Options

Shin Megami Tensei / Persona: P3 goes portable, and pink. (Girl power optional)

cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm RegentBears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
edited August 2009 in Games and Technology
MegatenLogo.pnglogo.png
devilsurvive.jpg

persona3portable.jpg

Yeesh. Leaning more towards good thing than not.

Persona_PSP_Logo.jpg

http://www.atlus.com/persona/

September 22nd draws closer, so check out some character updates and such.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yv1gIvkW1Jo

^Arguably PSPersona's best song.

Also, a nifty guide to the original Persona characters that's bound to come in handy for the remake, c/o Blackjack.

sj-1.png

Joule wrote: »
Famitsu scans reveal what the new SMT: Strange Journey game is. What seems to be a traditional first person smt for the DS.

Scans:
th_29138_1248228469758_122_373lo.jpgth_32160_1248228578904_122_977lo-1.jpgth_29412_1248228732522_122_115lo.jpgth_32316_1248228801900_122_831lo.jpgth_29488_1248228886983_122_1187lo.jpg

Looks like an SMT styled Etrian Odyssey in the visuals anyway. I'm down.

Guess that settles that. Devil Survivor set off a little trend.
Joule wrote: »
New Atlus teaser site.

The image behind the blocks

2q0syux.jpg
What could it be?

"Earth is irrevocably destined to perish.
To ensure the future of mankind, we must persevere!"

Rest of the text is pretty cryptic. Something about an investigation unit sent to the South Pole.

Only time well tell, but let's positive... you know.

Oak.gif

Ah, greetings! You must be new to the region.

I understand that the locals have been somewhat panicked as of late, what with all the demons running about. Quite a mess.

Oh, I see you have the newest Devil Summoning device.

nintendo-ds-lite.jpg

Well, that will make your education much easier.

Never fear, I have been assigned to cordially walk you through the process of-

How odd, do you hear chanting?

seal.jpg

priest.jpg

Ah, dreadfully sorry about that. The ritual needs work.

A Professor? Odd, I did not see anyone. Hm, where did all this blood come from?
No matter, you must be the new visitor.

You are surely wondering what that device is capable of.

First, I suggest you acquire the following program.

devilsurvivor_boxart_small_stroke.jpg

It will be your best available method to cleanse the region of the demonic intrusion.

As I believe it is internet-ready, you could also access this outside program which will offer data on alternate means of study.

For now, let us focus with the basics.

We have recently established a, shall we say, network-ready variant of the Cathedral's services.

All you need to do is provide us with two unsuspecting creatures.

Ah, these two will do nicely.

jigglypuff.pngcharmander.jpg

Sickeningly cute, are they not? You are facing demons, summoner, not overzealous children hell bent on collecting medals. These won't do at all.

Now, if we put this here, that there, and throw this switch over here...

Victor, if you would?

victor3.jpg
It went smashingly! E he he he...
[crash]

You'll have to forgive my assistant, he can be somewhat eccentric.

And what is our result?

300px-SamaelSMT.jpg

Much better. I believe you have the basic idea. Godspeed, as the saying goes.

You seem unsatisfied with my lecture. Well, the best means of tutorial is through fire.
If you die, you simply did not learn fast enough. Survive and prosper.

As per usual, this is your one stop shop for all things Nocturnal, devil summoning, sagas, surviving, and occasionally Personaing(?).

You can find more info on other games in the series in this bit of archival data:
http://forums.penny-arcade.com/showthread.php?t=88020

And as always:

lpt.jpg

this thread is in no way associated with Nintendo, Pokemon, or any affilations thereof,
please don't kill me, Pokemaniacs - I have a Leanan Sidhe.

<3

wVEsyIc.png
cj iwakura on

• Options
    The Fourth EstateThe Fourth Estate Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I admire your bravery.

DS is in the post, will be able to moan about it soon.

The Fourth Estate on
  • Options
    MrBlarneyMrBlarney Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Personémon!

PersonaPokemonAv.png

PersonaPokemonSig.png

I played up to [Day 6 - 18:00] in Devil Survivor last night...
    I just tried out the battle, not expecting to win, but I got surprisingly close despite Belial's huge innate regeneration. If I had but Bufudyne on the protagonist, I might have won.

I unfortunately fused my demons down to a slim team of 9 usable demons, so I might need to grind a bit for backups. I have two Mitamas waiting for the endgame, which is rather exciting. The game got a little bit easy in the middle days, but Day 6 brought the challenge back. The endgame should be exciting with all these options coming together... I wonder which path I will take in the end?

