Club PA 2.0 has arrived! If you'd like to access some extra PA content and help support the forums, check it out at patreon.com/ClubPA
The image size limit has been raised to 1mb! Anything larger than that should be linked to. This is a HARD limit, please do not abuse it.
Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!

Starcraft 2: No Lan Support

1246746

Posts

  • MoioinkMoioink Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Raslin wrote: »
    AkimboEG wrote: »
    Raslin wrote: »
    AkimboEG wrote: »
    rant

    Im curious, how exactly did they split one game into three?

    Were you really expecting 90+ singleplayer missions, with each race having different, dynamic game mechanics for their campaign map, and full cinematics for all of this?

    Because thats just silly

    No, no I wasn't. And I still don't.
    I don't want a 90 missions game, just like I don't need an incredible CGI sequence after each and every mission.

    Why do Blizzard games have to be so over the top these days? What's wrong with a normal scope game and a few high quality cinematics. Throw in a couple of expansion packs later on, and you're good to go.

    I want a good movie, and they're giving me five seasons of Lost. It might be just as good, but it's also about ten times more tedious.

    Like I said, I mostly play these games for the plot, and I can't see myself bothering to follow it if they're going to be stretching it out over three separate games, possibly spanning several years.

    I'm not blaming Blizzard for anything. I completely understand the direction they're going with this, but it's just not something I can connect to. It might be that I'm growing older, and it's probably because I only play about an hour a day now, but I guess it's just not for me.

    So, you've been annoyed for 12 years then? Because the end of Brood Wars was a pretty big cliffhanger.

    I can feel the burn from here, obviously not a real fan and just complaining for the sake of it. BW ended with Kerrigan at large and all of a sudden the Xel'Naga get revealed as the originators of the Protoss and Naga with little else revealed about them before the credits rolled yet he is worried about each race's game not having its own self contained plot in SC2? :?

    Moioink on
  • RaslinRaslin Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Axen wrote: »
    RandomEngy wrote: »
    RandomEngy wrote: »
    There isn't even a name for what you're proposing because it basically never happens.

    It does, it just takes a lot of time and effort. Though unless HAL 9000 is doing it, I would be absolutely amazed if someone did it within a week.

    EDIT: or if you had inside help

    Do you have an example of someone decompiling a major game, editing the assembly, adding a significant feature and recompiling it? I can't think of anything.

    Oh! Oh! I do!

    Though for the life of me I can't remember the name of it. I remember they did a feature on it on X-play or whatever it was called back in the day. The game was a third-person hack n' slash game. The modders basically added multiplayer from the ground up and I think the Devs were so impressed they later on added it to the Gold edition. Though I might be mistaken about that last part.

    Are you sure they didn't have access to the source code? Some games give it out for modders anyways.

    Raslin on
    I cant url good so add me on steam anyways steamcommunity.com/id/Raslin

    3ds friend code: 2981-6032-4118
  • AkimboEGAkimboEG Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Raslin wrote: »
    AkimboEG wrote: »
    Raslin wrote: »
    AkimboEG wrote: »
    rant

    Im curious, how exactly did they split one game into three?

    Were you really expecting 90+ singleplayer missions, with each race having different, dynamic game mechanics for their campaign map, and full cinematics for all of this?

    Because thats just silly

    No, no I wasn't. And I still don't.
    I don't want a 90 missions game, just like I don't need an incredible CGI sequence after each and every mission.

    Why do Blizzard games have to be so over the top these days? What's wrong with a normal scope game and a few high quality cinematics. Throw in a couple of expansion packs later on, and you're good to go.

    I want a good movie, and they're giving me five seasons of Lost. It might be just as good, but it's also about ten times more tedious.

    Like I said, I mostly play these games for the plot, and I can't see myself bothering to follow it if they're going to be stretching it out over three separate games, possibly spanning several years.

    I'm not blaming Blizzard for anything. I completely understand the direction they're going with this, but it's just not something I can connect to. It might be that I'm growing older, and it's probably because I only play about an hour a day now, but I guess it's just not for me.

    So, you've been annoyed for 12 years then? Because the end of Brood Wars was a pretty big cliffhanger.

    I'm not annoyed, I'm just slightly disappointed.
    And yes, it really was a major cliffhanger. Which is probably why I still want to see the the storyline continue.

