As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Final Fantasy Thread: There's a big difference between 'Mostly Dead' and 'All Dead'

• Options
    Professor SnugglesworthProfessor Snugglesworth Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Fiaryn wrote: »
    Once you reach the World of Ruin Terra quite easily fades into the background and becomes super forgettable.

....and is replaced with ANOTHER FEMALE. See the pattern here?

I'll have the new thread ready later tonight. Again, if there's something you'd like to see added to the OP, let me know.

In addition to Adus' LP, what other FF LPs have been done by members recently?

Professor Snugglesworth on
  • Options
    FiarynFiaryn Omnicidal Madman Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Once you reach the World of Ruin Terra quite easily fades into the background and becomes super forgettable.

Celes, for an even briefer period of time until the game stops forcing you to bring any one character along. Thus, it felt like it ceased to have a main character.

Edit: I mean shit even in the World of Balance Terra felt more like a MacGuffin than a main character with her being off in Zozo for how long? And the party dividing up all the fucking time?

Fiaryn on
    Soul Silver FC: 1935 3141 6240
    White FC: 0819 3350 1787
  • Options
    ZerokkuZerokku Registered User regular
    edited August 2009

I'll have the new thread ready later tonight. Again, if there's something you'd like to see added to the OP, let me know.

XoB started VI, got jailed moments later, and never picked it up again.

Minion is halfway through IX, but had to put it down due to major computer problems but will hopefully pick it up again.

Thats about it.

Zerokku on
  • Options
    BlackjackBlackjack Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Guys. Terra shows up at the last battle even if you don't recruit her.

She's the main character. It's okay that the camera isn't on her 100% of the time, but she is absolutely the focal point of the story.

Blackjack on
    camo_sig2.png

3DS: 1607-3034-6970
  • Options
    gjaustingjaustin Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Blackjack wrote: »
    Guys. Terra shows up at the last battle even if you don't recruit her.

She's the main character. It's okay that the camera isn't on her 100% of the time, but she is absolutely the focal point of the story.

She's about as much a main character as Frodo is in Lord of the Rings.

He's starts the whole thing off and finishes it. He just does almost nothing in between other than make some poor decisions and nearly get killed a couple times.

gjaustin on
  • Options
    Zephyr_FateZephyr_Fate Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Aside from doing jack shit between the beginning and the end, Terra is still the focal point, as Blackjack said.

Zephyr_Fate on
  • Options
    AdusAdus Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Zerokku wrote: »

XoB started VI, got jailed moments later, and never picked it up again.

Minion is halfway through IX, but had to put it down due to major computer problems but will hopefully pick it up again.

Thats about it.

I don't really know what his computer problems are, but I'm pretty sure he's just using a completely different computer now, so he probably doesn't have access to his FFIX save. In other words, the status of that LP is comatose at best. Part of me considered playing up to where he was and finishing it myself, but then I remembered that game bores the crap out of me and it wouldn't be funny. Much like my other LP, but at least I enjoy VII.

Adus on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    FFIX is not boring. :O

Zephyr_Fate on
  • Options
    Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    One of my favorite things about six is that it forgoes a single protagonist in favor of a bunch of characters that are pretty compelling.

Eat it You Nasty Pig. on
    NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
  • Options
    AdusAdus Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    FFIX is not boring. :O

It is to me. It really... really is.

Adus on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Huh, well I guess we're opposites in that respect then. I have the same feelings for VII as soon as you leave Midgar. :P

Zephyr_Fate on
  • Options
    Xenogears of BoreXenogears of Bore Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    The load times in FFIX can be maddening sometimes.

I still think I'll get around to FF VI one of these days...

Xenogears of Bore on
    3DS CODE: 3093-7068-3576
  • Options
    Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    The best thing about 7 is that it starts fast, which is something FF games have struggled with.

Eat it You Nasty Pig. on
    NREqxl5.jpg
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Dyscord wrote: »
    The best thing about 7 is that it starts fast, which is something FF games have struggled with.

However, with that quickness comes a tradeoff; sluggishness awaits those who leave the confines of one of the most creative metropolises ever seen in a jRPG.

Zephyr_Fate on
  • Options
    Unco-ordinatedUnco-ordinated NZRegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Morvidus wrote: »
    Right, because obviously "game X had a female lead and was like this so since game Y has a female lead it will be exactly the same so I'm not going to get it because fuck female leads" is a perfectly valid, sane, well reasoned statement.

