Options

PSPGo price announced for $249. Once again, less is more!

• Options
    KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    So Capcom announced that they're bringing PS1 and PSP games to the PSN. Their list are:

PS1 Games

* Dino Crisis
    * Resident Evil 2
    * Resident Evil 3: Nemesis

PSP Games

* Capcom Classics Collection Remixed
    * Mega Man Powered Up (Please buy this game so that Capcom makes a sequel!)
    * Power Stone Collection
    * Mega Man Maverick Hunter X
    * Darkstalkers
    * Street Fighter Alpha 3 Max
    * Capcom Classics Collection Reloaded

It's a good start.

Kyougu on
  • Options
    ZoolanderZoolander Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    So wait, does Evander think the PSP Go is good or not?

Zoolander on
  • Options
    -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Evander wrote: »
    No, I think that they should do both, personally.

How many people do you REALLY think own (or will buy) a DS3 who do not already own (or intend to buy) a PS3?

People who want to play their PSP over component cable on their TV comfortably without buying a system that costs them
    half a thousand dollars, just to use said accessory?

-Loki- on
  • Options
    EvanderEvander Disappointed Father Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    -Loki- wrote: »

How many people do you REALLY think own (or will buy) a DS3 who do not already own (or intend to buy) a PS3?

People who want to play their PSP over component cable on their TV comfortably without buying a system that costs them

And how many of those people do you think there are?

I'm not saying it's no one.

Evander on
  • Options
    -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    edited July 2009

But the thing is, making is a PS3 firmware update isn't beneficiary to PSP owners. Just to people who own both a PSP and PS3. They're marketing the PSP as a PSP, not a PS3 accessory. So, making it a PSP addition makes sense, because they are trying to sell PSP's as PSP's, and maybe selling additional dualshocks would be nice. It's beneficial to PSP owners, hence why it's a PSP feature.

-Loki- on
  • Options
    Darth NathanDarth Nathan Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Huh, so according to that article the PSPgo supports what are essentially "save states" that basically allow you to quit the game at any point, turn the machine off, then come back later, turn it back on, and you're exactly where you were.

Fuck. Yes.

I thought I wanted one before, but now I REALLY want one. Especially for PS1 games, stuff like FF7 and Resident Evil, where there are specific save points, and even limited saves on the latter.

Darth Nathan on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Huh, so according to that article the PSPgo supports what are essentially "save states" that basically allow you to quit the game at any point, turn the machine off, then come back later, turn it back on, and you're exactly where you were.

Fuck. Yes.

I thought I wanted one before, but now I REALLY want one. Especially for PS1 games, stuff like FF7 and Resident Evil, where there are specific save points, and even limited saves on the latter.

Doesn't the old PSP also do that? As far as I know, mine does that.

Zoolander on
  • Options
    edited July 2009

Fuck. Yes.

Yeah. Assuming the UMD-digital conversion isn't god-awful, it's tipped my hand. i'm getting a PSP Go solely for that and wireless headphones.
    Zoolander wrote: »

Fuck. Yes.

No. You can put it in sleep mode. But the Go lets you go back to the XMB and do everything while the game sits in a save state on the XMB. You can basically pause it, go listen to music, then go back and resume. Currently you either quit the game or put it in sleep mode at that point.

-Loki- on
  • Options
    edited July 2009

But the thing is, making is a PS3 firmware update isn't beneficiary to PSP owners. Just to people who own both a PSP and PS3. They're marketing the PSP as a PSP, not a PS3 accessory. So, making it a PSP addition makes sense, because they are trying to sell PSP's as PSP's, and maybe selling additional dualshocks would be nice. It's beneficial to PSP owners, hence why it's a PSP feature.

Huh?

People who own both a PSP and PS3 are a seperate catagory from PSP owners now?

Sony has no trouble selling PSPs. What they have trouble doing is selling PSP software. Maybe they should focus on making better games, or adding extra functionality to existing PSPs, instead of just putting new PSPs out there.

Consoles shouldn't have yearly refreshes. The PSP Go is just another example of Sony thinking that they can be Apple.

