Club PA 2.0 has arrived! If you'd like to access some extra PA content and help support the forums, check it out at patreon.com/ClubPA
The image size limit has been raised to 1mb! Anything larger than that should be linked to. This is a HARD limit, please do not abuse it.
Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!

Starcraft 2: No Lan Support

145791046

Posts

  • Metal Gear Solid 2 DemoMetal Gear Solid 2 Demo Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Rohan wrote: »
    I don't want to have to connect to the 'net in order to play a game with my flat-mate.

    Screw them.

    Read the thread

    Metal Gear Solid 2 Demo on
    SteamID- Enders || SC2 ID - BurningCrome.721 || Blogging - Laputan Machine
    1385396-1.png
    Orikae! |RS| : why is everyone yelling 'enders is dead go'
    When I say pop it that means pop it
    heavy.gif
  • GoombaGoomba __BANNED USERS
    edited June 2009
    Rohan wrote: »
    I don't want to have to connect to the 'net in order to play a game with my flat-mate.

    Screw them.

    Read the thread
    Not everyone is a giant loser. Also maybe he meant Battle.net by 'net. Eh, eh?

    Goomba on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Frem wrote: »
    Axen wrote: »
    jothki wrote: »
    As far as the splitting thing goes, they had to do something to make up for the fact that you can now register your games online and redownload them instead of rebuying them over and over every time you decide you want to get back into them but can't find the disks any more.

    Hah, are they actually doing this? I can't count how many times I rebought Warcraft II, Starcraft, Diablo, and Diablo 2. I swear those Blizzard games are designed to "teleport" back to home base so they can be resold.

    Welcome to six months ago.

    Well sorry, I only have a passing interest in most Blizzard games and certainly do not play on battle.net.

    Axen on
  • Metal Gear Solid 2 DemoMetal Gear Solid 2 Demo Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Goomba wrote: »
    Rohan wrote: »
    I don't want to have to connect to the 'net in order to play a game with my flat-mate.

    Screw them.

    Read the thread
    Not everyone is a giant loser. Also maybe he meant Battle.net by 'net. Eh, eh?

    I too cannot read the thread past the second page

    Metal Gear Solid 2 Demo on
    SteamID- Enders || SC2 ID - BurningCrome.721 || Blogging - Laputan Machine
    1385396-1.png
    Orikae! |RS| : why is everyone yelling 'enders is dead go'
    When I say pop it that means pop it
    heavy.gif
  • FremFrem Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Axen wrote: »
    Frem wrote: »
    Axen wrote: »
    jothki wrote: »
    As far as the splitting thing goes, they had to do something to make up for the fact that you can now register your games online and redownload them instead of rebuying them over and over every time you decide you want to get back into them but can't find the disks any more.

    Hah, are they actually doing this? I can't count how many times I rebought Warcraft II, Starcraft, Diablo, and Diablo 2. I swear those Blizzard games are designed to "teleport" back to home base so they can be resold.

    Welcome to six months ago.

    Well sorry, I only have a passing interest in most Blizzard games and certainly do not play on battle.net.

    Your sudden reversal of enthusiasm confounds me. :?

    Frem on
  • LemmingLemming Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Axen wrote: »
    Frem wrote: »
    Axen wrote: »
    jothki wrote: »
    As far as the splitting thing goes, they had to do something to make up for the fact that you can now register your games online and redownload them instead of rebuying them over and over every time you decide you want to get back into them but can't find the disks any more.

    Hah, are they actually doing this? I can't count how many times I rebought Warcraft II, Starcraft, Diablo, and Diablo 2. I swear those Blizzard games are designed to "teleport" back to home base so they can be resold.

    Welcome to six months ago.

    Well sorry, I only have a passing interest in most Blizzard games and certainly do not play on battle.net.

    You don't have to your battle.net account is just the same thing as your Blizzard store account now so you can make an account, tie your cd keys to it, then download any game you have registered from battle.net without needing the original cd.

    Lemming on
  • LemmingLemming Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Goomba why didn't you play soldat with me when I made the thread last time, is it because I'm not pretty enough :(

    Lemming on
  • AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Frem wrote: »
    Axen wrote: »
    Frem wrote: »
    Axen wrote: »
    jothki wrote: »
    As far as the splitting thing goes, they had to do something to make up for the fact that you can now register your games online and redownload them instead of rebuying them over and over every time you decide you want to get back into them but can't find the disks any more.