MrBlarney on
    4463rwiq7r47.png
  • Options
    BlackjackBlackjack Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    So someone, either the USPS or Amazon, fucked up and I've not yet gotten my Devil Survivor. I am not pleased. :(

They won't even send out a replacement until after the seventh.

Blackjack on
    camo_sig2.png

3DS: 1607-3034-6970
  • Options
    Steel AngelSteel Angel Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    MrBlarney wrote: »
    I unfortunately fused my demons down to a slim team of 9 usable demons, so I might need to grind a bit for backups. I have two Mitamas waiting for the endgame, which is rather exciting. The game got a little bit easy in the middle days, but Day 6 brought the challenge back. The endgame should be exciting with all these options coming together... I wonder which path I will take in the end?

If the day 6 battle gave you trouble, the day 7 battles may well sodomize you depending in which path you take. I'm surviving the story battles usually with only one or two squad leaders left standing on the middle of the road difficulty path. Demons tend to be deathbound happy and able to one or two shot your demons before you have a chance to act if they attack you and get the initiative boost for doing so.

One of the bosses I fought has the game's version of eight ship hop. While it's only one hit to each enemy instead of the 8 hit crit machine, it also does more damage if the user has more hp and bosses have A LOT of hp. Wound up making it through that by putting reflect physical on Atsuro. Other bosses have basically relied on kamikaze runs.

Steel Angel on
    Big Dookie wrote: »
    I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
    3DS: 3454-0268-5595 Battle.net: SteelAngel#1772
  • Options
    Zephyr_FateZephyr_Fate Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    POSTING IN A NEW EPIC THREAD

i want devil survivor =[

Zephyr_Fate on
  • Options
    XagarathXagarath Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    My copy of Devil Survivor is due sometime in the next few days.

Xagarath on
  • Options
    an_altan_alt Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    My copy of Devil Survivor arrived yesterday, but I won't get to it right away.

In DDS1, I'm finding myself in some tunnels. In these tunnels, Pixies are found. Vaguely remembering hearing something about a "pixie strategy", I figured it out pretty quick. How the hell can I leave these tunnels when every time I run into a pixie, I must deplete all my MP? It's like the developers put in an elaborate cheat code.

an_alt on
    Pony wrote:
    I think that the internet has been for years on the path to creating what is essentially an electronic Necronomicon: A collection of blasphemous unrealities so perverse that to even glimpse at its contents, if but for a moment, is to irrevocably forfeit a portion of your sanity.
    Xbox - PearlBlueS0ul, Steam
    If you ever need to talk to someone, feel free to message me. Yes, that includes you.
  • Options
    Vincent GraysonVincent Grayson Frederick, MDRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Need to play more Devil Survivor...not sure if anyone ever answered my question about auction rating. What does it mean and do I need to get it to particular levels to get awesome stuff?

Vincent Grayson on
  • Options
    LoveIsUnityLoveIsUnity Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    an_alt wrote: »
    My copy of Devil Survivor arrived yesterday, but I won't get to it right away.

In DDS1, I'm finding myself in some tunnels. In these tunnels, Pixies are found. Vaguely remembering hearing something about a "pixie strategy", I figured it out pretty quick. How the hell can I leave these tunnels when every time I run into a pixie, I must deplete all my MP? It's like the developers put in an elaborate cheat code.

The pixies summon a high pixie, and the high pixies summon queen mab. Once a pixie summons a high pixie, kill the pixie. Wait for the high pixie to summon a queen mab and consume the queen mab. Rinse, wash, repeat. Also, make sure you have AP divide equipped, or you'll only have one character getting the AP.

This is how I grinded mantras for the Beelzebub fight. Just toss on an audiobook or a podcast and zone out for a few hours.

LoveIsUnity on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    MinionOfCthulhuMinionOfCthulhu Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    So...is the Devil Summoning game any good? Does it have anything to do with the Digital Devil Saga games because I only own the first one and never really played it.
    I do want something new for the DS though.

MinionOfCthulhu on
    mgssig.jpg1152dt.gif
  • Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Devil Survivor is its own story, but it reminds me a lot of Nocturne. DDS is like nothing else, and you should play that ASAP.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    an_altan_alt Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    LoveIsUnity, I figured out how the strategy worked pretty quickly. I was commenting that I can't get through the dungeon because every time I run into a pixie, I milk it for so long. One character running out of MP was where I arbitrarily decide to finish the battle.