Evander on
  • Options
    edited July 2009

Fuck. Yes.

It's a bit different. What the PSPgo does is a true save state, which is basically a RAM dump. What happens is that everything in the PSP's RAM is saved to the internal flash memory. This means you can return to the XMB, watch a movie, use the web browser, even turn the machine off. Then, you can go back to the game, and hit "Resume Game" and it loads the game, and puts all the stuff it saved earlier back into RAM, so it's like you never even left.

Darth Nathan on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Kyougu wrote: »
    So Capcom announced that they're bringing PS1 and PSP games to the PSN. Their list are:

PS1 Games

* Dino Crisis
    * Resident Evil 2

This is the most important part of this thread.

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    edited July 2009

Fuck. Yes.

It's a bit different. What the PSPgo does is a true save state, which is basically a RAM dump. What happens is that everything in the PSP's RAM is saved to the internal flash memory. This means you can return to the XMB, watch a movie, use the web browser, even turn the machine off. Then, you can go back to the game, and hit "Resume Game" and it loads the game, and puts all the stuff it saved earlier back into RAM, so it's like you never even left.
    Oooh that's actually pretty damn cool.

Zoolander on
  • Options
    edited July 2009

PS1 Games

* Dino Crisis
    * Resident Evil 2

This is the most important part of this thread.

Actually, I'm inclined to agree. That's almost all the PS1 RE games now, isn't it? Did Code Veronica have a PS1 release?

Darth Nathan on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Huh?

Sony has no trouble selling PSPs. What they have trouble doing is selling PSP software. Maybe they should focus on making better games, or adding extra functionality to existing PSPs, instead of just putting new PSPs out there.

Consoles shouldn't have yearly refreshes. The PSP Go is just another example of Sony thinking that they can be Apple.

Until every PS3 owner owns a PSP, yes, they are a separate category. I personally know 3 people with PSP's and no PS3. I knew 4, but he eventually got a PS3. What if those 3 people wanted to play their PSP on their TV with a Dualshock? Screwed, unless they paid $700 for a PS3. With it as a Go feature? If they traded up to a Go, they'd just need a DS3, $100. Quite a lot less to use the feature thats intended for use on the system they have.

-Loki- on
  • Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Did Code Veronica have a PS1 release?

Fuck no, the PS1 would stagger and die trying to handle that.

I can't wait till Dino Crisis 2 though! Though I'm a staunch supporter and defender of DC1.

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    slash000slash000 Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Heh. There's nothing special about the PSP Go hardware that allows for "save states" like that. There's no reason Sony could not also provide this kind of functionality on the older PSP's.

Other than trying to incentivize people to buy PSP Gos when they could easily provide this kind of functionality to the older systems through firmware.

slash000 on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    slash000 wrote: »
    Heh. There's nothing special about the PSP Go hardware that allows for "save states" like that. There's no reason Sony could not also provide this kind of functionality on the older PSP's.

Other than trying to incentivize people to buy PSP Gos when they could easily provide this kind of functionality to the older systems through firmware.
    Well the old PSPs don't have any internal flash memory, so it would be a bit messier to support, although it could be done. I would assume since it is a RAM dump that the PSP Go reserves a certain amount of memory in the internal flash to support the feature, whic can't be accessed by anything else.

It could reserve memory like that on a memory stick also, maybe, but no guarantees that the user won't pull out the memory stick at some point, or delete the space using a PC, or format the memory stick, and cause a lot of messiness from Sony's perspective.

Zoolander on
  • Options
    edited July 2009

I know, but their reasoning would probably be something along the lines of the fact that there's a guaranteed and constant amount of storage in every PSPgo, compared to varying flash cards in older models.

But otherwise you're right, save states are not a difficult technology to implement, just one that has been oddly missing from handhelds, where it really would work well.

Darth Nathan on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    edited July 2009

Well the old PSPs don't have any internal flash memory, so it would be a bit messier to support, although it could be done.