I thought those who frequent PA forums would be more willing to read into context than troll.

Here, I'll TRY to make it easier for you to understand. Based on Squeenix's approach to female protagonists/antagonists based on my experience with FFX-2, I am not as inclined to purchase FFXIII. Is that simple enough for you? Would you prefer I get the magnetic alphabet and spell it out for you on my refrigerator?

Context? What context? Your argument is as daft now as it was when you first posted it.

Square Enix are quite clearly not taking the same approach to FFXIII as they did with FFX-2, so how exactly can you directly compare them?

Oh and to throw out another Square Enix game with a female protagonist, Parasite Eve. It was so terrible, m i rite?

Unco-ordinated on
    Steam ID - LiquidSolid170 | PSN ID - LiquidSolid
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Right, because obviously "game X had a female lead and was like this so since game Y has a female lead it will be exactly the same so I'm not going to get it because fuck female leads" is a perfectly valid, sane, well reasoned statement.

I thought those who frequent PA forums would be more willing to read into context than troll.

Here, I'll TRY to make it easier for you to understand. Based on Squeenix's approach to female protagonists/antagonists based on my experience with FFX-2, I am not as inclined to purchase FFXIII. Is that simple enough for you? Would you prefer I get the magnetic alphabet and spell it out for you on my refrigerator?

Context? What context? Your argument is as daft now as it was when you first posted it.

Square Enix are quite clearly not taking the same approach to FFXIII as they did with FFX-2, so how exactly can you directly compare them?

Oh and to throw out another Square Enix game with a female protagonist, Parasite Eve. It was so terrible, m i rite?
    That depends...are we counting Parasite Eve 2?

Blackjack on
    camo_sig2.png

• Options
    IandirIandir Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    I've actually seen discussions at school (RPI, so it was fairly normal) about who was the main character in 6.

Usually, people agree on one of these 4 as the focus.

Celes, Locke, Terra, Edgar.

Me personally? I think it's Celes.

Iandir on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    There's really no actual argument for either Locke or Edgar being the main character that doesn't boil down to "because he has a penis"

Blackjack on
    camo_sig2.png

• Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
    I love both the Parasite Eve games.

I'll show myself out now.

(And Edgar might get props if only because he marries Terra.)

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    FiarynFiaryn Omnicidal Madman Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    "If only"?

Man Edgar is awesome on his own merits too :(

Fiaryn on
    Soul Silver FC: 1935 3141 6240
    White FC: 0819 3350 1787
  • Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
    He does have good taste.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    halkunhalkun Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    halkun on
  • Options
    Professor SnugglesworthProfessor Snugglesworth Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
  • Options
    edited August 2009
  • Options
    Xenogears of BoreXenogears of Bore Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    The diplomatic and right answer to this question.

Terra is the main character in WoB. Celes is in WoR. Pretty hard to argue.

Xenogears of Bore on
    3DS CODE: 3093-7068-3576
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    There's really no actual argument for either Locke or Edgar being the main character that doesn't boil down to "because he has a penis"

I don't think you can argue for Edgar, but I think you could sell me on Locke. He's as basically as influential to the WoB plot as Terra is, and he's a lot more relevant to the WoR plot before it degenerates into sidequests.

Eat it You Nasty Pig. on
    NREqxl5.jpg
  • Options
    Al BaronAl Baron Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Would Square even let a non-Japanese company work on their biggest franchise? I mean, the new Front Mission game is one thing but their bread and butter?

Al Baron on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Al Baron wrote: »
    Would Square even let a non-Japanese company work their biggest franchise? I mean, the new Front Mission game is one thing but their bread and butter?

To be fair, Squeenix is one of the few developers (like capcom) who have realized that many japanese developers are out of touch with what western gamers want, so I can see them *attempting* something like this.

Zerokku on
  • Options
    Al BaronAl Baron Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Also, I guess this was GRIN's Final Fantasy. :b

Al Baron on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Vincent GraysonVincent Grayson Frederick, MDRegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
    That FFXIV footage looks kinda...bad.

I mean, it looks pretty, but just from that video the controls and combat look as goofy as FFXI.

