Options

Shin Megami Tensei / Persona: P3 goes portable, and pink. (Girl power optional)

• Options
    ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Finally finished Persona 3. P4 is definitely the better game, but I had fun finishing 3, even if the party AI is functionally retarded at times. Plus, the game is now broken so hard that I'm considering blazing through Hard Mode.

Seriously, though, I can't believe they pretty much snuck in Gaea's Rage as castable spell.
    By the time you get it you're already strong enough to obliterate just about everything but the uberboss, and the uberboss is still hard with it, so it's really not a big deal.

Elendil on
  • Options
    JeanJean Heartbroken papa bear Gatineau, QuébecRegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
    I know they're is an ennemy in the final dungeon of P4 than you can autofarm almost indifinitively for XP and money .. which one is it again and on what floor? I

Jean on
    "You won't destroy us, You won't destroy our democracy. We are a small but proud nation. No one can bomb us to silence. No one can scare us from being Norway. This evening and tonight, we'll take care of each other. That's what we do best when attacked'' - Jens Stoltenberg
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Jean wrote: »
    I know they're is an ennemy in the final dungeon of P4 than you can autofarm almost indifinitively for XP and money .. which one is it again and on what floor? I
    Pringle Kings, I think.

Lower section of the December dungeon.

Elendil on
  • Options
    EgosEgos Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Finally finished Persona 3. P4 is definitely the better game, but I had fun finishing 3, even if the party AI is functionally retarded at times. Plus, the game is now broken so hard that I'm considering blazing through Hard Mode.

Seriously, though, I can't believe they pretty much snuck in Gaea's Rage as castable spell.

I bought both, so I could play them after each other.

Does P4 have less "Together we can overcome" moments?

*Egos hopes but deep down knows you can't get rid of this staple of JRPGS*

Egos on
  • Options
    AroducAroduc regular
    edited August 2009
    YggiDee wrote: »
    Armageddon is all good and fun until (final boss spoilers)
    Nyx fucking reflects it with Moonless Gown, irrevocably one-shotting the entire team after an hour of horrible murder.

Still better than the slow and painful death from her randomly charming/paralyzing/whatevering the MC and then watching your allies use items to heal each other for 50 HP instead of doing anything useful.

Not that that happened to me twice or anything.

Ugh.

Aroduc on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Aroduc wrote: »
    Nyx fucking reflects it with Moonless Gown, irrevocably one-shotting the entire team after an hour of horrible murder.

Still better than the slow and painful death from her randomly charming/paralyzing/whatevering the MC and then watching your allies use items to heal each other for 50 HP instead of doing anything useful.

Ugh.
    Only twice? Lucky.

Elendil on
  • Options
    PrincepeachPrincepeach Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Egos wrote: »

What's sad is that until P3, SMT games really DID avoid a lot of those crap JRPG tropes. That kind of thing is actually worse in P4.

At least Strange Journey seems to be a return to form at least. I was pretty worried for a while given how popular the Persona games had become.

Princepeach on
  • Options
    BlackjackBlackjack Registered User regular
    edited August 2009

What's sad is that until P3, SMT games really DID avoid a lot of those crap JRPG tropes. That kind of thing is actually worse in P4.

At least Strange Journey seems to be a return to form at least. I was pretty worried for a while given how popular the Persona games had become.
    No? The Persona games were always pretty heavy on the Power of Friendship.

Blackjack on
    camo_sig2.png

3DS: 1607-3034-6970
  • Options
    LoveIsUnityLoveIsUnity Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Elendil wrote: »
    Aroduc wrote: »

Ugh.
    Only twice? Lucky.

This never happened to me during that battle. Although, I only used Armageddon on the 13th form, so maybe that explains it. I took the final boss out first try. I also beat the true demon boss in Nocturne on the first try, which is good because I was tired of dying all the time in that game.

LoveIsUnity on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    I lost the final boss fight probably three, four times.

Which sucks, as I was at a reasonable level, if not slightly underleveled (low 70s) so it took like 45 minutes a pop.

Elendil on
  • Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
    I always thought this was cool, but it's even better now that I've played Innocent Sin:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m7Gk-onicEc

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    EgosEgos Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Blackjack wrote: »

No? The Persona games were always pretty heavy on the Power of Friendship.