    I guess it's not that big of a loss, anyway.
    Men kill Protoss kill Zergs kill Men kill Zerg kill Protoss kill Men.
    Xel'naga Xel'naga lol.
    Kerrigan is badass.
    Fin.

    AkimboEG on
    steam_sig.png
    Give me a kiss to build a dream on; And my imagination will thrive upon that kiss; Sweetheart, I ask no more than this; A kiss to build a dream on
  • Darkchampion3dDarkchampion3d Registered User
    edited June 2009
    RandomEngy wrote: »
    RandomEngy wrote: »
    There isn't even a name for what you're proposing because it basically never happens.

    It does, it just takes a lot of time and effort. Though unless HAL 9000 is doing it, I would be absolutely amazed if someone did it within a week.

    EDIT: or if you had inside help

    Do you have an example of someone decompiling a major game, editing the assembly, adding a significant feature and recompiling it? I can't think of anything.

    I can't think of an instance of someone doing it for a pc game either. Usually people add stuff with the help of modding tools or released source. Doing it in assembly would be hell.

    I just meant such a thing has been done for other programs though, usually to figure out how it works for the purpose of interoperability. Nothing nearly as complex as this that I'm aware of.

    Darkchampion3d on
    Our country is now taking so steady a course as to show by what road it will pass to destruction, to wit: by consolidation of power first, and then corruption, its necessary consequence --Thomas Jefferson
  • AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Raslin wrote: »
    Axen wrote: »
    RandomEngy wrote: »
    RandomEngy wrote: »
    There isn't even a name for what you're proposing because it basically never happens.

    It does, it just takes a lot of time and effort. Though unless HAL 9000 is doing it, I would be absolutely amazed if someone did it within a week.

    EDIT: or if you had inside help

    Do you have an example of someone decompiling a major game, editing the assembly, adding a significant feature and recompiling it? I can't think of anything.

    Oh! Oh! I do!

    Though for the life of me I can't remember the name of it. I remember they did a feature on it on X-play or whatever it was called back in the day. The game was a third-person hack n' slash game. The modders basically added multiplayer from the ground up and I think the Devs were so impressed they later on added it to the Gold edition. Though I might be mistaken about that last part.

    Are you sure they didn't have access to the source code? Some games give it out for modders anyways.

    I am not sure, I can't even remember the name of the game. I think it started with S.

    Not sure they would give the source code, I mean the game was still "new" at the time. Maybe a couple months old to a year or so old, but giving out source code seems like something they wouldn't do until the game was several years old.

    Axen on
  • RBachRBach Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Pancake wrote: »
    I don't really know anything about programming except that I made a page in HTML once and I was pretty proud of myself and all the hard work that entailed, but LAN doesn't seem all that complicated.

    Blizzard already made multiplayer so it shouldn't be very hard for people to add more multiplayer. It's not like a LAN is as complicated as the internet.

    So you're basing your judgment on the ease of adding in LAN functionality on a web page you made once? That's insane. The two aren't even remotely comparable. HTML isn't even really programming. :P

    I guarantee you the only way people manage to "mod" in LAN functionality if Blizzard doesn't do it themselves is to somehow emulate the Battle.net server(s) locally and trick the game into connecting to them. Such a thing isn't unprecedented, but it'll be (much?) longer than a week or two before something like it appears.

    RBach on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • MorkathMorkath Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    RandomEngy wrote: »
    RandomEngy wrote: »
    There isn't even a name for what you're proposing because it basically never happens.

    It does, it just takes a lot of time and effort. Though unless HAL 9000 is doing it, I would be absolutely amazed if someone did it within a week.

    EDIT: or if you had inside help

    Do you have an example of someone decompiling a major game, editing the assembly, adding a significant feature and recompiling it? I can't think of anything.

    I can't remember the specifics so I could be wrong, but didn't a mod team add MP to GTA3/SA?

    rbach, he is using sarcasm.

    Morkath on
    hobbessig.png
  • TaranisTaranis Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    So everyone really believes that there isn't a decompiler out there that can decompile an .exe into a high level language? I wish you'd told me that before I ran this app I already had on my computer that does just that.

    Taranis on
    / steam / [blizzard] taranis#1834 /
    EH28YFo.jpg
  • TL DRTL DR Not at all confident in his reflexive opinions of thingsRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    The important thing to watch is whether this new way of doing things will inconvenience the legitimate consumer. Just like the hubbub with Mass Effect (iirc), ham handed measures serve only to encourage filesharing and make the people who weren't going to pay for the game anyway feel justified in their actions because "Lol dick corporations man".