    Hah, are they actually doing this? I can't count how many times I rebought Warcraft II, Starcraft, Diablo, and Diablo 2. I swear those Blizzard games are designed to "teleport" back to home base so they can be resold.

    Welcome to six months ago.

    Well sorry, I only have a passing interest in most Blizzard games and certainly do not play on battle.net.

    Your sudden reversal of enthusiasm confounds me. :?

    How so? Starcraft itself has been out for ten or eleven years. Thats long enough for me to play the game, lose interest, lose disc, then get the game again years later.

    Axen on
  • subediisubedii Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Goomba wrote: »
    subedii wrote: »
    Goomba wrote: »
    Company of Heroes has a few campaigns and I remember only having to buy one game, not four. Just sayin'.

    So where did Opposing Fronts and Tales of Valor disappear to then?

    Yes, and SC1 had 3 separate campaigns, and instead, SC2 is going to have one large one the same size as the previous three, with a completely reworked campaign dynamic. Dawn of War 2 also had just one campaign, but it was a fairly in-depth campaign with re-worked RPG mechanics, and I never had issue with that either. IIRC even you liked it, although I might be wrong on that one.
    Also, it's funny that you said that hyperbole didn't add anything to the discussion and went on about that for longer than the other two parts combined.

    Meh, I was trying to say what I was thinking. Would you care to give me something more than just another sarky comment, and instead tell me directly what the problem is? Look, if I'm being uncivil or anything, then fine, let me know.
    Uh, I didn't pay fifty for Opposing Fronts or Tales of Valor. If you did, you got ripped off. Sorry to hear that.

    And I was just saying that I thought it was funny. I didn't notice that you were in super defensive mode.

    I paid £15 for the set of CoH and OF. So no, I didn't. The thing is, CoH ALSO only came with one campaign, the point which I was making, much like the point about Dawn of War 2, both of which you seem to have sidestepped for yet another sarky dig. Which is kind of the problem.

    EDIT: I can't say whether later iterations of SC2 will be worth whatever they're charging. But that has yet to be seen.

    subedii on
  • RohanRohan Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    FyreWulff wrote: »
    Nobody cares about no LAN support for L4D PC?

    You are so wrong.

    Rohan on
    ...and I thought of how all those people died, and what a good death that is. That nobody can blame you for it, because everyone else died along with you, and it is the fault of none, save those who did the killing.

    Nothing's forgotten, nothing is ever forgotten
  • GoombaGoomba __BANNED USERS
    edited June 2009
    Lemming wrote: »
    Goomba why didn't you play soldat with me when I made the thread last time, is it because I'm not pretty enough :(
    I told you that it was because I didn't see it. :(

    Also, subedii, what I am trying to get across is that these could easily be expansions.

    Goomba on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • KazhiimKazhiim __BANNED USERS regular
    edited June 2009
    I tell you what couldn't easily be an expansion:

    additions to goomba's massive girth, as his love handles already bridge the distance between computer chair arms

    Kazhiim on
    lost_sig2.png
  • BakerIsBoredBakerIsBored Registered User
    edited June 2009
    This just in, Activision/Blizzard to release LAN patch for SC2 as DLC. Only $14.99!!!

    They figure, well, if we can make tons of extra money by selling each Race separately, why not release all past features separately. Oh, Replay feature will also available as DLC, only $4.99.

    Of course nothing I just said is true, but not including LAN? Very weak sauce.

    BakerIsBored on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • SlicerSlicer Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    This just in, Activision/Blizzard to release LAN patch for SC2 as DLC. Only $14.99!!!

    They figure, well, if we can make tons of extra money by selling each Race separately, why not release all past features separately. Oh, Replay feature will also available as DLC, only $4.99.

    Of course nothing I just said is true, but not including LAN? Very weak sauce.

    Out of curiosity have you read the thread past the first post?

    Slicer on
  • KazhiimKazhiim __BANNED USERS regular
    edited June 2009
    I do honestly believe that Blizzard will produce a special edition for Korea with features dedicated towards their bizarre starcraft subculture

    an easy method to broadcast matches, for one

    Kazhiim on
    lost_sig2.png
  • subediisubedii Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Goomba wrote: »

    Also, subedii, what I am trying to get across is that these could easily be expansions.