Vincent Grayson on
  • Options
    Unco-ordinatedUnco-ordinated NZRegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Would Square even let a non-Japanese company work their biggest franchise? I mean, the new Front Mission game is one thing but their bread and butter?

To be fair, Squeenix is one of the few developers (like capcom) who have realized that many japanese developers are out of touch with what western gamers want, so I can see them *attempting* something like this.

One of the few developers? Most of them have been saying the same rubbish. Personally, I'd prefer that they focus on what they're good at, rather than mimicking the same crap we already see from western publishers.

Unco-ordinated on
    Steam ID - LiquidSolid170 | PSN ID - LiquidSolid
  • Options
    yurnamehereyurnamehere Registered User regular
    edited August 2009

I don't think you can argue for Edgar, but I think you could sell me on Locke. He's as basically as influential to the WoB plot as Terra is, and {b}he's a lot more relevant to the WoR plot before it degenerates into sidequests.

Buh? You can't even get Locke until it "degenerates into sidequests," and you aren't required to get him at all.

yurnamehere on
  • Options
    APZonerunnerAPZonerunner Registered User regular
    edited August 2009

It is part of a new strategy for them, and they are definitely looking at doing it with multiple franchises and multiple devs.

APZonerunner on
    APZonerunner | RPG Site | UFFSite | The Gaming Vault
    XBL/PSN/Steam: APZonerunner
  • Options
    KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    cj iwakura wrote: »

Bwah? Edgar marries Terra? o_O

Kyougu on
  • Options
    LockeColeLockeCole Registered User regular
    edited August 2009

I don't think you can argue for Edgar, but I think you could sell me on Locke. He's as basically as influential to the WoB plot as Terra is, and {b}he's a lot more relevant to the WoR plot before it degenerates into sidequests.

Buh? You can't even get Locke until it "degenerates into sidequests," and you aren't required to get him at all.

Locke's character is a driving force for Celes to actually start moving in the WoR, but I'm going to have to agree with Terra as MC for WoB and Celes in WoR.
    Kyougu wrote: »

Bwah? Edgar marries Terra? o_O

Ignore him. :)

LockeCole on
  • Options
    AspectVoidAspectVoid Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    I've always seen FFVI as being a bit more movie like in its character division. Rather than having a main character, I've always felt that it had two female leads (Terra and Celes) and a male lead (Locke) and then a bunch of cool secondary characters who get their moments to shine. Its sort of the reverse of Star Wars where you had two male leads (Luke and Han) and one female lead (Leia) while other characters like Chewie and Lando had their moments in the sun. Of course, since FFVI is so much larger in scope, there were more and longer moments then in the movies.

AspectVoid on
    PSN|AspectVoid
  • Options
    MorvidusMorvidus Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    I'm not misogynistic, but I can't get excited about a female lead after FFX-2. Now that the antagonist is also a woman, it looks like I may have to pass on this.

Are you forgetting FFVI?

To be fair, it felt like after a while FFVI stopped having a main character.

It begins and ends with Terra, and she's on the cover. (And if that wasn't enough, see: Dissidia.)

I do believe the cover was just a red background with Mog sitting under the "Final Fantasy III" logo.

You kids and your Gamestations...

Morvidus on
  • Options
    LockeColeLockeCole Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    I'm not misogynistic, but I can't get excited about a female lead after FFX-2. Now that the antagonist is also a woman, it looks like I may have to pass on this.

Are you forgetting FFVI?

To be fair, it felt like after a while FFVI stopped having a main character.

It begins and ends with Terra, and she's on the cover. (And if that wasn't enough, see: Dissidia.)

I do believe the cover was just a red background with Mog sitting under the "Final Fantasy III" logo.

You kids and your Gamestations...

Stupid US game art.

LockeCole on
  • Options
    edited August 2009

One of the few developers? Most of them have been saying the same rubbish. Personally, I'd prefer that they focus on what they're good at, rather than mimicking the same crap we already see from western publishers.

Honestly, only a handful have, though they happen to be the larger developers who don't need to worry in the first place becuase they have large fanbases here already.

I like developers on both sides for their own reasons, but I can understand the logic behind it.

Zerokku on
  • Options
    APZonerunnerAPZonerunner Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Interviewed Toriyama and Kitase today. Will post later.

APZonerunner on
    APZonerunner | RPG Site | UFFSite | The Gaming Vault
    XBL/PSN/Steam: APZonerunner