    How different is adding LAN to SC2 from allowing WoW to run on a private server?

    TL DR on
  • FremFrem Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Can you say, "BnetD 2.0"? While StarCraft is pirated like all getout in South Korea (and everywhere else), I can't see this actually doing anything at all to piracy.

    Though I assume this means that Spawn copies of the game are officially Not Happening. :sad:

    Frem on
  • FyreWulffFyreWulff Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited June 2009
    Taranis wrote: »
    So everyone really believes that there isn't a decompiler out there that can decompile an .exe into a high level language? I wish you'd told me that before I ran this app I already had on my computer that does just that.

    Uh huh, sure. This is why businesses just stay on their old programs, because they feel like it.

    FyreWulff on
  • RaslinRaslin Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Taranis wrote: »
    So everyone really believes that there isn't a decompiler out there that can decompile an .exe into a high level language? I wish you'd told me that before I ran this app I already had on my computer that does just that.

    Yes, because the entire source code of a game is in its .exe file. Its not like an .exe is simply a middleman between the program and the operating system(which can be more, granted, but isn't for major games).

    Raslin on
    I cant url good so add me on steam anyways steamcommunity.com/id/Raslin

    3ds friend code: 2981-6032-4118
  • LockedOnTargetLockedOnTarget Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    So basically, they're doing this to punish pirates. Even though this game is obviously going to sell a huge amount of copies despite piracy. Yippee.

    LockedOnTarget on
  • AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    So basically, they're doing this to punish pirates. Even though this game is obviously going to sell a huge amount of copies despite piracy. Yippee.

    They finally figured out that LAN parties are really just a large Pirate gathering, like the Tortuga of old.

    Axen on
  • KazhiimKazhiim __BANNED USERS regular
    edited June 2009
    Man now you guys reminded me that they're selling SC2 in three parts

    I am so angry. SO ANGRY. I think I might start making

    terrible metaphors

    Kazhiim on
    lost_sig2.png
  • LockedOnTargetLockedOnTarget Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Kazhiim wrote: »
    Man now you guys reminded me that they're selling SC2 in three parts

    I am so angry. SO ANGRY. I think I might start making

    terrible metaphors

    See, think of SC2 like a paycheck.

    Imagine only getting 1/3 of your money, and then having to wait a year for another 1/3, and another year for the last 1/3.

    Pretty soon you're getting evicted because you can't pay your rent, and your cable is cut off and FUCK YOU BLIZZARD!

    LockedOnTarget on
  • KazhiimKazhiim __BANNED USERS regular
    edited June 2009
    I was thinking something along the lines of three enormous cakes

    yes, they're really big cakes, but I only want one decent sized cake

    I'm not going to feel like eating the second and third cake after I've had the first, but maybe I'd like to try those flavors

    I want a neapolitan cake

    Kazhiim on
    lost_sig2.png
  • UberEvUberEv Registered User
    edited June 2009
    Kazhiim wrote: »
    Man now you guys reminded me that they're selling SC2 in three parts

    I am so angry. SO ANGRY. I think I might start making

    terrible metaphors

    See, think of SC2 like a paycheck.

    Imagine only getting 1/3 of your money, and then having to wait a year for another 1/3, and another year for the last 1/3.

    Pretty soon you're getting evicted because you can't pay your rent, and your cable is cut off and FUCK YOU BLIZZARD!

    Better yet, think of it like a large watermelon that's meant to sustain you for three years.

    Sometime this year you get a 1/3, then next year and so on. Pretty soon you realize you are going to go hungry and FUCK YOU BLIZZARD!

    UberEv on
  • Kris_xKKris_xK Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Guys its so simple, just reverse engineer Kali! (if you don't know what that is, you're 14 and need to gtfo)

    Seriously tho, it will be cracked quite readily. While opening up SC2's code is going to be quite the task, its "just" a matter of finding the right call for B.net and replacing it with a destination of their own. Spoof B.net protocols, make it think the lan network is the internet, and presto.

    It won't be easy, it won't be pretty, and it won't be quick. But it will be done.
    RBach wrote: »
    Pancake wrote: »
    I don't really know anything about programming except that I made a page in HTML once and I was pretty proud of myself and all the hard work that entailed, but LAN doesn't seem all that complicated.

    Blizzard already made multiplayer so it shouldn't be very hard for people to add more multiplayer. It's not like a LAN is as complicated as the internet.