    What I'm trying to get across is that they might be expansions, they might be priced that way, or they might be priced as full products and, crazily, actually worth the asking price because the content is of the size and quality I'd expect from a full sized release.

    Right now: We. Do. Not. Know. Simply dismissing it as a pure money grab is stupid, and as I've stated before, I'm willing to wait and see because I feel I've gotten my value out of every other game of theirs that I've played to date.

    EDIT: And to hold off yet another snide remark, yes I know that Blizzard's releases haven't been that frequent or recent outside of WoW. But this is my experience so far, so that's what I'm happy to go with whilst we wait until the actual release.

    subedii on
  • Metal Gear Solid 2 DemoMetal Gear Solid 2 Demo Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Kazhiim wrote: »
    I do honestly believe that Blizzard will produce a special edition for Korea with features dedicated towards their bizarre starcraft subculture

    an easy method to broadcast matches, for one

    Because SC competitive play doesn't exist outside of Korea

    WCG? What?

    Metal Gear Solid 2 Demo on
    SteamID- Enders || SC2 ID - BurningCrome.721 || Blogging - Laputan Machine
    1385396-1.png
    Orikae! |RS| : why is everyone yelling 'enders is dead go'
    When I say pop it that means pop it
    heavy.gif
  • RekrulRekrul Registered User
    edited June 2009
    _J_ wrote: »
    Dr.Tongue wrote: »
    Not really surprising as they have said Diablo 3 would not have lan either. While I will miss lan i can see why they are doing it.

    And it is not a terrible problem given that people can simply buy a switch and hook everyone up to the internet...but having to be online to play multiplayer if everyone is in the same physical room...that seems like a terrible precident to set.

    Sadly, for Starcraft 2's case my best bet is they're doing this to cut down on the people pirating the game and just playing it over lan. (Granted, I'm sure people will find work around with private servers sooner or later)

    Also, is there a confirmation that LAN isn't supported for Diablo 3? I enjoyed playing custom mods back in the day. If it's true then I guess it forces people to play the original online like they're doing with Starcraft 2.

    Rekrul on
  • GoombaGoomba __BANNED USERS
    edited June 2009
    subedii wrote: »
    Goomba wrote: »

    Also, subedii, what I am trying to get across is that these could easily be expansions.

    What I'm trying to get across is that they might be expansions, they might be priced that way, or they might be priced as full products and, crazily, actually worth the asking price because the content is of the size and quality I'd expect from a full sized release.

    Right now: We. Do. Not. Know. Simply dismissing it as a pure money grab is stupid, and as I've stated before, I'm willing to wait and see because I feel I've gotten my value out of every other game of theirs that I've played to date.
    But if they cut the actual online game from the other two, they could just call them expansions. This is a really, really simple concept.

    Goomba on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • RandomEngyRandomEngy Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Taranis wrote: »
    So everyone really believes that there isn't a decompiler out there that can decompile an .exe into a high level language? I wish you'd told me that before I ran this app I already had on my computer that does just that.

    Really now. What program is that?

    RandomEngy on
    Profile -> Signature Settings -> Hide signatures always. Then you don't have to read this worthless text anymore.
  • AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Kazhiim wrote: »
    I do honestly believe that Blizzard will produce a special edition for Korea with features dedicated towards their bizarre starcraft subculture

    an easy method to broadcast matches, for one

    Because SC competitive play doesn't exist outside of Korea

    WCG? What?

    For the record I had to wiki what "WCG" even was.

    Axen on
  • BakerIsBoredBakerIsBored Registered User
    edited June 2009
    Slicer wrote: »
    This just in, Activision/Blizzard to release LAN patch for SC2 as DLC. Only $14.99!!!

    They figure, well, if we can make tons of extra money by selling each Race separately, why not release all past features separately. Oh, Replay feature will also available as DLC, only $4.99.

    Of course nothing I just said is true, but not including LAN? Very weak sauce.

    Out of curiosity have you read the thread past the first post?

    Did you think I was serious?

    Yes I've read over several pages of this thread. I attend a weekly SC LAN, where sometimes we don't have internet.

    BakerIsBored on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • subediisubedii Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Goomba wrote: »
    subedii wrote: »
    Goomba wrote: »

    Also, subedii, what I am trying to get across is that these could easily be expansions.

