As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

You have arrived at the cave of despair.

SonarSonar Registered User regular
edited February 2007 in Critical Failures
Welcome hero!

Before entering you must choose your class!

1) Knight of Hall - Martial Artist/Weapons Master

2) Journeyist - Void Mage User

3) Mauserguise - Master of Disguise

4) Lofthound - Javeliner

Your party may have 4 members!

WARNING! Inactive members may be eaten by a wandering Nonsuch! An new party member may join in town!

Choose your class, the evil awaits!

I'm building a real pirate ship. Really. Wanna help? Click here!
steam_sig.png
caffron said: "and cat pee is not a laughing matter"
Sonar on

• Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    I choose Journeyist!

DarkPrimus on
  • Options
    AtroAtro Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Mauserguise, I embrace your teachings!

Atro on
    pyramidsig0ds.png
  • Options
    thorpethorpe Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    I will watch this with avid interest.

I choose the Avinterest!

thorpe on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    RankenphileRankenphile Passersby were amazed by the unusually large amounts of blood.Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited December 2006
    Lofthound!

Rankenphile on
    8406wWN.png
  • Options
    InxInx Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Knight of Hall, reporting, SIR!

Inx on
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    Did... did Sonar get eaten by a wandering Nonsuch?

DarkPrimus on
  • Options
    Zetetic ElenchZetetic Elench Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    DarkPrimus wrote:
    Did... did Sonar get eaten by a wandering Nonsuch?
    Quiet, fool! Do you want to get eaten too?

Zetetic Elench on
    nemosig.png
  • Options
    WearingglassesWearingglasses Of the friendly neighborhood variety Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    I shall join this group as another Knight of the Hall. My fists are yours to command.

Wearingglasses on
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    Allright.

Sorry I took so long to get back to this. From now on this will be undated regularly. I have an excuse but I doubt you want to hear it.

Anyway.

On with the show.

Sonar on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    Your Party is Formed.

DarkPrimus

Journeyist-

Int - 14
    Dex - 10
    Str - 10
    HT - 10

Your journey through the long road of magic has taught you many things. Most importantly: Don't eat the purple mushrooms. Especially the ones with pink spots
    Through the past (darkly) you have mastered 'magic' the power to bend your will to the physical world.

You may declare any effect save one. You may never will an object/person/animal to cease to exist. If you attempt to unmake something the effect will backfire and yourself will be unmade. Mother Natures a nasty bitch and she don't take to having her creations unmade.

Because this is your one great weakness, the one thing that can irrevocable take you from the world, it is constantly on your mind. If very tired or under strain a willpower roll will be required if you attempt a snap magic roll. A critical failure indicates you have made a slip.

You may say "Oops." as a final action.

Success and effect of any other effect tried for depends on a will role (int). Note: Any action you undertake drains you as if you physically have done the action. Therefore note that if you try to drop a mountain on someone you will probably fail and reside in a coma for an undetermined amount of time.

Other abilities:

You do not age.
    You are well known. Immortal wizards are the stuff of legends and childrens' horror stories.
    You have vast knowledge. Bonus to any role involving remembering something or finding something out using archival sources (books, scrolls, written word).

WARNING: You MUST choose 3 areas on which you have spend a few hundred years studying. You get a significant bonus to roles concerning those areas. The more specific those areas are, the better the bonus. Think "the sky" (small bonus) to "That piece of bark" (Automatic critical success).

Atro

Mauserguise

Int - 12
    Dex - 12
    Str - 10
    Ht - 10

You're good at a creeping in the shadows that is true... but where is the fun in that? You've been trained in the highest courts of spies, and loafed in the lowest corners of vile darkness. You maintain a thousand personalities and a hundred thousand names. You have invested in a handy card filer under your tunic to keep them all straight. It doesn't always work. Manipulation is key but so is maintaining your cover. As the merchant Saudi Shoal (As instanced) your reputation is spotless and if you make a business deal while pumping a merchant for information then by god you will make sure that the business deal is completed because you risk the persona otherwise.

Abilities:

You have a knife and you know how to use it. Unless completely implausible (striped nekkid) you always have at least one knife on you.

You can talk. Unless implausible, you can communicate with anyone. The communication must be physical in nature. (Talking/Gesturing/Writing/Jive)

You have resources. Your school finances you in return for information your spying generates. You can make good on a lot of stuff. However you may not be able to count on the school being able to have whatever you need ready when you need it. If you promised a load of cabbages on the docks tomorrow night at 1 in the morning you'd best go find those cabbages yourself.

WARNING:

If you are in a territory (you are always in a territory) you are IN CHARACTER. While you may be yourself to the party OR if you are on official school business, you MUST strive to maintain your current persona unless it is obvious either that they know who you are or partys (including you) life is in immediate danger. Breaking character will lose any benefits you enjoyed as that character in that territory and may endanger your personalities in other territories.

DOUBLE THREAT:

The Game Engine determines your personalities.

Sucker.