Well, I meant saving to the memory stick.

slash000 on
  • Options
    edited July 2009

Well, the reasoning I can think of is they can rely on there being a certain amount of space alotted to it since it has internal memory. Have a certain amount allocated to save states. In current PSP's, there's no fixed amount of space. The memory is all removable, so they can't count on the required space being there. Of course, they could just make it say something like 'all unsaved progress will be lost due to insufficient space', and while that would be irritating if you thought you did and were presented with that screen, it makes it a nice reason for them to call it a PSPGo feature to drive sales.

-Loki- on
  • Options
    LunkerLunker Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Vegan wrote: »
    Lunker wrote: »
    To be fair, though, the much more appropriate comparison is the iPod Touch

Sigh. I'm so tired of hearing that.

One is a videogame device with simple music functionality. The other is a music device with simple game functionality. They are not alternatives to each other.

Evander had it right; I didn't necessarily mean that the two devices were directly comparable, but that's clearly the market Sony's trying to tap into with the PSP Go. Someone had posted a crazy expensive unlocked iPhone, but it makes more sense to compare the Go with the iPod Touch; no cell phone options, no camera.

But actually, I'd contest the iPhone platform's game functionality as "simple." Have you seen iPhone games lately? It's pretty crazy what's cropped up on the platform in the past year or so.

Firemint's Real Racing
    ngmoco's Rolando 2

Lunker on
    Tweet my Face: @heyitslunker | Save money at CheapAssGamer (not an affiliate link)
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    It's not like the PSP has so much memory that creating a save state would fill up gigs and gigs of data.

What is it? 8 megs of main memory, 4 megs of video memory total, and 2 megs of media related memory?

Even a 2 gig memory stick could hold well over a hundred save states easily. Even the most avid PSP gamer could probably fit a RAM dump of every single game in his collection into 1 gig of storage.

If this is even designed to hold multiple save states at the same time..

slash000 on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    It's not like the PSP has so much memory that creating a save state would fill up gigs and gigs of data.

What is it? 8 megs of main memory, 4 megs of video memory total, and 2 megs of media related memory?

Even a 2 gig memory stick could hold well over a hundred save states easily.

Yeah, but you don't even need a memory card in to play a game. You just cant save. Removable memory technically makes the feature unreliable.

edit - unreliable probably isn't the best choice of words. But with the memory being completely removable, the feature isn't usable 100% of the time, and less usable as a marketing point.

-Loki- on
  • Options
    edited July 2009

Yes, but the fact that it's not always guaranteed to be there makes it difficult to implement and perhapss more importantly, support in a final product. There are so many ways the user can fuck that feature up, by removing the memory stick, by formatting the memory stick, by switching memory sticks, etc. etc.

No company would ever support a feature that messy. Maybe if Sony put a warning saying 'this is a BETA feature, we won't support it, so don't call us if something doesn't work', then maybe.

edit: beated

Zoolander on
  • Options
    edited July 2009

Yeah, but you don't even need a memory card in to play a game. You just cant save. Removable memory technically makes the feature unreliable.

Fair enough, I'll agree to that.

Although imagining people with PSPs that play it without a memory stick, and thus not saving -at all- is hard to imagine.

And dumping the PSP memory hardly takes any space at all. The average PSP owner could probably fit his entire collection of games' worth of ram dumps into 1 gig, let alone 2 or more.

slash000 on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    And dumping the PSP memory hardly takes any space at all. The average PSP owner could probably fit his entire collection of games' worth of ram dumps into 1 gig, let alone 2 or more.
    I don't think anybody has or will disagree with you on that. That was never the problem.

Zoolander on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    I don't think anybody has or will disagree with you on that. That was never the problem.

My point was more directed towards the possibility that if someone actually plays the PSP regularly, at least enough to care about saving games at all (let alone save stating), then they're likely to have a memory stick of some sort; and even the very cheap 1 and 2 gig cards these days could easily hold an entire collection's worth of save states. In other words, the fact that saving state to memory sticks rather than internal permanent memory is largely moot.