    What I'm trying to get across is that they might be expansions, they might be priced that way, or they might be priced as full products and, crazily, actually worth the asking price because the content is of the size and quality I'd expect from a full sized release.

    Right now: We. Do. Not. Know. Simply dismissing it as a pure money grab is stupid, and as I've stated before, I'm willing to wait and see because I feel I've gotten my value out of every other game of theirs that I've played to date.
    But if they cut the actual online game from the other two, they could just call them expansions. This is a really, really simple concept.

    Why should they? They updated the online play with Brood War, online is going to continue to evolve way past the initial release, and I wouldn't expect them to release new stuff for free the same way they didn't with BW.

    subedii on
  • Metal Gear Solid 2 DemoMetal Gear Solid 2 Demo Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Slicer wrote: »
    This just in, Activision/Blizzard to release LAN patch for SC2 as DLC. Only $14.99!!!

    They figure, well, if we can make tons of extra money by selling each Race separately, why not release all past features separately. Oh, Replay feature will also available as DLC, only $4.99.

    Of course nothing I just said is true, but not including LAN? Very weak sauce.

    Out of curiosity have you read the thread past the first post?

    Did you think I was serious?

    Yes I've read over several pages of this thread. I attend a weekly SC LAN, where sometimes we don't have internet.

    So...you didn't read the thread?
    For the record I had to wiki what "WCG" even was.

    Anyone who plays competitively for any of the major games knows what WCG is, it's kind of a big deal

    Metal Gear Solid 2 Demo on
    SteamID- Enders || SC2 ID - BurningCrome.721 || Blogging - Laputan Machine
    1385396-1.png
    Orikae! |RS| : why is everyone yelling 'enders is dead go'
    When I say pop it that means pop it
    heavy.gif
  • BladeXBladeX Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Axen wrote: »
    BladeX wrote: »
    Sollah wrote: »
    Given my lack of interest in the game and that the only reason I played/bought Starcraft was for LAN parties, I most likely just won't bother getting this.

    Also this thread was terrible to read.

    No you see, you're supposed to get into a huge irrational rage about it! I'll help you out:

    Instead of saying "I most likely just won't bother getting this." all calm and rational, you could say: "Starcraft 2? moar liek Gay...Craft..2...am I rite?"

    ..

    Okay I'm not that good at this rage thing and have failed you, I'm so sorry. :cry:

    Starcraft 2?! Moar liek MOARCASH 2!!11 M R rite?!

    I have a PhD. in Nerd Rageonomy and Nerd Rageology

    Thank you, I knew I should have gotten an expert as a guest speaker to begin with.

    BladeX on
  • MonstyMonsty Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    subedii wrote: »
    Goomba wrote: »
    Also, subedii, what I am trying to get across is that these could easily be expansions.
    What I'm trying to get across is that they might be expansions, they might be priced that way, or they might be priced as full products and, crazily, actually worth the asking price because the content is of the size and quality I'd expect from a full sized release.
    I can already tell you that they're not worth full-price to me since I don't give a shit about the single-player. This is Starcraft we're talking about, so I guarantee I'm not the only one who feels this way.

    With the original, they eventually decided to release an expansion because of balance concerns(in multi) and story additions(in single). This time around, they've come out the gate telling me there are three games and they keep ramming this fully-featured shtick down my throat which points to meaning fully-priced. Hell, they could decide to add expansions to these later if they wished for even more content which boils down to a required unit or two for multiplayer.

    I dunno. I'm just venting because I'm looking at around double the price this iteration and it sounds like I'm the bad guy for not liking that. Yes, I know we don't know the price... but come on. Full campaign with full storyline per full game! All signs point to money. I just want BNet, tarn sarnit!

    Monsty on
  • AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Slicer wrote: »
    This just in, Activision/Blizzard to release LAN patch for SC2 as DLC. Only $14.99!!!

    They figure, well, if we can make tons of extra money by selling each Race separately, why not release all past features separately. Oh, Replay feature will also available as DLC, only $4.99.

    Of course nothing I just said is true, but not including LAN? Very weak sauce.

    Out of curiosity have you read the thread past the first post?

    Did you think I was serious?

    Yes I've read over several pages of this thread. I attend a weekly SC LAN, where sometimes we don't have internet.