Was it always as corny as Persona 3 though?
    corny moments *top of my head*

standing up in audience at the end anime sequence
    anything involving calling the Koromaru a good boy
    Fuuka :mrgreen:
    Character stating they never contemplated their demise until Death came along and told them...wtf?
    Akhiko and Ken's preachiness after Shinji died

The little group huddle on how to handle Ryoji...that was real bad

edit: to be fair I should say non-corny things or things i liked about Persona 3
    shooting yourself in the head, kinda- pretty cool
    Tartarus, pretty cool
    Art Design in General
    Persona Design

Random dude freaking out with coffins around him
    Love Hotel Shower Time- freaky david lynch stuff
    the eyeball in the sky...

Ok I can't think of much cool Storywise...

I liked the Occult Teacher....

Egos on
  • Options
    LunkerLunker Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Well ... I'm one of you now. Since SMT has seen fit to go portable more recently, which is the only real way I can play RPGs anymore, I picked up Devil Survivor on a lark last night and am curious to check out P1 and P3 when they hit the PSP. I'm about an hour in and it's pretty good so far; I like the blend of traditional RPG battles and SRPG tactics, though I'm still trying to digest all of the mechanics I've gotten so far.

I'm sure this has been mentioned earlier, but are there some general gameplay guidelines you folks recommend? I'm not looking to powergame or break the game into submission, as most of you seem to :), but I just want to make sure I don't paint myself into a corner. Are free battles always available as an option if I feel like I need to boost my stats a bit?

Lunker on
    Tweet my Face: @heyitslunker | Save money at CheapAssGamer (not an affiliate link)
  • Options
    GammarahGammarah Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Lunker, do you know what you've gotten into here? You still have a chance to back out now.

Gammarah on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Gammarah wrote: »
    Lunker, do you know what you've gotten into here? You still have a chance to back out now.

I'm out there, Jerry, and I'm lovin' every minute of it!

The PS2 titles don't really beckon me at all, as I really don't have the time to play lengthy RPGs at home anymore. My daily commute is perfectly built for grinding and dungeon-crawling, though, so on a handheld I'm cool with being able to pick up and put down a long-ass game.

Lunker on
    Tweet my Face: @heyitslunker | Save money at CheapAssGamer (not an affiliate link)
  • Options
    RainbowDespairRainbowDespair Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Yeah, free battles are always an option so you're never really stuck. I'd say the most important thing is to try to specialize your main character: either go primarily magic or primarily strength, not both.

RainbowDespair on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Lunker wrote: »

I'm out there, Jerry, and I'm lovin' every minute of it!

The PS2 titles don't really beckon me at all, as I really don't have the time to play lengthy RPGs at home anymore. My daily commute is perfectly built for grinding and dungeon-crawling, though, so on a handheld I'm cool with being able to pick up and put down a long-ass game.

You're lucky. I've lost over 120 hours of my life that I can never replace.

Can't help you on the Devil Survivor stuff cause I don't have it, but someone posted this cool database that they made earlier in this thread, it might help you out later in the game if you do decide that you wanna break it.

Gammarah on
  • Options
    WotanAnubisWotanAnubis Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    I'm sure this has been mentioned earlier, but are there some general gameplay guidelines you folks recommend?
    Just remember that Cracked Skills go into a kind of Cracked Skill Pool which every (team leader) character can access, so the person who actually cracks whatever skill does not have to be the one to keep/use that skill.

WotanAnubis on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Just remember that Cracked Skills go into a kind of Cracked Skill Pool which every (team leader) character can access, so the person who actually cracks whatever skill does not have to be the one to keep/use that skill.

And only one person can have each skill equipped at once, right? I don't have the manual in front of me. I just fought the snowman and picked up Ice Dance instead of that ice defense skill.
    Can't help you on the Devil Survivor stuff cause I don't have it, but someone posted this cool database that they made earlier in this thread, it might help you out later in the game if you do decide that you wanna break it.

I will have to take a peek or two; I just opened up the fusion section, and it definitely looks like one of those things that could take dozens of hours to figure out on my own. The whole catch-em-all aspect was the main thing I wasn't all that jazzed about with what I knew of SMT, but at least with the devil auctions I hope experimenting on my own with fusions won't be too costly!

