Options

Fitness Thread V

• Options
    devoirdevoir Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    So the basic groups are arms, triceps, chest, back, legs, shoulders.

Arms: Curls, both barbell and dumbbell.
    Triceps: Dips, seated dips, dumbbell tricep extensions.
    Chest: Barbell bench press, dumbbell bench press, dumbbell flies
    Back: Dumbbell rows, pullups (assisted or not if you can manage), I'm assuming there will be a lat pulldown machine in there somewhere, barbell rows if you're comfortable
    Legs: There should be a leg extension, leg curl and probably a leg press machine. Add in some calf raises if you can.
    Shoulders: Dumbbell shoulder press, lateral dumbbell raises.

Check out exrx.net or youtube on how to do the exercises. Make sure to do some warmup sets, and also stretch.

Seeing as you're just doing 3 weeks, do something like 1 x 5 warmup (approx 60%-70% weight), then 3 x 5 with 30 seconds to a minute rest between sets.

Warning: I am not a fitness instructor, and doing every exercise listed is probably too full on for you considering you are planning on doing starting strength when you get back to the gym. Make sure you pay attention to your form more than doing massive weights.

devoir on
  • Options
    Sunday_AssassinSunday_Assassin Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    there's no reason a hotel gym wouldn't allow deadlifts

they may not have enough weights to make them useful, but there's only one chain in the US that outright banned them. And even they don't enforce it everywhere.

They're not a 'real gym' only lift. Just grab the bar from the bench, put it on the floor and pick it up again. No one's gonna care.

If you've only got limited equipment, do everything you can, as heavy as you can. You only need a routine when you've got too many options, and more than 3 weeks to work with.

Sunday_Assassin on
  • Options
    Free HotelFree Hotel Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Free Hotel wrote: »
    Slow cooker question:

So I just picked up a slow cooker. Would this be a good chili recipe? I know it's pretty plain but I don't want to get too experimental too early.

1 lb lean ground beef
    1 can diced tomatoes
    1 can red kidney beans
    1 green pepper
    1 red pepper
    Some mushrooms
    Chili seasoning mix

Anything else I need to toss in there? Water? And if I want to add some tabasco/sriracha, should I do it before or after cooking?

Also, like 8 hours on low. Does that sound about right?

So I made the chili and it came out great! I changed the recipe a bit, based on the recommendations here:

1.5 lb lean ground beef
    1 large can diced tomatoes
    1 smaller can crushed tomatoes
    1 large can red kidney beans
    1 large can six-bean mix
    1 red pepper, chopped
    About 100 g of mushrooms, chopped
    4 celery stalks, chopped
    Chili seasoning mix
    2 spoonfuls of tomato sauce

Cooked for 7.5 hours on low in my slow cooker. It came out amazing, I loved it. I think next time I'll take out some beans and add more mushrooms, just because I don't like beans as much as I had them in this time. I'm also going to try it with ground turkey.

Anyways I fully recommend it to everyone. As far as I can see it was insanely healthy, high in fibre and protein, and delicious and it made up a ton of food.

Free Hotel on
  • Options
    Fizban140Fizban140 Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited August 2009
    Today at the gym I met a guy who is 149 pounds and can bench press 235, he said he use to do over 300. How is that even possible? I was spotting for him and I was afraid he was about to crush himself so I tried to pull the weight up and he told me to stop, then did 3 more reps. After that he did incline bench at 175 and then dumbell press with 80s. This guy is a beast.

For some reason though being near him makes me able to lift more. I was able to lift more on all my lifts today except flies which I did last but finished better than I usually do. This guy should be an olympic athlete right?

Fizban140 on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Depends on his form, ROM. Also the relationship between muscle strength and size is not necessarily balanced and even for all people.

Seeing videos of people (including girls) who are smaller than me doing significantly bigger lifts than me is always good for motivation.

devoir on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    I bet he was pretty short, too

Sunday_Assassin on
  • Options
    SelnerSelner Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    I think next time I'll take out some beans and add more mushrooms, just because I don't like beans as much as I had them in this time. I'm also going to try it with ground turkey.

I make a bean-less chili that gets complimented every time I make it.