Inx

Knight of Hall

Int 10
    Dex 12
    Str 12
    Ht 10

When you ask for a drink, you ask for "waaaahtaaaaaah!". Trained from the ground up and down as a consummate warrior, you have a weapon and you know how to use it. No matter what an object is: you can use it as a melee weapon. Your hands, that branch, that cow, that building. You innately know how to hurt SOMETHING, SOMEHOW with whatever you are considering using as a weapon. After all, judo is the art of throwing the planet at your opponent.
    Abilities.

Use and abuse of items in ways gods never intended. See above.

ACTION HERO!

You may put off any damage done to you until the end of a quest. If desired, any damage done to you will be reserved until the end of a quest and then applied IN FULL. You will take physical damage, will hurt, get bloody, and rip your clothes in lurid fashion, but you will take no game mechanic penalties for wounds until the end of a quest. Damage put off may not be healed until applied after the quest has ended. Healers with mop buckets are standing by.

Unlimited Ki.

You gain an extra action for every enemy you face past the current number in the group. Failing ANY action nullifies all actions after it, PLUS you take damage for every action you failed to pull off.

Disadvantage!

No matter that you aren't; everyone outside of your party except for other Knights of Hall will automatically consider you to have an IQ of an ex-XFL player. Includes family and childhood friends who just assume you had an 'accident' during your training. You cannot convince them otherwise. Any thoughts of brilliance will be thought of as a one time thing if not ignored outright.

Rankenphile

Lofthound

Int 10
    Dex 14
    Str 10
    Ht 10

You like things that fly. Preferably with great precision and lethality.

This probably stems from the secret fact that all lofthounds would like to be able to fly and since they can't they take out their frustrations on everything else using instruments that fly. Your favorite meal is anything with wings. (HAH those feathers didn't save you from my dinner pot DID THEY!?.)

Your many hours spent shooting things down has given you uncanny agility.

Abilities

You ALWAYS hit your target provided you can see it using any thrown weapon. You may not do damage, but you will hit it.

You can DODGE. You may choose to not be hit. You may take an action and avoid ALL incoming attacks INCLUDING area effect. If you must cling to the ceiling using butt cheek suction to avoid that spilled acid then 'SLOPTH!' you are up there.

You can TINKER. Centuries of Lofthound efforts into ways to make mankind fly through mechanical means have given you insight into machinima. You have a bonus to understand machines, or make them yourself. Results are dependent of time and resources. You may recreate anything mechanical created before gunpowder became common in Western History. You may make your very own wooden cog and cat gut contraptions if you wish, at a significant penalty (based on feasibility) to your mechanics role.

You can SEE. If you can see something, you can see it clearly, as if it was standing next to you. If a book is open on a dias five stories down in 6 point Ariel you can read it.

Disadvantage!

You MUST target flying threats in a combat situation over ground threats unless in direct melee. In a stealth situation you must make a will role to avoid exposing yourself to hit a winged object if the shot could be considered an 'easy' shot. With your accuracy ability there are a LOT of easy shots out there.
    You MUST take any reasonable chance to fly for yourself. "Reasonable" as defined by someone who doesn't have a firm grasp on flight mechanics and centuries of hereditary repression. If offered cardboard wings and a handy cliff start making intelligence roles and praying hard for goods ones.

PARTY IS FULL

You may Query any character class to learn more of its back story.

ENTERING CAVE:

The gods have sent you on a quest that only they fathom, one that has taken centuries to manifest into a defining overarching plot worthy of only the finest Startrek fanfics. Journey forth brave adventurer!

You cannot recruit additional party members at this time.

You cannot go to town at this time.

*Error - line 0004311 Reference - Murple*

The login server is corrupt! Dead characters players may not log in until this is fixed!

A/R/C?

C

Sonar on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    Three areas of study, eh?

Metallurgy, specifically concerning the metals of the world that are usually used to construct armor and weapons.

Water, in all its forms. Clouds, snowflakes, rivers, etc.

And finally (after that one incident), I've been researching about poisonous flora and funghi- how to identify them and their effects if touched/consumed.

DarkPrimus on
  • Options
    RankenphileRankenphile Passersby were amazed by the unusually large amounts of blood.Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited December 2006
    I take out the cartridge, blow in it and reinsert it.

Rankenphile on
    8406wWN.png
  • Options
    SageinaRageSageinaRage Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Sonar wrote:
    You may declare any effect save one. You may never will an object/person/animal to cease to exist. If you attempt to unmake something the effect will backfire and yourself will be unmade. Mother Natures a nasty bitch and she don't take to having her creations unmade.

OOC:

You a Belgariad fan, or is this a coincidence?

SageinaRage on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    Not telling.

Sonar on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited December 2006

You find yourself in a darkened room, only a few scattered lichen light the dim cavern. The room is bare but for a few scattered pieces of straw and a wooden table.

A letter is on the table.

A corridor extends to the North.

You may:

E(x)it
    (E)xamine the note
    Go (N)orth
    (R)eview your objectives
    Check (I)nventory

Sonar on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    Check (I)nventory

DarkPrimus on
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    Check (I)nventory combo'd into (E)xamine the note.

Atro on
    pyramidsig0ds.png
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    Check (I)nventory and (E)xamine the note over the Mauserguise's shoulder.