Oh, and GAF found Famitsu screens and video of P3 on PSP. Apparently the non-dungeon sections are vastly cut down and are more menu-based instead of running around exploring on your own; looks like a deal-killer for a number of series vets, but I personally like that kind of streamlining, especially if it's meant for a portable system. It looks really good on the PSP Go in the videos, too!

Lunker on
  • Options
    edited August 2009

I will have to take a peek or two; I just opened up the fusion section, and it definitely looks like one of those things that could take dozens of hours to figure out on my own. The whole catch-em-all aspect was the main thing I wasn't all that jazzed about with what I knew of SMT, but at least with the devil auctions I hope experimenting on my own with fusions won't be too costly!

Oh, and GAF found Famitsu screens and video of P3 on PSP. Apparently the non-dungeon sections are vastly cut down and are more menu-based instead of running around exploring on your own; looks like a deal-killer for a number of series vets, but I personally like that kind of streamlining, especially if it's meant for a portable system. It looks really good on the PSP Go in the videos, too!
    Oh wow. Pink menus. That's not entirely horrible on every level or anything.

Blackjack on
    camo_sig2.png

• Options
    firewaterwordfirewaterword Satchitananda Pais Vasco to San FranciscoRegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Well, I think Shadow Complex may have torpedoed any hope I had of getting through P4 anytime soon.

November Spoiler:
    After grinding the fuck out of Naoto's dungeon, I'm hard pressed to dive into "Heaven."
    The music in the November dungeon is really great though.

Anyway, I'm looking forward to replaying this, as I failed fairly spectacularly at building up my party's S.Links. Maxed Chie and Yukiko, but everyone else is around 3 or 4. I took my sweet ass time with all of the dungeons prior to September, so I think I shot myself in the foot there.

firewaterword on
    Lokah Samastah Sukhino Bhavantu
  • Options
    edited August 2009

I think its fabulous.

Gammarah on
  • Options
    KiTAKiTA Registered User regular
    edited August 2009

Is this where I point out that that last movie with the female MC in battle has a male Mitsuru and a female Akihiko?

Edit: Woah, 5 difficulties?

KiTA on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    KiTA wrote: »

Is this where I point out that that last movie with the female MC in battle has a male Mitsuru and a female Akihiko?
    It's pretty small and hard for me to see, but if it does then it has a male Mitsuru that enjoys to wear female Mitsuru's swimsuit and a female Akihiko that likes to cosplay as Aigis, then.

Blackjack on
    camo_sig2.png

• Options
    MeiteronMeiteron Registered User regular
    edited August 2009

It's not -that- much of a deal killer since once I had done a quick run-around whenever npc dialog changed there wasn't much point to explore the school/city beyond making beelines for whoever you're spending the day with.

What I noticed was that I didn't recognize either song playing in those videos (considering the opening to Mass Destruction is forever burned into the deepest depths of my mind now) which makes me hope Meguro has come up with more music for this game, which is always a plus.

Meiteron on
  • Options
    edited August 2009

<3 And just think of all the girls that can play this on their lilac Hannah Montana PSPs! <3

Though, true story: I was given a copy of the Hannah Montana PSP game that someone very obviously didn't want as a gift, so I had the satisfaction of going into GameStop and saying, "Yes, I'd like to trade in this Hannah Montana game and put the credit toward Shin Megami Tensei: Devil Survivor." I think I made the register guy's day.

Lunker on
  • Options
    edited August 2009

<3 And just think of all the girls that can play this on their lilac Hannah Montana PSPs! <3

Though, true story: I was given a copy of the Hannah Montana PSP game that someone very obviously didn't want as a gift, so I had the satisfaction of going into GameStop and saying, "Yes, I'd like to trade in this Hannah Montana game and put the credit toward Shin Megami Tensei: Devil Survivor." I think I made the register guy's day.

Well you certainly made my day :lol:

Gammarah on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Yup. Beginner, Easy, Normal, Hard, and Maniac.

Because Persona 3 is hard enough to need a 'beginner' difficulty. Apparently.

Blackjack on
    camo_sig2.png

• Options
    durandal4532durandal4532 Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Yup. Beginner, Easy, Normal, Hard, and Maniac.

Because Persona 3 is hard enough to need a 'beginner' difficulty. Apparently.

Yes?