I put in two pounds of ground buffalo, a package of sweet italian sausage and a package of mild italian sausage (chopped into 1-in cubes).
    Add a whole bunch of tomatoes, 6 jalepenos, a bunch of chili powder, some cumin, garlic, onion, diced green peppers and diced red peppers and probably some other stuff I'm forgetting.

It's extremely hot if you do all 6 jalepenos and the chili powder, so I've been doing half of what the recipe says and it's very good.

I don't use a slow-cooker though, and just cook it on the stove top.

Selner on
  • Options
    Shazkar ShadowstormShazkar Shadowstorm Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    buffalo is a great meat

Shazkar Shadowstorm on
    poo
  • Options
    RookRook Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Fizban140 wrote: »
    Today at the gym I met a guy who is 149 pounds and can bench press 235, he said he use to do over 300. How is that even possible? I was spotting for him and I was afraid he was about to crush himself so I tried to pull the weight up and he told me to stop, then did 3 more reps. After that he did incline bench at 175 and then dumbell press with 80s. This guy is a beast.

For some reason though being near him makes me able to lift more. I was able to lift more on all my lifts today except flies which I did last but finished better than I usually do. This guy should be an olympic athlete right?

If you ignore the little drug tests they have to do.

Rook on
  • Options
    piLpiL Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Will working out make you want to sleep more? I've never been much of a sleeper; six hours, wake up from hearing someone rolling over in bed down a hallway sort of thing. Maybe once a week, crash harder and longer if I hadn't slept well around then. Lately, I've been sleeping longer and harder; it's kind of nice, feels great, but it's unusual.

Edit: Or maybe I'm just getting lazy because of Summer.

piL on
  • Options
    Durandal InfinityDurandal Infinity Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Rook wrote: »
    Fizban140 wrote: »

If you ignore the little drug tests they have to do.

I seriously doubt he can do over 300, the guys that do that are walls with feet.

Durandal Infinity on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    If he used to be able to lift 300, he probably used to weigh a lot more than 149

but has probably never been more than 5'5

Sunday_Assassin on
  • Options
    Fizban140Fizban140 Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited August 2009
    He was my height so he was about 5'9 and he is in the military, so I doubt he uses any illegal steroids anymore. I am not really too knowledgeable on steroids so maybe there is some pretty safe stuff he could be taking, I have no idea. I didn't believe him when he said he use to do 300 but seeing him bench that much was impressive enough for me. He ended up only doing 3 reps of 235 but that was after a solid 5 of 215 I think.

Fizban140 on
  • Options
    Dr. FrenchensteinDr. Frenchenstein Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    i've seen some guys that appear tiny doing huge lifts in my gym. it's very disconcerting when i am twice their size, yet they are slapping on more plates than me.

Dr. Frenchenstein on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    piL wrote: »
    Will working out make you want to sleep more? I've never been much of a sleeper; six hours, wake up from hearing someone rolling over in bed down a hallway sort of thing. Maybe once a week, crash harder and longer if I hadn't slept well around then. Lately, I've been sleeping longer and harder; it's kind of nice, feels great, but it's unusual.

Edit: Or maybe I'm just getting lazy because of Summer.

I sleep closer to 8.5 hours a night when I really push myself consistently at the gym. Far more satisfying sleep than from before I used to work out.

devoir on
  • Options
    devCharlesdevCharles Gainesville, FLRegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Where do you guys find ground buffalo? Ever since I had it, I was like...my day has come. Do you have to go to like a specialty market or something?

So I'm in training for fall rugby. I want to switch to a fullback (I was a prop,) so I've been doing stairs. So many stairs. If you want to work on foot speed, stairs is one of the best things you can do. It's high impact, so not really for everyone. I honestly drop more weight doing stairs than running though.

devCharles on
    Xbox Live: Hero Protag
    SteamID: devCharles
    twitter: https://twitter.com/charlesewise
  • Options
    Shazkar ShadowstormShazkar Shadowstorm Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    what's your routine for doing stairs? just run up them, or sprint, rest, sprint, or what?

Shazkar Shadowstorm on
    poo
  • Options
    EtheaEthea Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    devCharles wrote: »
    Where do you guys find ground buffalo? Ever since I had it, I was like...my day has come. Do you have to go to like a specialty market or something?

