump to conclusions based on partial information, because it makes for better stories.

Evander on