    So...you didn't read the thread?
    For the record I had to wiki what "WCG" even was.

    Anyone who plays competitively for any of the major games knows what WCG is, it's kind of a big deal

    First, BakerIsBored is bummed SC2 won't have LAN. It sucks, but what you going to do?

    Secondly, I consider myself a somewhat average gamer and I have never heard of it. Maybe they need better marketing?

    Axen on
  • subediisubedii Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Monsty wrote: »
    subedii wrote: »
    Goomba wrote: »
    Also, subedii, what I am trying to get across is that these could easily be expansions.
    What I'm trying to get across is that they might be expansions, they might be priced that way, or they might be priced as full products and, crazily, actually worth the asking price because the content is of the size and quality I'd expect from a full sized release.
    I can already tell you that they're not worth full-price to me since I don't give a shit about the single-player. This is Starcraft we're talking about, so I guarantee I'm not the only one who feels this way.[/quote

    With the original, they eventually decided to release an expansion because of balance concerns(in multi) and story additions(in single). This time around, they've come out the gate telling me there are three games and they keep ramming this fully-featured shtick down my throat which points to meaning fully-priced. Hell, they could decide to add expansions to these later if they wished for even more content which boils down to a required unit or two for multiplayer.

    The thing is, YOU aren't their sole market, just like you weren't with Brood War. I mean come on, the vast majority of people (at least in the US and UK) are never even going to take their copies online. Everyone seems to be complaining about how unjust it is that they're giving you stuff that you don't want and then making you pay for it. If you feel that strongly about not wanting to buy the SP with the MP, as has been the case with every Blizzard RTS to date, then yes, I suppose it is a ripoff for you since you're paying for something that you didn't want. But that decision was taken long before even the one to release three titles instead of one. There was never going to be JUST a multiplayer expansion pack. I honestly can't remember the last RTS I've seen which got a paid addon pack with no singleplayer.
    I dunno. I'm just venting because I'm looking at around double the price this iteration and it sounds like I'm the bad guy for not liking that. Yes, I know we don't know the price... but come on. Full campaign with full storyline per full game! All signs point to money. I just want BNet, tarn sarnit!

    I don't recall when I, or anyone else made you out to be the bad guy for not wanting it? You're free to turn it down and say all that other content has no value to you, that's your prerogative. The point (well, one of the points) I've been trying to make is that just because you don't want the SP content doesn't mean it's valueless to most of the other people who're buying the product.

    subedii on
  • HitsuraptorHitsuraptor Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Starcraft 2 FAQ
    What is the StarCraft II Trilogy?

    The StarCraft II Trilogy consists of the base StarCraft II game and two subsequent expansion sets. StarCraft II is subtitled Wings of Liberty (working title) and will include a lengthy single-player campaign that focuses on the terrans and puts players in the role of Jim Raynor, one of the series' main heroes. The first expansion set, Heart of the Swarm (working title), will follow later and include a single-player campaign focusing on the zerg and Kerrigan, Queen of Blades. The second expansion set, Legacy of the Void (working title), will continue the story experience with a single-player campaign centered on the protoss.

    If I buy StarCraft II but don't buy any of the expansion sets, will I still be able to play online?

    Yes. This will work similarly to Warcraft III and the original StarCraft, which maintained separate online gaming lobbies and ladders for expansion set players and players with the base Warcraft III or StarCraft.

    Are these three separate games? How much will all of these games cost?

    The StarCraft II Trilogy will consist of the base StarCraft II game and two expansion sets. Pricing on these games hasn't been determined at this early stage; however, we've always charged an appropriate price for the content the player receives, and we will continue to release high-quality games that offer great value.


    Actually just go read the whole thing

    Hitsuraptor on
  • ChewyWafflesChewyWaffles Registered User
    edited June 2009
    If you don't read that as "Be prepared to lube up and bend over" then I don't know what to tell ya.

    ChewyWaffles on
    mwf2sig.jpg
  • BakerIsBoredBakerIsBored Registered User
    edited June 2009
    I blame Activision for all of this mess. :P How dare they corrupt Blizzard.

    So, I have some original StarCraft (1) action figures still in packaging. Any chance these things might go for some $$ if I sell them on southkoreaebay or something, around release of SC2? :)

    BakerIsBored on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • SlicerSlicer Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Blizzard has become such money grabbing sellouts. Expansions? We never saw this behavior with Warcraft II, Diablo, Starcraft, Warcraft III, or even WoW!