My local butcher stocks buffalo, you could try phoning butchers in your area.

Ethea on
  • Options
    edited August 2009

The normal grocery stores around here stock it. I've found it at Giant and Wegman's. I think it's the Great Range brand, website: http://www.greatrangebison.com/ . There's a list of retailers on the site.
    It comes in 1 lb squares (that I cut into four pieces to make burgers).

Selner on
  • Options
    foggratfoggrat Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    I'm 5'11", and I finally got up the nerve to weigh myself at the gym, came in at 314. I'd like to move out of the "land whale" category and into the "person" category (shooting for maybe 200). Over the past 2 weeks I've completely changed the way I eat, and traded in my wow account for a gym membership. Ever since I started, I've walked 3 miles a day every day at 3.0 mph. This puts me at 80% heart rate, although over the past couple days I've had to add some incline to maintain that. (good sign?)

I'm eating 1630 calories per day, which is on the low end according to the OP, and I'm pretty consistent about what I'm eating. I have two questions for the gurus in this thread:

1. I tried some weight lifting, but I found it frankly uncomfortable socially and was tired very fast compared to cardio. Can I postpone this until I've lost a good portion of the weight as long as I don't mind looking like a beanpole, or is this going to cause problems?

2. Is less than 1800 calories going to hurt me in the long term? My body is telling me it's satisfied with what I'm feeding it, I have a good level of energy (ironically better than when I was eating 3000+ calories a day). There's zero danger of me flipping out and attacking a buffet. I'd like to maximize weight loss, is 1630 calories going to kill me?

Going to post my calorie breakdown below, spoilered for long
    Breakfast
    =============
    2xEgg = 200 cal
    1xYogurt = 180 cal

Lunch
    =============
    Variable, but I shoot for = 550 cal

Dinner
    =============
    (Small) Chicken Breast - 240 cal
    Starch - 300 cal
    Vegatable - 60 cal

Drinks
    =============
    Powerade - 100 cal

foggrat on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    foggrat wrote: »
    I'm 5'11", and I finally got up the nerve to weigh myself at the gym, came in at 314. I'd like to move out of the "land whale" category and into the "person" category (shooting for maybe 200). Over the past 2 weeks I've completely changed the way I eat, and traded in my wow account for a gym membership. Ever since I started, I've walked 3 miles a day every day at 3.0 mph. This puts me at 80% heart rate, although over the past couple days I've had to add some incline to maintain that. (good sign?)

I'm eating 1630 calories per day, which is on the low end according to the OP, and I'm pretty consistent about what I'm eating. I have two questions for the gurus in this thread:
    Breakfast
    =============
    2xEgg = 200 cal
    1xYogurt = 180 cal

Lunch
    =============

Dinner
    =============
    Starch - 300 cal
    Vegatable - 60 cal

Drinks
    =============
    Powerade - 100 cal

The first thing people are going to say is you need to eat 6 small meals each day, with an aim for more calories. You need lots more fruit and vegetables daily. Use something like Daily Plate to track your food.

Ethea on
  • Options
    SpherickSpherick Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    foggrat wrote: »

1. I tried some weight lifting, but I found it frankly uncomfortable socially and was tired very fast compared to cardio. Can I postpone this until I've lost a good portion of the weight as long as I don't mind looking like a beanpole, or is this going to cause problems?

2. Is less than 1800 calories going to hurt me in the long term? My body is telling me it's satisfied with what I'm feeding it, I have a good level of energy (ironically better than when I was eating 3000+ calories a day). There's zero danger of me flipping out and attacking a buffet. I'd like to maximize weight loss, is 1630 calories going to kill me?

Breakfast
    =============
    2xEgg = 200 cal
    1xYogurt = 180 cal

Lunch
    =============

Dinner
    =============
    Starch - 300 cal
    Vegatable - 60 cal

Drinks
    =============
    Powerade - 100 cal

1. You really should be lifting if you want to lose weight. Not only does muscle up your rested metabolic rate (which means you burn more "sitting on your ass" calories), but it also keeps what muscle you have intact while losing weight. The body doesn't like muscle. It takes more calories to maintain muscle than fat and your body is built for survival. So unless you tell your body (through lifting) that you need that muscle, it will eat it first. If you have a gym membership, then go to the gym and lift. 99% of the people at the gym dont give a flying fuck about anyone else there and the 1% that might might stare or mock you are beneath your notice as human beings. Don't feel so self conscious. Check out Tube's plan or Rippetoe's Starting Strength for plans. Once you start going you will feel better about yourself and the weight will slough off in no time man!