Aside from the all puzzles in Coordinate 136, I've really been loving DDS.

Edit: Minion, you really should play DDS. Go on, give it a fair shot.

an_alt on
    Pony wrote:
    I think that the internet has been for years on the path to creating what is essentially an electronic Necronomicon: A collection of blasphemous unrealities so perverse that to even glimpse at its contents, if but for a moment, is to irrevocably forfeit a portion of your sanity.
    Xbox - PearlBlueS0ul, Steam
    If you ever need to talk to someone, feel free to message me. Yes, that includes you.
  • Options
    Vincent GraysonVincent Grayson Frederick, MDRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    cj iwakura wrote: »
    Devil Survivor is its own story, but it reminds me a lot of Nocturne. DDS is like nothing else, and you should play that ASAP.

It reminds me of Nocturne + TWEWY in terms of story.

Vincent Grayson on
  • Options
    GilderGilder Aw snap Macaroni PartyRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    So I just came back from a vacation to Vegas, and the whole time I was wishing for a SMT slot machine. Then I look back at the last thread and see it actually will happen in Japan. Combined with the cash I won, I'm beginning to think those luck locusts were a good investment.

Gilder on
  • Options
    ZerokkuZerokku Registered User regular
    edited July 2009

It reminds me of Nocturne + TWEWY in terms of story.

God damn it. I'm trying to save for a psp but that sounds awesome...

Zerokku on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Need to play more Devil Survivor...not sure if anyone ever answered my question about auction rating. What does it mean and do I need to get it to particular levels to get awesome stuff?

When your auction rating and level get high enough, you will be asked to upgrade your auction account to access more powerful demons. Usually, the barrier to entry is encountering demons of sufficient level, so in general it really isn't something you need to be concerned with. Your upgrades will come when they are needed.

I've just completed the [Day 6 - 18:00] battle with great success!
    I was able to pincer Belial in such that I got all four party members to attack in sequence, including Atsuro with a newly cracked Deathbound and previously equipped Pierce to deal tons of damage and Midori with a newly cracked Mabufudyne to help add some more. Having two Culebre with the racial skill Evil Wave helped out as well - ranged attacks with them prevented Belial from counterattacking and did not activate his regeneration. Huzzah!

MrBlarney on
    4463rwiq7r47.png
  • Options
    mastriusmastrius Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Ordered DDS 2 today, should arrive...sometime next week or the week after next. Very excited. Now Ill just need Devil Summoner 1 and Ill be all set for the PS2 titles.

mastrius on
    "You're like a kitten! A kitten who doesn't speak Japanese." ~ Juliet Starling
  • Options
    YggiDeeYggiDee The World Ends With You Shill Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Is cracking skills now the only way for human party members to gain new skills? Also, does anyone know what criteria makes a skill crack-able or not; ie it seems I cannot crack Dia on Atsuo no matter how much I fight Pixies, the option simply never appears. While I am irrevocably stuck on the subject, what are some good skillcracks circa Day 2?
    PS - Postin' from my shiny new DSi

YggiDee on
  • Options
    FrosteeyFrosteey Elaise 1521-2945-8940Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    YggiDee wrote: »
    Is cracking skills now the only way for human party members to gain new skills? Also, does anyone know what criteria makes a skill crack-able or not; ie it seems I cannot crack Dia on Atsuo no matter how much I fight Pixies, the option simply never appears. While I am irrevocably stuck on the subject, what are some good skillcracks circa Day 2?
    PS - Postin' from my shiny new DSi

I don't think you can crack Dia because Yuzu starts with it, doesn't she?

You can crack any skill that you don't already have in your list. It doesn't matter if the person marking the skill can equip it or not.

Dances. I think Ice Dance is the first one you can get. Any of the single target elements if you don't have them. I can't think of any outstanding passive skills.

(You can get some skills in other ways. There's an extra battle you can do where you can get an extra skill from some floating card. And those cards show up some times in free battles. I didn't see one until Day 3.)

Frosteey on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Yeah, the way skills work for your team leaders is that each skill can be equipped by at most one person at a time. Once a skill is cracked, it's available permanently. You won't have enough skills to fill everyone's slots that early on, but later, you'll have more than enough to be pretty flexible. (And you'll want that flexibility late in the game...)