I will agree that such a thing would likely not be implemented on the grounds that it would be too 'messy' to implement, even though I can personally perceive of ways that I don't think would be messy at all. Nevertheless, most companies are better off implementing features that work 100% well at 100% of the time when they can, and avoid scenarios that could cause even the most remote chance of confusion.

slash000 on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    I will agree that such a thing would likely not be implemented on the grounds that it would be too 'messy' to implement, even though I can personally perceive of ways that I don't think would be messy at all. Nevertheless, most companies are better off implementing features that work 100% well at 100% of the time when they can, and avoid scenarios that could cause even the most remote chance of confusion.
    Yeah, that's precisely the problem. It would be crazy to do on the part of Sony, it would cost them so much wasted money on support calls and such.

Zoolander on
  • Options
    SeruleSerule Registered User regular
    edited July 2009

PS1 Games

* Dino Crisis
    * Resident Evil 2

PSP Games

* Power Stone Collection
    * Darkstalkers

It's a good start.

Darkstalkers is one of the reasons I bought my PSP. Even though I already own it on UMD I will happily rebuy it so I can always have it on my memory stick. (Plus reduced load times yay)

Serule on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Huh?

Until every PS3 owner owns a PSP, yes, they are a separate category. I personally know 3 people with PSP's and no PS3. I knew 4, but he eventually got a PS3. What if those 3 people wanted to play their PSP on their TV with a Dualshock? Screwed, unless they paid $700 for a PS3. With it as a Go feature? If they traded up to a Go, they'd just need a DS3, $100. Quite a lot less to use the feature thats intended for use on the system they have.

No, they aren't seperate catagories. One is just a subset of the other.

Evander on
  • Options
    edited July 2009

Yes, but the fact that it's not always guaranteed to be there makes it difficult to implement and perhapss more importantly, support in a final product. There are so many ways the user can fuck that feature up, by removing the memory stick, by formatting the memory stick, by switching memory sticks, etc. etc.

No company would ever support a feature that messy. Maybe if Sony put a warning saying 'this is a BETA feature, we won't support it, so don't call us if something doesn't work', then maybe.

Do users do those things?

I mean, that's kind of like arguing that users might try to switch batteries during gameplay, or complain if they try to turn the device on without a battery in it, or with zero charge.

Evander on
  • Options
    DracilDracil Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Vegan wrote: »
    To be fair, though, the much more appropriate comparison is the iPod Touch

Sigh. I'm so tired of hearing that.

One is a videogame device with simple music functionality. The other is a music device with simple game functionality. They are not alternatives to each other.

Evander had it right; I didn't necessarily mean that the two devices were directly comparable, but that's clearly the market Sony's trying to tap into with the PSP Go. Someone had posted a crazy expensive unlocked iPhone, but it makes more sense to compare the Go with the iPod Touch; no cell phone options, no camera.

But actually, I'd contest the iPhone platform's game functionality as "simple." Have you seen iPhone games lately? It's pretty crazy what's cropped up on the platform in the past year or so.

Firemint's Real Racing
    ngmoco's Rolando 2

I think the thing that interests me the most about both of these is that they're $10. If Sony really thinks they can go digital only and keep game prices the same as the fully packaged UMD versions and take on Apple, they may be in for a surprise.

And that's not including all the FREE stuff.

Dracil on
    3DS: 2105-8644-6304
    Switch: US 1651-2551-4335 JP 6310-4664-2624
    MH3U Monster Cheat Sheet / MH3U Veggie Elder Ticket Guide
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Huh?

No, they aren't seperate catagories. One is just a subset of the other.

Cool, I'll tell my friends who own a PSP that they are PS3 owners as well. They can go buy PS3 games and play them.

Seriously though - I fail to see how. They are Sony consoles, yeah. They have some limited interaction with each other. But they are still separate consoles. If someone owns a PSP, it doesn't mean they will own a PS3. If someone owns a Nintendo DS, it doesn't mean they own a Wii. If Sony want to get the Go off the ground, tying key features to the most expensive console on the market isn't the way to go. They obviously know this, which is why they put in things like bluetooth support for using a Dualshock/Sixaxis independantly of the PS3 on the PSP. They want people to buy PSP Go!s, see that there's a feature that lets them use a Dualshock controller with it if they have it hooked to a TV, and go buy a Dualshock controller. Not say it's not worth it because they have to spend half a grand on another console to use the feature.