Inx on
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    DarkPrimus

Inventory shows a worn shirt, trousers, and shoes.
    You have no gold.

Atro

Inventory shows a tattered shirt, trousers, and shoes.
    You have a (K)nife.
    You have no gold.

Inx

Inventory shows a worn shirt, trousers, and shoes.
    You have a (L)ongsword. {Standard Quality}
    You have no gold.

The Note reads:

"Note to guards.

For the last time do NOT leave your post without being relieved. You have to have a guide for each of the five rooms! Wandering outside of the barracks or the entrance without a guide is getting you guys killed faster than we can replace you!"

-You may add this note to your inventory-

WARNING: A Wandering Nonsuch may be nearby. It may be eyeing someone hungrily.

Sonar on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Mad JazzMad Jazz gotta go fast AustinRegistered User regular
    edited December 2006
    I so wish I had seen this. :(

Oh well, maybe next round.

Mad Jazz on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    I pocket the the note into my trousers.

"Probably nothing to worry about. What say we head north? Mr. Inx if you would kindly lead the way."

Atro on
    pyramidsig0ds.png
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    "With gusto, my friend Atro! For the Hall!"

I place my hand on the hilt of my longsword and take a strong stride to the (N)orth!

Inx on
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    (I)

Rankenphile on
    8406wWN.png
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    Rankenphile

(I)

Inventroy contains a worn shirt, trousers, and shoes.
    You have a satchel containing 20 Jost Poles {standard quality}
    You have no money.

Atro and Inx have gone North.

You are in a corridor lit by lichen. A brown mucus covers the floor and sticks to your shoes. Ahead is a closed door. The sound of loud snoring seems to be coming from within.

HT Check - Atro (*)
    HT Check - Inx (-)

Inx is feeling a bit sick.

Sonar on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    I motion for inx to remain silent and attempt to move silently to the door.

I place my ear against the wall and attemp to listen to the snores in hopes of ascertaining the size of the creature behind the wall.

I then procede to inspect the door. I look for the mechanism with which it operates and for any cracks or keyholes that I can use to peep through it.

Finally, I take my dagger and coat the tip of the blade in the brown mucous.

Atro on
    pyramidsig0ds.png
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    Go (N)orth

DarkPrimus on
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    I cover my mouth, taking my hand off the hilt of my sword.

"Oh, this might not end well..."

Inx on
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    Go (N)orth

Rankenphile on
    8406wWN.png
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    Rankenphile and Darkprimus go down the corridor.

HT Check Rankenphile (*)
    HT Check Darkprimus (*)

Atro presses his ears to the door.

(Stealth) [DEX] (*)
    (Listen Check) [INT] (*)

It sounds like several creatures are snoring behind the door. The snores aren't big or small.

Sonar on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    I gulp a few times, holding back bile.

"Atro," I whisper, "what do you hear? Shall we steel ourselves for inevitable conflict?"

Inx on
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    I see Inx's pale face, and look at the sludge covering the floor.

"I believe this substance is rather toxic. Let me take care of it."

I attempt to force all the goo to one side of the room, and freeze it in place.

DarkPrimus on
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    Darkprimus gathers his will.

[*]

With a rush of the spells release the brown goo smears its way to a corner and forms itself into a ball. It then freezes itself solid.

DarkPrimus uses 6 fatigue in the effort.

Dark Prims feels a tad worn.

Sonar on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    Throw Jost Pole at Brown Goo Ball.

Rankenphile on
    8406wWN.png
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    ((What stat measures fatigue, and how many total points do I have?))

DarkPrimus on
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    The brown goo now has a Jost Pole sticking out of it.

This made a loud thunk.

The snoring has stopped.

[Query - Fatigue]

Fatigue is directly measured by strength and by certain abilities that give you more fatigue.

At 0 Fatigue you are semi conscious.

Below 0 you must make a HT role per round based on your current HT to stay awake. You may only preform basic actions, such as crawling or complaining "not tonight honey, I have a headache".

You may regain some Fatigue by resting - 2 Fatigue for 10 minutes of rest, up to a total of STR. You regain Fatigue normally by sleeping.

Note that most people are considered to be resting and burning fatigue throughout the day.

Sonar on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    I think for a moment, and, gritting my teeth, I pick up the brown goo-ball by the Jost Pole.

"As grotesque as this is...You never know when such a substance can be put to good use, either as a mace, a fore-fed pill, or my favorite option..."

I grin mischeviously as I imagine applying the following to a monster larger than myself.

"A suppository."

Inx on
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    "Let me take a quick breather, okay? That was a lot of goo to move."

I rest for 10 minutes, unless we get interrupted. :P

DarkPrimus on
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    Inx holds up the goo.

Dark Primus is getting interrupted.

From inside you hear a gruff voice:

"Er! Yonch! Yer supposed to be on duty! C'mon get yer lazy sack outta that there bed!"

Sonar on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    I try to identify what sort of creature just spoke.

Also, I make sure my shoes are securely laced. (One doesn't live for hundreds of years by fighting all the time, you know.)

DarkPrimus on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    I take a position next to the door, my back to the wall.

Inx on