    So you're basing your judgment on the ease of adding in LAN functionality on a web page you made once? That's insane. The two aren't even remotely comparable. HTML isn't even really programming. :P

    I guarantee you the only way people manage to "mod" in LAN functionality if Blizzard doesn't do it themselves is to somehow emulate the Battle.net server(s) locally and trick the game into connecting to them. Such a thing isn't unprecedented, but it'll be (much?) longer than a week or two before something like it appears.

    Hi! Welcome to the internet, were sarcasm is the national language.

    Also, you listened to Pancake. Never do that.

    Kris_xK on
    calvinhobbessleddingsig2.gif
  • MorkathMorkath Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Kazhiim wrote: »
    I was thinking something along the lines of three enormous cakes

    yes, they're really big cakes, but I only want one decent sized cake

    I'm not going to feel like eating the second and third cake after I've had the first, but maybe I'd like to try those flavors

    I want a neapolitan cake

    more like one normal size cake, and 2 slices of cake m i rite?

    Morkath on
    hobbessig.png
  • AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    UberEv wrote: »
    Kazhiim wrote: »
    Man now you guys reminded me that they're selling SC2 in three parts

    I am so angry. SO ANGRY. I think I might start making

    terrible metaphors

    See, think of SC2 like a paycheck.

    Imagine only getting 1/3 of your money, and then having to wait a year for another 1/3, and another year for the last 1/3.

    Pretty soon you're getting evicted because you can't pay your rent, and your cable is cut off and FUCK YOU BLIZZARD!

    Better yet, think of it like a large watermelon that's meant to sustain you for three years.

    Sometime this year you get a 1/3, then next year and so on. Pretty soon you realize you are going to go hungry and FUCK YOU BLIZZARD!


    Like a balloon. . . then something bad happens!

    Axen on
  • kdrudykdrudy Registered User
    edited June 2009
    So they've given me another reason to be less happy about SC2, well done Blizz, well done.

    kdrudy on
    tvsfrank.jpg
  • BladeXBladeX Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Morkath wrote: »
    RandomEngy wrote: »
    RandomEngy wrote: »
    There isn't even a name for what you're proposing because it basically never happens.

    It does, it just takes a lot of time and effort. Though unless HAL 9000 is doing it, I would be absolutely amazed if someone did it within a week.

    EDIT: or if you had inside help

    Do you have an example of someone decompiling a major game, editing the assembly, adding a significant feature and recompiling it? I can't think of anything.

    I can't remember the specifics so I could be wrong, but didn't a mod team add MP to GTA3/SA?

    rbach, he is using sarcasm.

    I wish I knew the details on HOW they did it. I do know the code for multiplayer was already there as the developers wanted to add multiplayer but abandoned the idea, leaving the code. I do not know how they accessed the code to re-enable/tweak the multiplayer though.

    BladeX on
  • SithDrummerSithDrummer Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Tarranon wrote: »
    As an aside, what's with all the blizzard hate lately? IE All of their 'money grubbings and rawr we eat puppies'. They made an MMO 5 years ago, supported the shit out of it in terms of content for free, and now there are two expansions, both well received critically.

    So evil?
    Hahahaha, supporting an MMO "for free".

    SithDrummer on
    It's an easy game to hate
  • RaslinRaslin Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    No, see, Starcraft 2 is like a shark. We all know sharks are fucking awesome, but apparently, this shark has shark brothers coming in the future, and they're all different. One has a fucking machine gun, another has laser beams coming from its head, and the third one is nuclear powered. Also, people with shark pets have to go to the public pool to swim with their shark-loving friends.

    Basically, fuck you blizzard, you shark haters.

    Raslin on
    I cant url good so add me on steam anyways steamcommunity.com/id/Raslin

    3ds friend code: 2981-6032-4118
  • UberEvUberEv Registered User
    edited June 2009
    Axen wrote: »
    UberEv wrote: »
    Kazhiim wrote: »
    Man now you guys reminded me that they're selling SC2 in three parts

    I am so angry. SO ANGRY. I think I might start making

    terrible metaphors

    See, think of SC2 like a paycheck.

    Imagine only getting 1/3 of your money, and then having to wait a year for another 1/3, and another year for the last 1/3.

    Pretty soon you're getting evicted because you can't pay your rent, and your cable is cut off and FUCK YOU BLIZZARD!