    What the hell is wrong with them?

    Slicer on
  • SithDrummerSithDrummer Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Tarranon wrote: »
    Tarranon wrote: »
    As an aside, what's with all the blizzard hate lately? IE All of their 'money grubbings and rawr we eat puppies'. They made an MMO 5 years ago, supported the shit out of it in terms of content for free, and now there are two expansions, both well received critically.

    So evil?
    Hahahaha, supporting an MMO "for free".

    Oh excuse me, I thought we were judging intent here with regards to their supposed greed. My bad.
    I don't understand how this could possibly be a response to what I said. Blizzard doesn't charge for WoW content updates because if they did, people would leave, and if they didn't have content updates at all, people would leave. Also to say nothing of the lunacy of your original sentiment, that content updates for a subscription-based game could ever somehow be free.
    subedii wrote: »
    Taranis wrote: »
    Also, a campaign for each race included in an RTS is the standard.
    So Dawn of War wasn't worth anything then? Dawn of War 2 was lacking a crucial feature? Because to me it just looks like they decided to expand on that SP campaign and make it something more than just 4 sides take on the same thing.
    I don't know about Taranis, but I felt that DoW was sorely lacking because of playing only a single race in the SP campaign, yes, and I doubt I'm the only one.

    SithDrummer on
    It's an easy game to hate
  • GoombaGoomba __BANNED USERS
    edited June 2009
    Slicer wrote: »
    This just in, Activision/Blizzard to release LAN patch for SC2 as DLC. Only $14.99!!!

    They figure, well, if we can make tons of extra money by selling each Race separately, why not release all past features separately. Oh, Replay feature will also available as DLC, only $4.99.

    Of course nothing I just said is true, but not including LAN? Very weak sauce.

    Out of curiosity have you read the thread past the first post?

    Did you think I was serious?

    Yes I've read over several pages of this thread. I attend a weekly SC LAN, where sometimes we don't have internet.

    So...you didn't read the thread?
    For the record I had to wiki what "WCG" even was.

    Anyone who plays competitively for any of the major games knows what WCG is, it's kind of a big deal
    If you are a part of this thing you know what this thing is how do you not know what this is, well-rounded person?

    Goomba on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • BakerIsBoredBakerIsBored Registered User
    edited June 2009
    Well personally, I'm still very happy with SC1. I still play daily and play on iCCup. Weekly LANs, and because of this, I bought me a shitty ass laptop that will only really play SC1. So I will wait for the reviews, I will wait to read what you people say who buy it at launch. Most likely I will wait, probably long enough where they will sell a SC2 battle chest that includes all of the expansions. Even though SC1 is over 10yrs of age, I still have some friends that are just now getting into it. Which is adding even more life to the game for me.

    And if this "No Lan Support" is the new way of SC2, I really hope they fix the online. Because right now SC1 won't allow you and friends over LAN to join an online game without lagging the whole game to shit.

    BakerIsBored on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • TarranonTarranon Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Tarranon wrote: »
    Tarranon wrote: »
    As an aside, what's with all the blizzard hate lately? IE All of their 'money grubbings and rawr we eat puppies'. They made an MMO 5 years ago, supported the shit out of it in terms of content for free, and now there are two expansions, both well received critically.

    So evil?
    Hahahaha, supporting an MMO "for free".

    Oh excuse me, I thought we were judging intent here with regards to their supposed greed. My bad.
    I don't understand how this could possibly be a response to what I said. Blizzard doesn't charge for WoW content updates because if they did, people would leave, and if they didn't have content updates at all, people would leave. Also to say nothing of the lunacy of your original sentiment, that content updates for a subscription-based game could ever somehow be free.


    For starters, I thought we could assume that I knew that there was an ongoing subscription fee, and thus no content would ever, truly be free. I apologize for making that assumption. It's not a wise thing to do on the internet.

    The heart of the matter, as near well as I can tell, is whether or not blizzard is unnecessarily pumping their fans for cash. We all agree that they are a business and, at the end of the day, are out to make money. The question is, again, whether they're being a little 'evil' about it.