I'm not saying there aren't people who own both - hell, I'm one of them. But from a marketing point of view, you want people to be happy about a feature. If someone has a PS3, and wants to use a Dualshock with their shiny new PSP Go!, then there's one sitting there. If someone doesn't own a PS3 and wants to use a Dualshock 3, they're going to want to go buy a Dualshock 3 to use with it. Not a PS3.

-Loki- on
  • Options
    SkyEyeSkyEye Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Serule wrote: »

PS1 Games

* Dino Crisis
    * Resident Evil 2

PSP Games

* Power Stone Collection
    * Darkstalkers

It's a good start.

Darkstalkers is one of the reasons I bought my PSP. Even though I already own it on UMD I will happily rebuy it so I can always have it on my memory stick. (Plus reduced load times yay)

I can dig Megaman Powered Up if I can get it at a comparable price to the (now discounted) UMD version. That's important; if companies fail to match retail-discounted UMDs for the digital versions, the PSP Go will go down like that insert metaphor of something in freefall here.

I mean, that's kind of like arguing that users might try to switch batteries during gameplay, or complain if they try to turn the device on without a battery in it, or with zero charge.

Did you hear about that woman that complained about her Wii breaking after she tried inserting credit cards into the disc slot?

SkyEye on
    Steam: Autumn_Thunder - SC2: AutumnThundr.563 (NA) - Hearthstone: AutumnThundr.1383

• Options
    edited July 2009
    SkyEye wrote: »
    Did you hear about that woman that complained about her Wii breaking after she tried inserting credit cards into the disc slot?

And is anyone in here siding that Nintendo should have done things to prevent this?

Evander on
  • Options
    SkyEyeSkyEye Registered User regular
    edited July 2009

And is anyone in here siding that Nintendo should have done things to prevent this?

The point wasn't that Nintendo should've done something about it. The point was that putting in the save-data functionality would be more trouble that it's worth/

SkyEye on
    Steam: Autumn_Thunder - SC2: AutumnThundr.563 (NA) - Hearthstone: AutumnThundr.1383

• Options
    edited July 2009

The point wasn't that Nintendo should've done something about it. The point was that putting in the save-data functionality would be more trouble that it's worth/

which is why I asked if the claime "issues" are things that are actually likely to come up.

You mentioned something that one idiot woman did.

Does that mean that features on devices should be limited so that not even one single idiot user might get it wrong?

Evander on
  • Options
    maximumzeromaximumzero I...wait, what? New Orleans, LARegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Serule wrote: »

PS1 Games

* Dino Crisis
    * Resident Evil 2

PSP Games

* Power Stone Collection
    * Darkstalkers

It's a good start.

I can dig Megaman Powered Up if I can get it at a comparable price to the (now discounted) UMD version. That's important; if companies fail to match retail-discounted UMDs for the digital versions, the PSP Go will go down like that insert metaphor of something in freefall here.

I picked up Megaman Powered UP & Megaman X: Maverick Hunter for $9.99 a piece at Best Buy a few months ago.

I doubt they'll sell for $9.99, if Ultimate Ghosts 'n Goblins is any indicator.

maximumzero on
    FU7kFbw.png
    Switch: 6200-8149-0919 / Wii U: maximumzero / 3DS: 0860-3352-3335 / eBay Shop
  • Options
    JohnHamJohnHam Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I don't like being denied features due to the stupidest of the population.

JohnHam on
    signature.png

• Options
    edited July 2009
    JohnHam wrote: »
    I don't like being denied features due to the stupidest of the population.

And I sincerely doubt that we are.

Either it isn't posible with the older models, or they are holding it back specifically to encourage upgrades to the Go!

Either way, I can live without it.

Evander on