    Better yet, think of it like a large watermelon that's meant to sustain you for three years.

    Sometime this year you get a 1/3, then next year and so on. Pretty soon you realize you are going to go hungry and FUCK YOU BLIZZARD!


    Like a balloon. . . then something bad happens!

    In a different reality, I could have called you friend.

    UberEv on
  • KazhiimKazhiim __BANNED USERS regular
    edited June 2009
    who cares about blizzard bleeding their wow subscribers dry

    they are MMO players and deserve no better

    Kazhiim on
    lost_sig2.png
  • subediisubedii Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Kazhiim wrote: »
    I was thinking something along the lines of three enormous cakes

    yes, they're really big cakes, but I only want one decent sized cake

    I'm not going to feel like eating the second and third cake after I've had the first, but maybe I'd like to try those flavors

    I want a neapolitan cake

    Out of curiosity, how do you feel about Half-Life 2 and its episodes?

    What's helpful is that these releases are also going to be major testing points which will allow Blizzard to get a metric tonne of data about the game as it currently plays, what worked and what didn't. This applies to both singleplayer and multiplayer. The benefit of episodic schemes for the devs is that they can use this data to iterate and improve the formula instead of making an all-or-nothing release.

    Or to put it another way, Half-Life 3 would not have been nearly as good if Valve simply set to work on it straight away and released the next chunk of story in 6 years time. What they've learned from the episodes has very directly gone back into the game with each iteration, making it better than it would have been as they learn how to tweak the franchise.

    So I'm expecting similar here, what Blizzard learns from the first release will allow them to see what new units need to be added in the next pack to make things more diverse, balanced and interesting, and they can also learn what worked in the SP campaign and improve the future campaigns accordingly.

    Then again, I'd also like to hold out for an in-game directors commentary, because seriously, more devs need to do that, it's freaking awesome.

    subedii on
  • AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    UberEv wrote: »
    Axen wrote: »
    UberEv wrote: »
    Kazhiim wrote: »
    Man now you guys reminded me that they're selling SC2 in three parts

    I am so angry. SO ANGRY. I think I might start making

    terrible metaphors

    See, think of SC2 like a paycheck.

    Imagine only getting 1/3 of your money, and then having to wait a year for another 1/3, and another year for the last 1/3.

    Pretty soon you're getting evicted because you can't pay your rent, and your cable is cut off and FUCK YOU BLIZZARD!

    Better yet, think of it like a large watermelon that's meant to sustain you for three years.

    Sometime this year you get a 1/3, then next year and so on. Pretty soon you realize you are going to go hungry and FUCK YOU BLIZZARD!


    Like a balloon. . . then something bad happens!

    In a different reality, I could have called you friend.

    Episode ten, Balance of Terror.


    @Subedii

    Valve is not a good example if you ask me. I have nothing against episodic content, but if I have to wait years for a 4-5 hour episode then its just not worth it. I do not care what new things they bring to the table.

    Axen on
  • edited June 2009
    I may be stating the obvious, but didn't the guy just say there was no LAN "at this time" and that there would be something like that in Bnet 2.0?

    What I really want is a way to play online without getting matched up and raped by jobless South Koreans and others who manage to play 25 hours a day.

    While the total game with all three parts (please don't make me pay $150 for it Blizzard) may be huge, there honestly doesn't seem to be any huge changes from SC1. Yeah all of the "pros" will argue over balance for eternity, but I was kinda hope for some major addition that would cause their heads to explode.

    KingLampshade on
    "Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy."
    British publisher and writer Ernest Benn [1875-1954]
  • KazhiimKazhiim __BANNED USERS regular
    edited June 2009
    subedii wrote: »
    Out of curiosity, how do you feel about Half-Life 2 and its episodes?

    not too good

    I bought episode 1 and was disappointed, bought episode 2 only because it came with the orange box, and don't plan on buying episode 3 unless it comes with something cool (and since portal 2 is involved, I guess it counts)

    I am much more tolerant of an FPS than an RTS selling me the same shit though

    Kazhiim on
    lost_sig2.png
  • SithDrummerSithDrummer Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Kazhiim wrote: »
    who cares about blizzard bleeding their wow subscribers dry

    they are MMO players and deserve no better
    damn straight


    though sometimes, I remember the game world and kind of wish I was playing it again

    and then I remember the gameplay and the people, and throw that goddamn nostalgia out the window and onto my neighbor's car

    SithDrummer on
    It's an easy game to hate
  • BladeXBladeX Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I may be stating the obvious, but didn't the guy just say there was no LAN "at this time" and that there would be something like that in Bnet 2.0?