    And so, certain people here are all 'blizzard's recent moneygrubbing etc' and about a dozen other similar comments. They are implying that blizzard is being a little extreme in trying to separate you from your money. I'm not going to use words like unethical, but they're being painted in a negative, greedy light.

    To the best of my knowledge, Blizzard has pretty much all been about WoW these past five years, in terms of stuff they've released. I assume that that is what they are pointing to when they are talking about money grubbing activities; I'm guessing they're not still pissed about The Frozen Throne or Lords of Destruction. But, you know, blizzard fans. I could be wrong.

    So, the idea was that WoW was money grubbing. But, compared to other MMOs, WoW provided a lot more content, 'free', and for a longer time before they started releasing expansions, and what's more the expansions have all been, at least according to reviewers(I don't play the game so I can't tell you personally) worthwhile and expansive. They ostensibly could have milked the franchise and released shit, but this apparently hasn't been the case.

    Tarranon on
    You could be anywhere
    On the black screen
  • Darth NathanDarth Nathan Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    The following is coming from someone who does not like Starcraft at all, so you may want to take it with a grain of salt.

    It seems to me that Blizzard is onto something with this campaign split, but they're doing it the wrong way. I think at this point it's fairly obvious that the 3 games will be full priced, as they all have the content of a full release and Blizzard have never been ones to undercharge. This disadvantages people who want to play the multiplayer, because they need to buy all the full priced releases to have all the units. I think what needs to happen is a multi/single player split.

    Picture this; Starcraft 2 is released in six different forms. The three campaign games should be available in both a full and multiplayer only variant. The multiplayer variants would naturally be much cheaper than the full release. This way you either pay 50 bucks per game if you want multi and single player, or say 20 bucks per game if you want only the multiplayer versions. Have the multiplayer only versions be digitally distributed to avoid confusion on store shelves. Everyone wins.

    Also, RE: no lan play, yeah that's just stupid. It's clear from their wording that what they want to do is have all LAN sessions authenticated through bnet, and remove straight UDP networking.

    Darth Nathan on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Never do what your enemy expects you to do! Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I disagree with the multiplayer/singleplayer variant releases.

    What would be better would just have the new multiplayer stuff available for like $9.99 per expansion, as DLC through Battle.net, so if you really want nothing to do with the singleplayer (which makes up the bulk of the later titles) then you can still get the new content without paying and arm and a leg or shelling out for a box with minimal content.

    Undead Scottsman on
  • The Reverend Dr GalactusThe Reverend Dr Galactus Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Or how about having sixteen different SKUs:

    Terran Multiplayer Basic
    Terran Multiplayer Advanced with LAN support
    Terran Single Player Campaign
    Terran Battle Chest
    Protoss Multiplayer Basic
    Protoss Multiplayer Advanced with LAN support
    Protoss Single Player Campaign
    Protoss Battle Chest
    Zerg Multiplayer Basic
    Zerg Multiplayer Advanced with LAN support
    Zerg Single Player Campaign
    Zerg Battle Chest
    Terran and Protoss Battle Chest
    Terran and Zerg Battle Chest
    Protoss and Zerg Battle Chest
    Ultimate Starcraft II Master Battle Chest

    I think everything would be much simpler and easier this way.

    The Reverend Dr Galactus on
    valar-moreshellus.png
    PSN:RevDrGalactus/NN:RevDrGalactus/Steam
  • HenroidHenroid Internet Pariah Going nowhere, but fast.Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Or how about having sixteen different SKUs:

    Terran Multiplayer Basic
    Terran Multiplayer Advanced with LAN support
    Terran Single Player Campaign
    Terran Battle Chest
    Protoss Multiplayer Basic
    Protoss Multiplayer Advanced with LAN support
    Protoss Single Player Campaign
    Protoss Battle Chest
    Zerg Multiplayer Basic
    Zerg Multiplayer Advanced with LAN support
    Zerg Single Player Campaign
    Zerg Battle Chest
    Terran and Protoss Battle Chest
    Terran and Zerg Battle Chest
    Protoss and Zerg Battle Chest
    Ultimate Starcraft II Master Battle Chest

    I think everything would be much simpler and easier this way.

    Your hyperbole is retarded even as a joke.

    Henroid on
    Don't accept centrism. Don't let them bully you.
    American politics isn't 4D chess, it's just if you give a shit about other people or not.
145791046
Sign In or Register to comment.