I mean, yes it is. All of them are. I never take it, but christ, I don't think anyone I know would have played beyond their first death if they had been kicked all the way back.

durandal4532 on
    Take a moment to donate what you can to Critical Resistance and Black Lives Matter.
  • Options
    firewaterwordfirewaterword Satchitananda Pais Vasco to San FranciscoRegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
    I'm all for a beginner option. I'm so-so on the fighting, but love the games for the meat of the story and whatnot. Plus, I just don't have time to bang my head against particularly hard bits, especially considering how goddamn long these games are.

firewaterword on
    Lokah Samastah Sukhino Bhavantu
  • Options
    Lezard ValethLezard Valeth Registered User regular
    edited August 2009

The PSPGO! didn´t have UMD drive, right? so, P3P will be downloable? And the PSP 1000-2000-3000 will be able to run it?

Lezard Valeth on
    firma1m.th.jpg
  • Options
    Psycho Internet HawkPsycho Internet Hawk Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    I'm not sure if I like how girly the female MC is. Part of the original MC's appeal was that he was a constantly ambiguous blank slate.

Also, I'm pretty sure everyone in the last video is a girl. I see three schoolgirl uniforms, and aegis. Persona 3: Girl Power edition?

Psycho Internet Hawk on
    ezek1t.jpg
  • Options
    edited August 2009

Time out, time out!!
    The PSPGO! didn´t have UMD drive, right? so, P3P will be downloable? And the PSP 1000-2000-3000 will be able to run it?

I'm assuming as such on the first point (unless that's, like, a weird devkit thing), and any downloadable PSP game that runs on a Go will also definitely work on any other UMD-toting model of PSP.

Lunker on
  • Options
    PurpleMonkeyPurpleMonkey Why so derp? Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Meiteron wrote: »

It's not -that- much of a deal killer since once I had done a quick run-around whenever npc dialog changed there wasn't much point to explore the school/city beyond making beelines for whoever you're spending the day with.

What I noticed was that I didn't recognize either song playing in those videos (considering the opening to Mass Destruction is forever burned into the deepest depths of my mind now) which makes me hope Meguro has come up with more music for this game, which is always a plus.

The Tartarus, dormitory and the little bit of velvet room music that is heard sounded the same everything else was different

Also it appears you can have Ken as a social link if you're the female protagonist

PurpleMonkey on
    teddiepicture-1.jpg
    XBL, Steam & Tribes: elmartino333
  • Options
    KiTAKiTA Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    I'm not sure if I like how girly the female MC is. Part of the original MC's appeal was that he was a constantly ambiguous blank slate.

Also, I'm pretty sure everyone in the last video is a girl. I see three schoolgirl uniforms, and aegis. Persona 3: Girl Power edition?

There was a joke earlier in this thread and on TVTropes that they were gonna ter Aigis into a creepy lesbian stalker chick, since that's a *REALLY* popular Trope in anime. Looks like they're right.

KiTA on
  • Options
    ph blakeph blake Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    I took a break from replaying Devil Survivor for a third time in order to start up Raidou 2. Great game and it's good to see Demon Negotiations again; really forgot how much fun those were in Nocturne. I'm a little bit into Chapter 3 now and
    just barely beat the White Rider after dieing to him about 4 times. I probably could have run away easier, but I kind of wanted to see if I could take him out. Luckily my MAG managed to last long enough for my Lilim with Force Boost to take him out before I got chipped to death by that nasty fire spell. Also, Nagi is pretty cool and I love the localization of Dahn and his assassin friends; the world needs more hick assassins.

So what's the general consensus on what stat spread breaks this version of SMT? I've been going mostly Mag with the occasional point into strength and luck and have pretty much been owning face by just letting my magic-savy demons chain cast whatever elemental spell the current enemy is weak to; not sure how well that'll work out once I start running into the higher order demons that don't have a weakness...

ph blake on
    7h8wnycre6vs.png
  • Options
    gtrmpgtrmp Registered User regular
    edited August 2009

It is a title screen.
    Something pushes a button.

gtrmp on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    No release date yet?

Gammarah on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    No release date yet?
    For P3Portable? November 1.

Blackjack on
    camo_sig2.png

• Options
    edited August 2009
    No release date yet?
    For P3Portable? November 1.

Thanks. Guess I can't hold off on getting a PSP after all...

Gammarah on
This discussion has been closed.