    What I really want is a way to play online without getting matched up and raped by jobless South Koreans and others who manage to play 25 hours a day.

    While the total game with all three parts (please don't make me pay $150 for it Blizzard) may be huge, there honestly doesn't seem to be any huge changes from SC1. Yeah all of the "pros" will argue over balance for eternity, but I was kinda hope for some major addition that would cause their heads to explode.
    The OP needs updating as later in the thread it was linked that clarification was made and LAN is being handled through Bnet 2.0. How that will work remains to be seen, some people speculated perhaps an "offline mode" of sorts like Steam.

    BladeX on
  • KazhiimKazhiim __BANNED USERS regular
    edited June 2009
    I would like to point out that episode 1 is ten dollars and episode two is fifteen dollars, though

    Kazhiim on
    lost_sig2.png
  • DsmartDsmart Registered User
    edited June 2009
    I still don't know why anyone would want to play 90 single player RTS missions.

    Dsmart on
  • subediisubedii Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Kazhiim wrote: »
    subedii wrote: »
    Out of curiosity, how do you feel about Half-Life 2 and its episodes?

    not too good

    I bought episode 1 and was disappointed, bought episode 2 only because it came with the orange box, and don't plan on buying episode 3 unless it comes with something cool (and since portal 2 is involved, I guess it counts)

    I am much more tolerant of an FPS than an RTS selling me the same shit though

    How's it the same though? As far as I'm concerned the other two are like Brood War. Admittedly pricing is different for an expansion, so there is that to consider, but completely reworked and new campaign + multiplayer modifications seems a pretty huge addition.

    subedii on
  • KazhiimKazhiim __BANNED USERS regular
    edited June 2009
    Dsmart wrote: »
    I still don't know why anyone would want to play 90 single player RTS missions.

    I am glad that you get it

    I want them to compress the story a wee bit, really. I don't need three "LEARN TO BUILD A SUPPLY DEPOT" missions, one for each race

    Kazhiim on
    lost_sig2.png
  • subediisubedii Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Dsmart wrote: »
    I still don't know why anyone would want to play 90 single player RTS missions.


    I don't know. Why would anyone want to play 60 singleplayer RTS missions?

    subedii on
  • KazhiimKazhiim __BANNED USERS regular
    edited June 2009
    subedii wrote: »
    As far as I'm concerned the other two are like Brood War.

    I would not pay fifty dollars for brood war even if it added TEN new units and doubled the single player missions

    it is that simple

    Kazhiim on
    lost_sig2.png
  • TaranisTaranis Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    subedii wrote: »
    Kazhiim wrote: »
    I was thinking something along the lines of three enormous cakes

    yes, they're really big cakes, but I only want one decent sized cake

    I'm not going to feel like eating the second and third cake after I've had the first, but maybe I'd like to try those flavors

    I want a neapolitan cake

    Out of curiosity, how do you feel about Half-Life 2 and its episodes?

    What's helpful is that these releases are also going to be major testing points which will allow Blizzard to get a metric tonne of data about the game as it currently plays, what worked and what didn't. This applies to both singleplayer and multiplayer. The benefit of episodic schemes for the devs is that they can use this data to iterate and improve the formula instead of making an all-or-nothing release.

    Or to put it another way, Half-Life 3 would not have been nearly as good if Valve simply set to work on it straight away and released the next chunk of story in 6 years time. What they've learned from the episodes has very directly gone back into the game with each iteration, making it better than it would have been as they learn how to tweak the franchise.

    So I'm expecting similar here, what Blizzard learns from the first release will allow them to see what new units need to be added in the next pack to make things more diverse, balanced and interesting, and they can also learn what worked in the SP campaign and improve the future campaigns accordingly.

    Then again, I'd also like to hold out for an in-game directors commentary, because seriously, more devs need to do that, it's freaking awesome.

    Terrible analogy. Valve didn't market each episode as a seperate full featured game and the reduced price reflected this fact. Also, a campaign for each race included in an RTS is the standard. If a game comes out lacking features that are considered the norm only to be released later at full price, it should be no surprise that everyone is going to bitch about it.

    Taranis on
    / steam / [blizzard] taranis#1834 /
    EH28YFo.jpg
Sign In or Register to comment.