MrBlarney on
    4463rwiq7r47.png
  • Options
    edited July 2009

As a followup to the above posts, all your cracked skills go into one shared pool so it doesn't matter who cracks it. It's all communal.

Steel Angel on
    I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
  • Options
    YggiDeeYggiDee The World Ends With You Shill Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Oh shit, this means I can rearrange Party Leader skills? I thought that if you replaced an aqired skill with a new one, it had to be re-cracked! I was going insane, trying to make sure that part members only cracked skill that they would find useful, regardless of badly the actual fight would destroy them.

Sweet Fuck, this is gonna get a lot better!

Only three slots for base skills was drivibg me insane, I remember reading about those poor bastards who permanently borked their Nocturne setups by overwritting the wrong skills.

YggiDee on
  • Options
    MinionOfCthulhuMinionOfCthulhu Registered User regular
    edited July 2009

I probably won't bother until I can track down the second one.

MinionOfCthulhu on
    mgssig.jpg1152dt.gif
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Oh shit, this means I can rearrange Party Leader skills? I thought that if you replaced an aqired skill with a new one, it had to be re-cracked! I was going insane, trying to make sure that part members only cracked skill that they would find useful, regardless of badly the actual fight would destroy them.

Sweet Fuck, this is gonna get a lot better!

Only three slots for base skills was drivibg me insane, I remember reading about those poor bastards who permanently borked their Nocturne setups by overwritting the wrong skills.

Yeah, you use the Y button on the team setup screen to alter a leader's skills.

Someone on the GameFAQs board apparently managed to go through the game once without realizing this D:

Steel Angel on

Steam Profile
  • Options
    edited July 2009

I probably won't bother until I can track down the second one.

Amazon.com my friend. I bought the first one there for 40 dollars new and just bought the second. (not the 140 dollar one though, one of the others for like...I think was 50 dollars altogether with the fastest shipping.)

mastrius on
  • Options
    LednehLedneh shinesquawk Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Picked up Devil Survivor. A question, I know in Nocturne the 'best' way to go with the protagonist's stats was to frontload strength and become a physical powerhouse; has it been determined what the likely best way here will be?

I know this is the sort of thing I should find out for myself but that kind of decision gives me fits :(

Ledneh on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Ive been going Magic all the way. I mean, Ive level str a little and vit and agi but a lot of magic. For me. Its up to you.

mastrius on
  • Options
    FrosteeyFrosteey Elaise 1521-2945-8940Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Ledneh wrote: »
    Picked up Devil Survivor. A question, I know in Nocturne the 'best' way to go with the protagonist's stats was to frontload strength and become a physical powerhouse; has it been determined what the likely best way here will be?

I know this is the sort of thing I should find out for myself but that kind of decision gives me fits :(

Magic is the best for damage output, and I don't think it's really even a close race. Agility is good for extra turn management. Vitality is general added survivability, and you also need some for a lot of good passive skills. Strength is also used in some passive skills, and there's a battle where you have to physically attack with your main character (not a huge deal, but it exists).

On Day 4 right now, I'm somewhere around 20 Magic, 15 Agility, 7 Vitality, 5 Strength. And I'm starting to find skills where 7 Vitality doesn't cut it.

Also, 18:00 for Day 4-
    Just killed Kudlak. Wasn't going to, but the jerk was blocking the stairs and it was a hassle to switch around things with flight. 2400 experience later, and I don't regret my decision.

Kind of wish I just had the option for "Yeaaah... Kaido and Keisuke can kill each other, if they really want."

Frosteey on
  • Options
    JONJONAUGJONJONAUG Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Going along in Persona 3 swimmingly. The only way the mall boss could've been any easier is if they set up a big signpost that said "don't bring Aigis or Yukari and equip an elec null persona", which is basically what they did with all the dialogue anyway.

Why do you guys hate Aigis so much? So far she's been an extremely well written character who also provides a lot of comic relief. If anything it's the main character that's an annoying Mary Sue (seriously, everything in this game can be described as your quest to become the most Mary Sue-ish main character ever, especially if you're going for a perfect social link playthrough). Or does it only become bad in "The Answer"?

JONJONAUG on
  • Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I like her, she just has some annoying battle VA, which they thankfully fixed in The Answer.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    JONJONAUG wrote: »
    Going along in Persona 3 swimmingly. The only way the mall boss could've been any easier is if they set up a big signpost that said "don't bring Aigis or Yukari and equip an elec null persona", which is basically what they did with all the dialogue anyway.