2. You should really be getting more calories. At least 2k. Which leads me to your diet. You want to eat AT LEAST 5 meals a day. Usually within 2-3 hours of each other. I suggest adding milk to your breakfast and adding 1 egg. To lunch, try and cook a chicken breast the night before and bring it with you to work along with some salad greens and a low-fat olive oil based dressing. But for a snack after breakfast and before lunch, have a banana and some milk. Skim milk will be your best friend. It is really good for you on a macronutrient scale and it is good, clean calories that will bring you to your 2k+ goal easily. If you do weight lift look into protein shakes. I recommend this stuff. Also, no need to have a starch with your dinner. You shouldn't have carbs close to going to bed for a number of reasons im sure someone can explain better than I.

Good luck man and don't worry about others at the gym. You all are there for the same reason.

Spherick on
  • Options
    edited August 2009

I don't see anything to drink in that list. Are you just drinking water or something? Everything you drink is more calories.
    If you haven't already, stop drinking soda, it cuts out a crazy amount of "empty" calories.

As mentioned, using some sort of calorie tracker like Daily Plate is a good idea to figure out how many calories you're eating. Just be sure and include *everything* you are eating and drinking.

If you're really uncomfortable with weights, you can always look into a personal trainer (if your gym offers one). Trainers can be kind of hit or miss on whether they know what they're talking about though.

Selner on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Selner wrote: »
    I don't see anything to drink in that list. Are you just drinking water or something? Everything you drink is more calories.
    If you haven't already, stop drinking soda, it cuts out a crazy amount of "empty" calories.

I cut out soda completely, before I was drinking probably honestly 800+ calories a day just in soda (+ the incidental juice, etc).

At this point, I drink nothing but water except 100 calories of powerade after the gym (which I included in the summary). I mix it 1/2 and 1/2 with water, it's my reward for busting my tail :)

foggrat on
  • Options
    SpherickSpherick Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Milk! Drink your milk!

Spherick on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Losing weight isn't about starving yourself.

Ethea on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Spherick wrote: »
    Milk! Drink your milk!

That's probably not a bad idea, I could bring myself up to 1800 with that, and I probably need more calcium than 1 serving of yogurt can provide.

foggrat on
  • Options
    EriicEriic Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    So, I'm currently paying $35 a month just to use the free weights at my gym. If I had a bench and a power cage for squats I could do everything at home.

http://inlandempire.craigslist.org/spo/1306993016.html

Is this a good deal? Will that rack work for squats?

Eriic on
    ^gerber rep ◕ ◡ ◕ nerdy.us | last.fm | XBL: e5x
  • Options
    Dr. FrenchensteinDr. Frenchenstein Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Spherick wrote: »
    Milk! Drink your milk!

I told you Hannibal, i aint gettin on that plane.

Dr. Frenchenstein on
  • Options
    TheRealBadgerTheRealBadger Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Eriic wrote: »
    So, I'm currently paying $35 a month just to use the free weights at my gym. If I had a bench and a power cage for squats I could do everything at home.

http://inlandempire.craigslist.org/spo/1306993016.html

Is this a good deal? Will that rack work for squats?

Looks pretty good. I mean, you probably won't want to be squatting near failure because you don't have anything to bail onto (I guess you could throw the bar back over your head like Lee Moran did but that didn't work out so well for him so you might want to avoid it).

Otherwise, if you've got the space then a home gym is an excellent idea. Remember though that plates are pretty pricey so if you need more than what's in the listing there you might want to factor those into the cost now.

Also, for inspiration, part two of that Lee Moran story is here

TheRealBadger on
  • Options
    devCharlesdevCharles Gainesville, FLRegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
    what's your routine for doing stairs? just run up them, or sprint, rest, sprint, or what?

I basically do this at The Swamp (the stadium where The Gators play,) so I have the room to basically do a big zigzag. I go up a flight, hit one of the spans in between and jog across, then go up another flight. It's a big stadium, so I can do a lot more going up, which is definitely preferable.

People really do stairs in two different ways. Either you go up and down over and over, or you do the soccer style for building endurance. This is easily done at most high schools where they have a track and two bleacher stands. You run up the stairs at the beginning of the bleachers, run across the top level, and then go down the bleachers. You then follow the track around to the other side and do it again. If you're looking to play soccer or rugby, this is a great conditioning tool.

devCharles on
    Xbox Live: Hero Protag
    SteamID: devCharles
    twitter: https://twitter.com/charlesewise
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    I've never actually counted my calories closely, I've just basically eyeballed everything based on nutritional information and rough guesttimates regarding my serving sizes.

Decided I needed to get serious about it, took a look around and www.calorieking.com (for the US) and www.calorieking.com.au (for Australia) seems to do the trick really well. You can create preset meals, save them for use later, get a rough idea of how many calories your exercise is burning, get PCF split information, etc, etc. The only area I've found it lacking in is that it doesn't include a preset exercise for rowing. But even that's not an issue as I created a custom one and now I use it everytime I have a rowing day.

I know that other people use fitday and the dailyplate, has anyone used all three? And what did you settle on?

After plugging in a couple of days worth of food and drinks from last week I found that I was pretty much bang on where I thought I was calorie-wise. My protein/carbs/fat split was a bit out of whack, but nothing that a little tweaking couldn't fix for the future.

devoir on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Don't bother keeping track of 'calories burned'. It's impossible to be anywhere near accurate.

Sunday_Assassin on
  • Options
    KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Question about working out with weights. As I begin to increase the weight lifted, do I am to reduce, keep the same, or increase the actual reps?

Kyougu on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    I cut out soda completely, before I was drinking probably honestly 800+ calories a day just in soda (+ the incidental juice, etc).

At this point, I drink nothing but water except 100 calories of powerade after the gym (which I included in the summary). I mix it 1/2 and 1/2 with water, it's my reward for busting my tail

You could probably benefit from drinking more than just water.

Other folks in this thread have pointed out that caffiene has beneficial properties as well. I myself basically subbed in hot green tea (sweetened with local honey) in most of the places where I was drinking soda.

And as mentioned, milk does a body good. Drink some :) .

Selner on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Kyougu wrote: »
    Question about working out with weights. As I begin to increase the weight lifted, do I am to reduce, keep the same, or increase the actual reps?

That would depend on the plan, but the majority will increase the weight while keeping the number of sets and reps constant.

Ethea on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Don't bother keeping track of 'calories burned'. It's impossible to be anywhere near accurate.

I'm aware of the issues with accuracy, it's more having a general idea of how the exercise impacts what I expend versus my rest days.

devoir on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    It's irrelevant. If you're training hard and heavy energy requirements day-to-day won't even vary that much.

A surplus on a rest day will be utilised for recovery. You're going to see a drop off in progress if you start adapting your diet to daily exercise levels. "Expenditure" covers more than that.

Even if the human body were a basic calories in vs. calories out machine that wouldn't make sense.

Sunday_Assassin on
  • Options
    KhavallKhavall British ColumbiaRegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Wohoo, lost another 3-4ish pounds last week, and my blood pressures now down to 112/68.

Khavall on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    It's irrelevant. If you're training hard and heavy energy requirements day-to-day won't even vary that much.

A surplus on a rest day will be utilised for recovery. You're going to see a drop off in progress if you start adapting your diet to daily exercise levels. "Expenditure" covers more than that.

Even if the human body were a basic calories in vs. calories out machine that wouldn't make sense.

I'm dropping bodyfat. I'm well aware my strength progress is going to slow or stop for the duration.

Edit: Probably came off too harsh. For the record, I've put on over 10 kilos of mostly lean mass in the last six months, increased all my major compound lifts on a regular basis and now I've reached something of a goal in both of mass gained and strength, I'm just experimenting based on stuff I've read/discussed with other people. I'm not doing anything drastic, and in no way am I recommending this for someone starting out.

devoir on
This discussion has been closed.