Why do you guys hate Aigis so much? So far she's been an extremely well written character who also provides a lot of comic relief. If anything it's the main character that's an annoying Mary Sue (seriously, everything in this game can be described as your quest to become the most Mary Sue-ish main character ever, especially if you're going for a perfect social link playthrough). Or does it only become bad in "The Answer"?
    Because Aigis makes no sense within the world as established, comes literally out of nowhere, inserts herself into the main plot at every opportunity, shoves other characters out of the way to do so, and completely monopolizes the ending to the point where the other characters are lucky if they get two lines. As soon as Aigis shows up it stops being about a group of high school kids against these forces they don't understand and becomes Aigis' Quest For Humanity.

Blackjack on
    camo_sig2.png

• Options
    edited July 2009
    Blackjack wrote: »

Because Aigis makes no sense within the world as established, comes literally out of nowhere, inserts herself into the main plot at every opportunity, shoves other characters out of the way to do so, and completely monopolizes the ending to the point where the other characters are lucky if they get two lines.

You have a god damn superdog on your team and you're shooting yourself in the head to summon demons. Robots make more than enough sense in this context.

JONJONAUG on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    You clearly have never heard me bitch about the dog.

Blackjack on
    camo_sig2.png

• Options
    ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    I like the dog. He generally stays out of the way and is decent in battle (especially as a replacement for Junpei).

Elendil on
  • Options
    Glenn565Glenn565 Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Just managed to beat Persona 4. All I can say is Wow. That was the best PS2 game I've ever played.

The only part of the game I didn't like was the Hot Springs event, which I skipped.

Glenn565 on
    3DS code:4511-0654-1976
    NNID: Glenn565
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    Magic-focused builds will probably be best in Devil Summoner, since there's a lot more magic-related skills than physical-related to pass around. Strength is useful for some skills, but Vitality and Agility are better to raise, if you're focusing on a Magic build.

Day 7...
    Demon-elimination (Gin and Haru) path - 10:00
    I've been beat down by Jezebel twice now, once on a scouting run, and again on a focused run. Jezebel just does too much damage! But I think I've got it this time - pull up Black Frost as a team leader, and give Atsuro Repel Fire so he can do Deathbound twice for huge damage...hopefully it works.

MrBlarney on
    4463rwiq7r47.png
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    You clearly have never heard me bitch about the dog.

It was around the time the dog showed up that I stopped trying to dislike the game for what it wasn't (grimdark RPG in the vein of the other SMT games) and just enjoyed it for what it was (a sorta silly, sorta serious romp). It was just too silly to hate on the game after that, I've been having a lot more fun with it since then.

JONJONAUG on
  • Options
    edited July 2009
    I love Persona 3 (I do feel like it needs to be said every so often), but to suggest it or its characters (especially all of the ones that join up after Fuuka) are without flaw and shouldn't be looked at seriously because the game is also humorous is kind of ridiculous.

Blackjack on
    camo_sig2.png

• Options
    GilderGilder Aw snap Macaroni PartyRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009

Because Aigis makes no sense within the world as established, comes literally out of nowhere, inserts herself into the main plot at every opportunity, shoves other characters out of the way to do so, and completely monopolizes the ending to the point where the other characters are lucky if they get two lines.

You have a god damn superdog on your team and you're shooting yourself in the head to summon demons. Robots make more than enough sense in this context.

I'm confused by the "well written" statement. Exactly what is it about her that's well written to you? For me, I saw her as a very cliche robot character. If she only had a heart to understand these "Hyumann Eemoshuns" and all that. Also, she goes to school and nobody fucking notices that she has no feet? That's bullshit and not well written at all. I feel the opposite about it becoming about her with the story though, because that didn't happen until the end. What I saw was they introduced her, had nothing happen that needed her to be there in any way, and then all of a sudden she became the focus of everything.

Also maybe this is just me, but I really don't like female robots. They're so cliche because they're almost always the same type of character. Yet Japan fucking loves them so much it's insane. The Answer only exists because of the Aigis fanbase. Kos-Mos from Xenosaga is a better robot than her, and she's also not really anything special. Japan went crazy for her too.

Gilder on
  • Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    As far as Aigis goes I tend to wonder. Why does it seem when it comes to games that the boring girl who speaks in monotone always becomes so popular? It honestly confuses me.

@Gilder: Mindtwin

Dragkonias on
This discussion has been closed.